• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't know?!

Bruh, you've been missing out, the Biotic God is reality.
i did not know, man. i'm guessing this was a late dlc add on.

Everyone have to try Obama Shepard once in their life.
(Not the best Obama, but it does the job.) :p

BSTyXdo.png
that is a good obama. i thought obama right when i saw this pic before reading the text in your post.

there was also a buzz lightyear shepard and a samuel l. jackson
76007.jpg

Samuel_2441c6_1942329.jpg

nel e nel

Doesn't Ugly Shepard have a comic on the BSN forums?

I don't know about a comic, but there was a long running thread of the person playing that build relaying the entire playthrough (with accompanying screenshots) like a dramatic reading. It was pretty funny.

I have a feeling that, if we're ever going to get a next-gen port of the original trilogy, it will be AFTER ME Next comes out. So we might be looking at a 2017 release to see the trilogy again.

Just a hunch.

Vashetti

Banned
It's not what I'd prefer, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point. If we don't hear anything about a trilogy port at E3, then it may be safe to assume this is the case.

They will release the Trilogy remaster to drum up hype for "ME4", same as the MCC collection prior to Halo 5, and presumably the Uncharted collection prior to UC4.

Pretty sure I instakilled the Human Reaper or one of its phases with a lucky shot from the Cain. Although I might be remembering this wrong and have already shot it a bit.

They will release the Trilogy remaster to drum up hype for "ME4", same as the MCC collection prior to Halo 5, and presumably the Uncharted collection prior to UC4.
there have been a few strange cases of a remaster coming after a new installment in the series though. batman arkham remasters announced after the release of arkham 4 and dark souls 2 coming out 3 days from now, but roughly 2~ weeks after bloodborne

with that being said, i'd much rather have a ME remaster first and then Me4

Bombless

The volus were hilariously designed and kinda overpowered (but then most classes were when specced for and played to their strong points). The standing on a crate was pure genius.

The MP team did great work despite the bad environment (terrible connectivity, bugged to hell and back melee system). The early classes were a bit left in the dust for a while but in the end all were fun to play and allowed very different play styles.

I still hope the next game will give us a full melee class with a non shitty melee combat system.

I hope the Paragon/Renegade system is re-designed.

There was some things I didn't like about it. For example, in Mass Effect 2 I disliked how you'd have to almost be forced to play either Paragon or Renegade to save everyone. On my first play-through I didn't do the whole straight to Paragon/Renegade response thing regardless of what was being said... instead I selected the option that I the player was most comfortable with at the time... however this style of playing came with crew loss!

There was some things I didn't like about it. For example, in Mass Effect 2 I disliked how you'd have to almost be forced to play either Paragon or Renegade to save everyone. On my first play-through I didn't do the whole straight to Paragon/Renegade response thing regardless of what was being said... instead I selected the option that I the player was most comfortable with at the time... however this style of playing came with crew loss!

Yup, i wish they made the choices more ambiguous, and stopped color coding everything. Inquisition was a step in the right direction, hopefully they build upon that.

They need to just abandon the system entirely, it adds nothing to the experience. From what I remember, characters don't respond to your reputation, just specific actions. So it's not like it's even an important stat for the game. The persuade systems weren't really very good in any game. I guess ME1 had the "best" but it still wasn't good.

If they want to track reputation, they need to have several stats and track it on a local vs global basis. Some events are known to many people, others are known in a certain area of the game. It does make sense that being a ruthless son of a bitch in some small colony could help you intimidate someone. And betraying someone might make people not trust you. But stuff like killing the Rachni queen in some isolated top secret base isn't going to get out.

Removing the persuade system, or at least toning it down so it doesn't let you resolve impossible situations with a happy ending all the time is necessary IMO.

Sou Da

scrapped* It doesn't belong in this series.

oneils

The custom male faces are so atrociously ugly (the proportions are flat out wrong and don't give you the options to fix them) that it took away all form of immersion for me.

So default Shepard it was.

I'm glad you guys are satisfied with the results you got, but compared to the main characters not a single shepard looks on par with default or characters such as Jack, Liara etc..

Have to agree with this. I ended up with the default shepard on replays. The custom faces just can't compete that well with the other characters.

They need to just abandon the system entirely, it adds nothing to the experience. From what I remember, characters don't respond to your reputation, just specific actions. So it's not like it's even an important stat for the game. The persuade systems weren't really very good in any game. I guess ME1 had the "best" but it still wasn't good.

If they want to track reputation, they need to have several stats and track it on a local vs global basis. Some events are known to many people, others are known in a certain area of the game. It does make sense that being a ruthless son of a bitch in some small colony could help you intimidate someone. And betraying someone might make people not trust you. But stuff like killing the Rachni queen in some isolated top secret base isn't going to get out.

Removing the persuade system, or at least toning it down so it doesn't let you resolve impossible situations with a happy ending all the time is necessary IMO.
yeah, I always thought it was sorta silly how you weren't able to say something in a conversation because you were lacking in a few points of either side of the scale. I didn't dislike the reputation system entirely, but I agree that it may need to be reworked a little more, much moreso than how they somewhat refined it in Me3

wolfhowwl

Banned

Thankfully ME3 phased that out and had everything feed into a common pool that let you choose persuasion options regardless of previous choices. At that point the actual morality alignments were pretty vestigial.

But really they should just drop it altogether. It's dated, feels "videogamey" in a bad way, and the implementation wasn't great either. Paragon was alright but BioWare never really did get a handle on Renegade. ME3 was the most tolerable of the three and probably the closest to what they were aiming for but still defeated by Paragon being the best option anyways.

The persuade options as they were used need to be gone too. Why spend an entire mission or more building up a scenario like Tali's trial and then just let the player bypass the actual dilemma with an instant win button lol.

what the actual fuck?

Thankfully ME3 phased that out and had everything feed into a common pool that let you choose persuasion options regardless of previous choices. At that point the actual morality alignments were pretty vestigial.

But really they should just drop it altogether. It's dated, feels "videogamey" in a bad way, and the implementation wasn't great either. Paragon was alright but BioWare never really did get a handle on Renegade. ME3 was the most tolerable of the three and probably the closest to what they were aiming for but still defeated by Paragon being the best option anyways.

The persuade options as they were used need to be gone too. Why spend an entire mission or more building up a scenario like Tali's trial and then just let the player bypass the actual dilemma with an instant win button lol.

I disliked both to be honest. Mass Effect 2 forced you into 1 direction and I was always playing more lawful neutra/evil (depending on the perspective) but ME3 felt wrong getting the paragon choices when my shepard was more renegade inclined.

I'd have preferred them adding up but only giving you the choice of whatever is stronger at the point

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
But will Faunts return?!

Don't tease me. Not even with the remote implication. M4, Part II is probably my favorite video game song ever... and boy do I have one heckuva list. They could literally just slap them into the credits of ME4 and I'd tear up. I wouldn't even think to question why it's been recycled.

In the words of Aaryn Flynn, "all the feels."

DOWN

Banned
Don't tease me. Not even with the remote implication. M4, Part II is probably my favorite video game song ever... and boy do I have one heckuva list. They could literally just slap them into the credits of ME4 and I'd tear up. I wouldn't even think to question why it's been recycled.

In the words of Aaryn Flynn, "all the feels."
Definitely best licensed song use in a game

They already pretty much scrapped it in ME3 by making it a single bar.
It was confusing to me because through one of my first playthroughs, the renegade and paragon dialogue options were both blacked out during the rannoch mission. I didn't think at that point I'd be devoid of either of those choices and that's what you needed to save both the quarians and the geth

Lexad

I was able to have a quarian/geth and silurian/krogan everyone live run on ME3. Was so satisfying.

I did cheat though because my prior two runs were on 360 and later switched to ps3. I did pick the origin that allows what I did above.

It was confusing to me because through one of my first playthroughs, the renegade and paragon dialogue options were both blacked out during the rannoch mission. I didn't think at that point I'd be devoid of either of those choices and that's what you needed to save both the quarians and the geth

I always disliked that being a possibility.

3rd options are fine but perfect options ruin it.

I always disliked that being a possibility.

3rd options are fine but perfect options ruin it.
you hated having dialogue possibly missing out on dialogue options? then yeah i'm with you.

what 3rd options are you talking about though? and i'm guessing by perfect options you mean the unlocked paragon/renegade decisions?

you hated having dialogue possibly missing out on dialogue options? then yeah i'm with you.

what 3rd options are you talking about though? and i'm guessing by perfect options you mean the unlocked paragon/renegade decisions?

The paragon options felt very out of character, I mean I don't have to choose them but I felt that the system as is lost significance.

Perfect options as in save everyone, everyone is now friends, it was all a misunderstanding, etc.

It takes away from the significance of the other choices almost invalidates them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The paragon options felt very out of character, I mean I don't have to choose them but I felt that the system as is lost significance.

Perfect options as in save everyone, everyone is now friends, it was all a misunderstanding, etc.

It takes away from the significance of the other choices almost invalidates them.
I disagree. It gave the system significance. It made you have to work for the best possible,option in all cases.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I disagree. It gave the system significance. It made you have to work for the best possible,option in all cases.

I think the Paragon/Renegade system has two massive faults, one subjective and one objective.

Subjectively, it's consequenceless auto win. Which to me is just a bit boring when it beats at the heart of a "role playing game", where difficult choices with no perfect outcome are far more intriguing. Frequently, at least from ME2 onwards, Paragon/Renegade choices give you the best possible outcome which, to me, makes dialogue choices in general pretty redundant.

Objectively, I think the way they're designed is such that it's extremely easy to create a domino effect of Paragon/Renegade points where you really don't have to work towards future options. It only becomes a problem if you're playing a mix of Paragon/Renegade, and I figure most players didn't. Save file import combined with pure Paragon or Renegade borderline guaranteed you'd always have enough points for every Paragon/Renegade scenario, earning even more points as you'd continue with this path of role playing.

I know that BioWare isn't really interested in mutually exclusive game states and prefer players see and experience as much content as possible. And the linearity of the series prevents it from being truly branching. But for both my Paragon and Renegade characters the dialogue system became redundant. It was always an option, never locked off, and always the best choice for that arc. Ergo, boring.

To be fair though measurements of good/evil in video games are always a bit clumsy, especially so in games as linear and lite in content diversity as Mass Effect. If they absolutely had to have something I'd prefer less arbitrary Paragon/Renegade and more simply notoriety.

Shredderi

I played with default male Shepard because he was handsome.

But you guys go ahead and play as hideous freaks.

Same here. Couldn't make anything better than default on the male side and I have never had any desire to make a videogame character similar to myself. On the female side I could make some pretty fine looking faces though.

prag16

Banned
Tr6Vn3o.gif

I don't understand people who could be okay picking this over the high quality default male.
Yeah..the first one you quoted isn't TOO bad, but the second one is pretty damn ugly. I tried customizing something when I first started ME1 back in the day, but quickly gave up and went default.

I guess it depends on the character of your shepard himself. paragon was as much out of character as renegade at times, imo. I agree with your last statement though. unless you're trying to build up points of the other reputation it doesn't make sense to pick those options.

I think the Paragon/Renegade system has two massive faults, one subjective and one objective.

Subjectively, it's consequenceless auto win. Which to me is just a bit boring when it beats at the heart of a "role playing game", where difficult choices with no perfect outcome are far more intriguing. Frequently, at least from ME2 onwards, Paragon/Renegade choices give you the best possible outcome which, to me, makes dialogue choices in general pretty redundant.

Objectively, I think the way they're designed is such that it's extremely easy to create a domino effect of Paragon/Renegade points where you really don't have to work towards future options. It only becomes a problem if you're playing a mix of Paragon/Renegade, and I figure most players didn't. Save file import combined with pure Paragon or Renegade borderline guaranteed you'd always have enough points for every Paragon/Renegade scenario, earning even more points as you'd continue with this path of role playing.

I know that BioWare isn't really interested in mutually exclusive game states and prefer players see and experience as much content as possible. And the linearity of the series prevents it from being truly branching. But for both my Paragon and Renegade characters the dialogue system became redundant. It was always an option, never locked off, and always the best choice for that arc. Ergo, boring.

To be fair though measurements of good/evil in video games are always a bit clumsy, especially so in games as linear and lite in content diversity as Mass Effect. If they absolutely had to have something I'd prefer less arbitrary Paragon/Renegade and more simply notoriety.
In my very first playthrough I did nto really distinguish and I just picked whichever choices I felt made the most sense in my head, and then it cost me miranda's loyalty when she had her catfight with jack.

Overall in Me2 I wanted my shepard to be more paragon but I couldn't give up certain renegade choices. then in Me3 from a narrative standpoint I felt renegade made the most sense given there's not much room for empathy when everyone is desperate, and you need to get things done asap. However in Me2, I did exploit the samara loyalty mission paragon when I found out about it. although filling up both of the bars was unnecessary I wanted to be able to have most of paragon and renegade in my system.

Yeah..the first one you quoted isn't TOO bad, but the second one is pretty damn ugly. I tried customizing something when I first started ME1 back in the day, but quickly gave up and went default.
damn. this is makin me kinda sad. I always liked the way my shepard looked, thought he was handsome.

SliChillax

That's not the Vanderloo Shepard though, it's the earlier one before ME came out and it still doesn't change the fact that all custom Shepards are ugly, just because they have a different haircut doesn't make them special.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I like when dialogue is an OPTION, but not the only factor.

ME2 would have been better if you in those sequences where you had to choose between squadmates if you had the opportunity to earn their loyalty back by maybe doing a mini-sidequest or something.

Thats what I liked about Fallout New Vegas so much is that the dialogue (Speech) was merely an additional tool, not something that could screw you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom