• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Which game? Don't recall that.

Yeah, I don't recall that either. If it is a phonecall, they have pretty much no choice but to use Shepard, unless the mother avoids using a proper name at all and says something like, son. If it is an email, then that would've been another opportunity to use the first name you gave your Shepard.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No, there's at least one call that can be made during the standard play through so long as Shepard is not an orphan.

You get a call from your mother in ME1 if I remember, from some Citadel sidequest. It's been a while, but I don't remember her calling you "Shepard". Just "son" or "dear", or whatever.

I think Jade Empire was the last Bio game to not have canon surnames.
Two of the three Dragon Age games forgo using surnames for the main characters and since your familial background is dependent on race and class, it's very subjective as there isn't a "true canon" Warden or Inquisitor.

Two of the three Dragon Age games forgo using surnames for the main characters and since your familial background is dependent on race and class, it's very subjective as there isn't a "true canon" Warden or Inquisitor.

Not so; both DAO and DAI have canon surnames; people just default to your title

Daemul

You get a call from your mother in ME1 if I remember, from some Citadel sidequest. It's been a while, but I don't remember her calling you "Shepard". Just "son" or "dear", or whatever.

I could be wrong then, she does call you something though, probably dear and son.

If they do remaster ME1, I'd only want one substantial (i.e., non-graphical) change: allowing duplicate items to stack in the inventory menu. It was a pain scrolling through twenty lines of "Polonium VII"; just give me an entry that says "Polonium VII x20."

Thanks, I'm not surprised it's ME1 since I've "only" played through it twice compared to the others games (4+).
it feels like I've played through Me2 20 times. I was so obsessed with making the right choices and not missing a beat, I'd often restart checkpoints to go back and change what I did or said.

has everyone seen this? is it just a fanart?
fa7195674d832bf095057ff46eec6da3_large.jpg

Not so; both DAO and DAI have canon surnames; people just default to your title
But they are not really canon because your race and position (which determines your surname) is chosen at the beginning, so there is no "canon" Warden or Inquisitor. Like technically the Circle Mage Warden is a cousin of Hawke, but it doesn't really matter if don't choose that origin. Shepards and Hawkes are always Shepards and Hawkes, but Warden and Inquisitors can be Amells, Couslands, Tryevelyans, or even a number of different races. To say those surnames are canon is like saying Shepard is a canon colonist war hero, or an earth-born survivor, because they hold the same position in those games.

But they are not really canon because your race and position (which determines your surname) is chosen at the beginning, so there is no "canon" Warden or Inquisitor. Like technically the Circle Mage Warden is a cousin of Hawke, but it doesn't really matter if don't choose that origin. Shepards and Hawkes are always Shepards and Hawkes, but Warden and Inquisitors can be Amells, Couslands, Tryevelyans, or even a number of different races. To say those surnames are canon is like saying Shepard is a canon colonist war hero, or an earth-born survivor, because they hold the same position in those games.
I don't think we have to even call it "canon". People debate whether or not things like liara as a romance option or the arrival dlc as being canon or not, but shepard's name is shepard. it's not just canon, it's just there, it's not something to be debated, you know

I don't think we have to even call it "canon". People debate whether or not things like liara as a romance option or the arrival dlc as being canon or not, but shepard's name is shepard. it's not just canon, it's just there, it's not something to be debated, you know
I know, I'm just saying that perhaps who or whatever the protagonist might be in ME4, they may go the direction of referring to him by title or rank rather than referring to him by a given surname.

I know, I'm just saying that perhaps who or whatever the protagonist might be in ME4, they may go the direction of referring to him by title or rank rather than referring to him by a given surname.
oh. eh, i'm not sure I would like that. in the trilogy you often have people calling you commander too but that's not what you'll hear the whole time. so I'd want pretty much the same for the new protagonist. that's just me though.

So this past month I've beaten ME 1, 2, and 3. I just finished the last game and I kind of found it underwhelming in all aspects compared to the first two games. Overall, I find the second game to be the better of the bunch.

What I liked about the first game is that I wanted to learn more about the game, characters, and, well, everything, so I read the codex constantly. When I started 2, I really didn't use it that much because I already knew much about the things that were listed there. I don't know what I'm really trying to say here but it's like the second and third game couldn't replicate that, y'know? For that reason, I'm still not quite sure which game has the better story (Between 1 & 2). It was hard at times to play through the game because it's not a technical masterpiece. Hopefully EA gets around to remaking the game for current gen.

I really like the second game because of better game play (frame-rate was sooo bad in #1), more team mates, and loyal missions that gave a back story for each character. At the end of the game, I really cared about who died because I was connected to each of them. That sounds kind of lame, but after 40+ hours you just get attached to things. Plus, the ending felt like everyone was in this together.

Now...number 3. I hate to say it, though I'll go ahead and do it, this game isn't up to par with the others. Right off the bat what I didn't like? I couldn't holster my weapon. And I heard they said it was because they ran out of memory? Are you kidding me? Anyway, I'm disappointed at how many teammates I had. Tali died from my import, so that left me with 5 characters in the end (I didn't get the DLC). I expected more...Oh yeah, and the amount of side missions they give at the beginning is ridiculous! It didn't help that there was little to no organization in the journal. Speaking of which, the side missions sucked ass. Basically scan a planet and come back and bring it to me. Yeah I'm not doing that. Which is why I only managed to get a little more than 2000 effective military so I didn't have the chance to select the third ending. And to wrap this up shortly, the ending could have been so much better. I now know why the internet blew up when this game came out and I don't blame them.

I just wanted to put down my thoughts on this series. I love Mass Effect and I can't wait for the 4th game to come out.

So this past month I've beaten ME 1, 2, and 3. I just finished the last game and I kind of found it underwhelming in all aspects compared to the first two games. Overall, I find the second game to be the better of the bunch.

What I liked about the first game is that I wanted to learn more about the game, characters, and, well, everything, so I read the codex constantly. When I started 2, I really didn't use it that much because I already knew much about the things that were listed there. I don't know what I'm really trying to say here but it's like the second and third game couldn't replicate that, y'know? For that reason, I'm still not quite sure which game has the better story (Between 1 & 2). It was hard at times to play through the game because it's not a technical masterpiece. Hopefully EA gets around to remaking the game for current gen.

I really like the second game because of better game play (frame-rate was sooo bad in #1), more team mates, and loyal missions that gave a back story for each character. At the end of the game, I really cared about who died because I was connected to each of them. That sounds kind of lame, but after 40+ hours you just get attached to things. Plus, the ending felt like everyone was in this together.

Now...number 3. I hate to say it, though I'll go ahead and do it, this game isn't up to par with the others. Right off the bat what I didn't like? I couldn't holster my weapon. And I heard they said it was because they ran out of memory? Are you kidding me? Anyway, I'm disappointed at how many teammates I had. Tali died from my import, so that left me with 5 characters in the end (I didn't get the DLC). I expected more...Oh yeah, and the amount of side missions they give at the beginning is ridiculous! It didn't help that there was little to no organization in the journal. Speaking of which, the side missions sucked ass. Basically scan a planet and come back and bring it to me. Yeah I'm not doing that. Which is why I only managed to get a little more than 2000 effective military so I didn't have the chance to select the third ending. And to wrap this up shortly, the ending could have been so much better. I now know why the internet blew up when this game came out and I don't blame them.

I just wanted to put down my thoughts on this series. I love Mass Effect and I can't wait for the 4th game to come out.
This sums up how I felt as well. And this was your first time playing through the whole trilogy as well?

It's not lame. There would not have been a riot on the trilogy ending if the vast majority of ME fans didn't have an emotional investment in the game. I'd say one of my only gripes of Me2 was that loyalty missions were pretty much the whole game. There were only like 3 story missions (horizon, derelict reaper, empty collector base).

And you named a lot of what I didn't like about Me3 (and I disliked a lot, a lot, a lot of stuff from that game). Speaking of the ending, I knew one or two people who didn't mind it that much and they played Me2 and Me3 over like, one weekend. He didn't really have the emotional attachment you get from playing through the game and getting to know the characters and what not.

i-Lo

So is the 1080p collection inevitable? I wouldn't mind double dipping if it came packed with ALL the DLC, especially for the third one with Javik. To this day, I firmly believe that making him a part of paid DLC when his character felt so fundamental to the overall understanding of the world of ME was terrible decision which perhaps epitomized the corporate greed.

As angryjoe once so eloquently surmised: "because fuck you give me money".

I really hope that Bioware learns from it.

So is the 1080p collection inevitable?
No. We don't have any solid evidence that they're going to make one, although BioWare's general manger dropped into the thread and asked what we'd want out of a remaster if they made one. Maybe we'll get something at E3; if they don't tell us about a remaster there, I don't think it's coming.

So is the 1080p collection inevitable? I wouldn't mind double dipping if it came packed with ALL the DLC, especially for the third one with Javik. To this day, I firmly believe that making him a part of paid DLC when his character felt so fundamental to the overall understanding of the world of ME was terrible decision which perhaps epitomized the corporate greed.

i think the worst part of it was that the javik content was on the disc but locked and not playable until you pay for it as dlc

prag16

Banned
i think the worst part of it was that the javik content was on the disc but locked and not playable until you pay for it as dlc
At least on PC Javik was a sizable download. Some bits and pieces and placeholders were found on disc, yes, but it wasn't truly disc locked content on the whole.

I agree. I decided to have Javik in my party during the entirety of my ME3 playthrough, and it felt like he was written specifically to be in all of those situations. Moreso than any other crew member.

Sou Da

Eh, they did but albeit to an extreme. According to Gaider they're done with DLC party members all together.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, this past year has been all teasing and no actual end product. Come on, Bioware. I'm ready.
Is it just me or does Bioware do WAY more trolling/teasing than any other dev...

Saw a ton of this type of stuff with DA:I too iirc and that's a game I was barely even following prerelease.

DOWN

Banned
It would be fine if they were releasing screenshots like we started getting with Inquisition, but considering they haven't even done the official announcement, it's painful.

BokehKing

Banned
gotcha. And I wouldn't know about any of that stuff anyway. I picked vanguard as my class thinking it was gonna be as cool as it was in Me2, but it wasn't. I heard adept was the most fun class to play.
The mp taught me that all the classes were bad ass and equally as much fun/powerful
Ended up playing through the campaign several times with all different classes..

Speaking of
Wish Bio Ware would give us a ME3 mp to play while we wait for the new installment.

What if Mass Effect next was all along an insane remaster of the trilogy

shyamalan4.jpg
na... I could get behind that but that's definitely not what it is because of the little footage they've shown, we already know it's the next installment.
The mp taught me that all the classes were bad ass and equally as much fun/powerful
Ended up playing through the campaign several times with all different classes..

Speaking of
Wish Bio Ware would give us a ME3 mp to play while we wait for the new installment.
? did they take away servers/support for Me3 mp or something?

and yeah, I'm not sure if I'd wanna be playing through the whole campaign in all the games from trying out different classes in mp, but I did have a hell of a lot of fun playing as classes I never did in single player. Infiltrator, to be exact.

At least on PC Javik was a sizable download. Some bits and pieces and placeholders were found on disc, yes, but it wasn't truly disc locked content on the whole.
Was it the same case on 360/Ps3? If not, as long as there is one port with it on disc, then the fault still applies imo.

One thing I've always wondered about ME3 is how they messed up the Journal/Quest Log so bad. It was absolutely fine in the first 2, no idea why they would suddenly make it worse in 3.

The worst part is that Javik was clearly intended to have a much greater role in the game, but that went to hell once he became DLC.
there's that too, yeah. I remember way back during launch there was a rumor that his role in the game was gonna be much more along the lines of what liara's role was (introducing & helping management of crucible), but then he was changed as a dlc character and liara was given said role.

Daemul

Oh Lord, I tried continuing my Adept save in ME3 tonight on my 360 and there was much suffering. I have become so used to never having to use the tactical wheel in MP that the constant pauses in SP have become annoying and distracting, its the reason why I started to mainly play as the Soldier class in SP, you rarely have to use the damn wheel and you can keep the action going.

The lack of hotkeys on consoles makes power focused classes annoying to play, caster Shepards just have way too many powers yo, its a pain to try and use them all on consoles. Fuck it, back to my Soldier Shepard I go.

Speaking of

??????

Just load up ME3 mp on your PC/PS360, there's still loads of people playing, I myself played a a few hours of it a couple of nights ago. I had actually managed to forget just how cheap the Geth are on Platinum, Geth Wave 2 is complete bullshit, only beaten in cheapness by Collectors Wave 10.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Javik is to ME3 as Legion is to ME2: arguably the best written, at least most lore important, regressed to low priority to the point of being optional in favour of more humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom