• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Kifimbo

3rd pre-dungeon location is so fucking good. I mean, what the fuck. I'm even scared to think what is the dungeon like.

I have a question for those who had already completed the game:

By accident I have seen the walkthrough list on ign.com. Now, I am at Lanayru Desert which is the 12th entry on the list which consists of 18 entries. So, after 13 hours I've already passed more than a half of new Zelda? Please say, that it is not true ;(.

Don't worry.

Been playing for 4 hours and just entered the 1st dungeon. Love it
grin.gif

Downhome

I went to my local K-Mart and I only saw an empty slot on the shelf for the game an was about to give up when I noticed the box on the counter that they hadn't put out yet! My store only got two of the bundles. I bought both - I two $20 gaming coupons and I'll open one to play and keep the other sealed in my collection. I can't wait to get home and play it!!!

Am I the only one who thought the pre-4th dungeon segment was a pile of utter fucking wank?

Go fetch some water in the first dungeon? Fuck right off. How pointless...

The game was brilliant with the 3rd dungeon. There are some serious ups and downs with this.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, I totally forgot this comes out today. Skyrim and school work have consumed my entire life. :-O

Xane

3rd pre-dungeon location is so fucking good. I mean, what the fuck. I'm even scared to think what is the dungeon like.

I have a question for those who had already completed the game:

By accident I have seen the walkthrough list on ign.com. Now, I am at Lanayru Desert which is the 12th entry on the list which consists of 18 entries. So, after 13 hours I've already passed more than a half of new Zelda? Please say, that it is not true ;(.
You still have way more ahead of you than you think.

Varna

how close do you sit to the TV?

Big factor with any current gen game. Even the best of the best on the HD consoles look like shit close up.

Is the IQ in this game on par with let's say... Mario Galaxy? That game looks so good on my TV.

guek

Banned
LCD. any preferred wii settings for a LCD? 42" LG

I have a 40" sony bravia that didn't look too great at first. What I did was lower the shrpness considerably. Having it so low usually makes most wii games fuzzy and blurry, but SS seemed to benefit from it. I also color balanced a bit, making sure the screen wasn't too bright because a lot of the colors really pop out and can make jaggies look worse. Just mess around with it a bit while looking at an area with a wide color palette.

IceCold

What was Nintendo's reasoning for not using the ir sensor for the pointer? I prefer to use than motion+ for pointing at stuff. I feel like when using motion+ I have to make bigger arm movements to reach the edges of the screen. It also moves pretty slowly.

By the way, can I change the HUD of the game? I've played for only a couple of minutes (ughh..school) and don't want to see the condom controller on the screen during the entire game.

Aeana

What was Nintendo's reasoning for not using the ir sensor for the pointer? I prefer to use than motion+ for pointing at stuff. I feel like when using motion+ I have to make bigger arm movements to reach the edges of the screen. It also moves pretty slowly.

By the way, can I change the HUD of the game? I've played for only a couple of minutes (ughh..school) and don't want to see the condom controller on the screen during the entire game.

After a little while, Fi will let you change the HUD. You have to get through the first little bit of the game, sadly.

Go to gear and the option should be at the bottom left hand corner.
Edit: as others have said after about an hour of play time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*Finally* got home from Scarborough! Jeeeeeeez. All that trouble just to get a damn coat!

Picked this up at 11 AM, though! :D Toon Link, Sonic and Yoshi approve!

7Xz5D.jpg

froliq

Really enjoyed the pre 3rd dungeon area and the dungeon itself. Boss wasn't that great.

If there's more like this or even better then I will be a very happy man.

Cosmozone

I have a 52'' LCD and it still looks good. The jaggies are actually very noticable if you look for them but I usually don't. How SD material looks also greatly depends on the quality of the TV's scaler.

BTW the characters are great. Even the henchmen of Link's rival are not just henchmen. Nice, nice.

MechaX

FUUUUUUUUU- Just when I actually found a pretty cheap motion plus online ($15 with shipping), I see that Walmart is having a discount on the Bundle on Black Friday. Just based on anecdotal evidence, how many of the Motion Plus Wiimote bundles have people seen when picking up the game? (I'm just trying to find any excuse to not go up to Wal-Mart on Black Friday and get mauled/excessively irritated in the process).

*Finally* got home from Scarborough! Jeeeeeeez. All that trouble just to get a damn coat!

7Xz5D.jpg

I need to get the hardcover guide soon.

Anyone know where I can get the hardcover guide for Phantom Hourglass at not ridiculous prices?

guek

Banned
FUUUUUUUUU- Just when I actually found a pretty cheap motion plus online ($15 with shipping), I see that Walmart is having a discount on the Bundle on Black Friday. Just based on anecdotal evidence, how many of the Motion Plus Wiimote bundles have people seen when picking up the game? (I'm just trying to find any excuse to not go up to Wal-Mart on Black Friday and get mauled/excessively irritated in the process).

I originally pre-orded the standard game off of amazon and then later changed my mind and wanted the bundle. Too bad it was sold out. This is, of course, anecdotal, but I live in Vegas and called just about every store I could think of that would do pre-orders, and they were all sold out of the bundle. All online retailers also seem to be out of stock. I'd check places like target, sears, or k-mart like...today.

KorrZ

Played about 2 hours of this now, really enjoying it so far. Controls feel great, graphics look great for an SD game on an HDTV (Twilight Princess looked like a blurry mess). I also really like the little relationship they've created between Link and Zelda. It feels believable and already has made Zelda a much stronger character than she's been in other games in the series. That little scene in the intro...
the kiss tease scene at the goddess statue, wow!

My only complaint so far is they take the tutorializing in the intro a little bit too far. You can barely take two steps in any direction before someone is hitting you with a block of text telling you to do this or that. They just throw way too much text in your face for basic controls like running and jumping even, and there's no way to really skip through it except maybe a few seconds faster with A&B.

McNum

And that concludes the second dungeon. Not bad, I was stumped a few times, but I found my way through. The final trap before the boss was great, though.
Seeing the curved path, thinking "This looks like something from Indiana Jones..." Cue the boulder. Perfect.
The boss was a little disappointing, although it was a fun fight nonetheless. Next up: Getting a new wooden shield, because the fortune teller told me I'd want one for the next area.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I need to get the hardcover guide soon.
The cloth map feels soooo nice, and it's also nice to look at. I wish I had the PH guide. :/

Did the game really just thank me for buying it? That's... cute.

Edit: Wow, I didn't see the opening cinematic before (
the legend of the goddess
). The music for it is outstanding. Blew me away. And the new Fairy Fountain theme/File Select theme has such a pretty arrangement. :D

MechaX

I originally pre-orded the standard game off of amazon and then later changed my mind and wanted the bundle. Too bad it was sold out. This is, of course, anecdotal, but I live in Vegas and called just about every store I could think of that would do pre-orders, and they were all sold out of the bundle. All online retailers also seem to be out of stock. I'd check places like target, sears, or k-mart like...today.

Yikes, that bad, eh? I'll call around to get a gauge on what the stocks are around my area. Getting the bundle isn't a super huge priority for me, since I really don't need a third Wiimote (no matter how shiny gold it is), but the Black Friday reduction is a pretty good deal even if I don't need it. I'll see what they have this Thursday night when the sale starts; if it's there, I'll pick it up and give the extra Motion Plus I ordered from Amazon to something or keep it (since at the end of the day, I would have paid the same price for the Bundle on Black Friday + The motion plus I ordered as if I bought the bundle alone anywhere else). If they don't have it, I'll just get the normal SS when I get the Motion Plus.

Wurst

Pausing for today! The game has huge issues but is lots of fun.

Could anyone tell me how much I have left?
Just entered the Vulcano. Is it just 7 dungeons? It's kind of sad to see all the Item slots full :D Don't want it to end!

Dartastic

Late game stuff -
Water dragon fetch quest wasn't so bad... granted, it was a bit irritating but it didn't take too long. Not too big a deal.

Pausing for today! The game has huge issues but is lots of fun.

Could anyone tell me how much I have left?
Just entered the Vulcano. Is it just 7 dungeons? It's kind of sad to see all the Item slots full :D Don't want it to end!
There are only 6 dungeons. Forest, Volcano, Desert, Forest, Desert, Volcano. Don't worry though, you still have plenty of stuff to do after you're done in there. :p

oatmeal

Banned
Finished the second Silent Realm...they're pretty easy, which is a good thing because if they were hard it would suck ass.

I'm at the
Sand Sea

Done for now...24 hours in.

Wurst

There are only 6 dungeons. Forest, Volcano, Desert, Forest, Desert, Volcano. Don't worry though, you still have plenty of stuff to do after you're done in there. :p

Endgame spoilers i suppose
:O What? I like this game albeit it's flaws but I can't help but think wtf they developed for 6 years! Enemy/Boss recycling, hardly any Minibosses, the Sky is empty as fuck. Haven't done sidequests yet, but damn. It somehow feels like I'm playing a Handheld Zelda and not a proper 3D one. I think the Minish Cap director was not a wise choice. Although I love MC too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like how when I throw pots at or around people they actually animate and get scared.

Also, I made Link sit on the toilet and left him idling there. He was busy animating (ie: he brushed his legs a bit). He also fell asleep, and his body got all wobbly the point where he almost fell off.

I imagine it would be the same if I had him sit on any other chair.

I had Link use the shitter, hoping it would make the water unbearable for the person in the bathroom, letting Karane use the bath. No dice. DAMN YOU REAL WORLD LOGIC

Gregorn

Pre-5th dungeon was crazy, it's such a cool idea. The actual dungeon I didn't like too much, there was a lot of running back and forth that made it feel repetitive.

Cool boss though.

Cheska

Finally picked this up!! :happy dance:

The game looks no bueno on my HDTV tho :( I was going to buy component cables for Xenoblade anyways, but now I am definitely heading out to buy them. It really doesn't matter which brand right?

Duderz

Banned
HELP. I just picked the game up and it requires a software update. But I homebrewed my Wii to play Xenoblade. If I update the system, won't it brick my Wii? What do I do? :( :( :(

HELP. I just picked the game up and it requires a software update. But I homebrewed my Wii to play Xenoblade. If I update the system, won't it brick my Wii? What do I do? :( :( :(

You could just install the update, and then use Letterbomb to re-homebrew your Wii. There's some solution to your conundrum that doesn't involve erasing and reinstalling the homebrew stuff, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

Anth0ny

Edit: Wow, I didn't see the opening cinematic before (
the legend of the goddess
). The music for it is outstanding. Blew me away. And the new Fairy Fountain theme/File Select theme has such a pretty arrangement. :D

So good.

Unfortunately, nothing has topped it yet =(

Duderz

Banned
You could just install the update, and then use Letterbomb to re-homebrew your Wii. There's some solution to your conundrum that doesn't involve erasing and reinstalling the homebrew stuff, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

I'm at the latest software version, 4.3 though. Never used a Wii MotionPlus though. Should I go ahead and downloard the LetterBomb on my Wii?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

7Xz5D.jpg
Yoshi-approved indeed :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WHAT?! It looks unbelievably good on my 40" Sony Bravia with component cables hooked to the Wii.

edit: Ask Corky too! ♥

looks ok on my 40" Sony HDTV. Bit fuzzy around the edges and thats when viewing at a distance.

BTW, are the 'out of focus' areas supposed to look like a splodgy painting? Not sure if I like the effect or not.

jackdoe

Just started and I have to say that Motion plus is acting all kinds of funky. I do a horizontal slash and the game registers it as a diagonal slash 4 out of 10 times while I do an overhead vertical slash and it registers it as an underhand slash 7 out of 10 times. Is this due to software or due to the hardware?

Taking a break from the game for now, listening to the soundtrack CD. And dat first track! When the Dark Overworld theme from LTTP came on towards the end, gave me chills.

Top Bottom