• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Poyunch

My god that opening was terribly. Walk sucks is I had to save right in front of the first dungeon because I have projects to do. Shut up Fi.

jackdoe

Or people can't play with motion controls, are trying to waggle or move to fast and aren't interested in learning what to do.
It's due to the hardware. Once you understand its limitations (it can't register rapid movement very well) and adapt by slowing down your swing and making it more deliberate, then you're good to go. Of course, you have to figure this out on your own which doubles the frustration if you have little patience for a game not controlling as you expect it to control. Had they flat out told you through the instructor to be more deliberate with your swings, then I think you'd have fewer complaints.

It took me time to adjust, but the controls can still be finicky at times if during a heated battle, you swing too quickly for Motion Plus to recognize that a horizontal swing is actually a horizontal swing.

Also, if you screw up the "lay it flat" calibration, you're in for a funky time which is why I find it lame that they don't have an option to re-do calibration when you're in the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm cool with Fi just because of that
gorgeous sequence when you're chasing her through Skyloft at night
, that shit was simply beautiful.

The music was incredibly sublime.

...Just be careful not to fall down from the cliffs, however. To have a knight lecturing you really sullied the majestic feeling of the whole ordeal, hahaha.

Also to those complaining the opening is "slow".... how "fast" the opening should be? Should Link running from explosions and killing stuff right at the moment he opens the door of his bedroom? I swear a lot of people are so full of impatience these days!

Also, if you screw up the "lay it flat" calibration, you're in for a funky time which is why I find it lame that they don't have an option to re-do calibration when you're in the game.

They have it, actually, on the menus...... just click on the Wii Remote icon below the sword icon; the one right next to the interface selection.

It's due to the hardware. Once you understand its limitations (it can't register rapid movement very well) and adapt by slowing down your swing and making it more deliberate, then you're good to go. Of course, you have to figure this out on your own which doubles the frustration if you have little patience for a game not controlling as you expect it to control. Had they flat out told you through the instructor to be more deliberate with your swings, then I think you'd have fewer complaints.

It took me time to adjust, but the controls can still be finicky at times if during a heated battle, you swing too quickly for Motion Plus to recognize that a horizontal swing is actually a horizontal swing.

Don't they? I thought there was one.

RaidenZR

You can do the "lay it flat" calibration by simply taking out your batteries or disconnecting the motion plus really quick.

quoting myself cause I was on the ass-end of the last page:
I searched the thread and didn't see any tips, just one or two other people mentioning it, but can someone help me out with the
carrying the 5 pumpkins task?
It's either a total pain in the ass or I just don't get it.
I walk slow, do what it tells me about leaning with the pumpkins to rebalance them, but they always drop before I get anywhere near the damn shed. Is Link supposed to just face the same way, straight ahead, for the whole walk?

Anth0ny

15 hours in, I'm still having trouble killing deku babas and hitting stalfos'.

My horizontal swipes register as diagonal swipes at times. Vertical swipes are fine. Fucking forward thrust is unresponsive as shit, usually happening a full second after I do the motion. And sometimes I get a vertical spin attack (?) instead. Really, really annoying.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You can do the "lay it flat" calibration by simply taking out your batteries or disconnecting the motion plus really quick.

Pumpkin quest? It's very easy actually. When the pumpkins start to hover left, you sidestep left; when they start to hover right, you sidestep right. Just keep facing the direction of the storehouse and take it slow (except if you are just a few steps away from the goal)

My horizontal swipes register as diagonal swipes at times. Vertical swipes are fine. Fucking forward thrust is unresponsive as shit, usually happening a full second after I do the motion. And sometimes I get a forward spin attack (?) instead. Really, really annoying.

That move can only be done by moving the Nunchuk and Wii Remote upwards/downwards at the same time... So I don't know how you can achieve that when all you're trying to do is simple horizontal/vertical/thrusting slice unless you move them in an exaggerating manner.

jackdoe

My horizontal swipes register as diagonal swipes at times. Vertical swipes are fine. Fucking forward thrust is unresponsive as shit, usually happening a full second after I do the motion. And sometimes I get a forward spin attack (?) instead. Really, really annoying.
Even being deliberate and slow doesn't help motion plus register that movement.

Maybe it's just because of the hours I put into Sports Resort that I feel like any one who's trying to whizz the remote around like a fapping monkey is asking for their own frustration.

A person's inability to follow the 'lay it flat' instruction the first time is either a pre-schooler or illiterate and probably wouldn't enjoy the game that much anyway. Unless you mean the hardware screws up the calibration, I don't see how any person with an IQ over 0 who can read could muck that calibration up?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

It requires complete patience on your part. Link can only face forwards. I had to walk as slowly as possible. Whenever pumpkins started leaning, I had to cease forward movement and correct the stack. It takes a few minutes to get to the shed. Luckily, you only have to do it once.

guek

Banned

My horizontal swipes register as diagonal swipes at times. Vertical swipes are fine. Fucking forward thrust is unresponsive as shit, usually happening a full second after I do the motion. And sometimes I get a vertical spin attack (?) instead. Really, really annoying.

I dunno man. Everything works like butter for me.

I'm pretty sure you can at one of the menu screens, right by the option to turn the hud on or off

Kthreev

Wow this looks absolutely awful on my 37" LCD TV. Insane jaggies all over. Which I don't understand at all because Super Mario Galaxy looked incredible. Anyone have any ideas? Using component cables and 480p.

jackdoe

Maybe it's just because of the hours I put into Sports Resort that I feel like any one who's trying to whizz the remote around like a fapping monkey is asking for their own frustration.

A person's inability to follow the 'lay it flat' instruction the first time is either a pre-schooler or illiterate and probably wouldn't enjoy the game that much anyway. Unless you mean the hardware screws up the calibration, I don't see how any person with an IQ over 0 who can read could muck that calibration up?
You lay it flat with the strap attached and accidentally shift it ever so slightly to the right or left resulting in some funky results?

Also, this is my first game with Motion Plus, so I'm assuming it's the same for most of the people having issues.

guek

Banned
Wow this looks absolutely awful on my 37" LCD TV. Insane jaggies all over. Which I don't understand at all because Super Mario Galaxy looked incredible. Anyone have any ideas? Using component cables and 480p.

Not sure. You might just have a mediocre scaler? It looked fugly on my 40" until I tinkered with it a bit. Looks much better, but you're always going to have those jaggies.

RaidenZR

Pumpkin quest? It's very easy actually. When the pumpkins start to hover left, you sidestep left; when they start to hover right, you sidestep right. Just keep facing the direction of the storehouse and take it slow (except if you are just a few steps away from the goal)

Took me 30 tries but I did it. Argghhh, very frustrating challenge. And the more you're asked to do it the more impatient you become.

Darkman M

combat is incredibly fun, and im about to enter the first dungeon

love this game, goddamn

dont worry, youll get used to them and love them. the first 15-20 mins will be annoying though i wont lie

I hope so, other then that and the tutorials im liking what im seeing.

You lay it flat with the strap attached and accidentally shift it ever so slightly to the right or left resulting in some funky results?

Again maybe it comes with experience from my
illiterate
mother, but I always make sure the straps off and no one's close to touching it when it's re-calibrating.

Also, this is my first game with Motion Plus, so I'm assuming it's the same for most of the people having issues.

I think that would be a fair assumption, now that you say that.

Insaniac

4 hours in, just about to head to the volcano. I'm loving this. Its probably part nostalgia but the charm in a Zelda game always gets to me.

Combat feels amazing so far. Only problem is lack of free camera, which is a minor nuisance, and after playing hundreds of hours of Monster Hunter I'm used to using the D-pad to adjust my view.

People get too bent out of shape over the intro/tutorial. You gotta savor the game until you get to the meat of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it all until I reached faron woods at which point I thought "Oh wait, all that was the tutorial?"

biggest gripe i had actually was vs Giraihim(?) for the first time, i got so into the fight the nunchuck cable was flying all over and whacking me in the face and getting tangled in my arm.

Effect

First dungeon question.
What happens if you can't beat Ghirahim
. Does the game adjust the difficulty? I got through things pretty well but took a lot longer then I expected. Worried if this this could be road block for some players, especially those playing the game but not used to this type of game. For example those got into gaming or back into it via Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros, and then/are bridged themselves up to other games like Skyward Sword. Unless I'm missing something that does takes place.

Heading back to Skyloft after that section and I'm about to clock 7 hours.

Hmm. Maybe that fight is easier then I thought. Just thinking about the fight now. Are you suppose to hit those red things he fires and not dodge them? Do they get sent back at him?

Anth0ny

First dungeon question.
What happens if you can't beat Ghirahim
. Does the game adjust the difficulty? I got through things pretty well but took a lot longer then I expected. Worried if this this could be road block for some players, especially those playing the game but not used to this type of game. For example those got into gaming or back into it via Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros, and then/are bridged themselves up to other games like Skyward Sword. Unless I'm missing something that does takes place.

Heading back to Skyloft after that section and I'm about to clock 7 hours.

Hey.

Don't give them any ideas.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've been playing for five hours and I still haven't reached the first dungeon, mainly because I was dicking around in Skyloft and the vicinity and even doing some sidequesting.

The supporting cast reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy when Final Fantasy tried to do colourful townsfolk. And regarding the dense overworld, I think it's a matter of perspecting. Faron Woods has everything the overworlds of years past used to have, and more. Just because it is a self-contained zone doesn't make it less Zelda.

Pretty awesome game so far. Animation is superb. The textures on the ropes and vines look like something out of the N64 era though.

Medalion

Banned
I finally got to my first battle with Ghirahim... fuck this guy is tough to figure out

Hard enough to get him to stop catching my sword, but once you hit him enough times, he starts getting serious and I can't figure out how to avoid his charging and wide sword swipe... I am dying man lol

so fun

Insaniac

I finally got to my first battle with Ghirahim... fuck this guy is tough to figure out

Hard enough to get him to stop catching my sword, but once you hit him enough times, he starts getting serious and I can't figure out how to avoid his charging and wide sword swipe... I am dying man lol

so fun

tips:
for the first part, don't swing, just watch his hand, and the position of your sword, if you're gonna swing your sword into his fingers, he'll catch it, but some times his hand will be the opposite side of your sword swing and that'll be your time to strike. When he draws his sword, his charging attack I find is easy to counter with a spin attack, then let loose on him.

Pachinko

Well I've spent nearly 6 hours with this game today and all I accomplished was clearing the first dungeon. Already I'm actually seeing WHY it was getting a handful of "less then perfect" scores. The first fight with Girahmen alone is enough to make the average player throw their wii mote through their television. How is it a company and a series so adamant about handholding , especially in the opening areas can drop the ball so hard here ? The first half of that fight was easy enough to figure out and ends quickly, it's the second part that ends up a frustrating mess. The Dash attack that he does to you seems to hit for no rhyme or reason whether you dodge or not , regardless of which direction his sword is facing before hand. I think I must have died on him 3 times before I simply got lucky and managed to nail each dodge and counterattack, spin attacking after his teleports. I just flat out wasn't having fun , even when I DID finally beat him (taking only a couple hearts in damage on that 4th attempt) there was satisfaction in knowing that I wouldn't have to do that specific fight ever again. That's a problem for a "timeless classic". If I play through the opening act of your game and I leave pissed off because of a 5 minute segment out of 6 hours of playtime it needed more work. Perhaps the game could have dropped better hints upon taking damage ? See I THINK the way it was supposed to work is that Girahmen will show you for a second which defense stance he is going to take after teleporting and then you proceed to ready yourself to break that defence, then you roll in the opposite direction of where his sword is hanging out while he's doing a dash attack. I say I THINK that was the intended strategy but half the time I'd do what the game seemed to require of me my attacks would get parried or his dash strike would hit me and in the meantime I just get more and more frustrated.

As well , due to required thrusting attack , fighting skulltulas prooved to be a pain, 90% of the time I'd do a thrusting motion it simply wouldn't register at all and in the heat of the moment with a giant spider wobbling around threatening you with massive damage (seriously you may start with 6 hearts but hearts in this game are more like half hearts compared to older zeldas) it gets a bit annoying when the thing you need to do to kill the enemy doesn't work properly. Another thing that annoyed me was the eyeballs, the "spin your sword in a circle motion" is a neat idea given the motion + but it falls flat on execution since spinning your hand around doesn't register fully about 50% of the time. Or , worse you end up going a bit to fast and slash instead so guess what , start over ! yay! .

The thing is though, Those are 3 very specific things I listed and outside of that I've been enjoying it so far , it's mostly a learning curve of doing things fully with tilt and gyro sensors that simply takes a bit of getting used to. I just feel as though , everything else I've done in the game was well explained and well, easy to do to. I realize the game can't just give you a non stop barrage of help but a little more control assistance would have been nice at those times I got frustrated.

Basically, I expect to get frustrated in games occasionally but it's 2011 and this is a AAA nintendo product, I just kind of expected a little more. A recent example of a good decision by them - mario 3ds giving the player a gold leaf if you die 10 times or whatever in a single stage. That's brilliant design because typically I've lost patience about the same time that leaf appears and it's also optional, if I just feel like "fuck this I just want to try the next level" well I can.

Hopefully my issues with the game lessen once I come to terms with utilizing the required motions better.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are you tilting the Wiimote? If so, then don't. Aim it left to right to balance.

What? O_O

Put the remote on the standing position/stance and just move it accordingly to balance Link while pushing the control stick forward. The game is pretty clear about this.

Are you saying that people tilting or aiming the remote while doing the tight rope??

*Scratches head* I just don't see how Ghirahim fight is a 'frustrating mess'. It's very precise for me... he's charging from the left side, swing left to right... charging from your right side, swing right to left. It takes a while to figure it out but you can literally strike him before he even had the chance to move his sword to hurt Link. It's just... *scratches head*..., I think people are really thrown off the loop with its apparent difficulty and thus they are for some reason feeling more inclined to complain seeing that the game is 'unfair' to them or what-have-you... It seems like Nintendo is stuck in a damn if you do damn if you don't dilemma here by upping the boss difficulty in this game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Going to get the game tomorrow after class?

What's everyone's opinions on the new races in the game? I'm kind of excited to see how well they're integrated into the series. Better than the Anouki?

Medalion

Banned
I NOW understand what that poster was saying he's gonna have stronger arm after playing this game

My arm was getting exhausted from swiping like crazy and it was all because of Ghirahim

You're not supposed to dodge the dash attack.

You just hit him. He's a bull, you're a red flag. He's vulnerable during it, assuming you don't miss.

This is totally not rocket science.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gotta say, fuck dowsing. I've decided to ignore it and the game becomes an actual adventure/exploration piece without that hand-holding.

I've had no problems with combat so far. There's a learning curve, but every time I've fucked up (which, admittedly, hasn't been that much) it has been due to my own ineptitude.

Also, that puzzle to
break your Loftwing out from Groose's trap
? That was so ingenuous in how it makes you use old-Zelda logic at first. The moment you actually figure it out (motion controls, duh) makes you feel stupid and genius at the same time.
Going to get the game tomorrow after class?

What's everyone's opinions on the new races in the game? I'm kind of excited to see how well they're integrated into the series. Better than the Anouki?
The Kikwis are AWESOME and they look like something out from a Ghibli film, Totoro specifically.

Insaniac

Are people seriously having this many problems with Giraihim? I only lost 3 hearts vs him the first time through.

Edit:

To regulus: yeah about
breaking the bird out, I was like, okay lets chop the wooden barriers. Okay nope. Okay lets pick up these barrels and throw it at it. Okay nope. Ummm.... OHHHH!!

Serious, non-troll question.

Something is very wrong with the way this game looks on my Wii. These visual problems generally only become apparent in darker areas in the game where lighting is lower, most especially dungeons. And it becomes most obvious when I allow a wall, floor or other surface to take up the majority of the screen.

Textures/surfaces look incredibly cloudy and muddied up. The visuals suffer from what looks like a compressed 240 YouTube video or something. Worse than that, I get visible vertical lines all across the screen, again, more readily apparent on darker parts of the overall image. They're greyish black and aren't tied to particular objects in the game, but are almost overlaid on top of the entire image.

I apologize for the confusing description. I just don't know the correct terminology to describe what I'm seeing. When I play next, I'll take photos to capture the issue.

It seriously mars the overall display. I know this can't be what the game is supposed to look like. I've never encountered this issue with other Wii titles, including Galaxy and Xenoblade.

I get the same issues on both my SD and HDTV's, multiple Wii's too. And lots of other people are reporting this issue as well. I'm under the impression that's just how the game is on the Wii, nothing can be done except adjusting your TV setting to minimize the annoyance. It's unfortunate...

Edit: ... definitely not an isolated case, not system specific, seems to be TV SPECIFIC!

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/206926385/p1/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well I've spent nearly 6 hours with this game today and all I accomplished was clearing the first dungeon. Already I'm actually seeing WHY it was getting a handful of "less then perfect" scores. The first fight with Girahmen alone is enough to make the average player throw their wii mote through their television. How is it a company and a series so adamant about handholding , especially in the opening areas can drop the ball so hard here ? The first half of that fight was easy enough to figure out and ends quickly, it's the second part that ends up a frustrating mess. The Dash attack that he does to you seems to hit for no rhyme or reason whether you dodge or not , regardless of which direction his sword is facing before hand. I think I must have died on him 3 times before I simply got lucky and managed to nail each dodge and counterattack, spin attacking after his teleports. I just flat out wasn't having fun , even when I DID finally beat him (taking only a couple hearts in damage on that 4th attempt) there was satisfaction in knowing that I wouldn't have to do that specific fight ever again. That's a problem for a "timeless classic". If I play through the opening act of your game and I leave pissed off because of a 5 minute segment out of 6 hours of playtime it needed more work. Perhaps the game could have dropped better hints upon taking damage ? See I THINK the way it was supposed to work is that Girahmen will show you for a second which defense stance he is going to take after teleporting and then you proceed to ready yourself to break that defence, then you roll in the opposite direction of where his sword is hanging out while he's doing a dash attack. I say I THINK that was the intended strategy but half the time I'd do what the game seemed to require of me my attacks would get parried or his dash strike would hit me and in the meantime I just get more and more frustrated.

Yeah, Nintendo's fault you just attacked and didn't use your shield bash which blocks the charge perfectly every time, as well as deflects the projectiles.

Spin attack not working when he teleports? Once again, must be Nintendo's faults since spin attack is of course the only attack you could use. Not like you can turn arround, z target and swing to match his stance.....

Seriously, just because what you try to attack with doesn't work, does not make it the games fault. It means you're supposed to be using a different attack..

Effect

Damn. I knew things were suppose to be easier. I think I made that entire event harder on myself. Ugh. Oh well it's behind me now.

Which is strange as I was doing a lot of what was suggest in normal fights. Perhaps because it was so late I wasn't thinking straight....yeah I'm going to go with that. :)

boiled goose

good with gravy
First 30 min impressions:

The good:
-The Music OMG. amazing so far.
-Incredibly charming, feels magical at times.

The Bad:
-Los res textures (& yeah yeah lack of HD, feel it affects this more than SMG on my tv)
-some control quirks. Nintendo clearly pushing M+. too bad they prioritize this rather than giving the best control options. Gyros to look around instead of pointer? :/ Gyro for file select? cmon. as good as the combat and flight controls might be, they are still not perfect. no camera control feels restrictive.
-still feel first dungeon should come up faster. combat is fun. what better way to get you hooked?
-didnt think i would say this but VA could help, even with link as a silent protagonist.

Hiltz

I'm picking the game up tomorrow but won't be able to play it until probably next week at this rate. I was notified that my Wii may need a new spindle motor instead of a laser drive.

I've been trying not to spoil anything else about the game but have read several comments about the first boss battle.

For those of you who are deep into the game, is the story living up to expectations?

picked this up today, wont be playing until probably after xmas. Controller is kinda meh but needed a motion plus so it made sense to pick up the bundle

Top Bottom