• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Chanser

Something I realized during the first boss fight (Ghirham) that I thought I'd share: During the first phase where follows your sword around with his hand, if you're patient and wait a few seconds, he'll "lock" his hand in place, and then you can hit him from a different direction.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, so sorry if old!

Noticed that after dying a few times.

So I've just got the
cursed medal
(not really a spoiler but whatever. It's an optional item from a decent amount into the game), and I'm just wondering if you can still use fairies when you die with it equipped. I don't really want to test myself 'cause I'm too lazy to find fairies, but...yeah >_>

Seik

Banned
Ajpkk.jpg

It's just great on Dolphin! ^^ (This pic doesn't do it justice though, it lost quality in the transition)

It's past the tower that you blow up right beside the temple entrance.

EDIT: GOT IT! nvm! Thanks haha! XD

Zekes!

Position your Wii remote upwards/on a standing position/stance. Press the control stick forward and adjust the wii remote accordingly to balance as Link moves forward/backwards.

It's really simple, actually.

I just saw your response to me about the tightrope controls a few pages back and man I feel like an idiot haha. I don't know why I didn't clue in to holding the Wiimote upright, but like I said for whatever reason it works (at least for me) if you keep it horizontal and just aim to the left and the right.

Garcia

I just started it last night.... Holy crap it's MASSIVE, in a good way <3. I fell in love with the enviroments!

On the tightropes just move your Wiimote left and right while pointing up, moving to the rhythm of the sound of the creaking of the rope. It's fast little movements.

Medalion

Banned
When one gets bored of playing the main surface level missions, take to the skies again... i tried to fly into the giant swirling clouds that looked like a hurricane... Unfortunately it did nothing... Yet

Reknoc

I'm not sure,
I think I know what you mean I just checked it out, but there is a bridge that isn't moving like the first one before. There seems to be a way on the side which I tried by holding on the ledge and I just fell to my death.
Maybe we're not talking about the same place too. XD

Go to the right if you're facing the temple where the little camp is, go across the tower into the too hot for Link area and go right.

Chao

Something I realized during the first boss fight (Ghirham) that I thought I'd share: During the first phase where follows your sword around with his hand, if you're patient and wait a few seconds, he'll "lock" his hand in place, and then you can hit him from a different direction.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, so sorry if old!

Also, if your sword gets stuck in his hand it's easier to release it by pulling it up. It makes sense since he's holding the blade with two fingers

Garcia

Btw: Controlls are flawless. A vast improvement over the stupid flail and slash from TP. Shigeru was right when he mentioned they focused on the immersion aspect of the game, and it definitely paid off. The results are impressive, it feels as if you were right in front of the enemies.

Just beat the first dungeon, have 7 hours clocked so far. I'm hoping to start some sidequests soon and explore the sky. Loving it so far, graphics are great and I don't seem to get a lot of jaggies on my screen (or maybe I just don't notice). Controls are awesome and work extremely well, even if I'm still getting used to some stuff (I didn't know you had to hold the controller vertical on the tightrope parts).

Also, Fi is awesome and hilarious. Why are some disliking her?

john tv

This was another problem for me: The dowsing item only finds one item at a time. I guess in a particular order, so it's also holding your hand in a way. Why can't it detect all of the items at once, and then let ME choose the order to collect them?
That's not true - it just picks the one closest to where you're pointing.

That's not true - it just picks the one closest to where you're pointing.

Yeah, in the second area, it was definitely showing me more than one at a time.

Though after that, I decided to stop using dowsing since mostly it can just be boiled down to "What have I not seen yet?" And I like going by that question more than being told a direction.

Gregorn

The EXACT SAME THING happened to me in my first playthrough, lol!

That happened to me too, my heart was pumping so fast, which is something that doesn't usually happen with Zelda games. I didn't see any of them even take a swing at me though, so maybe they're not as scary as they appear to be.

The 5th boss was a little weird. It felt cool because it was like 'wow, I didn't expect this to happen in a Zelda game', but after playing Uncharted 3 it just felt so simple and lame.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thanks guys! I was holding it pointing towards the screen no wonder it doesn't work at all :/
Works fine without going vertical for me, just doing the same as marc^o^ described. Basically just subtly waved left/right and Link never lost balance.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Does Pripit's Mom have a thing for Link?
There's a lot of sexual tension between her and Link, that's for sure.
After you
clean her house, if you get what I mean
, you sleep on her bed. Then you wake up, leave, and she asks you to say hi to her son. Then
Pipit gets angry because she's giving their family's money to you
Not hard to read between the lines ;p

watershed

Banned
Bought this game early this morning or yesterday I guess, I have been playing it as much as possible throughout the day. Loving the experience so far. I've just completed the second dungeon, loved both. I like how the dungeons make use of multiple items and mix in different puzzles instead of being based around just one mechanic. Each room of each dungeon feels really dense in ideas.

The motion controls work great most of the time. I really like the flying and all the motion controlled items, the only trouble I have is with sword combat from time to time. I like just about every change/addition in the game so far though I do miss having a nice, calming overworld. My only complaints are minor quibbles like not being able to skip text when talking to npcs and the save system which I think should act as warp points after you discover them, and a few other things.

I have the same feeling I had when playing Super Mario 3D Land last week: This is a great game in the series and I don't want to stop playing.

Alexios

I think the sleeping thing was just you, it's not required for the deed... also, lol @ breaking everything in the house but it's okay.

I think the best boss so far (early) is the scorpion, it's a better fight than the footage we saw countless times over suggested. It really wasn't in its element there.

Feels like an actual fight, not a mini puzzle like others, despite the use of the token item...

I'm liking the game, but I would like it a lot more if I didn't feel like I was fighting the controls all the time. It really does some weird stuff... the thing that annoys me most is the map screen pointer goes off center ALL THE TIME. It's like every time I want to look at my map I can't get over that the pointer is way over to the right or left when it should be in the center because I haven't moved my hand since the last time I checked the map...

Also, it's really hard to get used to the fact that whenever you enter aiming mode, the game takes wherever you were pointing before you started aiming as center, so if I am lazy pointing my wii remote downward and enter aiming mode, lets say I want to aim up just a little, so I point my wii remote upward but then I'm looking at the sky, because I forgot my wii remote was pointing down to start.

Then there's the thrusting... there is one particular mini boss fight where you pretty much have to use thrust attacks entirely to beat him, and for some reason thrust attacks just were NOT working when I used them. The weird thing is is that every time I died (due to my thrusting causing Link to do absolutely nothing) I would try thrusting over and over again outside the boss room and I would have a 100% success rate out there. I finally beat the boss by attacking it without locking on. I am convinced locking on to the enemy had something to do with the thrust attack not working properly... I have no idea why this is.

So, yeah, the controls are really quite frustrating. The aiming usually works great if I first hold up my arm and point directly at the tv, but that's a really uncomfortable position to hold. It would be really nice if the calibration didn't go out of alignment every 5 minutes either

Alexios

By the way, can you sell stuff? I got two pouches for extra slingshot ammo... found one right after buying another from the store :S

I think they stack but it's really not necessary/worth using another item slot for so I keep it in storage.

@above, if you stay calm you'll probably have better success rate. If you get frustrated you'll keep doing it wrong.

And you don't have to hold your arm up, just angle your wrist to point roughly at the center than press the first person/weapon button you want.

By the way, can you sell stuff? I got two pouches for extra slingshot ammo... found one right after buying another from the store :S

I think they stack but it's really not necessary/worth using another item slot for so I keep it in storage.

you can sell it to the item check girl for a measly 50 rupees

watershed

Banned
So, yeah, the controls are really quite frustrating. The aiming usually works great if I first hold up my arm and point directly at the tv, but that's a really uncomfortable position to hold. It would be really nice if the calibration didn't go out of alignment every 5 minutes either

Have you checked your calibration from the wii system menu or the battery level on your wiimote? That could be causing some issues. I've only had issues with fast motions but the pointing and items work great for me.

You can sell stuff to the storage shop, it should be on the bottom left of the screen.

Alexios

Thanks! Btw did anyone tell her he just goes there to see her? I loled and said no but wanna see what she'd do...

Probably just brush you off rather than lead into a quest or something I imagine, but still...

I kinda expected to be able to get asked again and see the other answer, but nope. CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES, lol.

watershed

Banned
Oh and another thing, I really dig Skyloft and all its townfolk. Probably my 2nd favorite zelda town with Windfall Island being number one. After my major disappointment with TP I thought maybe the zelda series was no longer for me, but this game has thankfully proven otherwise.

Have you checked your calibration from the wii system menu or the battery level on your wiimote? That could be causing some issues. I've only had issues with fast motions but the pointing and items work great for me.

Well I calibrated in the Wii system menu before starting the game, so I don't think it's that. I just put in fresh batteries this morning as well, so pretty sure it's not that either. Everything seems to be perfect after the initial calibration, it just seems that it loses that calibration fairly quickly. It's really only for the map screen and bug/item/status screens, though. I've never noticed my sword go way out of wack or anything like, for instance, Link holding his sword to the left when I am in fact holding my wii remote to the right, that has never happened. I think part of the problem is I just think about it way too much. I can't seem to just play the game without thinking about whether the controls are going to be frustrating or work properly or not. I find myself constantly checking on it, like entering first person mode every time I'm not doing anything else, or swinging my sword around randomly just to check it still works lol

EDIT: In response to the town discussion on the previous page: I really think Skyloft should have been more like a Clock Town sort of thing, with LOTS of side quests to do and lots of people to help. Considering it is the ONLY town in the game, and the only NPC interaction you really get, you would think they would have made the lives of the citizens of Skyloft more complex and deep, with lots to do and see and stuff. Clock Town is still pretty amazing, even today. I'd like to see that kind of effort go into a Zelda town again some day

Well, damn.

I got my brand new 42" ST30 Panasonic Plasma all set up, connected the component cables, switched to game mode annnnnd... it looks awful. Link is unrecognizable, it's difficult to make out a door versus a splotch on the wall, and there are noticeable vertical lines whenever I'm in a darker area. I spent a solid hour fiddling with the settings, set sharpness to 0, and it doesn't look any better.

Putting the Wii and TV in 4:3 mode helps a tiny bit, but man is it weird to be playing a letterboxed game inside of a bigger TV. If I can't solve this, I may just have to hook up my CRT again to play my Wii.

The game is wonderful, though.

zoukka

Well, damn.

I got my brand new 42" ST30 Panasonic Plasma all set up, connected the component cables, switched to game mode annnnnd... it looks awful. Link is unrecognizable, it's difficult to make out a door versus a splotch on the wall, and there are noticeable vertical lines whenever I'm in a darker area. I spent a solid hour fiddling with the settings, set sharpness to 0, and it doesn't look any better.

Putting the Wii and TV in 4:3 mode helps a tiny bit, but man is it weird to be playing a letterboxed game inside of a bigger TV. If I can't solve this, I may just have to hook up my CRT again to play my Wii.

The game is wonderful, though.

Your settings are fucked, because I have a very similar set as you and the game looks clear as a day.

watershed

Banned
Well I calibrated in the Wii system menu before starting the game, so I don't think it's that. I just put in fresh batteries this morning as well, so pretty sure it's not that either. Everything seems to be perfect after the initial calibration, it just seems that it loses that calibration fairly quickly. It's really only for the map screen and bug/item/status screens, though. I've never noticed my sword go way out of wack or anything like, for instance, Link holding his sword to the left when I am in fact holding my wii remote to the right, that has never happened. I think part of the problem is I just think about it way too much. I can't seem to just play the game without thinking about whether the controls are going to be frustrating or work properly or not. I find myself constantly checking on it, like entering first person mode every time I'm not doing anything else, or swinging my sword around randomly just to check it still works lol

I don't know what to say then. I've kind of had the opposite of your experience. The map, flying, slingshot, any pointing, and the beetle have all been great so far and combat is when I notice issues the most. If you're having issues with the items smooth, gradual motions seem to work best and you can calibrate while using most items at any time. I usually calibrate right after I bring an item up because I also relax my hands when not using motion controls.

@SecretMoblin: Don't set sharpness to zero that would make any game a mess to look at. I have a different set than you but its also a 42" hdtv you shouldn't have to switch to 4:3 mode or anything too complex just to get a good image.

Top Bottom