• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Speaking of tali, how did you guys take her face revelation?

Back when it first happened I found that a lot of people were unhappy and bioware addressed by saying tali deserved a realistic face because it's in line with those who romanced liara or Miranda

Well, the idea of showing her face would've been a nice reward to fans after 3 games but they fucked it up in every way.

Making it so human-like and not bothering to model it (other than a bad way to save dev resources) didn't surprise me, considering it was the same company that said:

Derek Watts said:
They’re all males in the game. We usually try to avoid the females because what do you do with a female Turian? Do you give her breasts? What do you do? Do you put lipstick on her? There’s actually some of the concept artists will draw lipstick on the male one and they’ll say “Hey, it’s done” and we’ll go “No, can you take this serious?

I am aware they corrected this mistake later on, but other small things like giving Ashley a very obvious makeover for ME 3 were, in my mind, clear symptoms of a bigger issue going on at Bioware at the time, in essence, a really misguided approach to design and desperation to appeal to certain sectors at all costs.

The badly photoshopped photo in game speaks for itself and is probably one of the worst lows in any Bioware game.
Chobot inclusion was way worse imo, made much more terrible when more work and care went into that instead =/

Well the two aspects of this were how human she was and the photo itself. The human part I was fine with as we have known since at least drew k's ascension book that quarians were the most physically proximate race to humans, even down to the hair. The photo itself was a bad decision. I can understand their stance that by confining it to a photo the player could choose to not see it, but I think its a pretty bad excuse that was moreoever executed poorly by being a bad PhotoShop of a stock photo.

It still makes me harrumph that chobot got an in-game face and tali didnt, especially since she takes her mask off on Rannoch.
I'll agree with you there. It would've been better to see her face in-game meaning on the character herself instead of a stupidass photograph.
I have no problem with the concept. She and the quarians are more attractive than I had anticipated. The problem was that picture looked like a cheap photoshopped image from a random model.
there was a lot of cheap photoshop in Me3. didn't that end with the old man and the kid have its setting as a photoshop?
Tali's rabid fanbase that existed during the heyday of Mass Effect.
and what, everybody was raging and started making bannable-offensive posts?

Like we needed any more reasons to hate Tali and/or the Quarians, the reveal of the Quarians being night elves with that photo sealed the deal. They're the second worst species after the Asari. In a series that gave us Krogans, Turians, Volus, Elcor, Hanar etc, they stand out as unjustifiably human-like. The only species that was designed to be a romantic interest from its inception that turned out ok IMO were the Drell, since they still look quite alien instead of somebody you'd see on an episode of TOS getting felt up by Kirk.
I don't see how you can hate the quarians for being "unjustifiably human-like." All the organic races are basically humans with prosthetic faces. With the exception of the hanar, they're all bilaterally symmetrical, with four limbs and a head (with eyes and mouth in roughly identical positions), and they all communicate via speech. This was probably a practical concession, to reduce the number of animations and hitboxes that needed to be created, and to make them more relatable.

I assume that it would be harder to be friends with, say, a race of space anemones who communicate via pheromones and don't give a fuck about any of the same things that humans do.
damn, this is making me wonder. like, what kinds of outrageous things they may've said out of anger. but... how bad could it really have been
I never saw any particularly angry Talimancers. They were mostly just creepy, in the moe vein.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Just another notch on the belt that indicates BioWare seemingly had no fucking idea what they were doing with the franchise and Mass Effect 3 in particular. Tali fans are weird, but I like her character because (thanks to Weekes I believe) she has potential for a strong, developed character arc across the trilogy. Like, one of the few characters that grows and changes in a logical way.

But the face thing was just...what. I didn't necessarily feel they needed to reveal, even if a lot of fans wanted it. The mystery of her face (and Quarians in general) was enough that I'm sure a lot of Tali fans had their own idea of her visage, and it's not bad to maintain that mystery. And the thing is...they did. The big climax to the best possible outcome to her quest arc has her take her helmet off on her home planet and still hide her face.

Then no, some weird face reveal that's a shitty, half arsed, uncreative photoshop in a photo frame at the end of a romance arc. It's so weird, like BioWare didn't really know how to treat it, starting with a commitment to the mystery and then at the last minute going "FUCK WE NEED A FACE". Or like an intern decided to photoshop a face and stuck it in.

