• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Magnus

Hmmm, there are a lot of polar opinions on this. I had absolutely no issues with that battle, and I thought everything was really responsive. I wonder why some people are having so many issues, while others have little or none.

That's not saying much considering all he would do is the same canned combo over and over.

For about 10 minutes, I tried every conceivable method of attack in that first phase, all resulting in him grabbing and me failing. Horizontal, vertical, diagonal, poke thrusts, pausing still then attacking at the very last moment, dragging his attention in one direction then slashing from the other, whirlwind slash, attempting to roll slash into him or roll slash around him...you name it. Eventually, Fi fired a hint at me, which was worded to suggest I should slash on the opposite side of his extended hand grip - nope, never worked.

Ultimately, I went back to pausing still with my sword arm prone, and then going wild with either poke thrusts or wild horizontal slashing. It would fail every two out of three times, and then randomly work.

Obviously I was missing something for this fight.

linkboy

The whole first boss fight was bullshit. Wasn't impressed, and Link definitely wasn't swinging the way I wanted him to. I ended up winning phase 1 every time by accident.

The first part I have no problem with (that's easy), its the second part that's fucking me over.

I'm losing my shield, so I'm forced to fight him with just my sword, I get him where I want him and bam, my swing doesn't register properly, and he takes it out on my ass.

I've had problems with Deku Baba's. Fucking Deku Baba's, one of the weakest enemies in the damn series. I get a horizontal one, I swing horizontal, it doesn't register. I swing vertical, it doesn't register.

Honestly, about the only enemies I'm not having trouble with are the damn Skutulla's (but that's only because the slingshot stuns them after you turn them around).

I really like what Nintendo is trying to do with motion, I really do, but it just to frustrating when it doesn't do what you want it to do, when you did the right thing.

I felt like I was fighting the controls for a while too, until I made a few important realizations about how you have to move the sword to prepare for a strike and how you have to follow through. The best advice I can offer is this: its not designed to be played nearly as fast as I thought it was. Once I slowed down and really made my slashes deliberate it got a lot better.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow after I've cooled down a bit, kinda pissed right now.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I felt like I was fighting the controls for a while too, until I made a few important realizations about how you have to move the sword to prepare for a strike and how you have to follow through. The best advice I can offer is this: its not designed to be played nearly as fast as I thought it was. Once I slowed down and really made my slashes deliberate it got a lot better.
Agreed. I kept trying to do quick wrist flicks like I'm accustomed to from past Wii games. It just doesn't work well here. Waggling can only get you so far before you get frustrated. As long I as take my time and do slightly larger motions, I can swing in the desired direction 99% of the time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regarding Dusk Relics....

Can you get back into the shadow realm to collect them? I've already done all three flames and I'm one short to do some upgrades

Phenomic

Can you get back into the shadow realm to collect them? I've already done all three flames and I'm one short to do some upgrades

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but do you remember how many you needed in total for all the upgrades? I bascially farmed 20 of them in the first one just in case something like that happened.

Magnus

The first part I have no problem with (that's easy), its the second part that's fucking me over.

I'm losing my shield, so I'm forced to fight him with just my sword, I get him where I want him and bam, my swing doesn't register properly, and he takes it out on my ass.

I've had problems with Deku Baba's. Fucking Deku Baba's, one of the weakest enemies in the damn series. I get a horizontal one, I swing horizontal, it doesn't register. I swing vertical, it doesn't register.

Honestly, about the only enemies I'm not having trouble with are the damn Skutulla's (but that's only because the slingshot stuns them after you turn them around).

I really like what Nintendo is trying to do with motion, I really do, but it just to frustrating when it doesn't do what you want it to do, when you did the right thing.

Hahaha, hilarious. The second part of the fight wound up easier for me. It was the definitely that first ridiculous phase that incensed me.

And yeah, I have to agree with you on the M+ here. The degree to which the game is failing to recognize my gestures almost seems to be increasing the more I play.

I also gave up on shields. That piece of shit wooden shield broke within 15 minutes of me acquiring it. Didn't bother going to get another one.

Impression after 1 hr:

I'm not far in the game at all. I've just basically found out that I can't find my bird and I'm supposed to find it. That's how early I am.

The first thing I noticed is that the game is not using IR to track your on screen movements. Pretty apparent when choosing a file. This is ANNOYING. Why do I have to point 45 degrees down to get the cursor to press START? I didn't find any options to adjust the cursor like TP :/ WTF? I wish the cursor moved faster when looking around too. It feels slow like molasses. :(

The intro was generic Zelda intro. At least it wasn't as long as Windwaker or it didn't seem like it was.

Graphics are just ok so far. I'm not a big fan of the pastel colors, everything looks a bit too bright and washed out . I had noticed this on still pictures and trailers. I'm hoping it will grow on me eventually.

Is it me or do characters and the world in general look blockier than TP? Also, I don't remember TP being jaggy like this. The characters themselves look nice enough but I can't help think that Nintendo is being too modest in the number of polygons in the characters and the architecture in general.

I was also shocked that Link's animation seems so stiff. The jump animation is particularly awful. I fell in love with Link's jump animation in OoT on the 3DS. Why does animation on a new Zelda game looks so poor? I mean crap, The Prince in Sands of Time makes Link's animation look down right sad. So odd.

I know I might be nitpicking but these are the things that jumped to me as I started playing. I have little doubt I will grow to like - if not love - this game. I just hope that everything else in the game doesn't look as bright as the beginning does.

VerTiGo

Banned
Nine hours in and I am loving the game. I am finally getting more comfortable with the controls. At first I wasn't too crazy about all of it but I am getting the feel for it now where I am not fighting with it as much.

I appreciate the new feel of things. I love the dash mechanic. It makes me wish there was more PoP-style platforming though...

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Here's some hints to those having trouble with the first boss.

The key idea in this fight is to not rush. If you rush, Ghirahim will punish your ass in a heartbeat.

First phase: Move your sword around until his hand stops moving. Then quickly move your sword in the opposite direction of his hand and swing. Try not to swing more than four times or he'll jump backwards.

Second phase: My method is a little trickier, but faster. Whenever he runs at you, swing at him right as he is within reach. If you time it right, he won't land a single hit. Whenever he teleports and raises his sword, I didn't even bother with swinging at him after getting countered twice. If you can hit him accurately without him countering, go for it. Either dodge or swing at those red things he sends at you.

It's a pretty lengthy and difficult fight for a first boss. Just take your time and you can defeat him in no time. Also, make sure you're doing larger motions for your sword swings. Quick twitchy movements can work occasionally, but they will ultimately cause frustration.

Try talking to the guy that lets you do Boss Rush mode. Apparently you are able to replay the Silent Realm sections somewhere around there.

I'm not far in the game at all. I've just basically found out that I can't find my bird and I'm supposed to find it. That's how early I am.

The first thing I noticed is that the game is not using IR to track your on screen movements. Pretty apparent when choosing a file. This is ANNOYING. Why do I have to point 45 degrees down to get the cursor to press START? I didn't find any options to adjust the cursor like TP :/ It feels slow like molasses, WTF? I wish the cursor moved faster when looking around too :(
It works like a 3D Mouse. It doesn't rely on how many degrees you point down but moving the entire controller to where you want it to go.

I'm loving this game, but if Fi pops up one more time after a character already tells me what to do, and then TELLS ME WHAT TO DO in slightly clearer terms, I'm throwing the Wiimote through my TV.

Big Kikwi "Oh hey I'm not leaving this place until you find my family."
All-Intrusive Fi "There's an 85% probability that the big bird wants you to find the little birds. DOWSING IS AWESOME."

Chanser

Died a few times on the first boss encounter that was because I was rushing and not paying attention. Finally figured it out though.

I'm loving this game, but if Fi pops up one more time after a character already tells me what to do, and then TELLS ME WHAT TO DO in slightly clearer terms, I'm throwing the Wiimote through my TV.

All-Intrusive Fi "There's an 85% probability that the big bird wants you to find the little birds. DOWSING IS AWESOME."

Game: "Here's a map, it shows you where stuff is"
Fi: "This is a map. It shows you the location of properties in their intended location. Just thought you should know!"

I find Fi mildly annoying, but I'm also one of the guys who didn't froth at the mouth in response to Navi.

I didn't even care about Navi, who tells you a few key things in the Deku Tree then basically leaves you alone unless you need her. Fi just automatically pops up after conversations to reiterate what was said in a more robotic manner.

How do I get into the forest temple? Everything has been explained 10x times but I get to the door and nothing. I sent a couple boxes into the sky and did some side stuff but no indication on what to do for that door.

linkboy

I find Fi mildly annoying, but I'm also one of the guys who didn't froth at the mouth in response to Navi.

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather have Navi then Fi. Fi is way to robotic for me. At least Navi, while annoying, got to the point. Fi bogs you down in details.

You've fought this enemy 0 times, I'm totally useless right now, but I'm going to interrupt your game anyways just to tell you this.

Midna would bitch slap her into next week (she's still the best sidekick Nintendo's come up with).

Thoraxes

How do I get into the forest temple? Everything has been explained 10x times but I get to the door and nothing. I sent a couple boxes into the sky and did some side stuff but no indication on what to do for that door.

Uh, did you shoot down the rope with your slingshot like the big Kiwki explains to you how to do when get the item?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I don't really get the complaints about Fi, but that's probably because I've been mentally separating her into two categories the entire time.

As a character, Fi has been really interesting so far. I can't wait to see how she progresses. But purely as a game mechanic, they went a little overboard. I'm in the third area and she still won't shut her mouth about obvious things.

Go to the door. Look up.

linkboy

There's a crystal switch right above the door, hit it with your sling shot

Sinoox

Banned
I didn't even care about Navi, who tells you a few key things in the Deku Tree then basically leaves you alone unless you need her. Fi just automatically pops up after conversations to reiterate what was said in a more robotic manner.

I always had a hard time trying to figure out why everybody thought Navi was annoying. All you hear is a hey or listen every so often and then she's out of your way. Now that you bring it up, Fi was far more intruding.

Looks like you'll be in the market for a new TV. She's not gonna stop, so just accept that now. It will only get more infuriating as you've got 20 hrs under your belt and she's telling you the same shit.

Midna had an actual character and personality, so while she still did the neccesary Zelda guide stuff, she was far more entertaining with her snide remarks or that weird little laugh. Plus it helps that she has an actual, honest to god character arc throughout the game; she's really the protagonist of the whole thing.

Fi makes it incredibly obvious that this is Nintendo holding your hand through every single little new step you take, with no character or spark to hide it with.

linkboy

I always had a hard time trying to figure out why everybody thought Navi was annoying. All you hear is a hey or listen every so often and then she's out of your way. Now that you bring it up, Fi was far more intruding.

I think it had to do with the fact that Navi was the first sidekick. None of the previous games had a character like that.

Fi is far, far worse. Its the fact that she is so robotic that's the most annoying. She is in desperate need of a personality.

Anyone else notice (music spoiler, early on)
the music in the Knight Academy after Link and Zelda's father talk and Link sets out on the mission was a remix of the first few measures of the original theme
?

Overall my impressions are very positive after about 5-6 hours and only going through the first dungeon. Yeah I'm taking my sweet-ass time with this.

Little side note: I wish they'd implemented the ability to run and swing your sword at the same time like they did in TP. Nothing major but I miss it.

Impression after 1 hr:

The first thing I noticed is that the game is not using IR to track your on screen movements. Pretty apparent when choosing a file. This is ANNOYING. Why do I have to point 45 degrees down to get the cursor to press START? I didn't find any options to adjust the cursor like TP :/ WTF? I wish the cursor moved faster when looking around too. It feels slow like molasses. :(

The intro was generic Zelda intro. At least it wasn't as long as Windwaker or it didn't seem like it was.

Graphics are just ok so far. I'm not a big fan of the pastel colors, everything looks a bit too bright and washed out . I had noticed this on still pictures and trailers. I'm hoping it will grow on me eventually.

Is it me or do characters and the world in general look blockier than TP? Also, I don't remember TP being jaggy like this. The characters themselves look nice enough but I can't help think that Nintendo is being too modest in the number of polygons in the characters and the architecture in general.

I was also shocked that Link's animation seems so stiff. The jump animation is particularly awful. I fell in love with Link's jump animation in OoT on the 3DS. Why does animation on a new Zelda game looks so poor? I mean crap, The Prince in Sands of Time makes Link's animation look down right sad. So odd.

I know I might be nitpicking but these are the things that jumped to me as I started playing. I have little doubt I will grow to like - if not love - this game. I just hope that everything else in the game doesn't look as bright as the beginning does.

Yeah I agree with everything you said. The animation of link swinging from a vine and landing is atrocious. His legs stay like completely straight. Did they even hire an animator? Have some basic kinetic reactions would have done wonders.

I still believe the best realized Zelda from a visual standpoint is WW. They just absolutely NAILED the look they were going for. Just watched some youtube videos to remind me- and yes- it still looks absolutely incredible. One of the most magical games I've ever played, just so much charm and the visual style was so alive and so enchanting. Animation was also top-notch. SS is a step backwards in that regard, absolutely. Way, way more rigid.

Lingitiz

Go to the front of the door and
look at the ceiling.

Varna

Fi makes it incredibly obvious that this is Nintendo holding your hand through every single little new step you take, with no character or spark to hide it with.

The sad part is that designed her to be that way... completely dry and monotone.

They actual thought that was a good idea for a character they would force so much interaction with.

I'm having zero issues getting Link to swing the way I need him to. One tip I can offer is that when you are trying to readjust yourself for a different kind of strike you have to move the remote much slower... otherwise you will just perform another strike.

Midna had an actual character and personality, so while she still did the neccesary Zelda guide stuff, she was far more entertaining with her snide remarks or that weird little laugh. Plus it helps that she has an actual, honest to god character arc throughout the game; she's really the protagonist of the whole thing.

I loved Midna, one of the few good things about TP. I just get really bored playing through that game (until certain dungeons at least). I remember really caring what would happen to Midna as you carry her to Hyrule Castle after she's injured.

I don't think Fi would be so bad if there weren't so many other things holding your hand in the beginning of the game. Things like the Sheikah Stones, the guards who give you a lecture when you fall off Skyloft (which I enjoy, but after a while it gets a little annoying), other characters.

I loved Midna, one of the few good things about TP. I just get really bored playing through that game (until certain dungeons at least). I remember really caring what would happen to Midna as you carry her to Hyrule Castle after she's injured.

I don't think Fi would be so bad if there weren't so many other things holding your hand in the beginning of the game. Things like the Sheikah Stones, the guards who give you a lecture when you fall off Skyloft (which I enjoy, but after a while it gets a little annoying), other characters.

You fell off? :p

jackdoe

After some more time with the game, I've come to grips with the motion plus control. It's not accurate enough to properly read your moves if you're swinging like a maniac, which was what I did at first. You have to be more deliberate in your swings. It's working much better now but I can definitely see people not able to adapt and hating the controls. Loftwing isn't fun at all to fly though.

Also, the art direction has been impressive as hell, but I wish they didn't skimp on some of the textures, namely the pictures on the wall. I don't mind if the table has low resolution textures, but if a portrait/mural on the wall is a blurry mess it's a bit disappointing.

cajunator

Banned
Finished the first dungeon, and sadly done for awhile. :(

Loved the boss battle! Having some problems with swinging the sword because I'm left handed. I had the same problem with Red Steel 2 and I can't use the analog in my right hand to walk around at all. Feels so weird lol, so I'm sticking with Analog in left, wiimote in right. Like Red Steel 2, it will take done time to get use too, but once I get the hang of things I'll be sword swiping with the best of them!

Unfortunately I have work out of town tomorrow and Tuesday, so my next play session won't be until Tuesday night. :( I imagine I will be very Anxious during work, but when I'm driving home Tuesday night, knowing I have the rest of the week to celebrate Thanksgiving and play Skyward Sword....... That is going to be one hell of a feeling!

I am in a very similar situation.
Got it Sunday morning and haven't gotten to the first temple yet.
I'm off Tuesday morning till the next Tuesday and tha's when the real fun begins.
This last night of work will be excruciating.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's nice to being able to solve puzzles on my own without any help from FAQ or online help :) Everything can be solved so long you pay attention, be patient, and just stop to think for a while.

And by God it seems like the "Motion+ Controls are just fine" club are getting thin in numbers. I just cannot believe the extent of problems people are having with it--one might think Nintendo is deliberately trying to screw people or something like that.

Duderz

Banned
Need some help with the Eldin Volcano. I've gone as far as I can until a dead end which can clearly be bombed. It's right after you run over the sinking bones. Any help?

That said, so far the game is very high caliber. The Motion+ controls are well done, I haven't really experience any problems save for flying the beetle. The music....oh man, just wow, easily the best yet so far. I'm really enjoying the game.

EDIT: NVM, I think I've figured it out. :)

It's nice to being able to solve puzzles on my own without any help from FAQ or online help :) Everything can be solved so long you pay attention, be patient, and just stop to think for a while.

And by God it seems like the "Motion+ Controls are just fine" club are getting thin in numbers. I just cannot believe the extent of problems people are having with it--one might think Nintendo is deliberately trying to screw people or something like that.

Or people can't play with motion controls, are trying to waggle or move to fast and aren't interested in learning what to do.

RaidenZR

I searched the thread and didn't see any tips, just one or two other people mentioning it, but can someone help me out with the
carrying the 5 pumpkins task?
It's either a total pain in the ass or I just don't get it.
I walk slow, do what it tells me about leaning with the pumpkins to rebalance them, but they always drop before I get anywhere near the damn shed. Is Link supposed to just face the same way, straight ahead, for the whole walk?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Need some help with the Eldin Volcano. I've gone as far as I can until a dead end which can clearly be bombed. It's right after you run over the sinking bones. Any help?
I forgot about that part. I guess I did get stuck once a bit earlier in the game than I remembered.

Roll the bomb.

EDIT: I see you figured it out.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

That said, so far the game is very high caliber. The Motion+ controls are well done, I haven't really experience any problems save for flying the beetle. The music....oh man, just wow, easily the best yet so far. I'm really enjoying the game.

Roll the bombs over the sinking bones, bowling style.

Do you know you can consult to the Sheikah Stone near the Sparring Hall in Skyloft? It will actually show you the video solution to the game's puzzles.... even sidequests!

I really like Fi, but I do agree they could have done more to reign her back. They're trying to write her character as alien/robotic, but they can convey this info a lot more elegantly than they are now.

There was one time I got really pissed off at her, though. During the 1st boss fight I was kind of struggling, so when her icon began blinking I gladly pressed it, hoping for info. She instead informed me my health was low.

Speaking of the 1st boss, the best way to beat his first form is to kind of ignore what the game says. It says you shouldn't telegraph your attack, which is true if you're constantly switching your attack stances, as he'll update his hand position instantly. Instead, blatantly telegraph your direction of attack for a few seconds to "lock" his hand into place, then quick switch to the opposite direction and attack. You'll hit him 100% of the time

I'm cool with Fi just because of that
gorgeous sequence when you're chasing her through Skyloft at night
, that shit was simply beautiful.

Top Bottom