• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some new pics from NASA, Because why not? :p

and the reapers take earth! again...

B9fugkTIYAA97cu_jpg_large.jpg

B88m0_sIQAE5NwD_jpg_large.jpg

B9qTYNsCUAEb_gM_jpg_large.jpg

B9LE_F9CYAEcL_u_jpg_large.jpg

B9MzCp5CAAAyTXc_jpg_large.jpg

So much Galaxies... need to see them all :p

B9QlWJaCAAE5FQV_jpg_large.jpg

B9f0H4CCEAAfeT6_jpg_large.jpg

Patryn

I like online in ME3, and I think online in ME4 is a great idea... they just need to break the connection. I kind of understand them connecting them in ME3 in order to get people to try it out (worked on me, after all), but I think it can stand on its own at this point.

DedValve

Banned
Just not like DA I plsss

Enters new galaxy

* 0/100 reaper shells found
* 0/50 collectable gems found
* 0/10 Normandy pets found
* 0/10 Exclusive Normandy Rugs found
* 0/500 Salarian STG Shards found
* 0/8 Planets Scanned
* 0/12 Asari Justicar Fragments found
* 0/36 Rachni Eggs found
* 0/12 Shifty Space Cow Races ran
* 0/15 Mako Races Ran
* 0/2 Normandy Fuel Stations found

Jesus christ the nauseating and obnoxious quest log that would implode every time you enter a new area and I'm not even exaggerating.

ME always had filler but lets hope they actually REDUCE the amount of filler from ME2/3 rather than go all in like DA:I

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Enters new galaxy

* 0/100 reaper shells found
* 0/50 collectable gems found
* 0/10 Normandy pets found
* 0/10 Exclusive Normandy Rugs found
* 0/500 Salarian STG Shards found
* 0/8 Planets Scanned
* 0/12 Asari Justicar Fragments found
* 0/36 Rachni Eggs found
* 0/12 Shifty Space Cow Races ran
* 0/15 Mako Races Ran
* 0/2 Normandy Fuel Stations found

Jesus christ the nauseating and obnoxious quest log that would implode every time you enter a new area and I'm not even exaggerating.

ME always had filler but lets hope they actually REDUCE the amount of filler from ME2/3 rather than go all in like DA:I

Funny that you'd complain about the filler in ME2 and ME3 when it actually was worst in ME1, see those minerals/items you have to find on each barren planets. Gotta love trying to get that mineral stuck on a spiky mountain.
ME2/ME3 "filler" was what? Simple missions asking you to get from point A to point B? Planet scanning?

Wulfram

Collectibles seem pretty inoffensive to me as long they're not tied into anything important. They're easy to ignore. Well, IIRC ME1 could have done with better explanations about what the icons actually meant, but once I worked out that everything except the ! symbols was pointless it was good.

Unlike planet scanning being needed to upgrade your weapons/ship or being tied into the ending.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Lots wrong in my opinion. It forces additional generation of assets and time spent creating consequences for those actions, most of which will be shallow at best.

I'd rather they start fresh. I'm all for importing into Mass Effect 5, I just feel this is the right time for a clean break now, so they can more intelligently decide what choices can actually be followed through on.

I agree with this 100%. Start fresh. Don't limit yourself to what was done before.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im curious would anyone be pissed if Bioware chose synthesis as the canon ending?

I would be, but all the endings sucked.

If synthesis was the canon ending I would name my character Saren.

Bisnic

Im curious would anyone be pissed if Bioware chose synthesis as the canon ending?

They're not stupid enough to make all living beings in ME4 some kind of synthetic/organic hybrids. It was "cool"(not for many though I guess) for an ending of a trilogy, but don't make sequels based on that.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it will be set well after ME3 (at least 20 years) and that most people will just say, "Shepard made the Reapers disappear and nobody's really sure how, because everything was so chaotic." That covers the destruction and control endings. And since it's in the future, technology will be improved and a lot of people might have cybernetic implants, which sort of covers the synthesis ending. They're going to have to just write off the refusal ending. The big question is whether or not the geth, quarians, and krogan will be present.
Funny that you'd complain about the filler in ME2 and ME3 when it actually was worst in ME1, see those minerals/items you have to find on each barren planets. Gotta love trying to get that mineral stuck on a spiky mountain.
ME2/ME3 "filler" was what? Simple missions asking you to get from point A to point B? Planet scanning?
The problem with ME2's planet scanning filler was that it was directly tied into your upgrades.

prag16

Banned
If I had to guess, I'd say that it will be set well after ME3 (at least 20 years) and that most people will just say, "Shepard made the Reapers disappear and nobody's really sure how, because everything was so chaotic." That covers the destruction and control endings. And since it's in the future, technology will be improved and a lot of people might have cybernetic implants, which sort of covers the synthesis ending. They're going to have to just write off the refusal ending. The big question is whether or not the geth, quarians, and krogan will be present.

The problem with ME2's planet scanning filler was that it was directly tied into your upgrades.

Unless it actually takes place concurrently with the original trilogy. Hence, "Pathfinder", and the talk of traveling to another galaxy.

Bisnic

The big question is whether or not the geth, quarians, and krogan will be present.

I don't think Bioware will dare to get rid of any races from the trilogy. Too many people love them, and I can hardly imagine a Mass Effect game without krogans or quarians or geths. It's almost as impossible for me to imagine as a Mass Effect game without turians or salarians.

Unless it actually takes place concurrently with the original trilogy. Hence, "Pathfinder", and the talk of traveling to another galaxy.
Yeah, that's perfectly possible as well. I guess I just assumed it would be a sequel.
I don't think Bioware will dare to get rid of any races from the trilogy. Too many people love them, and I can hardly imagine a Mass Effect game without krogans or quarians or geths. It's almost as impossible for me to imagine as a Mass Effect game without turians or salarians.
They could also avoid the issue altogether. Even if you make the worst possible choices for a given race, there would probably be some survivors who would go on to have children while their species slowly fades away due to lack of numbers and genetic diversity. I don't expect BioWare to go this route, though.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, that's perfectly possible as well. I guess I just assumed it would be a sequel.

It's almost what I'm expecting at this point. It lets them ignore any choices made in the original trilogy without having to canonize anything. And it seems to fit in with all the cagey comments we've gotten so far.

I'd probably prefer a sequel I guess, but something like this could be interesting too.

Patryn

Oh god. It's going to be about an expedition that's searching for a contingency for the Reaper invasion, isn't it?

Basically secretly searching for a new world for us to retreat to?

Ralemont

not me
It's almost what I'm expecting at this point. It lets them ignore any choices made in the original trilogy without having to canonize anything. And it seems to fit in with all the cagey comments we've gotten so far.

I'd probably prefer a sequel I guess, but something like this could be interesting too.

My guess is both. It will take place in another galaxy, but long after the Reaper War. This way, if it is about offshoots from our galaxy who left during the War settling in a new one, they'd have had time to build new civilizations on the planets they find. And they don't have to deal with ME3's endings. This also provides a new setting for the ME series going forward in which they essentially never need to deal with ME3's endings, which honestly is probably for the best.

diaspora

I'd rather they start fresh. I'm all for importing into Mass Effect 5, I just feel this is the right time for a clean break now, so they can more intelligently decide what choices can actually be followed through on.

It'd probably be found largely in the codex anyway rather than in main story elements. Either way though, a Keep-like management system would be the best system considering that it allows decisions to be cross-platform.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

That teaser trailer had a Krogan in it (I'm 99% sure it's one anyway) and I agree, I can't see BW getting rid of any races: that would be mental seeing as they have created the best alien cultures known to Science Fiction.

I can see them taking a back seat to a few new races though if we travel outside of the Milky Way... god I hope it's a sequel (not running alongside the previous trilogy); I prefer not knowing what's ahead, etc.

I know that will mean choosing a canon ending, unless they go the DA Keep route...which would make sense, that way they could make up a reason for each ME3 ending to end up however the next game starts.

My guess is both. It will take place in another galaxy, but long after the Reaper War. This way, if it is about offshoots from our galaxy who left during the War settling in a new one, they'd have had time to build new civilizations on the planets they find. And they don't have to deal with ME3's endings. This also provides a new setting for the ME series going forward in which they essentially never need to deal with ME3's endings, which honestly is probably for the best.

I'm down with going to another galaxy, but not at the expense of totally ignoring the previous races etc ; a bit of both would be great though.

Say, a new threat emerges threatening the now rebuilt Galactic community, we chase after it into their Galaxy to be diplomatic and/or strike at it's core: discover new races with our Krogan/Salarian/Turian/Volus/Asari et al new team mates; make love to new colorful aliens... oh yes, that would be my kind of ME4!

SliChillax

Oh god. It's going to be about an expedition that's searching for a contingency for the Reaper invasion, isn't it?

I actually really like the sound of that, sort of like Interstellar.

Either that or it's about reestablishing contact after the network collapses. But the fact that "Arkcon" is a term associated with it does heavily imply that it's about preserving humanity and/or other species of the galaxy, possibly a citadel initiative in general.

Jake360

Neo Member
I'm sure we'll bump into Liara. They'll want to throw in one fimiliar face! But i hope it's nothing more than a cameo appearance
if they do throw in a familiar. I have started ME again in anticipation!!

Daemul

I'm sure we'll bump into Liara. They'll want to throw in one fimiliar face! But i hope it's nothing more than a cameo appearance
if they do throw in a familiar. I have started ME again in anticipation!!

Please no, they already made the galaxy feel small in the original trilogy by having us constantly bump into people we knew in a galaxy full of BILLIONS of planets, and TRILLIONS of individuals, when the odds of doing so were tiny, as in, you have more chance of winning the lottery multiple times tiny, so let's not make it any worse in the next game please.

X-Frame

Reading the news about the Black Emporium coming to Inquisition, what're the chances something similar would be in the next ME?

Please no, they already made the galaxy feel small in the original trilogy by having us constantly bump into people we knew in a galaxy full of BILLIONS of planets, and TRILLIONS of individuals, when the odds of doing so were tiny, as in, you have more chance of winning the lottery multiple times tiny, so let's not make it any worse in the next game please.

You'd be surprised. I lived in NYC for a while, and in a city of 8 million people I kept bumping into the same handful of random strangers. If you're investigating an archeological dig in some distant part of the galaxy, Liara being there isn't a stretch.

zerosum

I feel you on this one for the most part, although I could give a pass to someone like Liara. She would arguably be one of the most important Asari to have ever lived, and she played a massive role in saving the entire galaxy alongside Shepard.
Not to mention she became the Shadow Broker.
To me that would be a bit different than bumping into the same random, unimportant NPC.

We're just speculating, no official info so far.

I just completed Remember Me and man does this game remind me of Mass Effect and Deus Ex sometimes. It also has some damn nice artwork.
http://imgur.com/a/Yei1A

I see. Is that what everyone wants?

I remember when Bioware announced they were taking suggestions from fans, in the IGN article comments of people said they wanted the new game to be hundreds of years after the ME trilogy, where things of the trilogy would be like a history textbook.

SliChillax

I see. Is that what everyone wants?

I remember when Bioware announced they were taking suggestions from fans, in the IGN article comments of people said they wanted the new game to be hundreds of years after the ME trilogy, where things of the trilogy would be like a history textbook.

Well the Asari do live for a thousand years and Liara is quite young in the original trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom