• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anyone else annoyed that the "special moves" (learned from that skeleton guy) in TP are completely absent in Skyward Sword? Seems like they could have deepened and expanded the combat and enemies a lot more with that kind of stuff. Improved exploration by seeking them out too...

Also, the enemy variety isn't as diverse as it should be imo.

Thoraxes

I don't get why people have problems with the gyro.
Seriously, not having to aim at my TV whenever I need to do shit is relaxing and the Motion+ is super responsive to just the slightest gestures of my hands with alarming accuracy. I did have trouble bowling bombs, but once I realized that I actually have to you know, bowl them with my hand, it worked perfectly.my right arm never crosses past the left side of my chest, and I find that that is all the room I need for all the precision in here.

I sometimes wonder if maybe I just have more finesse with a Motion+ or people have totally different games sometimes because of the varying opinions. It's so weird to me that people are having trouble, but only because i'm not. I kinda wish some of you guys would make videos so I could see it for myself what you're doing with your hands and what's happening on-sceen.

The TV stuff I know varies set by set though, and mine just looks wonderful.

fernoca

picked this up today, wont be playing until probably after xmas. Controller is kinda meh but needed a motion plus so it made sense to pick up the bundle

Nothing "meh" at all.. :p

pF5Si.jpg

..look so nice together. XD

hyduK

Banned
Alright...just got to the first temple...I have a few issues with the game so far:

- Stamina is just bad. Does nothing to enhance the game, and just makes everything slower.
- Game looks....decent. I like the art style, but the Wii is really showing its age. Maybe it looks better on an SDTV, but I don't have one unfortunately.
- Fi is annoying...too many forced conversations. I don't need you to tell me to go get potions every 5 minutes.
- Dousing is...ugh, I don't wanna talk about it
- Control wise...it's a mixed bag. The sword controls aren't horribly unresponsive, but aside from a few enemies that whole 'this is gonna add a new element of strategy'...yeah, bullshit. The strategy is get the first hit to stun them, then waggle so you can actually kill them in a decent amount of time as opposed to play simon says.
- Aside from the sword controls, it's just so over the top with motion. Everywhere I go I'm using motion for something. The tilting doesn't feel good, not accurate at all. The numerous shake both controllers moments are annoying.
- The intro isn't very good, it's gonna be another case of TP where despite how good the game may get, I'll never want to replay through it.
- The first new race you encounter is boring, just doesn't have the charm of a goron or a zora. Reminds me of the guys from the second temple of WW.

With all that being said, I'm still enjoying the game, but there's some glaring issues.

For those of you who are deep into the game, is the story living up to expectations?

I have not played it, but I have watched a friend play the last 2-3 hours. My answer is yes and no.

Yes because (end game story spoilers, highlight at own risk)
Fi, Impa and Groose have nice arcs and some touching moments. The final battle against Demise is intense. There is a scene at the end of the credits too and that was such a lovely touch and sets up the very beginnings of what will become Hyrule.

No because (end game story spoilers, highlight at own risk)
I may have missed some middle parts of the story, but the ending feels more understated and bitter-sweet than I thought it would and I think it may be below some peoples' expectations.

Jzero

Played it for 11 hours so far and it is an awesome game. Like always my only complaint is that it gets un-sync fairly easily

Stuck in the first temple, need some help please.
Got to the tablet where you fight your first skultula and it says there are doors leading left and right blah blah blah. I found the tunnel to the gem that raises the water level and did that. Now what? Have no idea where to go or what to do. I see the skultula on the other side and a treasure chest, but I cant find any other gems to hit.

Giraihim was not so hard to me, he just took a lot of hits to get rid of him.
Anyway, I don't know if I hate the pastel effect that this Zelda shows. It's beautiful and annoying at the same time...I feel a bit sad looking at those hd images of Dolphin emulated SW.

Insaniac

Played it for 11 hours so far and it is an awesome game. Like always my only complaint is that it gets un-sync fairly easily

I think i've had a serious desync only once so far, and that was when I was wagging like an idiot cutting those tall thin trees (I do so love cutting those). Other than that I've never had a problem especially during combat, since I never waggle during the fights. (Anybody who waggles during a fight, and complains about the controls is probably doing it wrong)

Got to the tablet where you fight your first skultula and it says there are doors leading left and right blah blah blah. I found the tunnel to the gem that raises the water level and did that. Now what? Have no idea where to go or what to do. I see the skultula on the other side and a treasure chest, but I cant find any other gems to hit.

go back to the first room where you have 3 doors, one left, right and forward. You went through the right one first by hitting the gem above it right? Now find the gem underneath the left door and go that way

Dartastic

I have not played it, but I have watched a friend play the last 2-3 hours. My answer is yes and no.

Yes because (end game story spoilers, highlight at own risk)
Fi, Impa and Groose have nice arcs and some touching moments. The final battle against Demise is intense. There is a scene at the end of the credits too and that was such a lovely touch and sets up the very beginnings of what will become Hyrule.

No because (end game story spoilers, highlight at own risk)
I may have missed some middle parts of the story, but the ending feels more understated and bitter-sweet than I thought it would and I think it may be below some peoples' expectations.

This game should be called The Legend of Groose.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I really like what they did to Fi and Link's dialogue options. Both can be smartasses and that's absolutely hilarious.

Also love the stamina gauge. The game flows a lot better than before and it helps make the zones larger.

The tablet is referring to the middle room where the Bokobolin was and the two doors are on either side. Heed what the tablet says and explore both rooms. You should be able to make some progress that way.

Jzero

I think i've had a serious desync only once so far, and that was when I was wagging like an idiot cutting those tall thin trees (I do so love cutting those). Other than that I've never had a problem especially during combat, since I never waggle during the fights. (Anybody who waggles during a fight, and complains about the controls is probably doing it wrong)
No i'm not even waggling it happens randomly. Also the only music that has got annoying so far is the Sky music that comes on when you ride your bird.

go back to the first room where you have 3 doors, one left, right and forward. You went through the right one first by hitting the gem above it right? Now find the gem underneath the left door and go that way

Ugh, I knew I was overlooking something like that. Thanks for the help!

Don't you know? Link should start killing and exploding stuff up the moment he opened the door of his bedroom :\

That's the way movies are now - if you don't explode, screw or swear in the first few minutes you've lost people.
I remember a someone commenting on the death of the first act (Brad Bird, maybe? Or Roger Ebert?) because modern audiences no longer have patience for a traditional 3-act structure.

I've been through the intro twice, first time up to the third dungeon and then restarted to do it 'properly' with a better understanding of the controls and gameplay. I actually find the whole early section really fun. My only trouble was with the constant tutorial-type stuff. But it's a fun intro with a lot of class so I can forgive it.

Gears of Zelda.

Gears 3 started with Marcus dreaming, then Marcus waking up, then Marcus walking around talking to people, then Marcus talking to Dom, then Dom and Marcus talking to Jase, then me as Dom playing the piano for five minutes because that is hilarious, then Marcus and Dom and Jase being called to do something.

Gears is a bad example!

oatmeal

Banned
Don't you know? Link should start killing and exploding stuff up the moment he opened the door of his bedroom :\

It's not the slow pace at the beginning, it's the handholding and forced dialogue stuff.

People just want to be set loose and figure it out. If they want to talk to people, they will.

Gears 3 started with Marcus dreaming, then Marcus waking up, then Marcus walking around talking to people, then Marcus talking to Dom, then Dom and Marcus talking to Jase, then me as Dom playing the piano for five minutes because that is hilarious, then Marcus and Dom and Jase being called to do something.

Gears is a bad example!

Awesome.

guek

Banned
Honestly, everything up until the first temple felt like a tutorial...even the first temple feels like one.

Yeah, so?

We have people bitching that the game holds your hand, then there are people bitching that the game doesn't tell you exactly how to solve certain puzzles or beat bosses, and from the sound of it, some people have a really hard time grasping the nuances of the motion controls which, in my personal experience with the game, work as intended 99% of the time.

The first few hours of the game are going to show you the ropes. That's to be expected. If this game were 8 hrs like many single player campaigns, losing a few hours to easing you into the game's mechanics would definitely feel like a waste. But this is a 40+ hr game. I've read a few people's impressions of the game definitely change the farther they progressed. Those opening segments are meant to be easy because they're meant to be an introduction.

I'm not saying it's wrong to dislike the opening segments. Of course that's up to you, and I think it's valid to want the game to pick up quicker. What I'm saying is I don't personally understand it. It just sounds like impatience to me. If the game just plopped you into the thick of it within the first hour, I think I'd probably be the one complaining.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
We have people bitching that the game holds your hand, then there are people bitching that the game doesn't tell you exactly how to solve certain puzzles or beat bosses, and from the sound of it, some people have a really hard time grasping the nuances of the motion controls which, in my personal experience with the game, work as intended 99% of the time.

Precisely... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

hyduK

Banned
Yeah, so?

The first few hours of the game are going to show you the ropes. That's to be expected. If this game were 8 hrs like many single player campaigns, losing a few hours to easing you into the game's mechanics would definitely feel like a waste. But this is a 40+ hr game. I've read a few people's impressions of the game definitely change the farther they progressed. Those opening segments are meant to be easy because they're meant to be an introduction.

I'm not saying it's wrong to dislike the opening segments. Of course that's up to you, and I think it's valid to want the game to pick up quicker. What I'm saying is I don't personally understand it. It just sounds like impatience to me. If the game just plopped you into the thick of it within the first hour, I think I'd probably be the one complaining.

The problem is that it's Zelda. It's a simplistic game, and Nintendo should be able to lay the concepts out in an appropriate amount of time. Not to mention in a more intuitive way than having some AI interrupt you and shove useless information into your brain. I don't disagree with having the information there for people that need it, but shit, I feel like I just spent three hours in a conversational loop with this guy:

e9a77fb3dfdd8a3c83ead315e6ddfb53.jpg

guek

Banned

I think it's partially due to the popularity of run and gun action games where figuring out what to do is as easy as pointing and shooting and partially due to how many more gamers there are now. People tend to expect different things it seems *shocking*.

Holy shit, you can go to the bathroom in this!? Best game ever!

Just got the sword and I'm loving the atmosphere, controls and Skyloft so far. The motion controls are really good and precise. I can't wait to master this because I'm already having a blast. Story seems to have potential too.

Will play more tomorrow.

guek

Banned
The problem is that it's Zelda. It's a simplistic game, and Nintendo should be able to lay the concepts out in an appropriate amount of time. Not to mention in a more intuitive way than having some AI interrupt you and shove useless information into your brain. I don't disagree with having the information there for people that need it, but shit, I feel like I just spent three hours in a conversational loop with this guy:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/e/9/a/e9a77fb3dfdd8a3c83ead315e6ddfb53.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Eh, you're entitled to your opinion, but it just seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Also, I wanted to say in response to your other comments that stamina is awesome. What don't you like about it? It replenishes quickly, it makes running around pretty fun, there's stamina fruit littered everywhere, and MOST IMPORTANTLY it lets you climb vines much more quickly ^_^

[quote="cosmicblizzard, post: 32848424"]Holy shit, you can go to the bathroom in this!? Best game ever!
[/QUOTE]

yeah but doesn't link just shit his pants? I mean he sits on the toilet with his pants on and then flushes as he leaves...

hyduK

Banned
I think it's partially due to the popularity of run and gun action games where figuring out what to do is as easy as pointing and shooting and partially due to how many more gamers there are now. People tend to expect different things it seems *shocking*.

Yes, because the concepts being explained to me in the tutorial (ie. "if you're low on health use a potion", "press down for help, and if you don't press down I'll press it for you, every 2 minutes") are far more complex than in an average shooter.

Anyway, I'm done the intro, so barring a system crash and me losing my saves I have nothing really to bitch about. I'll still sympathize with those yet to endure it, and am offering counselling via pm.

hyduK

Banned
Eh, you're entitled to your opinion, but it just seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Also, I wanted to say in response to your other comments that stamina is awesome. What don't you like about it? It replenishes quickly, it makes running around pretty fun, there's stamina fruit littered everywhere, and MOST IMPORTANTLY it lets you climb vines much more quickly ^_^
I was under the impression that the stamina was being used mostly for combat...and it hasn't really come into play there yet. It just gets annoying when you run out of it, and I really don't think it adds anything to the experience.

zoukka

The funniest shit is when both complaints come from the same user.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What are my chances of going around tomorrow morning and hunting down a special edition? I have 3 Gamestops near by, a walmart and a Best Buy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was under the impression that the stamina was being used mostly for combat...and it hasn't really come into play there yet. It just gets annoying when you run out of it, and I really don't think it adds anything to the experience.

There are certain boss fights that will punish you if you don't carefully manage your stamina--which in my opinion makes the overall thing really intense. Plus stamina is factored quite considerably by Nintendo in their dungeon/field designs for this game.

...and besides, rolling to move around looks stupid and idiotic.

So no, I disagree with you with the 'don't think it adds anything to the experience' part.

hyduK

Banned
What are my chances of going around tomorrow morning and hunting down a special edition? I have 3 Gamestops near by, a walmart and a Best Buy.

I couldn't get one today, the stores all said that aside from preorders they got 1-2. Which sucks, since I needed the M+.

hyduK

Banned
There are boss fights that will punish you if you don't carefully manage your stamina. Plus stamina is factored quite considerably by Nintendo when designing dungeon/field designs.

...and rolling to move around looks stupid and idiotic.

So no, I disagree with you with the 'don't think it adds anything to the experience' part.
You mean when ensuring the proper amount of filler? Yeah, I agree there.

And a lot of things look stupid and idiotic...the swinging animation for example. Not that I even mentioned rolling, they could have just allowed us to run without consequence.

zoukka

And a lot of things look stupid and idiotic...the swinging animation for example. Not that I even mentioned rolling, they could have just allowed us to run without consequence.

I think he meant all the platforming with the stamina.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So yeah, picked up the game, finished the first dungeon. So far so good. Motion controls work, intro isn't bad.

But God DAMN those jaggies! Plus I think my screen just doesn't like this game. I can see some faint weird horizontal lines or some kind of noise but I can't get rid of it. (Noise reduction is already at maximum.) It's not the cables, I switched back and forth between my composite and component and it's the same result.

Medalion

Banned
I finally beat Ghirahim, once you figure out his patterns he was easy enough.

I am now at Eldin Volcano ready to find the 5 split pieces of the key to what I assume is the Fire Temple, I am calling it quites cuz I've been playing for approx 8 hours and it's getting late.

So far I am finding the game hard to put down cuz it's fun to play Zelda again, but I do have some issues with the fact the the controls are not as intuitive as a controller, having to memorize which combination of swings and presses is a bit much sometimes, and I can see how that would turn off some people... definetly not for casual players, luckily I love Zelda enough to give it a go but not everybody can take all this memorization.

guek

Banned
So yeah, picked up the game, finished the first dungeon. So far so good. Motion controls work, intro isn't bad.

But God DAMN those jaggies! Plus I think my screen just doesn't like this game. I can see some faint weird horizontal lines or some kind of noise but I can't get rid of it. (Noise reduction is already at maximum.) It's not the cables, I switched back and forth between my composite and component and it's the same result.

What are you playing it on?

Seik

Banned
I am now at Eldin Volcano ready to find the 5 split pieces of the key to what I assume is the Fire Temple, I am calling it quites cuz I've been playing for approx 8 hours and it's getting late.

We're exactly at the same place, I have three of these pieces but I'm not sure how to reach the fourth/fifth pieces. Well, I'll find soon enough! :)

D-Pad

Just started through the second temple, but I can see where the complaint about combat comes from, especially when surrounded by multiple enemies. Where as against one or two enemies I'm able to plan my strike and swing accordingly, I'm not able to do so against five or six enemies and end up "waggling" Twilight Princess style. This, of course, doesn't work either so I'm basically sol.

Bomb bowling sucks ass.

Besides that and some unnecessary hand holding (*cough*Fi*cough*) I'm having a blast. That Zelda magic is still present. If only Nintendo supported patching to patch out some of the annoyances, or at least tone them down, then the game would be near perfect.

Problem for me so far is that the game holds your hand at the wrong moments.

We're exactly at the same place, I have three of these pieces but I'm not sure how to reach the fourth/fifth pieces. Well, I'll find soon enough! :)
This was another problem for me: The dowsing item only finds one item at a time. I guess in a particular order, so it's also holding your hand in a way. Why can't it detect all of the items at once, and then let ME choose the order to collect them?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well alright, if that is how you see it, let's just agree to disagree then.

I personally find the stamina meter adds a new dimension to this game that further differentiates it to any other game in this series, in a good way. A particular boss fight alone for me completely justifies the inclusion of the stamina meter, not to mention the additional elements of dungeon/field designs that are only possible due to it.

Top Bottom