• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

got it earlier today and did about an hour in so far

started off pretty boring as usual and i thought it dragged on a lot

but then,
when you pull out the sword yourself...HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS COOL AND EPIC!
FUCKING CHILLS ALL OVER MAN.

cant wait to play more of this

I've already died once...not had that happen to me for years in a Zelda game. There was a reason you start with 6 hearts...yeah I really suck at combat
(though some of it is things like "I need to do side swipe *link does diagonal*"). Also enemies doing more than 1/4 heart damage helps. Well at least rupees are plentiful so bottle refill is easy to afford.

Not liking the shield gauge. Hopefully upgrades will sort that problem out.

The Bamboo cutting minigame was fun (even if it was a wagglefest)...except that part where I did consecutively worse each time I played. Like first time 25, then 18 and then 15 (in hindsight I wonder if the waggling threw the calibration off)...guess like the guy says
I'll do better with a longer sword

shahkur

Just started the 2nd dungeon, and gotta say I'm really digging the game. Hope the rest of the dungeons live up to Twilight Princess'.

Anyone know where I can get a bottle from?

Also, does anyone else here think Zelda looks a bit like Cate Blanchett?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow... this part I just passed... my mind is blown by the awesome.
Just started the 2nd dungeon, and gotta say I'm really digging the game. Hope the rest of the dungeons live up to Twilight Princess'.
lol TP dungeons = joke compared to SS later dungeons.
Anyone know where I can get a bottle from?
Talk to the lady
that sells potions in the bazaar :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the third dungeon. Amazing stuff. The game's getting better with each dungeon it seems.

About the visuals : game looks really jaggy on my panny st30 plasma, 46". Right now I'm coping, but I may consider hooking my Wii up to my old 26" lcd again, since I didn't think Wii games'd look that bad on it

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I *FINALLY* got my hands on a copy. I wanted it last night, and nobody had it at midnight. Gamestop didn't get my pre-order... ARG! What's the deal with that, are these already hard to find or something, or does my location just suck?

Luckily I had a backup pre-order at Best Buy. Went there, got my $10 GC, and used a half-off coupon I got in the mail on the guide. Gonna rip the game for use on Dolphin; but probably won't be able to play until Wed as I'm busy the next couple days. :(

Some pics if anyone is interested:

6372854385_1f206e860b_z.jpg

6372859745_906359ce8b_z.jpg

6372864893_19185951ae_z.jpg

6372870783_67e856ee1d_z.jpg

And an image of the cloth world map included in the guide... not REALLY a spoiler; but I know some people are really strict :)

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6095/6372876363_840d643938_z.jpg

Sinthetic

I watched the review for TP yesterday as I'd forgotten most of the game and I've got to say, SS really seems like it's going to be rated higher in my books.

So get ready gold remote, it's on tomorrow! TV better watch out.

@Skel1ingt0n

Very nice haul! I think I am going to get the CE Strategy Guide just to look at when I finish the game, it looks like it has some really nice art and it looks lovely.

How is the content?

shahkur

lol TP dungeons = joke compared to SS later dungeons.

Talk to the lady
that sells potions in the bazaar :)

Wow and I thought TP had the best dungeons in the series, how far in are you?

Because of this I've put Dark Souls on halt. And because of DS, the sword combat system in this feels weak in comparison, even with MP+.

Kevtones

Surprisingly fantastic.

Thought the beginning was mostly well-done. Felt like I needed a little info on Link considering his new agility.

Music has been great.

yanhero

Does anyone have any tips for controlling the bird in skyloft? How do you gain height? I find that once I go down, I can't get back up. It's very frustrating.

Yanksfan

Wow and I thought TP had the best dungeons in the series, how far in are you?

Because of this I've put Dark Souls on halt. And because of DS, the sword combat system in this feels weak in comparison, even with MP+.

In comparison, yes, I imagine it would. Stop comparing. :p

There is no way it will have the level of depth in combat that DS has.

pringles

How does the DOF filter look on a regular TV?? I've seen pictures on the Dolphin thread and it looks hideous, a blurred mess.
I absolutely LOVE it on my 40'' Samsung LCD. So pretty.

Love the graphics in this game. I switch between playing Skyrim and playing Zelda and my jaw drops as much for both games.

butter_stick said:
Thanks again, Nintendo.
Agreed, love the bird controls. Very simple and intuitive. I was afraid it'd be like the bird in Super Mario Galaxy but it's so much better. You don't need to flap like an idiot, just a small motion ever now and then when you get too low. Going up, then diving and gaining speed and soaring up again is a lot of fun. I only wish the sky was as pretty as the sea in Wind Waker.

stupid tadpoles or tadtones or whatever the hell they're called.

lots of collecting going on right now... not sure if I approve.

I was so glad that was a one-off. Such a shitty idea.

The tune doesn't even turn out to be anything great. I was hoping it was going to be a Zelda classic or something I'd recognise to justify the effort...

Spinning under water seemed to help me with collecting them, and it helps with the latter ones when you can dowse to get an idea of where they are.

Yeah, it boggles the mind why you cant simply point up instead of gaining altitude. Insanely annoying motion, and inconsistent to how you control other flying objects. Not to mention it fucks up your direction somewhat.

It's just odd. When they gave me instructions it said (IIRC) to move the Wiimote down them up. So I thought it would work like Mario World or Mario 64 or something. So during your first mission on the bird I was all the way below everyone for about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to gain altitude.

Sanic

I figure this has been asked earlier in the thread but apparently there is an update included with the game, what effect (if any) does it have on homebrew?

Flap the Wii remote up and down and the bird will start gaining altitude.

Just so other people are clear - you don't have to 'flap', one smooth upward motion translates to one large flap of the bird's wings, it gains a lot of altitude with one flap. Not the big deal that some are making of it...

the instructions on it during the tutorial were crap though, I'll give you that. It should have just said - if your bird begins to lose speed and altitude, make an upward motion to make your bird head skyward. They added the "and down" bit in there, because pointing down is what sends the bird into a fast dive -- but its not part of the same movement to gain altitude, so I can see why that instruction confused people.

Just finished the first dungeon.

And I'm dying. Like, a lot. I'm dying a lot.

I've never had this much difficulty early on in a 3D Zelda. Not even Majora's Mask.

But it's not because the controls are bad or anything. These enemies - even basic ones - have been surprisingly tough.

So far, I love it. It's gorgeous, and the controls are great (once I got over the urge to constantly re-calibrate.

God, I love Zelda games. They always make me smile.

Zee-Row

Banned
I fucking had this game preordered months ago on amazon and now that I go to check to see if my game was shipped it never even got processed because my preorder suddenly vanished.

Xane

One of my least favorite ways they implemented the motion controls. Wait until later, the part I'm on is frustrating as fuck, and it has to do with swimming.

Hm, I had no problems with that part. I didn't even last 10 Minutes, and you get to
dowse for the remaining ones
later on.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dungeon 6 complete.

Ghirahim v2 was a very fun fight. Fire temple was pretty enjoyable as well. Took me a while to figure out you could stab the water pods. Imprisoned v2 fight was a pain in the ass. Mostly because a few times I would down him and there was no way to get around to hit the head. Realized something about the old lady at the sacred grounds, and feel like an idiot for not picking up on it sooner. Now wondering how long till the game itself reveals it.

Anth0ny

I was so glad that was a one-off. Such a shitty idea.

The tune doesn't even turn out to be anything great. I was hoping it was going to be a Zelda classic or something I'd recognise to justify the effort...

Spinning under water seemed to help me with collecting them, and it helps with the latter ones when you can dowse to get an idea of where they are.

"Song of the Hero". I was expecting the Song of Time, which would explain why playing the Song of Time gets rid of the Stones of Time in OOT. I was so wrong =/

and I was spinning under water to collect them, but spinning eats your stamina like crazy. AND spinning while trying to control Link with the Wii Remote isn't easy.

Whatever. It's done, and thank god it's a one-off

Dungeon 6 complete.

Ghirahim v2 was a very fun fight. Fire temple was pretty enjoyable as well. Took me a while to figure out you could stab the water pods. Imprisoned v2 fight was a pain in the ass. Mostly because a few times I would down him and there was no way to get around to hit the head. Realized something about the old lady at the sacred grounds, and feel like an idiot for not picking up on it sooner. Now wondering how long till the game itself reveals it.

The old woman doesn't really get addressed until right at the end of the game. I love how Groose loves her.

When you do the boss rush you'll get the hang of Imprisoned 2, the easiest way to beat him is down him yourself for the first hit, then for the remaining hits use the gusts to propel yourself to one level above him, get Groose to fire off a bomb and stun him, and then jump down on top of his head. Your next encounter with the Imprisoned is... well... hard, lets put it that way. You'll cut it close or take a few attempts for sure, I know I did!

Top Bottom