• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Lyonaz

Man I love all the little touches to Links animation, his sitting idle animation is great.
And also <3 Zelda, I totally went 'Awww' after the 2nd dungeon. Skyward Sword Zelda is best Zelda, no wonder Link chases after her, it's True Love man!

You know how that first Goomba in world 1-1 taught us everything we needed to know about Mario, the importance of jumping, and enemies?

The first Skulltula you meet in Skyview Temple is basically the 1-1 Goomba of this game - so many people I know have died/almost died at that exact spot. It's exciting to think that we're relearning how to play Zelda

:: raises hand ::

I went in on complete media blackout on this game. It's been super rewarding!

I am 5 hours in, and just getting to the Second world. Seeing how I see only 3 worlds (one for each goddess) underneath the sky. But, there has gotta be a lot more dungeons... so I am looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.

Also, the first boss was a total surprise. A pleasant one.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can't believe some of you guys are blasting through this. Do yourselves a favor and just stop. Take your time, this isn't a race you know.

Again, reading all the impressions I still think this game can be the next Majora. People will have varying opinions but it will be remembered very fondly in the long run.

40 hours in, still didn't beat the game, and i'm loving every second so far.

It's not blasting... it's just we... well, I, just can't stop. Hell if I don't have to go to work now I am very sure I will still playing it.

...Hey, speaking of blasting through, you are 5 hours above my play time!

Can't believe some of you guys are blasting through this. Do yourselves a favor and just stop. Take your time, this isn't a race you know.

Again, reading all the impressions I still think this game can be the next Majora. People will have varying opinions but it will be remembered very fondly in the long run.

40 hours in, still didn't beat the game, and i'm loving every second so far.

I just pretty much played for 9 hours straight, but I've messed around in Skyloft, have been trying for various treasures along the way, exploring some.

Great game so far! It feels very new to me, very refreshing!

Man I love all the little touches to Links animation, his sitting idle animation is great.
And also <3 Zelda, I totally went 'Awww' after the 2nd dungeon. Skyward Sword Zelda is best Zelda, no wonder Link chases after her, it's True Love man!

That scene after the second dungeon is a total bummer. You just feel like shit. "Bubububu there was this key, and bombs, and oh fuck you :("

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got about 4 hours clocked in, just got a little into the woods area so I'm probably moving pretty slowly, haha.

I really like it so far, I actually love the feel of the sprinting with the way link runs up things, making it quick to get around. I wasn't sure what to think of the stamina as a whole but I atleast really dig it so far.

I have some weird thing with the visuals, like vertical lines I see all around, usually in darker areas. Is that actually normal?

ASIS

To every single person who says the music isn't great in this game, click this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIq6pgdBAk&feature=BFa&list=SPDB478A9265E1DE7F&lf=list_related

I dare you to type a single negative comment about the music while the link is playing, I dare you
It's not blasting... it's just we... well, I, just can't stop. Hell if I don't have to go to work now I am very sure I will still playing it.

...Hey, speaking of blasting through, you are 5 hours above my play time!

I've had the game since the 12th.

ASIS

The graphics of this game are so...

They're so...

I can't find a single word synonymous with what I'm thinking about.

It's not the graphics as much as the overall feel (graphics, the sky,the music, the areas, the sky again).

.... so beautiful.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game looks damn fantastic. I'm almost finished the second dungeon (edit: haha, okay, apparently I have quite a bit more to go, but I think I'm going to end here tonight and finish it off tomorrow @_@) and I'm pretty satisfied with it (going on a media blackout for this game was probably the best thing to do). The "Aha!" moment during the first boss battle made me feel happy inside. And I am loving the animations in this game. I knew I would. Link's facial expressions aren't as hilarious as they were in Twilight Princess, so I am quite happy about that as well.

Perhaps it's good that I lowered my previous lofty expectations for the game.

For any lefties in the room: I've been playing lefty like I do for every Wii game that requires the Wiimote, and I haven't had any problems with the controls at all. I'm overlooking the disconnect between swinging with my left hand and Link swinging with his right. Also, I think the controls overall are fine. *shrug* I think it's finally a good implementation of the motion controls. And the tutorial section was, like, an hour if you did everything (which you didn't have to).

Also, I never thought I'd be worrying about drops and drop rate (is there even one?) in a Zelda game, lol. There is also a reason why you start with six hearts.

And regarding the sword...
I was kinda blown away that I had to pull it out myself, lol.

mjc

I just got through the whole intro section which wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, though it was a bit wordy. It was all good though since I'm still in awe of the animations each character has. So awesome. And my jaw dropped when I was moving my arm with the sword. Such a cool moment to experience for the first time.

gdt

This game is so alive. The animations are insane, they have me smiling and giggling over and over. This game is gorgeous, too bad the jaggies are cutting me a bit. Played for 3 hours straight, just got to the Deep Forest. Taking a break to eat.

Took me a bit to get a hang of the controls, but I'm really digging them now. Seeing Link to 1:1 (or as near as I can tell) movements with me is incredible.

The music in the first dungeon is definitely pretty poor...very repetitive. Everything else is absolutely amazing so far!

Also, one thing that I noticed that while the game punishes waggling, it highly rewards you when play precisely. For example, for the bobokins (or whatever they are), I thought you had to hit -> wait -> hit -> wait to kill them. As it turns out, if you can quickly follow up your attack you can chain everything together while they're staggering. As such, I've developed this very natural feeling swing -> back swing -> stab motion that just tear through them

amazing game

I just got through the whole intro section which wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, though it was a bit wordy. It was all good though since I'm still in awe of the animations each character has. So awesome. And my jaw dropped when I was moving my arm with the sword. Such a cool moment to experience for the first time.

It's a bizarrely understated moment too. You get the sword out the chest, but you aren't forced into a tutorial for it unless I'm mistaken. They just have the logs for you to practice on as you make you way out. Considering the swordplay is the defining feature of the game, you'd think they'd have played up the moment when you first get your sword more, but nope.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, this is easily my favorite Zelda so far. I didn't think the opening was that bad at all; a little long but the entire thing felt engaging.

cajunator

Banned
Also , how cool is it that you have to
do the motions to pull the skyward sword from the rock and holds it straight up to charge it?
Makes me want to get the sword attachment gimmick add-on.
Thus far it looks like I really didnt have much of this game spoiled at all. It masks discovering everything that much more fun.

Magnus

It's a bizarrely understated moment too. You get the sword out the chest, but you aren't forced into a tutorial for it unless I'm mistaken. They just have the logs for you to practice on as you make you way out. Considering the swordplay is the defining feature of the game, you'd think they'd have played up the moment when you first get your sword more, but nope.

I kind of think the moment where you get THE sword at the start is kind of....played up to high heaven and is perfection.

ASIS

Yep. It's going to be hard to choose between this and Rayman for best graphics

Damn I forgot that game even existed! LOL.

I'm going to pick xenoblade and rayman after this. But my god I don't think i'll be putting SS down anytime soon.

Ranger X

What happened in this thread?

There's an abnormal number of people liking the game. Will this be the game that will top Ocarina of Time for more Zeldaers? wow...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, the game goes back and forth on being over-explanatory and just letting you figure things out. The way people were talking I was expecting Fi to walk me through the entire first dungeon.

I kind of think the moment where you get THE sword at the start is kind of....played up to high heaven and is perfection.

Oh yeah, I suppose it is. That's more 'cos it's an important story beat. But I didn't care about that moment nearly as much as I did when I got the shitty sword you get from the sparring hall- that first minute or so with the sword is the most I've smiled at a game in a long time (cutscenes and such in other games excluded).

Me: Hey Fi whats my playtime?
Fi: 8:14 Total
8:14 this session.
Me: HOLY SHIT!!!

Seriously after 8 continuous hours I needed a break. Got the game at 11 at GS and been playing nonstop. Just beat the 2nd dungeon. My neck is killing me (I have neck problems) and I need to rest...for 30 minutes then keep playing till around 3AM then goto sleep and play again tomorrow.

The entire above post is 100% true acording to my aculations. There is a picture of my playtime but on iPad and really dont have a working(well, good working)pc so dont wanna go through the trouble of uploading it.

Best game ever. After playing TP for over 177 hours acording to the wiis nintendo channel I can easily see this being beyond that in 5 years time.

So tired. I need to hurry up and rest so I can play again.

Also: Yay postings back for the secondapps neogaf!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, the game goes back and forth on being over-explanatory and just letting you figure things out. The way people were talking I was expecting Fi to walk me through the entire first dungeon.

Only thing about Fi that annoys me is she points out the boss door in every dungeon, and when you find the key, explain show it's "very likely" the key to the boss door in the dungeon. It's just like "well, duh".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Damn I forgot that game even existed! LOL.

I'm going to pick xenoblade and rayman after this. But my god I don't think i'll be putting SS down anytime soon.

Not picking up Xenoblade unless it comes out over here. Not paying NoE for NoA's incompetence, but that's for another time.

Goody

I picked up my Limited Edition today and am absolutely loving it. I played for about two hours straight and am pretty sure I got all the way through the "training" part of the game.
I'm just now getting to the Sealed Temple
. I absolutely adore this game.

I am completely overwhelmed in a way I don't ever remember being in any other Zelda game. Skyloft seems like such a bustling place. I just don't think I've gotten the hang of the game yet.

The controls are great. The sword swinging is great. The flying took a little getting used to and the aiming can be a bit of a pain because I'm expecting it to work exactly like the IR-aiming from Twilight Princess, but I'll get over it.

Anth0ny

Only thing about Fi that annoys me is she points out the boss door in every dungeon, and when you find the key, explain show it's "very likely" the key to the boss door in the dungeon. It's just like "well, duh".

In the fourth dungeon
she even says "Master, there's an 80% chance there is a boss key in that treasure chest right in front of you." Like, no fucking shit. Boss keys have their own unique chests.

Fi calms down after... 6 dungeons. Kinda. She's tolerable right now.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
And regarding the sword...
I was kinda blown away that I had to pull it out myself, lol.
Yeah, I was grinning like mad at that. :D That's why I love Zelda games so much... they're just full of these details and moments.

I grabbed my limited edition from BB right before lunch and now I'm about 5 and a half hours in. Just opened the
2nd
dungeon and have done a couple of side quests - in particular, I loved
knocking down that chandelier and Kina's greeting to you after you've done it.

Even though I've played the demo to death in Dolphin at 1080p, a few hours in I stopped caring about the jaggies/low resolution and am completely engrossed by the game. Of course, I'm still looking forward to playing it emulated on my second playthrough once I get access to my desktop again... but playing on the Wii on a projector screen suits me just fine for this first run through. :p

Zomba13

The thing with Fi is she just seems to explain/out right tell you the most obvious of information. Oh, my hearts are low? Really? I didn't notice that annoying beeping. What's that? I should collect more hearts so I don't die? Wow, I never would have worked that out. Wait. What's that? You are going to tell me this every play session?

Oh, this weird thing I picked up is probably the boss room key? Helpful the first time but you don't have to tell me every single time. What is this now? You are repeating what this NPC just said to me but adding in a random percentage and trying to sound smart so I listen to you?

What is annoying is that when you are stuck in a dungeon room and actually want some form of advice, a 'hint' maybe, she doesn't tell you anything useful. Wish you could turn her off and only have her speak when you want to talk to her and that the stuff she said was helpful.

Caelus

I think Fi's speech is meant as sick humor by Nintendo to make fun of past sidekicks. Her robotic speech with the percentages and stuff makes this more so.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think Fi's speech is meant as sick humor by Nintendo to make fun of past sidekicks. Her robotic speech with the percentages and stuff makes this more so.

I'm fine with her speech and that type of character, but she's pretty typically redundant as all hell about it which slows everything down. If it didn't force you into talking with her it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the HELL were they smoking when they designed all the characters in this game? I busted out laughing more than once. Zelda always has weird NPCs, but SS seems even nuttier in that regard.

::shamefully raises hand as well::
Glad I'm not the only one, ha ha.

The Skulltulas are definitely a tricky bunch. The ones on the ground aren't hard, but the hanging ones are a pain in the ass. Their weak point is so small that it's easy to miss, and you often end up knocking them backward and then getting smacked in the face.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
We need Midna back next game. I don't care that she turned into a person, make her a imp again.

azG3A.gif

gaming_noob

Quick question that I need the answer to. Does this game have a haunted house theme similar to Majora's Mask (one where you had to search through an abandoned house for skulltulas)?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So when I thought SS couldn't get any better, I get to fight dungeon 7 (?)
Ghiramin for the second time.
It's now officially my game of the year and much, much more than that.

Magnus

Sounds like the GPU is overheating and going out. I had to send my first console to Nintendo to fix that problem.

I just hooked it all up to my parents' Wii. Looks exactly the same and theirs is practically out of the box new. It's either my component cables...or the game actually looks like this and no one is noticing? I find that hard to believe though.

Will snap photos shortly.

Top Bottom