• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

AniHawk

just made it through the first dungeon. i'm about five hours in, but it feels like twenty.

and holy fucking hell was i ever spot-on about the vine swinging and tightrope walking. pure liquid awful.

just made it through the first dungeon. i'm about five hours in, but it feels like twenty.

and holy fucking hell was i ever spot-on about the vine swinging and tightrope walking. pure liquid awful.

The tightrope walking is much, much worse than the swinging, in my opinion. They're both painful and unnecessary, though.

zoukka

What settings are you using, if I may ask? I'm really not happy about the possibility of re-setting up my CRT.

IIRC every filter off, contrast about 30, colour about 40, sharpness 5 (aka OFF), colour balance normal.

Not sure if I remember those correctly. Are your Wii settings surely 480p?

Haunted

Vine swinging is about as simple as it gets since you actually control it with the anologue stick, but tightrope walking is awful.

CoolS

The tightrope walking is much, much worse than the swinging, in my opinion. They're both painful and unnecessary, though.

I thought tightrope walking was a non issue, you just steadily swing the wiimote a little from left to right. I didn't really like the swinging though, maybe because I jumped to my doom like 10 times..

IIRC every filter off, contrast about 30, colour about 40, sharpness 5 (aka OFF), colour balance normal.

Not sure if I remember those correctly. Are your Wii settings surely 480p?

Thanks, I'll try these.

Yeah, my Wii is definitely set to HD/EDTV 480p in the options. It looked bad on my other LCD HDTV, so I was holding out hope for this one. Hopefully it's just a settings issue.

Thanks again.

It's alright, definitely feels unnecessary though. I had problems with the tightrope walking at first because I was pointing my wiimote to my TV and tilting instead of pointing it upwards to the roof.

Vine swinging is about as simple as it gets since you actually control it with the anologue stick, but tightrope walking is awful.
Oh well it can't be all perfect afterall. At least it's not a major thing(unless there's a huge amount of vine swinning and tightrope in the game). And I think we all anticipated that those mechanics would be lame just from demos etc.

watershed

Banned
Does pressing A while on a tightrope make Link fall down and grab the rope? The only problem I'm having is when I want to quickly hang in order to shake the line and I just end up moving the controller really fast to make Link lose his balance.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm liking the game, but I would like it a lot more if I didn't feel like I was fighting the controls all the time. It really does some weird stuff... the thing that annoys me most is the map screen pointer goes off center ALL THE TIME. It's like every time I want to look at my map I can't get over that the pointer is way over to the right or left when it should be in the center because I haven't moved my hand since the last time I checked the map...

Also, it's really hard to get used to the fact that whenever you enter aiming mode, the game takes wherever you were pointing before you started aiming as center, so if I am lazy pointing my wii remote downward and enter aiming mode, lets say I want to aim up just a little, so I point my wii remote upward but then I'm looking at the sky, because I forgot my wii remote was pointing down to start.
That's because you're not supposed to be (necessarily) aiming at the screen. It works more like a mouse, you move the pointer in a certain direction from the neutral position and your aim moves accordingly, regardless of where your TV is located.
It takes a bit to get used to it, after using the IR pointer for so long, but it works quite well once you do.

I think the sleeping thing was just you, it's not required for the deed... also, lol @ breaking everything in the house but it's okay...
I wasn't serious.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning GAF! I was dreaming of running into electricity all the fucking time... what?

JimboJones

I thought tightrope walking was a non issue, you just steadily swing the wiimote a little from left to right. I didn't really like the swinging though, maybe because I jumped to my doom like 10 times..

Yeah, as soon as yoy get on the rope I start moving left, right, left, right, left, right, etc as you walk across, if your actually trying to balance Link as in keeping it straight up and then moving left/right as he loses balance it's much harder.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning GAF! I was in real life running into SS covers everywhere in the fucking city... Why can't this be a dream?
Wait, what?! You don't have the game yet ._.?

Oh my fucki....

Well sir, hats off for you! I don't know how you're gonna make it :(
Yeah it's pretty stupid as my reason was because of money, yet a lot of stores here in Copenhagen are selling the game at 50% already... Never again.

How are you progressing btw, is everything 110% as good as you expected?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks, I'll try these.

Yeah, my Wii is definitely set to HD/EDTV 480p in the options. It looked bad on my other LCD HDTV, so I was holding out hope for this one. Hopefully it's just a settings issue.

Thanks again.

I have an ST30 too and it looks pretty crappy here as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wait, what's the issue with vine swinging? You just angle Link with the analog stick then flick the wiimote to start swinging to the direction he's set, you pretty much can't mess it up. I mean, I guess there's no reason to require a flick instead of just pressing a button to get momentum but it works, is unobtrusive and, again, you just can't mess it up. Rope walking I had no issues either after I got the hang of it but I guess you could consider it unecessary at worst, and it's something you can fail at first.

jonno394

Part way through the fourth dungeon. That
four-armed stalfos
fight was immense. I noticed the extra
weapons on his back
and knew it would be an awesome dual. Best fight yet if you ask me, taking two or three hearts off you per lunge/combo if you are bad enough!!

Yoshichan

How are you progressing btw, is everything 110% as good as you expected?
I'm probably going to get hated on because everything I've said in this thread has been me praising this game to the skies. And it's just that fucking good. I really feel that I need to convince anyone who didn't play the game because of the lower reviews because for me, SS is the best Zelda game of all time. The first 30 hours were good as hell. Like, REALLY good. But after that, it turns into MAGIC. Like, the Wii starts spitting out magic dust and the game-disc becomes an holy grail.

Ghirahim is officially the best villain of this year and quite possibly one of my favorite villains of all time. This is exactly what Zelda needed, a character with more personality than every other Zelda-game combined. Oh and did I mention the music? 45 hours in and I'm still getting goosebumps when I fight a new boss, enter a new dungeon or the SS theme starts playing. Dungeon design is out of this world sometimes. For me, it's superior than TP dungeon design. And I know TP had good design but SS is simply put better. In fact: everything with SS is better than TP. Except for Fi. While I like Fi, she's nowhere near as cool and cute and Midna - but that's okay!

I love this game so much. Everyone should be playing it right now. And although there are some things I should nitpick about (slight dumb game-design choices in a couple of dungeons and Fi interrupting me pretty much every 2 minutes), these flaws are not worthy of lowering the score of this masterpiece.

That's right. I just said the word masterpiece.

edit: did that answer your question XD?!

MikeTyson

Banned
Only just not got to the Faron Woods lol can already tell I will hate this game. My dad who is a big time Zelda fan or was, thought it was a joke, whole cute Zelda anime feel school bully intro thing, and replacing Epona with a dumb bird on top of the annoying controls.

Yoshichan

Only just not got to the Faron Woods lol can already tell I will hate this game. My dad who is a big time Zelda fan or was, thought it was a joke, whole cute Zelda anime feel school bully intro thing, and replacing Epona with a dumb bird on top of the annoying controls.
Twilight Princess is dumb until you start running with Midna on your back, 10 hours into the game.
Ocarina of Time is dumb until you actually start throwing bombs into Dodongos mouth; that's also 10 hours in.
Wind Waker is dumb until... well, it's just dumb.

Keep playing the game.

Sinthetic

I'm probably going to get hated on because everything I've said in this thread has been me praising this game to the skies. And it's just that fucking good. I really feel that I need to convince anyone who didn't play the game because of the lower reviews because for me, SS is the best Zelda game of all time. The first 30 hours were good as hell. Like, REALLY good. But after that, it turns into MAGIC. Like, the Wii starts spitting out magic dust and the game-disc becomes an holy grail.

Ghirahim is officially the best villain of this year and quite possibly one of my favorite villains of all time. This is exactly what Zelda needed, a character with more personality than every other Zelda-game combined. Oh and did I mention the music? 45 hours in and I'm still getting goosebumps when I fight a new boss, enter a new dungeon or the SS theme starts playing. Dungeon design is out of this world sometimes. For me, it's superior than TP dungeon design. And I know TP had good design but SS is simply put better. In fact: everything with SS is better than TP. Except for Fi. While I like Fi, she's nowhere near as cool and cute and Midna - but that's okay!

I love this game so much. Everyone should be playing it right now. And although there are some things I should nitpick about (slight dumb game-design choices in a couple of dungeons and Fi interrupting me pretty much every 2 minutes), these flaws are not worthy of lowering the score of this masterpiece.

That's right. I just said the word masterpiece.

I'm happy to read this, it's already magic and I'm not even in the first dungeon yet.

And although there are some things I should nitpick about (slight dumb game-design choices in a couple of dungeons and Fi interrupting me pretty much every 2 minutes), these flaws are not worthy of lowering the score of this masterpiece.

Yeah nice post :p And of course besides wether you will like the overall design or not, it says a lot about the game that a lot of the flaws being mentioned are mainly just nitpicking. Of course they will stand out even more since the rest of the game is so wellcrafted. Luckily I'm also the kind of player who either forget or ignore those minor flaws.

jonno394

Seeing as Epona has only been in three games I wouldn't really class her as a stalwart that can be replaced.

Anyway, if I was to compare Skyward Swords feel to any other game, the segments below the sky really bring back memories of Zelda I for me, just you exploring the areas, fighting a ton of enemies, finding dungeons etc.

Yoshichan

Yeah nice post :p And of course besides wether you will like the overall design or not, it says a lot about the game that a lot of the flaws being mentioned are mainly just nitpicking. Of course they will stand out even more since the rest of the game is so wellcrafted. Luckily I'm also the kind of player who either forget or ignore those minor flaws.
Yeah and I mean, I hate nitpicking on stuff that isn't the games' fault. A good example here is bomb-bowling. While it seems that 99% of GAF hates how bomb-bowling works, for me it feels that GAF's just being lazy as fuck because bowling works flawlessly if you're doing it the way it's meant to be done! Stop being lazy and turn your wrist as if you'd be playing Wii Sports Bowling. If everyone stops being lazy, every single mechanic in the game will work flawlessly - and that's how the game is supposed to be played.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
generally I'm 'meh' about the graphics - neither impressive or that terrible, they're just 'wii'.

but sometimes - like when that weird black toothy thing attacks Link in his dream - the direction of the scene and subtle use of DoF makes me dribble, thinking what Nintendo will do on the wiiU.

JimboJones

How can you not like the flying transportation? It's like the most fun and effortless mode of transport they have come up with in a zelda game.

Jumping off and skydiving is also so fucking cool.

Rich!

generally I'm 'meh' about the graphics - neither impressive or that terrible, they're just 'wii'.

but sometimes - like when that weird black toothy thing attacks Link in his dream - the direction of the scene and subtle use of DoF makes me dribble, thinking what Nintendo will do on the wiiU.

just wait until you see the final boss

big_z

Well, damn.

I got my brand new 42" ST30 Panasonic Plasma all set up, connected the component cables, switched to game mode annnnnd... it looks awful. Link is unrecognizable, it's difficult to make out a door versus a splotch on the wall, and there are noticeable vertical lines whenever I'm in a darker area. I spent a solid hour fiddling with the settings, set sharpness to 0, and it doesn't look any better.

Putting the Wii and TV in 4:3 mode helps a tiny bit, but man is it weird to be playing a letterboxed game inside of a bigger TV. If I can't solve this, I may just have to hook up my CRT again to play my Wii.

The game is wonderful, though.

this is normal i have a panasonic plasma as well and wii looks like shit on it. the wii outputs very crappy video quality, far worse than gamecube and when it gets upscaled by the tv things just get worse. the picture just looks blurry and washed out with noticeable color bleed. the vertical lines in dark areas is color banding and not from a setting on the tv. wind waker and twilight princess had them as well.

there's nothing you can do to improve the image quality except use a small crt.

^^ So it's like that with most Plasma TVs then? I have a pretty old LCD Samsung 40" HDTV and have never felt like I was doing the Wii a disservice by playing on it.

^^ So it's like that with most Plasma TVs then? I have a pretty old LCD Samsung 40" HDTV and have never felt like I was doing the Wii a disservice by playing on it.

It's normal on a HDTV. The Wii resolution is 480P... Maybe you see it more clearly on your new plasma, but it's just as horrible on a new LCD.

big_z

i've tried the wii our 2006(720p), 2008 and 2009 panasonic plasmas. all top of the line for their year and the wii looks pretty bad on all of them. i played some wii on my friends 50" samsung plasma and it looks similar. maybe a bit shaper but there was noticable edge enhancement going on and i dont know what settings she was using.

i've tried the wii on 32" and 37" lcds from sony, samsung and panasonic. i thought on the 32" tvs the wii looked okay but going bigger it starts looking bad again. running the wii through a receiver might help if it has a good upscaler but i've never tried it.

imo the wii looked better with composite cables on my old 22" sony crt than on any hdtv with component cables. the system just has bad video output. someone here posted a image quality comparison of f-zero gx on gamecube and wii and the difference is huge.

EDIT: here's the picture comparison

wii: http://i40.tinypic.com/qy8ug3.jpg

gamecube: http://i43.tinypic.com/ezilc2.jpg

i've tried the wii our 2006(720p), 2008 and 2009 panasonic plasmas. all top of the line for their year and the wii looks pretty bad on all of them. i played some wii on my friends 50" samsung plasma and it looks similar. maybe a bit shaper but there was noticable edge enhancement going on and i dont know what settings she was using.

i've tried the wii on 32" and 37" lcds from sony, samsung and panasonic. i thought on the 32" tvs the wii looked okay but going bigger it starts looking bad again. running the wii through a receiver might help if it has a good upscaler but i've never tried it.

imo the wii looked better with composite cables on my old 22" sony crt than on any hdtv with component cables. the system just has bad video output. someone here posted a image quality comparison of f-zero gx on gamecube and wii and the difference is huge.

EDIT: here's the picture comparison

wii: http://i40.tinypic.com/qy8ug3.jpg

gamecube: http://i43.tinypic.com/ezilc2.jpg

I have a 22" full hd monitor, and a 32" 720P Bravia.

it's how it ranks: AOC Monitor << SD TV <<<<< Bravia.

I guess it varies case by case, but on my Bravia it's crystal clear.

Hero

Just stepped foot into the fourth dungeon. Game is amazing, pretty overwhelmed with all the stuff you can do actually. Motion controls are near perfect. Really wonder how skilled people are when they say they have issues with the controls.

Wait, what's the issue with vine swinging? You just angle Link with the analog stick then flick the wiimote to start swinging to the direction he's set, you pretty much can't mess it up. I mean, I guess there's no reason to require a flick instead of just pressing a button to get momentum but it works, is unobtrusive and, again, you just can't mess it up. Rope walking I had no issues either after I got the hang of it but I guess you could consider it unecessary at worst, and it's something you can fail at first.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue with vine swinging is, either. I flick it once going back, then again on the return, and jump.

Oh, such horror?

CassSept

You people complaining about Fi wait till batteries in your Wiimotes start running out.

Well, at least her theme is awesome, there's that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You're not supposed to dodge the dash attack.

You just hit him. He's a bull, you're a red flag. He's vulnerable during it, assuming you don't miss.

This is totally not rocket science.

Thats what I thought until like five attempts in a row to slash him while he's coming at me resulted in him hitting me anyway. So I assumed I had to dodge it somehow.

RedSwirl

Everybody's been able to play this sitting down on a couch right? I feel like I could probably play this game in the cockpit of an F-18.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I notice the aliasing in this game much more than while playing Mario Kart Wii. I guess its because the game isnt as fast and the background doesnt move constantly. Its pretty horrible on Link.

DonMigs85

Just got the game. It looks decent enough on my 32" LCD but sadly it does have the vertical line quirk that plagued WW and TP (at least on darker textures/backgrounds).

So, after 25 hours of playtime I can't resist:

The formula is beginning to show its age. There just aren't enough new ideas to separate Skyward Sword from its predecessors, and the few additions come with mixed results. Even with many bright spots, Skyward Sword still feels like a nostalgic retread. Those yearning for something new will be disappointed, but anyone thirsty for another exciting adventure will find plenty to enjoy here.

Has "Gamespot" even played the game?

JimboJones

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue with vine swinging is, either. I flick it once going back, then again on the return, and jump.

Oh, such horror?

What I kind of don't like that it takes a while for Link to come to a stand still so I can slowly rotate him and aim for the place I want to swing to.

This is a complaint going back as far as windwaker, though at least it had full camera controle only having Z targeting to move the camera into a good position for a run and jump can be annoying.

Red UFO

What I kind of don't like that it takes a while for Link to come to a stand still so I can slowly rotate him and aim for the place I want to swing to.

This is a complaint going back as far as windwaker, though at least it had full camera controle only having Z targeting to move the camera into a good position for a run and jump can be annoying.

You can rotate while swinging...
Also, if you swing in the other direction it brings you to an almost immediate stand-still.

Top Bottom