• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

So I beat the
Pirate Ship
dungeon earlier, great boss btw. And I'm working my way toward I think
Fire Sanctuary
after I endure the last Tears of Light fetch quest (thank god). And to top off a great moment in 2011 gaming me and the fiance are going through a pregnancy scare... :( Bittersweet way to remember SS, anyway.

Oh shit bars gone...my TV is not shit...or cheap.

Thanks btw...lol

Edit: bars come up during cut scenes...I guess to be more cinematic or something...

How did you get them to go away? As best I can tell my wii is on the correct settings (I also don't have a cheap tv and have never had this problem before)

Xane

Just started and I have to say that Motion plus is acting all kinds of funky. I do a horizontal slash and the game registers it as a diagonal slash 4 out of 10 times while I do an overhead vertical slash and it registers it as an underhand slash 7 out of 10 times. Is this due to software or due to the hardware?

It's just due to the person
(You)
Personally, I never had any problems with WM+ throughout my ~62 hours.

jackdoe

It's just due to the person
(You)
Personally, I never had any problems with WM+ throughout my ~62 hours.
Technically, that would still fall under hardware or software issues not correctly registering my movements. I don't know, maybe I'll sit even straighter (or even stand up), or exaggerate movements even more than I'm doing right now. It is just frustrating as hell so I took a break.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so I had to stop after I reached the surface since the light from our windows made the projector look washed out and hard to watch. But now its dark enough for me to really pour some time into this and....oh my god, I'm in love. The visuals are amazing. The controls are perfect. Yes, it does still feel like Zelda in all the small ways, from the noises when you pick up items to the voices and text boxes. And I needed this. I'd forgotten just what a Zelda game can do for me. I'm so excited right now.

defferoo

Technically, that would still fall under hardware or software issues not correctly registering my movements. I don't know, maybe I'll sit even straighter (or even stand up), or exaggerate movements even more than I'm doing right now. It is just frustrating as hell so I took a break.

could be your configuration? maybe calibration issues because you have some stray IR in the room?

daakusedo

Just to know if everyone try a vertical slash on the back of big bokoblin? Because that's the first thing I wanted to do.

Loosing to the second godess trial, I learned a smart advice, go find the farthest tears first, this hopeless feeling of having an empty endurance meter with those guardians behind, my god...

Oh and they just sold me poetry
with the chronolite boat changing the sand into water and the captain tied to it to live and you going to his house full of memories with the beautiful music inside.

Really enjoying this game, after all the negativity, I almost believed it wouldn't be fun. The game itself has put many of those complaints into perspective.

I have had some difficulty with the WM+ occasionally, but much of it for me is learning how to use it, also paying attention to where and how I'm swinging the sword.

Haunted

Was waiting all day for someone to call Link Zelda so I could post this.

nWfy3.png

GAF is just too knowledgeable. :/

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I just remembered one of the funniest moments I encountered earlier. I won't spoil the whole thing, but everyone should
sleep in the bed in Beedle's shop.
. It leads to one hilarious conversation.

Wish I had time to play this, still too busy with 3D Land and Metroid Prime Triolgy disc which is still in my backlog thanks to me still needing to finish both Echoes and Corruption. One quick question I have for those that have the CD, is it the tracks recorded in the chapel setting which have been posted on Nintendo Video or is it the live symphony performances?

Cheska

Okay, so playing right handed isn't at all bad like I expected it to be, I'm usually completely useless because of my lack of ambidexterity. Beginning is just so serene, the music is absolutely sensational,and I almost found myself tearing up at the cutscene with Zelda (who is adorable!) and Link.

Smellycat

Just finished playing my first session. I clocked around 3 hours and 15 minutes. I am currently at
Faron woods, trying to dowse for those little creatures
. So far the game has been fantastic! I don't understand why people say the beginning is slow. It sets up the relationship between Zelda and Link and all of the other characters in a great way. So far, I haven't really experienced any of the complaints about the controls. The sword controls are very responsive and the flying part is a lot of fun. The only part I am having trouble with is the tight rope walking. Maintaining balance isn't the problem, the problem is trying to avoid those spike bombs on ropes. An option for "jolting" comes up when you are near them and when you thrust the Wiimote, Link jumps but the spikes don't fall. How many times do you have to do that?

Chris R

Just stopped by my local Best Buy. They were out of the controller edition. Oh well. I guess I just have to wait and see what BF brings, because if I can't find it for ~60 by then I'll just wait and buy it sometime next year after I've beaten TP.

Meier

I have to update my Wii if I want to play Zelda.. is this going to fux with my homebrew stuff for Xenoblade Chronicles?

gdt

Okay, 10 minutes in. How do I get rid of the hud? The controller shadow is killing my screen.

Good lord, the jaggies on my plasma :/.

Combine

Banned
Ugh. FUUUU Amazon. What's the point of pre-ordering if you ain't gonna ship the damn thing on release day. Still isn't even in the "Shipping Soon" category either. Gonna be pissed if I don't get it for Thanksgiving.

*assumed late game spoilers*
The
Hylian
shield is mine and I had to leap through some unexpected hoops to obtain it.
I can see this shield being easily skipped by many since it requires a boss rush to obtain, I hate abomination part 2, I failed it the first time (not boss rush) due to various silliness from both me and the game itself so of course it ends up being my last boss rush fight just to strike the fear into me.

I'm still not sure what to think about this game but I will say that for me the desert has been the weakest area and the volcano my favourite.

Ragus

Banned
So, what's the deal with backtracking? Is it more like metroid backtracking (place X was previously unreachable, but now with this new item you can go back and enter that place) or more like the one in DS Zeldas' (one place where you have to come back quite often and do the same boring shit)?

Tadale

If anybody is feeling disappointed with the beginning, or even the first two dungeons, just give it a little time. The third area is really amazing - hope the game gets even better from here.

Zekes!

Dunno how people are complaining about the aiming; I just got the slingshot a bit ago and have been messing around, and it's completely fine. In fact, it's kind of awesome since I don't have to point at the screen.

For those that have the CD, is it the tracks recorded in the chapel setting which have been posted on Nintendo Video or is it the live symphony performances?

CassSept

So, what's the deal with backtracking? Is it more like metroid backtracking (place X was previously unreachable, but now with this new item you can go back and enter that place) or more like the one in DS Zeldas' (one place where you have to come back quite often and do the same boring shit)?
The first one.

I'm still not sure what to think about this game but I will say that for me the desert has been the weakest area and the volcano my favourite.
I'm completely the opposite. I think Eldin is the weakest area, while Lanayru is fantastic (and this is coming from someone who generally hates desert-themed areas in games).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Back to the Forest, I think I'm in love. It feels like a Zelda, only more visceral, and plays obviously like no other game.

Magnus

Serious, non-troll question.

Something is very wrong with the way this game looks on my Wii. These visual problems generally only become apparent in darker areas in the game where lighting is lower, most especially dungeons. And it becomes most obvious when I allow a wall, floor or other surface to take up the majority of the screen.

Textures/surfaces look incredibly cloudy and muddied up. The visuals suffer from what looks like a compressed 240 YouTube video or something. Worse than that, I get visible vertical lines all across the screen, again, more readily apparent on darker parts of the overall image. They're greyish black and aren't tied to particular objects in the game, but are almost overlaid on top of the entire image.

I apologize for the confusing description. I just don't know the correct terminology to describe what I'm seeing. When I play next, I'll take photos to capture the issue.

It seriously mars the overall display. I know this can't be what the game is supposed to look like. I've never encountered this issue with other Wii titles, including Galaxy and Xenoblade.

Hylian7

So I think I ran into a bug while playing last night. I explored the island with the bamboo-cutting minigame. The guy asked me if I would like to play, and it cost 10 rupees. I had 11 rupees. I said yes, and then he gave me a response like I didn't have enough. What the fuck?

Thoraxes

So I think I ran into a bug while playing last night. I explored the island with the bamboo-cutting minigame. The guy asked me if I would like to play, and it cost 10 rupees. I had 11 rupees. I said yes, and then he gave me a response like I didn't have enough. What the fuck?

You forgot the tax.

bionic77

Just started and I have to say that Motion plus is acting all kinds of funky. I do a horizontal slash and the game registers it as a diagonal slash 4 out of 10 times while I do an overhead vertical slash and it registers it as an underhand slash 7 out of 10 times. Is this due to software or due to the hardware?
I had the same problem and for me it was because I had not used the Wii for like 3 years and forgot how to use it.

I almost have it down 100% now. It is hard to describe, but I feel like you have to control your momentum to make the swing accurate. If you just wave it around like crazy it will not work. Just like with the other Wii games it takes a little bit of practice.

Game is more challenging for me than I thought it was going to be based on peoples' early impressions.

Punks

How does the DOF filter look on a regular TV?? I've seen pictures on the Dolphin thread and it looks hideous, a blurred mess.

RedSwirl

Dear God. In one day I've spent almost as much time with this game as I have with three days of RAGE, and I like RAGE a lot (for a lot of the same reasons too). I'm just running around, doing errands and solving puzzles, but I still love it.

The motion controls take a bit of getting used to but you gotta realize that you need to deliberately hold your sword in the intended direction, almost like getting into a stance, and the slash.

Nintendo has also done a better job with characters in this game than ever before. You could tell they were ramping up in that department with Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks, but they've outdone themselves here. Looking at each vendor in the bazaar is what got me. They all manage to be so expressive and colorful despite the old hardware and lack of voice acting. Truly a case of art over tech.

Ragus

Banned
Serious, non-troll question.

Something is very wrong with the way this game looks on my Wii. These visual problems generally only become apparent in darker areas in the game where lighting is lower, most especially dungeons. And it becomes most obvious when I allow a wall, floor or other surface to take up the majority of the screen.

Textures/surfaces look incredibly cloudy and muddied up. The visuals suffer from what looks like a compressed 240 YouTube video or something. Worse than that, I get visible vertical lines all across the screen, again, more readily apparent on darker parts of the overall image. They're greyish black and aren't tied to particular objects in the game, but are almost overlaid on top of the entire image.

I apologize for the confusing description. I just don't know the correct terminology to describe what I'm seeing. When I play next, I'll take photos to capture the issue.

It seriously mars the overall display. I know this can't be what the game is supposed to look like. I've never encountered this issue with other Wii titles, including Galaxy and Xenoblade.

I also have those things you talk about. They are only seen in darker areas. But what is interesting is the fact, that they were much more visible on my component cable. When I changed back to composite - all those "glitches" started to be almost invisible.

How does the DOF filter look on a regular TV?? I've seen pictures on the Dolphin thread and it looks hideous, a blurred mess.

It looks beautiful.

jonno394

Why all the hate for the
swimming
(not sure if spoiler worthy but prelude to dungeon 4) mechanics. I think they work perfectly. So fluid once you get past the initial minute or two.

RedSwirl

I haven't seen it in the Dolphin thread but I appreciate it here. I can see they're going for an impressionist painting look with the way the DOF looks.

Anth0ny

Why all the hate for the
swimming
(not sure if spoiler worthy but prelude to dungeon 4) mechanics. I think they work perfectly. So fluid once you get past the initial minute or two.

One of my least favorite ways they implemented the motion controls. Wait until later, the part I'm on is frustrating as fuck, and it has to do with swimming.

cajunator

Banned
I have towork now, but in the game I just reached the surface and the art style is gorgeus. So far this game is an absolute joy to play. The motion controls are responsive enough for me. The only negative that I agree with so far, is the tutorials and handholding are exccessive. Should be a way to turn that off.

Top Bottom