• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

VN1X

Banned
WOW I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID THIS SHOW IS AMAZING!!!

Thank you Amazon. I should've never doubted you.

pepe-the-frog-sad.gif

Konnor

Bros, I just watched these first 2 episodes and this show is HILARIOUS.

Every single line of dialogue is delivered with the gravitas of a Shakespeare play. Every single thing that happens is the most serious thing ever. Everyone looks super serious at all times about how serious everything is. Despite this, the dialogue is some of the most generic banal shit I've ever watched hammy actors look very serious while saying.

The dialogue is like an overenthusiastic 15 year old who just watched the LOTR trilogy decided to write fan fiction. I was so annoyed by it that I looked at the cast, the goddamn creators and writers of the pilot episode I watched have not done anything else. WHO THE FUCK hires literal nobodies to helm one of the most expensive and ambitious projects in an industry ever? Only Hollywood is corrupt enough to do this shit.

1 billion well spent Jeff, was half of it spent on CGI and the other half on bribing critics/hiring astroturfers or something? Because he certainly didn't spend it on the cast.

Weird show. Looks great. Some fun stuff. I enjoyed the dwarf section for example but so much bad stuff too. Bad acting. Bad dialogue and stuff so bad it's laugh out loud funny like the troll fight and Galadriel setting off for a trans atlantic swim. Hopefully Galadriel improves. ATM the actress is playing the part like a stroppy teenager who is constantly moments away from slamming every damn door in the house.

Anyway I enjoyed it. Mostly for the wrong reasons. 5/10.

FunkMiller

I think it's fair to say that in this day and age user scores should be taken way, way more seriously than critic reviews.

Well, no. For the reasons I outlined. If RT decide to instate some sort of better registration system, and a means to stop the review bombers, then I’ll start taking the user score more seriously. Until then, there’s no point. Because every show is currently a war zone between the woke idiots and the anti-woke morons. You can’t get any kind of honest idea of what the quality of a show is.

Last edited:
BTW did anyone else notice the dwarf queen had a little facial hair? Couldn't always tell but I think there were some sideburns there. Looked like it was added cgi. Maybe it was just so they could tell the critics to stfu about dwarf women and beards! I certainly didn't notice any of the female dwarfs in the crowd scene with any beards.

Konnor

Well, no. For the reasons I outlined. If RT decide to instate some sort of better registration system, and a means to stop the review bombers, then I’ll start taking the user score more seriously. Until then, there’s no point. Because every show is currently a war zone between the woke idiots and the anti-woke morons. You can’t get any kind of honest idea of what the quality of a show is.

The 10s in imdb from amazon astroturfers far outweigh the 1s right now and these sites are known to mass delete unfavorable reviews to appease corporations since they're all a clique that are owned by the same rich fucks (imdb is owned by amazon and RT owned by Warner Brothers, both should be highly illegal). If anything these scores are often manipulated towards receiving higher scores through the aforementioned censorship which is far less organic than geeks being angry that amazon is pillaging Tolkien's legacy.

But I digress, the point is that I trust a headless chicken randomly falling on a number more than critics scores nowadays for a multitude of reasons I'm sure you're aware of, at least with user reviews you have a general idea of where the tide is turning with a show, movie or game.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It's a very strange show, sometimes all the sets and costumes pay off, and at other times, the inexperience of the directors is apparent with how weird and at times, straight-up amateurish the show can be.

There is MAJOR dumb shit constantly, like the beginning where Galadriel jumps on a sword, flies over the troll, and kills it. And you can see the fucking wire motion, and all the elves the troll just bashed against the wall are completely healed 2 seconds later. Half the characters have neatly cut 2022 hairstyles.

It doesn't really come off as Lord of the Rings either, feels like a different universe. It goes from braindead to alright constantly. It's absolutely bizarre to watch.

Bragr

Banned
I do thing the VFX looked really good. They fixed that one shot of Galadriel climbing the mountain, and the Troll looked amazing. I think the VFX stuff looked good, I hope WETA has the lead.
I thought the troll looked mediocre, they hid it in the shadows as much as they could, which is always a thing artists do when the work is so-so. The troll in the first LOTR movie was better.

Hardensoul

The dialogue is bad, what’s with the opening sequence with the kids. The ship was clearly floating/sailing but oh now bully sinks it with rock and saying it didn’t float!

Then the philosophical talk with. Brother about difference with the rock and ship! Wtf!

Also, what was Galadriel wearing the huge dress that fans out on the grass like a wedding dress! How is she moving around with it! Oh right they never show her walking around with it! Smh

The score is overbearing, why does it have to be so loud and at wrong times that it drowns out the dialogue and special effect sounds, it was very distracting!

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I can't tell if you are serious.

It didn't look bad, but nothing special. It might just be that the whole sequence was comical looking.

VsMvKy3.png

eJgajEe.png

XiSB9d8.png

XgD3FWg.png
There was really no struggle, tension or sense of endangerment when Galadriel started fighting! Just very weird sequence!

Hari Seldon

Didn't get to watch it yet, but it sounds like people generally like it other than the people determined to hate it no matter what. I did read in a few of the actual legit reviews that the first two episodes were a slow burn, all setup for things to come. Fine with me.

Trogdor1123

Watched the first episode last night and thought it was really good. Some dialogue was kinda meh and the fight scene was ok and the dive was weird but on a whole for a first episode that was great

Last edited:

Alebrije

I like it , has the essence of the fantasy you expect from the Middle Earth,. Landscapes are gorgeous and visual effects in general are good.

The best of the two chapters are the dewarft kingdom an the meteore guy ...

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
That is Gandalf or something, just like I predicted.

I really hope this isn't Gandalf or any of the other Istari. That wouldn't make any sense.

The idea of him being Eönwë doesn't make any sense either. Eönwë has no place in the timeline this show is set.

Probably a new character they made up like a proto Istari of something like that.

sol_bad

That was an incredible first 2 episodes, hate having to wait another week. Show looks amazing on a 65 inch LG OLED and the sound design is amazing on my Paradigm speakers.

I'm fine with the story slowly unfolding, tension slowly building throughout episode 2.

I had no idea Gandalf would be in this, if it's him.

I have no idea why anyone would have issues with dialogue in this. I honestly have no idea what the difference is between this and the LOTR trilogy.

Why do people hate Galadrial effortlessly killing a troll but are OK with how Legolas handles his combat scenarios with ease?

Kimahri

Banned
I made the prediction and you are just a hanger on. Admit it. 😂
If that makes you feel better, it costs me nothing to give this to you.

It wad all you. You're brilliant, and your keen insight and instincts are an examplr to follow. I admire you

Blessed be the fruit.

Kacho

Gold Member
Why do people hate Galadrial effortlessly killing a troll but are OK with how Legolas handles his combat scenarios with ease?
People were not ok with Legolas and his cartoony action scenes in LotR, and especially the Hobbit.
I have no idea why anyone would have issues with dialogue in this.
Because most of the dialogue is vapid. It's one of the most heavily criticized things at the moment.

Hari Seldon

Who is OK with? It was one of to most criticized aspect of those movies. Fucking space ninja.
People were not OK with it at the time, but now people are OK with the same crap in all of the capeshit movies which is why they keep giving it to us lmao.

So when Galadriel is on that boat going to the Undying Lands is that what Gandalf was talking about in this quote?

PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.
GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.
GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”

lol maybe it was obvious but when i watched that scene that's what i was reminded of. The sky/clouds parting and seeing a faint outline of the land and a tree. We saw Frodo sail off to the Undying Lands but we never seen him getting that close. I never connected the two until now.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I was wondering why the king was sending the young elves to the grey havens as I thought they only went at the end of their age. I haven’t really thought about elves going all the time, or a political tool to remove an elf that was giving you a hard time.

Trogdor1123

So when Galadriel is on that boat going to the Undying Lands is that what Gandalf was talking about in this quote?

PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.
GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.
GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”

lol maybe it was obvious but when i watched that scene that's what i was reminded of. The sky/clouds parting and seeing a faint outline of the land and a tree. We saw Frodo sail off to the Undying Lands but we never seen him getting that close. I never connected the two until now.
I don’t think so, I was assuming this was them going across the sea to home rather full on dying. Maybe i misunderstood

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What does that even mean? Can you compare lines from this show and lines in the LOTRs trilogy and show the difference?
What do you mean? didn't you see the scenes when Galadriel had flashbacks to her wall-street yuppie-looking brother? Maybe it was the acting, but there are some scenes here and there that should never have made it to the show proper. That's one of the reasons why it's so strange to watch it, it's so weirdly uneven.

I don’t think so, I was assuming this was them going across the sea to home rather full on dying. Maybe i misunderstood
Maybe. I didn't think that this was Galadriel about to die I knew they were going to live there but Grey Havens I thought was meant to be like a kind of heaven. You go there when you have served your purpose, need rest and recovery. You can stay there a while or a very long time but ultimately you will die there.

When Frodo went it was because he suffered so much while carrying the ring. He eventually died there because he couldn't return to the mortal world.
I was wondering why the king was sending the young elves to the grey havens as I thought they only went at the end of their age. I haven’t really thought about elves going all the time, or a political tool to remove an elf that was giving you a hard time.

It definitely doesn't seem like Elves go all the time. I felt it was made clear this was a rare gift and as Elrond said to Galadriel it was a gift from their king so they shouldn't refuse it. They had a purpose and that was to hunt down Sauron and his forces. It seems they spent hundreds of years doing this. I don't know exactly how many hundreds of years passed but If it was like 800-900 years then even for elves that's a long time. Galadriel went to Grey Havens when she was 8374. By that time she could've spent 9-12% of her life hunting them down. Even if it was just 300 years it would've been about 4% of her life.

Is this supposed to be the same continuity as the movies? Kind of a hard sell as Elrond in this looks like someone stepped on his head as a kid...
It's set well before The Hobbit/LOTR. It might take some inspiration from the Jackson movies but the show is its own thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom