• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anyone have any tips for making this look better on an HDTV?

Turn off all post-processing options that are meant to make your picture look better, like colour filters, visual entertainment modes, set it to game mode if it has one - and lower the sharpness to zero (it'll only enhance the aliasing).

Getting over the learning curve with the controls has been quite interesting.

I think the trick is to remember where your normal holding position is. You can flail around as much as you want, but try to establish one neutral position at all times and return to it once combat is over.

That's how I'm stopping myself from re-calibrating constantly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
35 hours down the drain so far.

I never would have thought that I would use the word intense for a boss-fight in a Zelda game but there you go, last night the fight I had against
the second form of the Imprisoned
was so goddamn intense.

Nearly at the end, I think. A rather enjoyable journey so far--not without its faults, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Getting over the learning curve with the controls has been quite interesting.

I think the trick is to remember where your normal holding position is. You can flail around as much as you want, but try to establish one neutral position at all times and return to it once combat is over.

That's how I'm stopping myself from re-calibrating constantly.

The important thing that I didn't realise at first; once you get one hit in you usually have the freedom to strike 2 or 3 more times without them defending (depending on the enemy obviously). So the early enemies I used to be careful with I can take out in a second now I realise it only takes one "clean" hit.

McNum

got it earlier today and did about an hour in so far

started off pretty boring as usual and i thought it dragged on a lot

but then,
when you pull out the sword yourself...HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS COOL AND EPIC!
FUCKING CHILLS ALL OVER MAN.

cant wait to play more of this
Some games have a defining moment where you know that this game is going to be great and/or be awful. Skyward Sword's moment is that one. When I saw the prompt telling me to
hold the Wii Remote upside down in the "ready position" and then tell me to pull
I knew that this game was going to be good. so far, it's kept up with that promise.

Also, where do you continue from if you die? I've gotten close, but not quite died yet, but I figure I might as well ask. Last Bird Statue or area/dungeon entrance? Really, if you spent money on filling bottles and die to a boss after using them all, you probably want to reload anyway, though. Unless you keep the bottle content, but I figure you won't.

Kifimbo

35 hours down the drain so far.

I never would have thought that I would use the word intense for a boss-fight in a Zelda game but there you go, last night the fight I had against
the second form of the Imprisoned
was so goddamn intense.

Yeah.
Groose saved the day!

Red UFO

Also, where do you continue from if you die? I've gotten close, but not quite died yet, but I figure I might as well ask. Last Bird Statue or area/dungeon entrance? Really, if you spent money on filling bottles and die to a boss after using them all, you probably want to reload anyway, though. Unless you keep the bottle content, but I figure you won't.
From the last bird statue you visited, not sure about the bottle thing though.

Orayn

Wellp, the first few hours beat the everloving hell out of Twilight Princess'. Can't wait to see what else is in store!

Dungeon 6 complete.

Ghirahim v2 was a very fun fight. Fire temple was pretty enjoyable as well. Took me a while to figure out you could stab the water pods. Imprisoned v2 fight was a pain in the ass. Mostly because a few times I would down him and there was no way to get around to hit the head. Realized something about the old lady at the sacred grounds, and feel like an idiot for not picking up on it sooner. Now wondering how long till the game itself reveals it.

those water pods, I was walking around for like 4 minutes in the room full of them and in my flailing frustration ended up stabbing one leading to my first true "AHA!" moment of the game. Ghirahim v2 was indeed fun, took me a while to figure out that the two varieties of spin attack were needed to defend against the encircling projectile attacks. Imprisoned part 2 genuinely enraged me, one of my bombs was denied due to a cut scene (that included my bomb hitting it as it scaled the wall, but it's a cut scene so no dice) allowing the beast to take one hell of a short cut and I don't think anyone's quite prepared for the unfortunate situation of exposing the weak point only to have the path blocked and the nearest air vent on the lower route inevitably gets blocked as well.

Cheska

6372859745_906359ce8b_z.jpg

Where did you get the gold classic controller pro?

I saw the guide at GameStop today, but it's $40, not sure I can justify that much for a guide that small :( Wish Amazon had it.

Also, I plugged in the component cables I just bought and the world looks BEAUTIFUL now, and cutscenes are crystal clear. BUT Link is so jaggy :/

McNum

From the last bird statue you visited, not sure about the bottle thing though.
Good to know. I do like a Zelda game that fights back. I think it all comes down to that most things do a full heart of damage, I've only seen bats do less. So even though you start with six hearts, it's still less actual hits than three hearts when enemies do a quarter heart damage.

This, of course, means that I expect to see bosses do 3-4 hearts of damage later.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
From my 35 hours experience, I really think people really do exaggerate too much about the faults of the Motion+.

"Oh no the flying controls suck!" No, they're fine.
"Oh no the swimming controls suck balls!" No, they're fine.
"Oh no the aiming sucks!" Hell no they're okay.
"Oh no the sword fight controls suck!" No, they're fine.

Really, I think people just love to exaggerate stuff just for the sake of exaggerating--one would think Nintendo goes out of the way to screw people with Motion+ or something.

LaneDS

Enjoying the game, but not loving it unfortunately.

I really dislike how the world is structured. Reminds me of what Jarrosh was saying in his impressions earlier about how boxy things can feel. Very few areas give you that sense of freedom and grandness I wish Zelda had more of (felt it a lot as a kid with the first few titles, and later with Wind Waker's sailing). The sky is... pretty boring. The few places to explore are tiny and not very exciting.

While the controls are mostly good, the amount of times I've had to mess with settings or recalibrate the remote are many. That takes away from the experience considerably. And the Motion+ stuff really isn't wowing me in ways I hoped it would (this is my first experience with Motion+, so expectations were clearly too high). Definitely some cool bits but I would be happier with combat being button based instead. Using the items with the Motion+ is largely pretty great though.

My biggest problem with the game is how fetch questy the whole thing feels after the third dungeon. I am surprised by how much backtracking and rehashing the game has. Feels like a lot of padding at times. Fi strongly hinting at what to do constantly compounds things, and the "you collected a butterfly!" message appearing again once after every reload is pretty maddening. Just some silly design choices.

Like a lot of impressions though, I will say that despite all the things that bug me about the game it is still very enjoyable. Even lesser Zelda games are still pretty stellar, and I am sure most of my gripes just come from holding the series to a higher standard (and expecting things from the series I probably shouldn't). For me, if it were a ten point scale I'd throw it somewhere in the 8 to 9 range (6 dungeons in, for reference).

Just got my copy with gold Wiimote and orchestra CD...but my Wii is doing the whole graphical artifacts/burned-out GPU thing. :(

I am probably going to have to wait a month before playing this game...oh god.

Zomba13

So I'm at the point of no return now.

Wow.

This game is so good. 31 hours so far with a fair few sidequests etc done.

I have had some problems with the controls, mostly my nunchuck deciding to hold a certain direction after some fights (very rare) but I don't know if that is the game/M+ or my nunchuck being a bit faulty (it has fallen on the floor quite a bit) and a few problems with the sword fighting but I think that is more my fault (small, wrist movements/waggle and frantic slashing. I get excited easily >.<).

Other than that my only other problem that is dampening my enjoyment a smidge is the jaggies. Obviously would be sorted if I played via Dolphin but My wiimote/bluetooth thing stopped working on that again.

I can't wait to see what Nintendo do with Zelda on the WiiU. Hopefully they keep the SS combat. Would be a shame having to go back to a traditional controller.

EDIT: Oh yeah. And this Zelda really makes me want Voice acting in the next one. Not for Link, he can (and should) stay mute. I really think it would have added a lot to the characters if they had full voice. I mean, in my head I've got the voices that each character sounds like based off of their grunts and personalities and it would have been so good to actually hear them.

Cheska

Probably from the Goldeneye bundle.
That's right!! Thank you.

YES SOMEONE ANSWER THIS MAN'S QUESTION

I need that controller! Will I ever get the chance again, other than going to Walmart on Black Friday?

Its already sold out at most retailers unless you pre-ordered. Black Friday at Walmart seems like it will be one of the only places that you will be able to get this at, but then at you'll be dealing with worst store and most obnoxious crowd with a slim chance of actually getting the game.

Skyward Sword looks absolutely amazing on my TV. I don't see any jaggies when I play.
I just finished the 2nd dungeon, first time I've died in a Zelda game since LTTP.
So far, Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess.

Darryl

Banned
can someone help me i'm so lost lol, first temple spoilers

i'm at the first temple (i think), i've managed to hit some of the switches that adjust the water levels, but I can't find out where to go next. there's 4 rooms in the main area, one backwards being the exit, straight ahead locked with no key, one to the left that I hit a switch in to adjust the water level, and one to the right that I found a passage on the floor with a water-level switch, but now I'm just stuck. i got a map, no key, can't kill the big spiders. sooo confused

cajunator

Banned
I really like the flying controls and how Link uses the
sailcloth
I can't stop thinking about this game and I haven't even gotten anywhere!

Anth0ny

Skyward Sword looks absolutely amazing on my TV. I don't see any jaggies when I play.
I just finished the 2nd dungeon, first time I've died in a Zelda game since LTTP.
So far, Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess.

So far, Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

And I fucking adore Wind Waker.

i'm at the first temple (i think), i've managed to hit some of the switches that adjust the water levels, but I can't find out where to go next. there's 4 rooms in the main area, one backwards being the exit, straight ahead locked with no key, one to the left that I hit a switch in to adjust the water level, and one to the right that I found a passage on the floor with a water-level switch, but now I'm just stuck. i got a map, no key, can't kill the big spiders. sooo confused

I got stuck there too.

Go back into the larger room, before the room that you changed the water level with the skulltulla. On the left side of the room (facing the locked door), there should be a switch under water. You need to hit that. I believe there is another switch above water that you need to hit too.

I've only just gotten the sailcloth, but this is definitely the best Zelda ever (character that is). And I couldn't help but smile when it said "It smells nice too" in small letters.

The important thing that I didn't realise at first; once you get one hit in you usually have the freedom to strike 2 or 3 more times without them defending (depending on the enemy obviously). So the early enemies I used to be careful with I can take out in a second now I realise it only takes one "clean" hit.
True, I started to realize this a few hours in. Still, the bokoblins are surprisingly persistent little assholes.

I love that even minor enemies present an actual challenge in this game. It's such a huge improvement.

McNum

Christ on a cracker I'm having my ass handed to me by the first boss in a Zelda game
Isn't it great, though? I love that they actually made the first boss like that. A straight up
swordsmanship challenge. If you aren't good with the sword before the fight, you will be after it.
Gotta admire Nintendo's confidence in their own game and controls there.

I think I know what you're talking about.
If I remember it right, there's a floating log on the east side of the room with the locked door, if you've raised the water level twice. Dash across it and jump to reach the vines on the wall, then climb up and enter the eastern room through the back door, behind the spiders. You'll have to fight a spider and solved an eye puzzle, then you get the key to the door.
Hope that helps.

RedSwirl

Holy shit. It has just hit me how much work Nintendo put into characterizing the population of Skyloft.

Running around at night made me finally realize every character in Skyloft has their own house (or place where they sleep) and family. Walking into houses and realizing this dude I saw on an Island is the father of this chick from the bazaar is slightly mind blowing. And then you realize you should've known all along since they look alike.

Caelus

I succeeded in getting SS to look gorgeous on my TV, no jaggies, but a clear, sharp picture with tons of detail and a nice color level.

Here are my settings:

Backlight: 0
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
Color Temp: Warm 2
Tint: R2
Sharpness: 100
Digital Reality Creation: Mode 1 Detail 100 Reality 100
Black Corrector: off
Gamma: off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: off
live color: off
clear white: off
color space: normal
detail enhancer: off
edge enhancement: off

The Max sharpness may seem bad to you guys, but the digital reality creation makes sure there are no jaggies but a lot of detail. Even when I stood as close as possible the aliasing artifacts seemed microscopic. It's even better when sitting a couple of feet away, and the animations and painting effect are lovely. I think this is the best looking Zelda game to date.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay,
the hearts on the side of the Girahim fight are literally useless since in the time it takes you to grab them he sets himself up for an unavoidable charge attack.

Magnus

Serious, non-troll question.

Something is very wrong with the way this game looks on my Wii. These visual problems generally only become apparent in darker areas in the game where lighting is lower, most especially dungeons. And it becomes most obvious when I allow a wall, floor or other surface to take up the majority of the screen.

Textures/surfaces look incredibly cloudy and muddied up. The visuals suffer from what looks like a compressed 240 YouTube video or something. Worse than that, I get visible vertical lines all across the screen, again, more readily apparent on darker parts of the overall image. They're greyish black and aren't tied to particular objects in the game, but are almost overlaid on top of the entire image.

I apologize for the confusing description. I just don't know the correct terminology to describe what I'm seeing. When I play next, I'll take photos to capture the issue.

It seriously mars the overall display. I know this can't be what the game is supposed to look like. I've never encountered this issue with other Wii titles, including Galaxy and Xenoblade.

Anyone? Please. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Okay,
the hearts on the side of the Girahim fight are literally useless since in the time it takes you to grab them he sets himself up for an unavoidable charge attack.

I am about to ragequit this ghirahim motherfucker

Shield bash the charge attack. Spin attack misses too much. Shield bash (or use a correct direction swing) to deflect his projectiles. When he teleports be ready to turn around and swing in the same direction he's holding his sword.

Keep in mind, the only purpose of the Ghirahim fight is to beat the crap out of you if you play and waggle like in TP.

Reknoc

Finished the 4th dungeon, I'm pretty much loving this game. Doing a sidequest now on Skyloft but not entirely sure what to do:
It's the toilet paper one, does anything change depending on if I give it to the ghost or the girl?

Okay,

Roll to the right you can get around.

Top Bottom