• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralemont

not me
Seriously? What about the galaxy map or the Citadel theme?

Heh, I forgot about music heavily featured in all 3 games, but you're right. Technically I suppose it counts as ME1 music, just like Vigil.

There's also that theme that plays when you're becoming a Spectre which is more or less "The Mass Effect theme". It gets remixed for when your ships are showing up for Priority Earth in ME3.

Agremont

ME1's soundtrack is definitely the most rememberable for me. ME2's has got several rememberable pieces of music as well and is a very good soundtrack too in my opinion. I didn't care for ME3's much at all. I can only remember the dream music.

Sagely

I always thought the ME1 soundtrack had quite a cheesy low-budget feel (and really dug it for that reason). It feels distinctly sci-fi compared to the sequels. The Citadel DLC had some great tracks actually, it got a bit closer to that old ME1 sound with the combat music.

If the Uncharted Worlds theme is kept on for the next game, I will cry tears of happiness :) Even if planet mining returns, it will be okay because of that glorious music.

It was a flawed game that did some great things. Aside from the ending it did have other issues. Some of them pretty significant.

It's just that the ending was so godawful that it masked the other issues.

Of course if the game would have given me the OPTION of a happy blue baby ending, where EDI and the Geth survive I would have overlooked everything else.

yes. no game is perfect. for me the game was not a 'good' one, however, even with the deus ex ending, if there were some post-ending gameplay at all, I wouldn't have been as mad. the fact that the game redirects you to pre-cerberus assault after beating the game is also stupid.

Ralemont

not me
I always thought the ME1 soundtrack had quite a cheesy low-budget feel (and really dug it for that reason). It feels distinctly sci-fi compared to the sequels. The Citadel DLC had some great tracks actually, it got a bit closer to that old ME1 sound with the combat music.

If the Uncharted Worlds theme is kept on for the next game, I will cry tears of happiness :) Even if planet mining returns, it will be okay because of that glorious music.

I think that's a good bet.

I agree about the Citadel DLC's combat tracks. Great rhythm for shooting stuff.

Mindlog

We've been here before!
Prothean Beacon is up there with Vigil's theme as a great accompaniment to its setting.
Carbon Based Lifeforms please.
Clearly a good choice.

Eno is a natural fit - Solaris XL, Stars
Frostbyte could put something together - When You Fly
Cliff Martinez
damn it EatChildren
would be a great choice - Hammer
Faunts is a little known band with some perfect tracks - M4 Part 1
This really stood out with old games where your audio setup could change the music entirely. You grow attached to that first experience.

This is one of my favorite tracks from Descent 1. The top is the original and clearly best version.
Lunar Outpost (Real SB16, OPL3)
AWE 32

Mac/Playstation Version

I never really had a huge problem with ME's scores in the latter two games because for the most part it always felt thematic; the Geth, the lion's share of your opponents in ME1, were synthetic. Saren had been heavily synthetically modified, and Sovereign of course was a machine. The score is electric and matches that.

In ME2, the Collectors are organic, and when you're fighting them there's a generally more organic, orchestral style score. However, when you do fight the Geth in that game, such as Tali's missions, the sound takes on a very similar tone to ME1 and even rearranges some recognizable tunes from that game.

ME3 is a similar sort of thing, really - all the mish-mash enemies you fight are twisted organics adjusted by synthetics, but certainly not like the Geth. ME3 probably has the least identity in its audio, but it never felt out of place to me; it felt like the score was pretty consistent in a thematic sense.

Heh, I forgot about music heavily featured in all 3 games, but you're right. Technically I suppose it counts as ME1 music, just like Vigil.

There's also that theme that plays when you're becoming a Spectre which is more or less "The Mass Effect theme". It gets remixed for when your ships are showing up for Priority Earth in ME3.

It's more difficult to recognize, but that theme is the basis for 'An End Once and For All' in ME3 as well. I always liked how ME2 and 3 never directly use that theme, but use the base and then deviate from it. I felt that was a nice touch.

jtb

Banned
I can't express how much disdain I have for the musical direction the sequels went. from that beautiful synth-y sci-fi soundtrack to the most generic orchestral soundtrack. even Hans Zimmer and his army of ghostwriters couldn't write a more uninspired soundtrack, and I'm sure he's tried.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sure ME1 has the best overall soundtrack. But Lower Afterlife and the Overlord battle theme are the best pieces of the music in the series IMO.

Agremont

Noveria in ME1 is one of the most chill, trance-inducing tunes out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5GHQNnPUuo

Damn nice.

Another fav of mine is the music playing in the abandoned freighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1SxfW73lMI&list=PLJAXsS8rpwOaXRdBtVVvleIoJfzXYHKAV&index=26

*shivers* So good.

Lower afterlife doesn't really count though because it's a NFS track :p

Isn't it the upper afterlife that's got the NFS track?

Daemul

ME3's soundtrack is where it's at.

Leaving Earth, A Cerberus Agent, A Future for the Krogan, I'm Sorry, I was Lost Without You, The Fleet's Arrive, I'm Proud of You, A Moment of Silence etc, all awesome tracks.

I only remember a handful of tracks form the previous two games, one of them being that NFS track.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Vigil forever and ever, think it helped it was also the main menu music - it became synonymous with "Mass Effect" for me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ME3's soundtrack is where it's at.

Leaving Earth, A Cerberus Agent, A Future for the Krogan, I'm Sorry, I was Lost Without You, The Fleet's Arrive, I'm Proud of You, A Moment of Silence etc, all awesome tracks.

I only remember a handful of tracks form the previous two games, one of them being that NFS track.

None of those are Mordin.

Agremont

Alright, my standouts in the series: Presidium, Abandoned freighter music, Feros, Noveria, Galaxy map music (of course), Vigil, Mordin's music, Collector base, Arrival dlc action music.

Phew that's a lot of standouts, and I've probably missed some.

But yeah, fab soundtracks.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Always been fascinated in what music sounds like slowed down so this seems apt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peF7EPxkQeI

Endless crescendo that takes forever to reach it's climax. Can't decide if it's painful or enjoyable to listen to.

Edit: In my youtube perusing I stumbled upon a ME3 voice cast compilation and I did not realise that Troy Baker was Mr. Cereal-eating Villain Man, ugh.

fDApzPJ.jpg

For me Mass Effect 1 had the best soundtrack, with Mass Effect 2 a close second. Mass Effect 3 had around 4 memorable tracks for me.

All time favourites are Vigil, Love Theme, Galaxy Map music, and omega music. And pretty much all of the club tunes haha.

prag16

Banned
Always been fascinated in what music sounds like slowed down so this seems apt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peF7EPxkQeI

Endless crescendo that takes forever to reach it's climax. Can't decide if it's painful or enjoyable to listen to.

Edit: In my youtube perusing I stumbled upon a ME3 voice cast compilation and I did not realise that Troy Baker was Mr. Cereal-eating Villain Man, ugh.

Not sure ANY voice actor could have saved that character. The design and writing was just so awful. Hell, he was kind of cringe worthy even in the novels (before I ever saw him in ME3).

SugarDave

I can't express how much disdain I have for the musical direction the sequels went. from that beautiful synth-y sci-fi soundtrack to the most generic orchestral soundtrack. even Hans Zimmer and his army of ghostwriters couldn't write a more uninspired soundtrack, and I'm sure he's tried.

But ME3 has really great synth tracks. I prefer ME1's musical style overall as well but there are some real gems in there, in fact I'd probably say it's the most consistently strong OST in the series.

televator

fDApzPJ.jpg

What?! That shit brick was voiced by Troy? What a waste.

Music wise in ME3 I adore the ending song in the extended cut. Breaks my heart.
I also like the CAT06 combat music in the Citadel DLC, gave it a nice feeling compared to the other battles, because those mercs are a breeze for the experience members of Shepard squad.

In ME2 I like the music from Jacob's mission and the Suicide mission.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All three games have tracks that are among my favourites, and least favourites. I can pick no one.

HMD

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this. I've always wanted to play the ME series but I never got to for some reason, and I remember hearing rumors about a supposed next gen collection, and I was wondering if anything came out of that. I wanted to buy it for my PS3 but it died and I only own next/current gen consoles now. Thanks.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this. I've always wanted to play the ME series but I never got to for some reason, and I remember hearing rumors about a supposed next gen collection, and I was wondering if anything came out of that. I wanted to buy it for my PS3 but it died and I only own next/current gen consoles now. Thanks.
Nothing solid. BioWare has said that it's something they may do in the future, but we've never heard anything more than that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

They have not been officially announced by EA or Bioware. That's the official response.

HOWEVER, there is a lot of smoke that suggests they're all but confirmed to be coming at some point. IMO it's just a question of when. Bioware is certainly open to doing it and knows that there is a demand. That much is 100% clear.

But it has not been officially announced so until that happens it's always possible it may not happen.

It would be absolutely stupid for EA to not do it though.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My E3 predictions:

Mass Effect 4 Trailer + Remaster Announcement for Trilogy (to be released N7 day 2015)
Fallout 4 + Dishonored 2

Me = Face Melted from Hype Implosions.

BumRush

I would love if somehow a "remaster" could just be 1 continuous game. I know it's not exactly feasible but that'd be a fun way to play it.

I would love if somehow a "remaster" could just be 1 continuous game. I know it's not exactly feasible but that'd be a fun way to play it.
I think that would actually be completely feasible. ME2 is the only game in the trilogy that lets you continue playing after the main quest is done, but they could just give you a pop-up message after the suicide mission asking whether you want to continue to ME3 or keep playing ME2.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think that would actually be completely feasible. ME2 is the only game in the trilogy that lets you continue playing after the main quest is done, but they could just give you a pop-up message after the suicide mission asking whether you want to continue to ME3 or keep playing ME2.

Well, you can continue playing after beating ME3 too, you just go back right before the Cerberus base mission. Not really the same I know, but... :p

Ralemont

not me

That'd be a fun transition from ME1 to 2. "We just saved the Citadel and we're totally badasses OH SHIT WE JUST GOT BLOWN THE FUCK UP."

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That'd be a fun transition from ME1 to 2. "We just saved the Citadel and we're totally badasses OH SHIT WE JUST GOT BLOWN THE FUCK UP."

Or even more awkward, during the "interview" at the beginning of ME2 with Miranda and Jacob.

*Shepard chose Anderson as the human Councilor at the end of ME1*
ME2 interview, Miranda : "So Shepard, who did you choose as the human Councilor?"
Shepard "lol Udina".
Miranda : "That's right!"

Or even more awkward, during the "interview" at the beginning of ME2 with Miranda and Jacob.

*Shepard chose Anderson as the human Councilor at the end of ME1*
ME2 interview, Miranda : "So Shepard, who did you choose as the human Councilor?"
Shepard "lol Udina".
Miranda : "That's right!"

Now I'm curious, what happens if you deliberately screw up that little Q&A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom