• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Bruiserk

We're exactly at the same place, I have three of these pieces but I'm not sure how to reach the fourth/fifth pieces. Well, I'll find soon enough! :)

I had a lot of trouble finding the last two pieces. If you want a hint I can give it to you.

I see people saying "We're adults, we don't need tutorials anymore."

And then I see people saying "This game is terrible because the boss charges at me and there is literally nothing I can do."

And part of me laughs.

Medalion

Banned
Someone wasn't shitting around when they said it literally took hours from start to get to your first dungeon... so many movies... I mean it's all good and well because this is my first time through but if I played from scratch again I'd find those super annoying

Giolon

Does anybody know some good places to farm Monster Claws other than the Keeses inside the Skyview Temple?

I'm constantly short for upgrading my equipment :(

And then I see people saying "This game is terrible because the boss charges at me and there is literally nothing I can do."

And part of me laughs.

There's always going to be people who don't get fundamental gameplay elements, no matter how many tutorials you do.

I do think, in general, they beat you over the head with hints in Zelda games. Even the fact when you go to the Bazaar and speak to someone at the shops they explain EVERY SINGLE TIME what they do there is an example of parts of the game that could be streamlined. Of course, the tutorials at the start of the game before you even get into a dungeon could also be significantly reduced, too.

Zelda really isn't that hard of a game, a lot of these things should be optional.

hyduK

Banned

And part of me laughs.

I've yet to encounter an enemy/puzzle that got me stuck, but that being said the tutorial doesn't exactly show you anything advanced, which is part of the problem. It really just keeps exploring the same 5 or so basic concepts. The fact that Fi will forcefully repeat some stuff 3-4 times really shows what Nintendo thinks about there userbase. "Hey, you should go heal", "You might need some pots/hearts/etc soon", "Hey, I noticed your low on health", "Hey did you know you can warp back to town and get some healing items, I sense that these enemies might be dangerous".

They could have at least included an option for people that aren't retarded to keep Fi from feeding you that nonsense.

I mean, people called Navi annoying. But Ocarina of Time was probably 15-20 minutes before you hit the first dungeon, and I never felt like I didn't get the direction I needed in that game.

Medalion

Banned
Fi talks too much when I don't want her to, and not enough when I want her to

But at least she doesn't go HEY! LISTEN!!!

Oh and intro movie... Loftwing is watching you masturbate lmao

Here's a great video on game design back in the day versus game design today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

I've seen the Egorapter video. And you know what game is a far better target for that? Sonic Generations.

But I'd argue that Zelda does try to teach you by doing a lot. The first few enemies you fight don't really block. When you knock away a bat, you see it go flying in the direction you swung. You realize the height differences of sword strikes when fighting small slimes. You can't kill the killer kitten, but you learn about comboing enemies without Fi needing to tell you that you can repeatedly slash an enemy in quick succession.

You work your way up to enemies that block. All the game really teaches you before that is that slashes have directions.

guek

Banned
Final Fantasy II fucking put you inside a non-winnable battle.
An early portion of the game where you don't have complete control over the resulting outcome of your actions? Isn't that an intro?

Also Zelda never truly was a RPG.

Meh. Zelda is weird. It's an action game, sure, but it's also very much a puzzle game. I don't think there's much else out there like it.

EDarkness

I tried to read those comments, but after the first few all I could do was shake my head. Damn, the hate is strong. It's sad in a way.

Either way, I should have my copy by the end of the week. I look forward to giving it a try. I've been on blackout for months now, so I'm going into the game with no knowledge about anything. Should be fun.

Bruiserk

I'm all ears, shoot! :)

I've wasted a lot of time searching and it's getting late here too, but I want to continue! D:

Ever find a cave that reminded you of the OOT volcano (where you needed the red tunic to not get burned)? Go back there.

Medalion

Banned
Skyloft is insane... they let any random person just sleep in their homes, but they still have a problem with you looking through their closets without permission

Fuck you, I'm taking this baseball bat

Thoraxes

I think just due to how much the controls have changed the mechanics of things, I didn't mind the hand-holding for the tutorial sections. I payed attention to them pretty well, and I don't have any problems controlling anything. Some stuff moves pretty different, and I think without it I would've been screwed or frustrated in many sections.

Also sure, Fi tells you to dowse a lot, but you can ignore her like I did starting at the
Volcano
. Also, it takes like what, pressing and holding down A after text has started to make it go even faster? I think it's funny how everyone complains about a lack of voice acting when the text still moves faster than spoken word even without pressing A to speed it up, but still complains about the text speed. It's weird.

Also the boss in the
second
temple was really fun, and totally different from a lot of the bosses from the past. It was fun and interesting, and though I didn't die, it definitely beat my ass into playing and using my equipment strategically.

Xane

Holy shit holy shit holy shit.

(Pre-dungeon 5 stuff)
So I was doing the spirit realm thing, and I only had one tear left. Got a fruit, looked around, saw it on the top of the Laynaryu Mine building thing. So I start to make my way over there when I accidentally run into a ghost. So now I have to run all the way up this building being chased by guardians. I somehow made it to the top and had 4 of them practically on top of me when I managed to get it. I have no idea how I managed that, but it was intense. Seriously, those guardians are fucking terrifying.

The EXACT SAME THING happened to me in my first playthrough, lol!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ah, Best Buy gotcha, eh? Insignias can actually look really nice, but some of em are definitely mediocre tvs.

Nah, Future Shop (which is pretty much the same thing anyway). It's weird though that it does this only with Skyward Sword. All my other games (on Wii or PS3), no problem.

Medalion

Banned
The music is very good in this game... other than the original Skyloft theme, there are very subtle hints of some other Zelda music intertwined with new or different melodies in bits and pieces here, loving it

Like I've found in the Lumpy Pumpkin saloon or whatever it's called... exploring the sky overworld islands ftw

Xane

Regarding Dusk Relics....

Can you get back into the shadow realm to collect them? I've already done all three flames and I'm one short to do some upgrades
You can, but only near the end of the game, from the same NPC you get to play the Boss Rush Mode, you can replay any Silent Realm trial.
He is
the Thunder Dragon in Lanayru Gorge

Koodo

Banned
I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to the sword fights, even though they're similar in execution to Wii Sports Resort (that one clicked with me flawlessly). I guess this game requires broader strokes?

Everything else is great so far (though the game did take a while to get going). I just finished the first dungeon. I was loling at how Bokoblins are terrified of the flying insect item.

snesfreak

Banned
Gonna have to buy more batteries, again.
The ones in my wiimote now are dead and I know I'll go through the ones that come with the bundle tomorrow LONG before I stop playing.
Ugh, the wait for UPS to get here is gonna be awful.

Thoraxes

I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to the sword fights, even though they're similar in execution to Wii Sports Resort (that one clicked with me flawlessly). I guess this game requires broader strokes?
I've been playing it with mostly wrist movement, and like 45-degree angle forearm movement.

Sober

Wow, only past the first dungeon right now. First phase of Ghirham for me took me 10 minutes cause he kept catching my sword. But then I died and I realized you should need to telegraph where you want and then swing in the opposite direction (bait him to the right then do a left->right swing). It probably doesn't even matter if you swing into his open palm since I did that a few times successfully.

The charge was annoying since I didn't know you could just him hit before he hits you. Other than that the parts where he grabs your sword is more fapping motion in that fight than expected really.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I heard that SW bosses were supposed to be easier than other games ones.
Is that true? I just fought Girahim and it was pretty cool.

Twilight Princess' bosses, for example, were nothing compared to the one featured here. I actually came pretty close to losing a few times and on a particular fight I even got greeted with a game over screen... two times :eek:

I've been playing it with mostly wrist movement, and like 45-degree angle forearm movement.

Yes the movements really do not require broad strokes. Playing with your wrists alone is actually sufficient to perform most if not all motion-related movements in this game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
On my way to work, have only slept 4 hours. This game is dangerous if you have a job, so hard to put down.

guek

Banned
Nah, Future Shop (which is pretty much the same thing anyway). It's weird though that it does this only with Skyward Sword. All my other games (on Wii or PS3), no problem.

That sucks. I thought it looked...weird on my screen too, but I eventually got it to look alright (or I just got used to it)

Twilight Princess' bosses, for example, were nothing compared to the one featured here. I actually came pretty close to losing a few times and on a particular fight I even got greeted with a game over screen... two times :eek:

Damn, I just remember good things of Twilight Princess. One of my favourite games ever...dat atmosphere.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got to the second area, around 8ish hours. Really good first boss, and I thought the dungeon was fine. Having some issues with the beetle flying, though. I think I'm still just confused on how motion+ in general works...so it doesn't use the sensor bar at all? I'm not sure sometimes relative to where I'm sitting as to how the game is actually registering my input. Aiming with the slingshot worked shockingly well no matter where I was, which is great.

Koodo

Banned

Yes the movements really do not require broad strokes. Playing with your wrists alone is actually sufficient to perform all the motion-related movements.
My mind is probably still too attuned to the WSR style then. I did improve a lot in the few hours I've played so far, so I should be good with an extra session or two.

Thoraxes

Just got to the second area, around 8ish hours. Really good first boss, and I thought the dungeon was fine. Having some issues with the beetle flying, though. I think I'm still just confused on how motion+ in general works...so it doesn't use the sensor bar at all? I'm not sure sometimes relative to where I'm sitting as to how the game is actually registering my input. Aiming with the slingshot worked shockingly well no matter where I was, which is great.
When you use the beetle, try holding your wiimote kind of like a paper airplane and steer it that way. Just think if your wiimote flat as having an X Y and Z axis, and your movement within that range affects what you do.

My mind is probably still too attuned to the WSR style then. I did improve a lot in the few hours I've played so far, so I should be good with an extra session or two.
Ah yeah, that makes sense.

Think of it like a 3D mouse.

Lingitiz

About 10 hours in, just entered the third dungeon. I really liked the overworld section right before it. They're packed with great puzzles and exploration, and are a nice warmup before having to head into the standard room based dungeons. So far the game is amazing. The story keeps you going to see what's next, the environments are enjoyable, the puzzles are addictive, and the combat is far more interesting than any game i've played this year thanks to the motion controls.

Zekes!

Something I realized during the first boss fight (Ghirham) that I thought I'd share: During the first phase where follows your sword around with his hand, if you're patient and wait a few seconds, he'll "lock" his hand in place, and then you can hit him from a different direction.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, so sorry if old!

Something I realized during the first boss fight (Ghirham) that I thought I'd share: During the first phase where follows your sword around with his hand, if you're patient and wait a few seconds, he'll "lock" his hand in place, and then you can hit him from a different direction.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, so sorry if old!

Well, I actually passed that part trying to hit him like a mad man, lol.

Top Bottom