BouncyFrag

I never saw any particularly angry Talimancers. They were mostly just creepy, in the moe vein.
Yup!
Full blown analysis of Tali's sweat:
Okay this was on the talimancer thread! All the talimancers just went with it and were truly intersted. This is the most epic talimancer post of all time. ^_^ I would just like to thank Thundertactics for creating this post.

A while ago, I created thesis on Clan Zorah regarding quarian sweat, etc. I'll post it here with some post-scriptum edits and abridging, it was created over the course of approximately 40 minutes. In several posts.

It started off as an analysis of Tali's sweat, trying to figure out what it'd smell and taste like. I quickly realised that most scents originate from bacteria, which would be minimal to non-existant for quarians.
The next best thing, would be urea. Urea is essential for ]http://s30.postimg.org/ehec6ayw1/sweat2.jpgthe metabolism of mammals, and also a bonding agent (For say, p-cresol and o-cresol, two odor chemicals found in sweat. Though these likely aren't available to quarians), and it, and residues of the amino acids and chemicals used in its production are excreted through many different ways. Urine, sweat, etc...

Don't look now...its even got diagrams and science!

150px-Urea.png

sweat2.jpg

wolfhowwl

Banned
damn, this is making me wonder. like, what kinds of outrageous things they may've said out of anger. but... how bad could it really have been

It wasn't that anyone was angry, this was before ME3 anyways. It was the waifu culture stuff with the rather fanatical enthusiastic adulation of the Tali character. As well as some unfortunate creepiness like the above.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Back when it first happened I found that a lot of people were unhappy and bioware addressed by saying tali deserved a realistic face because it's in line with those who romanced liara or Miranda

I am not upset by her realistic/normal face proportions/appearance.

I am more upset by the fact that they used a poorly photoshopped stock-photo for something that many fans of her, myself included, have been eagerly awaiting for a long while. The "here-whatever" treatment just rubbed me the wrong way.

I really like Tali. I think her growth from the beginning to the end of ME series was quite remarkable, and she+Shepard was one of the very few romances in the ME universe that I found to be acceptable in its believability.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
To be perfectly honest, I would find that move to be absolutely insulting and disrespectful to fans who want controller support. It is something that should be released for free and I am not one who feels that we are entitled to anything, but that would not be worth paying for.

Now if $20 got you controller support AND all previously released DLC then yeah.

Oh, I would be insulted too
but I would still buy the crap out of it :D

SPCTRE

That's what polonium (or whatever replaced Polonium) rounds are for, man.
I think you mean Shredder ammo, which only went up to VII, which one would have had to know so as not to omnigel it with no way of obtaining it ever again.

Polomium was the toxic stuff with no bonus vs. organic targets.

aravuus

I am more upset by the fact that they used a poorly photoshopped stock-photo for something that many fans of her, myself included, have been eagerly awaiting for a long while. The "here-whatever" treatment just rubbed me the wrong way.

I really like Tali. I think her growth from the beginning to the end of ME series was quite remarkable, and she+Shepard was one of the very few romances in the ME universe that I found to be acceptable in its believability.

Yeah, the way they did it was terrible. Tbh I'd rather never know what she looked like than have this kind of stupid reveal.

I was fine with the actual face, though.

Patryn

I think you mean Shredder ammo, which only went up to VII, which one would have had to know so as not to omnigel it with no way of obtaining it ever again.

I just ended up always using incendiary/inferno rounds. DOT on both organic and synthetic, and stops health regen. No switching needed!

DOWN

Banned
I miss ME1's guns/no ammo/upgrades. I liked having the blue electric rounds and the blue little lens flare, unlimited firing.

To be perfectly honest, I would find that move to be absolutely insulting and disrespectful to fans who want controller support. It is something that should be released for free and I am not one who feels that we are entitled to anything, but that would not be worth paying for.

I would still pay for it. Seriously its a big issue for me.

Edwardo

I was content with it. I guess if she looked more "alien" I may have liked it more, but I can accept what they gave me.

Polonium gets no specific bonus against organics, but it melts everything anyway.

Daemul

Tali-ban lol

But yeah even though I liked her character very much, Tali's extremist fanbase was hands down the worst

They seem to have all have, thankfully, dispersed after the ME3 ending fiasco. That whole ending controversy had one positive side affect at least.

Btw, someone needs to explain to me why the Quarians have hair because that makes absolutely no sense to me.

They seem to have all have, thankfully, dispersed after the ME3 ending fiasco. That whole ending controversy had one positive side affect at least.

Btw, someone needs to explain to me why the Quarians have hair because that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Why wouldn't they have hair? It'd be weird if humans were the only species in the galaxy with hair.

Ralemont

not me

Why wouldn't they have hair? You mean evolution-wise or why they wouldn't shave their heads for suit life?

As for the former, it actually does make sense considering Rannoch, for the same reason bees have hair on their legs:

Rannoch has no insect life. As a result, its pollinating plants evolved to rely on animals for propagation. This symbiosis between flora and fauna is responsible for the quarians' weakened immune systems, which made colonization of other planets extremely difficult after their exile from Rannoch. For many quarians, reclaiming their homeworld from the geth is a matter of both cultural and physiological necessity.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
For some reason, I have a hard time believing that a planet that can have super intelligent races such as the Quarians, cannot have insect life.

But hey, universe is full of mysteries right? Like how a Quarian face look just like a human girl who went into photoshop.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
For some reason, I have a hard time believing that a planet that can have super intelligent races such as the Quarians, cannot have insect life.

But hey, universe is full of mysteries right? Like how a Quarian face look just like a human girl who went into photoshop.

That is some suspicious evolution.

Ralemont

not me

You know there's a Quarian somewhere right now playing a game with this lame "oomahn" race.

I needed to hit the SSS on my Amazon order so I bought the Homeworlds collection. I need that Remaster asap.

That is some suspicious evolution.

That's nutting'. The Asari are so Human they wear human armour in ME1. They're all not only female, but conform to a 21st century notion of female beauty, including breasts shaped exactly like humans. They all have flawless skin, curvy bodies and faces resembling models. Their head tentacles resemble hair in some ways too. Not even humans, who have a biological incentive to be attractive to other humans are this good looking in the MEverse on average, but this other ducking species, whom do not share a common ancestry are all perfect blue skinned space babes.

Then, they're almost immortal, living hundreds or thousands of years, they are all biotics even though you're supposed to need eezo to create mass effect fields, they are all female and bisexual, they can reproduce with any species, and they have psychic mind meld powers. They are a) an obvious attempt to pander to men and or lesbians, and b) biologically fucking ridiculous on all levels.

That's nutting'. The Asari are so Human they wear human armour in ME1. They're all not only female, but conform to a 21st century notion of female beauty, including breasts shaped exactly like humans. They all have flawless skin, curvy bodies and faces resembling models. Their head tentacles resemble hair in some ways too. Not even humans, who have a biological incentive to be attractive to other humans are this good looking in the MEverse on average, but this other ducking species, whom do not share a common ancestry are all perfect blue skinned space babes.

Then, they're almost immortal, living hundreds or thousands of years, they are all biotics even though you're supposed to need eezo to create mass effect fields, they are all female and bisexual, they can reproduce with any species, and they have psychic mind meld powers. They are a) an obvious attempt to pander to men and or lesbians, and b) biologically fucking ridiculous on all levels.

While the second paragraph is definitely true, there was a bit in ME2 that implied that every species sees the Asari as resembling an idealized form of their own species' women. So there could be some wacky ass psychic skullduggery stuff going on.

While the second paragraph is definitely true, there was a bit in ME2 that implied that every species sees the Asari as resembling an idealized form of their own species' women. So there could be some wacky ass psychic skullduggery stuff going on.

Nah we see pictographic representations of the Asari on bar signs and advertisements on Illium. Videos, photos etc are all commonplace, this is the future, you couldn't hide this stuff on such a scale. Unless their giant psychic signal extends across the whole galaxy, this kind of thing would be exposed immediately and it would be common knowledge.

The three bachelor party people were all looking at traits they liked in the Asari, but they were all "real" traits. The Salarian liked their skin, the Turian liked their head tentacles, the human liked the fact that they're 99.99% identical to humans I guess.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nah we see pictographic representations of the Asari on bar signs and advertisements on Illium. Videos, photos etc are all commonplace, this is the future, you couldn't hide this stuff on such a scale. Unless their giant psychic signal extends across the whole galaxy, this kind of thing would be exposed immediately and it would be common knowledge.

The three bachelor party people were all looking at traits they liked in the Asari, but they were all "real" traits. The Salarian liked their skin, the Turian liked their head tentacles, the human liked the fact that they're 99.99% identical to humans I guess.

Yup. It would be an awesome idea but Bioware never actually planned on writing it out (or planned it in the first place). It was just a cop out to explain why they look so human. I'd totally prefer that over an entire species seemingly designed to be wank material for teenagers.

I prefer my alien friends to look human.. maybe because I'm used to comics and Star Trek. I'm not a fan of "monster" aliens.. only if I am supposed to kill them. lol

But I really like the turians and the yahg. Krogan conception is nice, but they all look exactly the same (actually this is something that could be applied for every race). And we could use some "hairy" aliens.

I accept mostly bipedal aliens with tool-using hands for the squadmate species, basically since they reuse the animations and stuff between most species. But in terms of "its a human, with hair tentacles and superpowers" I find that to be a creative dead end. The most visually creative aliens that prominently feature in Trek (as opposed to energy being monsters of the week) are roughly as alien as Turians in terms of them being something you could probably re-create with makeup attached to a human. Trek is limited by TV budgets and needing to use actors, so its a concession you make because otherwise you can't do much of anything.

ME "mostly" has very creative species by comparison to the mostly humans-with-ridges you see in Trek, Stargate, Farscape etc and that's something they can do because of the creative freedom they get by not having to use actors to portray everyone. The Salarians are pretty great, Quarians were "ok" until the face reveal imo. Krogans are pretty good, the visual detail in their faces during talking was amazing for 2007. Obviously you had some awesome mo-cap human faces, but never aliens that looked that good.

Volus, Elcor and Hanar don't get much screen time but are all fun in their own ways.

It wasn't that anyone was angry, this was before ME3 anyways. It was the waifu culture stuff with the rather fanatical enthusiastic adulation of the Tali character. As well as some unfortunate creepiness like the above.
I was about to ask what everyone meant with tali fans being weird, and then I saw bouncyfrag's post and... yeah.

I agree, and I also feel the same about what you said about having her be the romance option. imo she and miranda are the two best ladies to romance. jack is up there too, as is liara, oh shit I named half of them now didn't I haha

Just another notch on the belt that indicates BioWare seemingly had no fucking idea what they were doing with the franchise and Mass Effect 3 in particular. Tali fans are weird, but I like her character because (thanks to Weekes I believe) she has potential for a strong, developed character arc across the trilogy. Like, one of the few characters that grows and changes in a logical way.

But the face thing was just...what. I didn't necessarily feel they needed to reveal, even if a lot of fans wanted it. The mystery of her face (and Quarians in general) was enough that I'm sure a lot of Tali fans had their own idea of her visage, and it's not bad to maintain that mystery. And the thing is...they did. The big climax to the best possible outcome to her quest arc has her take her helmet off on her home planet and still hide her face.

Then no, some weird face reveal that's a shitty, half arsed, uncreative photoshop in a photo frame at the end of a romance arc. It's so weird, like BioWare didn't really know how to treat it, starting with a commitment to the mystery and then at the last minute going "FUCK WE NEED A FACE". Or like an intern decided to photoshop a face and stuck it in.
that is a good point, doing it at rannoch was the opportune moment and I guess they didn't think they'd have to render that face in-game. but whatever they were going for with the human look, would've been pulled off better if they revealed it and show it first in-game.

I accept mostly bipedal aliens with tool-using hands for the squadmate species, basically since they reuse the animations and stuff between most species. But in terms of "its a human, with hair tentacles and superpowers" I find that to be a creative dead end. The most visually creative aliens that prominently feature in Trek (as opposed to energy being monsters of the week) are roughly as alien as Turians in terms of them being something you could probably re-create with makeup attached to a human. Trek is limited by TV budgets and needing to use actors, so its a concession you make because otherwise you can't do much of anything.

ME "mostly" has very creative species by comparison to the mostly humans-with-ridges you see in Trek, Stargate, Farscape etc and that's something they can do because of the creative freedom they get by not having to use actors to portray everyone. The Salarians are pretty great, Quarians were "ok" until the face reveal imo. Krogans are pretty good, the visual detail in their faces during talking was amazing for 2007. Obviously you had some awesome mo-cap human faces, but never aliens that looked that good.

Volus, Elcor and Hanar don't get much screen time but are all fun in their own ways.
I can understand your sentiment, at the same time though personally I feel content with the anatomical makeup and features of the aliens in Mass Effect. I'm assuming this has been expressed multiple times but the notion of "sentient life eventually evolving into humanoid form as it's the most practical and best suited for advanced, complex tasks" to be a fairly believable thought. At least, it's easy for me to suspend my disbelief there.

I can understand your sentiment, at the same time though personally I feel content with the anatomical makeup and features of the aliens in Mass Effect. I'm assuming this has been expressed multiple times but the notion of "sentient life eventually evolving into humanoid form as it's the most practical and best suited for advanced, complex tasks" to be a fairly believable thought. At least, it's easy for me to suspend my disbelief there.
Yeah, I really find strange to imagine the leviathans evolving and building high end technology with their tentacles even if they use something like telekinesis or indocrination on other species. The elcor piloting a ship is also weird to imagine. The humanoid form looks a lot more practical.

Ralemont

not me

There's something of a precedent for the idea, or at least enough that I don't really feel the need to challenge it in a space opera story: Convergent evolution.

Agremont

The Tali face thing was one of the most hilariously bad things I've experienced as a gamer. I still can't believe they did that.

There's something of a precedent for the idea, or at least enough that I don't really feel the need to challenge it in a space opera story: Convergent evolution.

I already said I'm ok with most races being bipedal and using hands for tools and such, it's the specifics that bother me. Like Asari, Quarian having exactly human faces and boobs. Even our closest living relatives on Earth look nothing like us, and other human species of our own past, who were, intelligence and dexterity wise equally viable as space faring civilizations (e.g. Neanderthals) would look hideous on average because of relatively minor differences in face structure. But you expect me to buy that multiple other species would not only have super attractive facial features, but basically look exactly like 21st century white women? That's "nazi humans in space" level of Star Trek plausibility for "convergent evolution".

Convergent evolution produced lions and tigers, which while obviously similar and share huge amounts of their DNA, still look very different. This kind of design for aliens is lazy, and it's very disappointing considering they got so many other species done "right". Quarians have physiological differences like wierd feet and knees, different body proportions etc. Then when they finally reveal their face, surprise, it's a sexy night elf.

giphy.gif

If I believed this was some innocent mistake and the artists didn't think about it, or that there were major reasons they couldn't' do something more interesting, I'd be more forgiving. But we know that Quarian faces were decided on in the contest of Talimancers, and that the Asari were conceived, right from the start, as being love interests. They went crazy overboard with Asari design, not realizing that players would actually get into "more alien" things than that for their characters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, I really find strange to imagine the leviathans evolving and building high end technology with their tentacles even if they use something like telekinesis or indocrination on other species. The elcor piloting a ship is also weird to imagine. The humanoid form looks a lot more practical.

Thats just human bias. Of course we think our form is practical.

I love boobs, but yeah... it doesn't look right in a galactic perspective.

It's not inconceivable that alien species who give live birth would develop glands that function similarly. But it is unlikely that they would wind up looking exactly like a modern person's idealised form of the breast straight out of an issue of playboy.

Thats just human bias. Of course we think our form is practical.

Lol, our form is practical. But you can't expect stuff designed for a human to use it to work with other, radically different species. Instead of some highly creative looking interfaces designed to work with things other than humans, we end up with a series of species that more or less fit a vague "human template" (e.g. roughly similar height, dextrous manipulators like ours, roughly the same body plan).

Which is forgivable if not 100% realistic for practical reasons.

Sirim

I don't get the hate for Mass Effect's alien designs - they were highly original.

There's the squid-head race, the turtle shell race, the insect race, the amphibian race, the elephant race, and even the jellyfish race.

Bioware made Asari the equivalent of green alien women from Star Trek: the fantasy of fucking an alien but it still being close to the human idea of beauty. Bioware also dropped the ball for the Quarians in more way the one. The first was using stock photo for Tali.

The most interesting aliens are the ones with unique biology. The Krogan are hardass murder machines to most, but their eye placement on the side of their heads indicates that they were prey animals. That and their secondary (and tertiary and quaternary) organs indicate they were beings who had to survive before they advanced far enough conquer their planet (and each other).

Salarians are also interesting, since their short lifespans make them more proactive in their actions, but also dangerous haste that betrays their intelligence. For instance, not learning their lesson from uplifting the Krogan to fight the Rachni and starting the Krogan wars, the Salarians were planning to do the same to the Yahg to be their muscle, despite the dangers they pose as learned from the Shadow Broker.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
We end up with human like species because then we can reuse skeletons and animations. Do Elcor or Hanar ever move in Mass Effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom