• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm.

http://careersearch.ea.com/ca/montr...oware-montreal-senior-cinematic-animator-jobs

4Wdje0X.png

4FodjwX.png

Could it be an error? 'A solid understanding of composition and camera language' is mentioned twice, might be a copy / paste gaffe.

_woLf

After seeing Bioware create awesome worlds in Frostbite for Dragon Age, I'm really excited to see what Mass Effect looks like in it. ME1-3 had a lot of the typical unreal problems when it came to lighting and things kinda looking like toys.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

As said by someone from Bioware :

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/5475...or-cinematic-animator-job-posting/?p=18712656

So here's the thing. Frostbite is an internal-only engine. Only EA studios currently have access to it. What you're looking at is a job posting for external candidates. External candidates will almost certainly not have any experience working in that engine. It's not a stretch of imagination to assume however that experience in another, similar, engine will partially translate to another (ie. some experience in Maya is better than no experience when working in 3Ds Max). That is pretty much all this is about.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not surprising, more informative.

It's just that we know that ME4 and likely all future titles are using Frostbite.

It's only the original trilogy that used Unreal.

This posting is a further sign that they're working on a remaster.

You all know I am in favor of this remaster, but I can't say I would consider this a sign.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I have a question: is the trilogy on PS3 with every DLC? Or do I need to buy them stand alone and buy the DLC?

It comes with a spattering of the DLCs, but you'll need to still buy the major ME3 ones.

In other words, it'll cost you quite a bit if you want everything (totally worth it though) :D

Ralemont

not me
It comes with a spattering of the DLCs, but you'll need to still buy the major ME3 ones.

In other words, it'll cost you quite a bit if you want everything (totally worth it though) :D

Just to clarify, the PS3 version of the Trilogy comes with Shadow Broker since vanilla ME2 on PS3 came with all ME2 DLC except Arrival.

Edit: I see what you did there.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

That's why the trilogy was more or less an insult. THere was no reason it should not have included all the DLC.

Not likely, but if that were to happen for the PS4/X1 remasters people (especially me) would be PISSED.

Patryn

I have a question: is the trilogy on PS3 with every DLC? Or do I need to buy them stand alone and buy the DLC?

The PS3 will never have ALL the DLC, but that's not a terrible thing.

Pinnacle Station, the second piece of DLC for Mass Effect 1 and possibly the worst piece of non-cosmetic DLC in the series, had its source files become corrupted. As such, it is only available on the 360 and PC and will likely never be available for any additional platform.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That's why the trilogy was more or less an insult. THere was no reason it should not have included all the DLC.

Not likely, but if that were to happen for the PS4/X1 remasters people (especially me) would be PISSED.

Hell yeah.. that would be bad alright - but I'm thinking surely, if they do make the Remaster, it will have all the DLC.

Well, they could leave out Pinnacle if they wanted to... I'm happy to never see that again (that view was dope though) haha.

Ralemont

not me
They'd definitely have all the DLC for the Remaster, especially when Aaryn Flynn brought up integrating them organically into the vanilla games when he was posting his "what I'd like to see if we do it" stuff.

Also, one thing occurred to me but I don't know how difficult it would be: it'd be nice if they could find someway to un-gate the Citadel DLC character convos so that you can see them in the main game without doing the Citadel DLC story first. It'd be difficult since the section where they take place doesn't open up until after you do the story part, but personally I'd love to see the convos as I'm playing the game while saving the mission/party for after I beat ME3 every time.

AlStrong

Not sure why they'd need a Cinematic Animator for a Remaster, anyway.
Gotta hire someone to flick a couple resolution switches, and re-render all the in-engine FMVs. ;)

Please be ridiculous quality with supersampling - it was bad enough the originals were 720p & Bink, but they didn't even render it with any AA.

Patryn

I read somewhere that EA even no longer holds a license of Unreal Engine 3 so remaster is probably out of the picture entirely.

That was probably in this thread. That information was later corrected that EA actually would be able to do so, even though it uses Unreal.

daninthemix

It continues to blow my mind that they didn't add in controller support for either ME2 or ME3.

I kind of understand the argument about ME1 (they wanted to rework the UI to take advantage of KB+M), and given the time it was released having controller support wasn't at the same level as it is now. But for ME2 and ME3 there's no excuse, because it was becoming standard to offer it.

This is literally the difference between 'day one buy' and 'never buy' for me. I want a PC ME trilogy with all DLCs, controller support and the Xbox UIs. That's it.

I don't look at IT as a way to avoid the current endings though, I just see it as a fascinating way of enhancing the mystery and build up to the end of the trilogy.

A lot of IT makes perfect sense, but I also back the real endings as the true endings if that makes sense... I guess I like the mystery of it all and the sense that there is possibly something else to the end of Shepard's journey.

If the Mass Effect Remaster is as quality as the TLoU Remaster.... I would freak out with excitement.

The TLoU Remaster is amazing head to toe, I'm still knee deep in the Factions MP, and the populations are super strong even here in NZ/Aussie (90% of the time I'm paired locally, at least).
yeah, I'd be quite happy with what I get if that's the type of work biow will put into the remaster.

You should expect it to have quality similar to the PC versions.

THat's as a realistic an expectation as there is.
thats not really a desirable one though. It would be nice fan service for them to do something similar to what ND did for tlour.
We definitely know that ME4 is on Frostbite.
Me4 with battlefield-level graphics? holy moley
The PS3 will never have ALL the DLC, but that's not a terrible thing.

Pinnacle Station, the second piece of DLC for Mass Effect 1 and possibly the worst piece of non-cosmetic DLC in the series, had its source files become corrupted. As such, it is only available on the 360 and PC and will likely never be available for any additional platform.
There's ME dlc still missing on the Ps3 versions? what the hell for?

Thus looks like the best place to ask. I have never played mass effect and I'm looking to start around the end of the minth. What do I need to know?

I have the first 2 on Steam and would have to buy the 3rd on origin. Will my save files transfer alright?

Are there any mods I should know about for performance?

Really any general advice is appreciated.

Bisnic

There's ME dlc still missing on the Ps3 versions? what the hell for?

He just said why in the post you quoted. That's the only DLC missing.

Thus looks like the best place to ask. I have never played mass effect and I'm looking to start around the end of the minth. What do I need to know?

I have the first 2 on Steam and would have to buy the 3rd on origin. Will my save files transfer alright?

I got ME1 on Steam, ME2 on a retail box with no Steam or Origin attached, and ME3 on Origin. Save files transfer just alright between the 3.

Ralemont

not me

Your save files will transfer. I have the first two on Steam and they transferred to my ME3 on Origin.

I don't really think there's much you need to know before starting except prepare for a fantastic ride.

He just said why in the post you quoted. That's the only DLC missing.
but he didn't say why. what purpose is there in keeping another dlc away from the Ps3 version when the series is now 100% multiplatform

they better not pull this shit this gen. remaster or 4th game

Bisnic

but he didn't say why. what purpose is there in keeping another dlc away from the Ps3 version when the series is now 100% multiplatform

Reread the quote. The source files has been corrupted.

Patryn

I... did?

possibly the worst piece of non-cosmetic DLC in the series, had its source files become corrupted.

had its source files become corrupted

oh, my bad. by non-cosmetic DLC do you mean things that aren't extra costumes and weapons i.e stories?

and when they remaster, does this mean the pinnacle DLC won't be available for any new platforms?

Patryn

oh, my bad. by non-cosmetic DLC do you mean things that aren't extra costumes and weapons i.e stories?

and when they remaster, does this mean the pinnacle DLC won't be available for any new platforms?

Yeah, I wanted to differentiate from things like the outfit DLC from Mass Effect 2.

And, yes, the loss of the source files mean that most likely it will not be part of any possible remaster.

Yeah, I wanted to differentiate from things like the outfit DLC from Mass Effect 2.

And, yes, the loss of the source files mean that most likely it will not be part of any possible remaster.
unless... they redo that dlc. was it bad? you say it is the "worst piece," and I don't know if you say that because it was glitchy, or if it just sucked.

your avy reminds me of barty crouch jr, btw.

It almost certainly won't, unless they want to go back and rebuild it.

Which they won't.

So it won't.

Patryn

unless... they redo that dlc. was it bad? you say it is the "worst piece," and I don't know if you say that because it was glitchy, or if it just sucked.

your avy reminds me of barty crouch jr, btw.

It kind of sucked. It's basically just a combat arena for Mass Effect 1. Has the bare minimum amount of new dialogue, and no real major story beats.

Best thing about it is the reward you get for accomplishing everything, but it's not really anything to write home about.

As for the avatar, that's unsurprising, given that David Tennant played Barty Crouch Jr. However, my avatar is of the Tenth Doctor.

It kind of sucked. It's basically just a combat arena for Mass Effect 1. Has the bare minimum amount of new dialogue, and no real major story beats.

Best thing about it is the reward you get for accomplishing everything, but it's not really anything to write home about.

As for the avatar, that's unsurprising, given that David Tennant played Barty Crouch Jr. However, my avatar is of the Tenth Doctor.
I see. well if it is left out of the remaster it's not really much we'd be missing out on. I'm willing to bet that most of the hardcore ME fans are/were on xbox. i'm in the minority coz I fell in love with Me2 on Ps3. completely missed out on Me1 for over a year after having gotten into the series, and I got to play through it only once.

oh, so it is the same guy! no wonder. cool.

Patryn

quick question: is this the original face of femshep? and is this Me2 or Me1?
46407-237115-06162011MassEffect3FemShepjpg-620x.jpg

That's from ME2. You can tell by the armor.

Also, that doesn't look like the default face of FemShep. For one thing, she has black hair. Default one had brown.

It's not terribly far off, however, as I recall.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
thats not really a desirable one though. It would be nice fan service for them to do something similar to what ND did for tlour.

its a perfectly desirable option. If they were to port the ME trilogy to current gen consoles they would use the PC and its assets as a base. They would look quite a bit better than the last gen versions.

It would basically be the same as going from PS3 TLOU to PS4 TLoU.

You should be thrilled about that.

Bisnic

I was disappointed to see that your scar from ME1 was gone in ME2. Sure, it made sense since Cerberus "rebuilt" you, but i still missed my badass scar. The glowing ones from Renegade Shepard were too much, made you look like an evil cyborg.

That's from ME2. You can tell by the armor.

Also, that doesn't look like the default face of FemShep. For one thing, she has black hair. Default one had brown.

It's not terribly far off, however, as I recall.
could it be just the lighting? I've seen that pic a lot, I feel like it was an official promo.
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Commander_Shepard

Default_Shepards.jpg

for some odd reason they replaced her ...
I don't like the changes to her in the later game
yeah neither do I. remember on facebook where they had 5 or 6 femshep faces and they wanted people to vote for the one that should be the new default by liking them?

its a perfectly desirable option. If they were to port the ME trilogy to current gen consoles they would use the PC and its assets as a base. They would look quite a bit better than the last gen versions.

It would basically be the same as going from PS3 TLOU to PS4 TLoU.

You should be thrilled about that.
If it is based on the PC version, then it's not desirable, it's disappointing. I'll still get it because I'm a diehard ME fan, but ND did a little work going on tlou going from Ps3 to Ps4. The graphics were updated at least a little bit. If they do at least that much the same for the ME trilogy, then hell yes I will be thrilled.

I was disappointed to see that your scar from ME1 was gone in ME2. Sure, it made sense since Cerberus "rebuilt" you, but i still missed my badass scar. The glowing ones from Renegade Shepard were too much, made you look like an evil cyborg.
I never got around to getting all the ins and outs of Me1, what scar are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom