• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, yeah, absolutely no problem calling that the best first boss fight of any Zelda game, and easily one of the best in the entire series.

The problem with
when he teleports behind you is that I often found the camera wasn't positioned correctly for me to be sure how he was holding the sword, so it became "swing and hope I'm positioned correctly

Caelus

It's the toilet paper one, does anything change depending on if I give it to the ghost or the girl?

You must give it to the ghost in order to gain gratitude crystals. Giving it to Karane does nothing.

That was an awesome sidequest.

Let me in

Good lord, I've died twice now. I can get through the first half.
I can see the opening for the attack when he appears behind you, but I swing and always seem to come in at the wrong direction and then I get bitchslapped
. Yeah, I think I've been waggling too much, frantically throwing around the remote. I've been trained well for the past 6 years :/

Another thing I appreciate: The spin attack is no longer an insta-win move.

Whenever I get surrounded by bokoblins, I instinctively do a spin attack to clear them out.

It doesn't work at all.

Good lord, I've died twice now. I can get through the first half.
I can see the opening for the attack when he appears behind you, but I swing and always seem to come in at the wrong direction and then I get bitchslapped
. Yeah, I think I've been waggling too much, frantically throwing around the remote. I've been trained well for the past 6 years :/

It's possible to hit him as soon as he appears but if you can't get turned about quick enough, I'd just start running as soon as he disappears, get a good distance and turn around. He'll either fire crystals at you or charge you, which are both definitely defensible and allow you an opportunity to attack. Later on in the game you can come back to this battle, and you'll find it a piece of cake. I think I can beat him in under 1m30s now.

Zomba13

I did, there's nothing to gain but dialogue. Rather funny dialogue, though.

If you do it right you hook Pip and Karane up and they are thankful for what you've done but the short kid is distraught and sobs every night in Groose's bed.

McNum

Okay,
the hearts on the side of the Girahim fight are literally useless since in the time it takes you to grab them he sets himself up for an unavoidable charge attack.
Watch him. If he charges at your shield side, do a Shield Bash to open him up. If he charges sword side, well, that was stupid of him, wasn't it? Strike first! Also, the diamonds he summons can be defected back at him, but getting all five is difficult, and you'll take damage if you don't. If he teleports behind you, spin to win. Or just run away from him.

It's a tough fight, especially for the first boss. Did you ask Fi for advice, by the way? She'll give you a few hints for each boss, and some generally useless advice, too. When the boss changes phase, her advice is updated, too.

My battle against Ghirahim was made more difficult because
my shield broke during the Stalfos battle and I was too lazy to go up to Skyloft to get a new one.

Caelus

If you do it right you hook Pip and Karane up and they are thankful for what you've done but the short kid is distraught and sobs every night in Groose's bed.

Are the amount of gratitude crystals the same as when you give the ghost the paper or are there are more? Anyway, I did it just to piss off Cawlin. He loses either way.

Zomba13

Are the amount of gratitude crystals the same as when you give the ghost the paper or are there are more? Anyway, I did it just to piss off Cawlin. He loses either way.

Probably. Seems like 5 is the default amount for completing a side-quest.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The boss fight where I almost lose:

First Ghirahim fight;
the ball of fire second boss; the first Imprisoned fight, and the giant one-eyeball thing you fought at the end of the pirate ship arc
(awesome set-piece!)

I had to repeat the
second Imprisoned fight
three times before I managed to defeat it.

Reknoc

Hm, well if I get crystals either way I might give it to the girl because that sounds a bit better!

RedSwirl

Okay, yeah, absolutely no problem calling that the best first boss fight of any Zelda game, and easily one of the best in the entire series.

The problem with
when he teleports behind you is that I often found the camera wasn't positioned correctly for me to be sure how he was holding the sword, so it became "swing and hope I'm positioned correctly

I imagine that's the "learn to play" moment of this game. My problem was that I couldn't tell what direction he was guarding in at the first stage of the fight.

18 hours in. 3 dungeons down, just got
Farore's Courage
. At this point, now the 10/10s make perfect sense. Fucking loved seeing what happens immediately after the third dungeon. Interesting that they (character spoiler)
brought back Impa, that's a character who's been gone far too long, considering she was in the first one... sorta

Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Phenomic

You know I'm playing through the game and I'm after the 3rd dungeon and I guess I have a question regarding a previous dungeon.

Basically walked back into the Forest Temple or Skyview whatever... Anyway, one of those digging wolf creatures kept popping up and talking to me. They even went as far as to make me find another key for one of the doors that one of the minions had relocked. So I got to the very end and the digging dog thing essentially said there wasn't anything there but "water" which was marked in Red. They even went further after that to put 3 Skeleton Knights in the bosses room. (Fun fight) but there's nothing else here! I was hoping for a real true reason to actually revisit this temple and they almost did it.

So the whole point of that rant. Did I actually miss something is there a reason all that happens? Is there something fresh there?

Aso Zelda is adorable as fucking hell in this game. My heart can't take that.

I'm totally a sucker for this and I think it's why I love the game so much. Girl next door version of Zelda. I'm such a sucker for a corny love story =D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I relegate a second file specifically so that I can play/see the beginning parts of the game when Zelda is still around over... and over.... and over.... again.

You know how that first Goomba in world 1-1 taught us everything we needed to know about Mario, the importance of jumping, and enemies?

The first Skulltula you meet in Skyview Temple is basically the 1-1 Goomba of this game - so many people I know have died/almost died at that exact spot. It's exciting to think that we're relearning how to play Zelda

Jeels

Oh god, easily the best gaming purchase I've made all year, perhaps in the past few years.

Side comic: http://i.imgur.com/M1unQ.jpg

Reknoc

You know I'm playing through the game and I'm after the 3rd dungeon and I guess I have a question regarding a previous dungeon.

Basically walked back into the Forest Temple or Skyview whatever... Anyway, one of those digging wolf creatures kept popping up and talking to me. They even went as far as to make me find another key for one of the doors that one of the minions had relocked. So I got to the very end and the digging dog thing essentially said there wasn't anything there but "water" which was marked in Red. They even went further after that to put 3 Skeleton Knights in the bosses room. (Fun fight) but there's nothing else here! I was hoping for a real true reason to actually revisit this temple and they almost did it.

So the whole point of that rant. Did I actually miss something is there a reason all that happens? Is there something fresh there?

That's going to be important very soon

GWX

What an amazing game; just entered Eldin Volcano. Great visuals on my 21" CRT too, even if it's letterboxed. Loving everything about it (well, except for Fi's obnoxious handholding, but it's only a small complaint in the grand scheme of things). The controls are pretty much flawless, and recalibrating (if needed) is easy and is already becoming a second nature. I don't understand why there are people that have trouble with the controls... They aren't doing it right/taking the time to learn then: it's the only explanation.

Dartastic

those water pods, I was walking around for like 4 minutes in the room full of them and in my flailing frustration ended up stabbing one leading to my first true "AHA!" moment of the game. Ghirahim v2 was indeed fun, took me a while to figure out that the two varieties of spin attack were needed to defend against the encircling projectile attacks. Imprisoned part 2 genuinely enraged me, one of my bombs was denied due to a cut scene (that included my bomb hitting it as it scaled the wall, but it's a cut scene so no dice) allowing the beast to take one hell of a short cut and I don't think anyone's quite prepared for the unfortunate situation of exposing the weak point only to have the path blocked and the nearest air vent on the lower route inevitably gets blocked as well.

Hahaha, I did the same thing in the same room. IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIGURE IT OUT. Then I remembered what I did with Pumpkins. :p

ASIS

Can't believe some of you guys are blasting through this. Do yourselves a favor and just stop. Take your time, this isn't a race you know.

Again, reading all the impressions I still think this game can be the next Majora. People will have varying opinions but it will be remembered very fondly in the long run.

40 hours in, still didn't beat the game, and i'm loving every second so far.

Top Bottom