• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hahs

With that in mind, I've been lead to believe that Mass Effect 4 is very much, through and through an entirely fresh, new chapter. While big fans like ourselves will naturally question where it occurs in the canon and how it can be tied in, most games like what Mass Effect 4 will likely be do not aim to appease this crowd. Yes, it's the fourth game in the series, but it also might as well be an entirely new entry point for people who've no clue what the franchise is about. Built in such a way that prior knowledge of the series is barely relevant. The fact it is unlikely to be called "Mass Effect 4" is an example of this, much in the same way Human Revolution was not called Deus Ex 3 nor required or demanded series familiarity to enjoy.

...Mass Effect 4 won't be "Mass Effect 4, the continuation of the Mass Effect universe that requires or supplements knowledge from the Shepard trilogy". It'll be a completely fresh start, and it would be unusual for a publisher to push out a content pack limited by last generation design within a 12 month window of a game that will no doubt be pushing the future of the series first and foremost.

Without the 'relays' the trilogy could've easily been called something else. They were canon, and without them I'd like to think that pivotal events would never have taken place. With that said, assuming relays and every sentient species in the galaxy remains dependant upon them, I wouldn't knock a numerical naming convention for the next one. I'm expecting the franchise name to remain obviously, but something colonic - grammatically.

Not to mention playstation owners who never got to experience the trilogy in the proper order as many who have already replied to my question mentioned.
i'm pretty sure i'm the only one who replied about not getting the most out of the trilogy being a playstation gamer. haha

Me3 on 360 outsold the Ps3 version at something like a 4:1 ratio. I think this time around sales will be much more even though.

Speaking of which since it is most likely we will be another Human character, what would be a good strong last name for the character that has some kind of space reference?

Shepard was named after Alan Bartlett Shepard, Jr the first American in outer space, would something like Aldrin or Armstrong work?

Speaking of which since it is most likely we will be another Human character, what would be a good strong last name for the character that has some kind of space reference?

Shepard was named after Alan Bartlett Shepard, Jr the first American in outer space, would something like Aldrin or Armstrong work?
Glenn works too. Nice and simple, 1 syllable.

Sou Da

For the common folk I think this would be too on the nose.

Glenn works too. Nice and simple, 1 syllable.

Too much of a first name to work.

Which becomes a risk for new or returning players. You just like arguing semantics? LOL.

When there are purchases involved it is always a risk, as minimal as it may be.
I'm not arguing semantics here bud, I interpreted their statement as them saying they want to not put a 4 in the title because they want to distance it as much as possible from the original trilogy because creating any links wouldn't be the right thing to do. And I disagree. It's not gonna make me wanna not buy the game but I just don't agree with what they're saying. Obviously though it's their property, they'll do with it what they want & then release it to the public.
Commander Gaffney!

Captain Gaffney!

Lieutenant Gaffney!

Yes this could work.
;)

someone here (probably a few people actually) threw out the idea of them offering to play as different species a la dragon age, so if we play as a non-human, would there be a different last name?

Ralemont

not me
someone here (probably a few people actually) threw out the idea of them offering to play as different species a la dragon age, so if we play as a non-human, would there be a different last name?

They aren't doing that, but if they did I imagine they'd handle it like DA: I where each race has a different last name and background, and everyone just refers to you by your title the majority of the time, or the last name when appropriate.

Oh! How about Sally Ride? She was the first American woman in outer space.

Commander Ride, Captain Ride, Lieutenant Ride?

Maybe Rider for the reference. That is not an uncommon name for a video game protagonist.

Commander Rider? That has some possibilities.

My problem was the forced ridiculousness of the Crucible and how everyone all of the sudden believed it would be the ultimate reaper weapon.

Tuchanka was pretty damn good, Rannoch was good if you didn't think too much about the ridiculousness of that scenario.

The Rachni.....such a shame.

I agree, I always found the concept of "lets build this giant huge super weapon that we have no clue what it will do and point it at the earth in the hopes that it might kill a few things on it!" rediculous. And the rachni...seriously pour one out, that side story was one of my favorite ones in mass effect 1, they were gone in mass effect 2 and extremely underwhelming when they came back in mass effect 3. But Rannoch was awesome.

They aren't doing that, but if they did I imagine they'd handle it like DA: I where each race has a different last name and background, and everyone just refers to you by your title or your last name in more infrequent amounts.
do we know that for sure? Personally I would like it if they kept it as us just playing as a human, and allow us to toy around with his/her background

do we know that for sure? Personally I would like it if they kept it as us just playing as a human, and allow us to toy around with his/her background

I think it would make more sense to just play as Humans again, and then the other races in the multiplayer mode like ME3.

Narratively, ME is about humans' ventures and contact with other species in space. We so far have seen the male and female human armors for the new character. So my best bet would be restraining the character to just being Human.

I think it would make more sense to just play as Humans again, and then the other races in the multiplayer mode like ME3.

Narratively, ME is about humans' ventures and contact with other species in space. We so far have seen the male and female human armors for the new character. So my best bet would be restraining the character to just being Human.
yeah, ralemont went ahead and posted a confirmation from bioware that we will indeed be playing as a human in campaign.

i'm hoping the games include multiplayer from here on out, though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On another note, I consider Deus Ex Human Revolution to have the greatest soundtrack of all time. It played a huge role in making it one of my favorite games from last gen.

I actually think Michael McCann could make a fantastic soundtrack for Mass Effect.

DOWN

Banned
On another note, I consider Deus Ex Human Revolution to have the greatest soundtrack of all time. It played a huge role in making it one of my favorite games from last gen.

I actually think Michael McCann could make a fantastic soundtrack for Mass Effect.

The track from the Deus Ex Human Revolution trailer was brilliant. Helped make it what I would consider the best game trailer made to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0af2wvSdwwI

diaspora

True, but numbered sequels carry the connotation of the continuation of a story, which is why BioWare shies from it when they can to attract new players (this is why Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't have a 3 in it).
Inquisition is just a matter of being almost a rebrand of sorts. The story is very much a continuation of 1 and 2.

DOWN

Banned
Inquisition is just a matter of being almost a rebrand of sorts. The story is very much a continuation of 1 and 2.
Dragon Age consciously separates each entry so far. You aren't the same character and reference to past events is not done in a way that's hard to follow. I'd say Dragon Age Inquisition shares its setting with the other two, but it is its own story arc unlike Mass Effect's direct sequels.

if Me4 is the start of a new trilogy, i'm sure whoever the new protagonist is going to be, is supposed to hold up the same vitality to the story that shepard did yeah? so i see nothing with it being named Me4. and yes I know bioware already stated that it won't be named that, I'm just saying whatever - I don't agree with their reasoning for doing so. I'll be interested in this game whatever they title it.

Prologue

I was in bed going to sleep last night, and the arrival mission failure screen crossed my mind. The whole thing was creepy, and some parts of it were disturbing, but there also parts that the indoctrination documentary did not really touch upon.

For instance, this looks like the table in the middle of the crew's quarters level of the normandy, only I can't tell what it is there at the table, if I were to take a guess, they look like keepers
arrival%203.png

there are shots of our whole entire crew, squadmates and crewmen both, all along a view of illium. but the weird part is, the illusive man is here too, and he also appears to be the only one that moves slightly before the next frame.
arrival%202.png

and the next frame reveals that...everybody was waiting for the arrival of the reapers, creepy. unless they're all indoctrinated somehow, I wonder what this is all supposed to mean.
arrival%201.png

arrival%204_1.png

alright, so perhaps not all of your crew were there, but it's strange they picked the ones they did including the illusive man.

yeah man, and I really liked the game too (minus the combat). I had 1 Me1-->Me2 playthrough, don't even know if I finished it but I noticed a few differences, which were that asari chick who was on virmire who also showed up in grunt's recruitment mission, and that other chick who was trying to shakedown the merchant asari on illium.

in all of my playthroughs I didn't miss out on most of the big decisions because of the genesis comic, but obviously you don't get the full experience without playing the first game.

right, meaning that narratively tali's mission was more important than the two fights among your squadmates. same principle applies though, you lose something if you pick the wrong choice.

where are these screen shots from?

Will never happen but I dare Bioware to name the protagonist after Kalpana Chawla or some other Non-White Astronaut who worked for NASA or other space organization. Realistically, having KC (Casey!) as a companion name wouldn't be too far out

This is fantastic. Thanks for posting this.

See? I am capable of being nice to you.
you're welcome.
and like i've told you numerous times already, we both want the same thing and have more in common than you give credit for. so there's no need for you to be so....mean to me all the time!
where are these screen shots from?
the arrival mission failure (if you let the timer clock out)
Will never happen but I dare Bioware to name the protagonist after Kalpana Chawla or some other Non-White Astronaut who worked for NASA or other space organization. Realistically, having KC (Casey!) as a companion name wouldn't be too far out
you know what, I think that would be fantastic. but i never see them doing something like this. i mean hey, they may not even name the next protagonist after an astronaut/astronomical affiliated real life figure at all this time around. who knows. i'm all for commander gaffney though :D

whew, finally finished the trilogy last night, so i can finally check in on this thread. i think i must have downloaded the extended cut because i didnt get the three button prompt to choose an ending. i had to walk in one of three directions instead. does that sound right?

Honestly, Inquisition is a very much weird one in that it's mostly a sequel to a DLC, and less so the first two games.

which dlc? i played origins and some of its dlc, but havent played 2 or anything having to do with it.

Patryn

whew, finally finished the trilogy last night, so i can finally check in on this thread. i think i must have downloaded the extended cut because i didnt get the three button prompt to choose an ending. i had to walk in one of three directions instead. does that sound right?

It was always that way. The extended cut only adds a little more dialogue to the Starchild and then adds some scenes after you make your choice.

which dlc? i played origins and some of its dlc, but havent played 2 or anything having to do with it.

Technically, it could be considered spoilery so I'll tag it:
Dragon Age 2's Legacy DLC

diaspora

Dragon Age consciously separates each entry so far. You aren't the same character and reference to past events is not done in a way that's hard to follow. I'd say Dragon Age Inquisition shares its setting with the other two, but it is its own story arc unlike Mass Effect's direct sequels.
The blight in DAO is what sets DA2 into motion by forcing the Hawkes back to Kirkwall, Hawke and Anders (fucked up from Awakening) lead into a chaotic war that's central to DA3. Red lyrium from DA2 also continued in DA3. Not being the same character doesn't mean much, it's a saga spanning a wide array of heroes, but I'd still say they're story sequels.

red lyrium is pre-tevinter, Flemeth and the old gods story continued from DAO and DA2. Not lose connections. There's a story arc here.

As for ME4, the idea of exploring the space frontier sounds absolutely amazing to me.

yes. this was your first playthrough of the trilogy?

what did you think of the ending?

I'd suggest Tereshkova as a name, but I guess the surname really needs to be gender neutral

Yes, it will probably be neutral.

I wait for the day when games will recognize the name/surname we type and the NPC will pronounce it correctly in game. Google already does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom