• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It's a non-standard game-over that you see If you die during the final part of Arrival.

Nice
IT CONFIRMED, YOU ARE INDOCTRINATED.

In other news, this is the most nervous I've ever been before an E3... heck, I've never been nervous before an E3 haha...

Fallout 4 / ME4 / ME Remastered...if these are all announced officially, I may very well implode on the spot.
If just Fallout 4 and ME4 get decent trailers, there is still a 50/50 chance of implosion.
If just one of the 3 mentioned get a decent trailer... it's what I probably, disappointingly, expect to see.

...If none, I may rage quit gaming altogether :D

Nice

In other news, this is the most nervous I've ever been before an E3... heck, I've never been nervous before an E3 haha...

Fallout 4 / ME4 / ME Remastered...if these are all announced officially, I may very well implode on the spot.
If just Fallout 4 and ME4 get decent trailers, there is still a 50/50 chance of implosion.
If just one of the 3 mentioned get a decent trailer... it's what I probably, disappointingly, expect to see.

lol, why the feels to get nervous at all man?

and yeah. with that other thread reinforcing rumors of a nathan drake collection, looks like it'll be possible that i'll have two remastered trilogies on my hands at the end of the year

Nice
It's been three years, man. Give it up.
This hurts you.

I'm not nervous at all, because I expect absolutely nothing of interest--besides some info on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, since it was revealed so close to E3, meaning we'll probably get some new info on it. Go in with no expectations, and you can't be disappointed. I have no idea how those deluded hopeful Last Guardian and Half-Life 3 people are still sane.
They're not.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's been three years, man. Give it up.
This hurts you.

I'm not nervous at all, because I expect absolutely nothing of interest--besides some info on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, since it was revealed so close to E3, meaning we'll probably get some new info on it. Go in with no expectations, and you can't be disappointed. I have no idea how those deluded hopeful Last Guardian and Half-Life 3 people are still sane.
They're not.

Since this will be Bethesdas first E3. It's impossible to not have expectations. Impossible.

EA has never met my expectations and I do not expect them to do so here.

Ralemont

not me
whew, finally finished the trilogy last night, so i can finally check in on this thread. i think i must have downloaded the extended cut because i didnt get the three button prompt to choose an ending. i had to walk in one of three directions instead. does that sound right?

You always have to walk, EC or not. If you got dialogue wheels during the convo with the Catalyst and epilogue pictures with voice-over then you had the EC installed.

which dlc? i played origins and some of its dlc, but havent played 2 or anything having to do with it.

Legacy, but only in respects to who the main villain is.

Inquisition is just a matter of being almost a rebrand of sorts. The story is very much a continuation of 1 and 2.

The branding was my point: BioWare didn't want the perception to be that you couldn't jump in with Inquisition, whether or not that was actually the case. And I agree about the story: it's probably easier to understand a Mass Effect 3 default playthrough without playing the first 2 than an Inquisition default playthrough, largely because the story is so tied up with centuries of lore.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
lol, why the feels to get nervous at all man?

and yeah. with that other thread reinforcing rumors of a nathan drake collection, looks like it'll be possible that i'll have two remastered trilogies on my hands at the end of the year

I'd post naked if we got an Uncharted trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy AND a Bethesda collection (Fallout 3/New Vegas/Skyrim).

nel e nel

Will never happen but I dare Bioware to name the protagonist after Kalpana Chawla or some other Non-White Astronaut who worked for NASA or other space organization. Realistically, having KC (Casey!) as a companion name wouldn't be too far out

Many of the ships, planets, and space stations are named this way in the ME universe.

Many of the ships, planets, and space stations are named this way in the ME universe.
it's obviously not the same as giving the protagonist, the main character, a name like that though.

speaking of names, I wish during the extended cut, the placard that Liara posted on the crewdeck wall of the normandy had your shepard's first & last name instead of "commander shepard". that seemed like the time to have the first name you give your shepard matter.

it's not a big deal, just another little thing.

Will we even be getting a canon surname this time around though? They might just go back to the route they went from DA2 to DA:I, so we might be "Commander" or whatever.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Will we even be getting a canon surname this time around though? They might just go back to the route they went from DA2 to DA:I, so we might be "Commander" or whatever.

Hopefully not. It's hard to imagine everything that happens in ME1-2-3 if everybody would call you Commander all the time instead of Shepard, even your close friends/squadmates or whoever you romance.

Mindlog

This seems most likely. The completely unsubstantiated rumors that we're going to be allowed to choose our race would be best served with a title.

Early guess: 'Hunter.' Hunters are pretty hot right now. Also, Spectre.

Wulfram

The Dragon Age games still have canon surnames, they just vary based on origin/background and aren't used as much.

edit: Howsabout Gorot II Heranon Mal Dinest Got Inoste [insert given name here]?

This seems most likely. The completely unsubstantiated rumors that we're going to be allowed to choose our race would be best served with a title.

Early guess: 'Hunter.' Hunters are pretty hot right now. Also, Spectre.
I thought it was already established that we would be undoubtedly playing as a human

Bisnic

Shit, really?
Haven't been keeping up on the rumors.
New rumor: Mass Effect delayed to include alien player characters.

They revealed some concept art of our "hero" gear last summer if I remember. Don't think there was any alien races shown wearing it. :p

Bit of a controversial question, but I am currently debating replaying the trilogy, have all three games on PC. I've played through ME1 three times, and ME2 twice, ME3 once so far. Want to run through ME3 again and will probably pick up all the DLC along the way primarily, but have the itch at least to run through 2 as well.

Anyway, the million dollar question, time is at a premium these days. Do I go back and replay ME1 too or jump right into 2 and go from there? Not sure how much of the original's jankiness and inventory nonsense I can put up with to be honest, even though I love the world, lore and story.

diaspora

Bit of a controversial question, but I am currently debating replaying the trilogy, have all three games on PC. I've played through ME1 three times, and ME2 twice, ME3 once so far. Want to run through ME3 again and will probably pick up all the DLC along the way primarily, but have the itch at least to run through 2 as well.

Anyway, the million dollar question, time is at a premium these days. Do I go back and replay ME1 too or jump right into 2 and go from there? Not sure how much of the original's jankiness and inventory nonsense I can put up with to be honest, even though I love the world, lore and story.
Jump into 2 IMO.

Ralemont

not me
I'd go right into 2, but I'm someone who already knows he can't put up with ME1's gameplay bullshit, since I abandoned a playthrough 2 months ago about 5 hours in precisely because of it.

Different classes can have different back stories and surnames even if human only.
yeah, I wasn't disputing that. that's the way ME has been, minus the varying surnames.

I don't see how that's controversial, but if I were you, why not start with Me1? If what you're wanting to do is to just start a whole nother playthrough of the whole story. But yeah, if the mechanics of Me1 bothers you that much and you have the comic, go with Me2, especially if that's your favorite in the series.

Bisnic

I don't mind replaying ME1 despite its shitty inventory, clunky combat, repetitive barren planets and bouncy Mako, because the story, soundtrack and overall atmosphere is just great(plus, it wouldn't feel right to start a new trilogy run by skipping the first game), but yeah... if you can't handle those issues, you're better off starting with ME2.

Patryn

If you don't like it, skip ME1.

Me? I'm much more likely to replay ME1 than any of the others. I keep doing it. Can't help myself.

Always has to be a 100 percent run, as well. Gotta get ALL the minerals...

Someone refresh my memory, how do you set up your world state on PC if you jump right into 2?

I am debating either just blowing through ME1 on easy or just jumping right into ME2. The thread on the controller mod is making me eager for another run through.

Bisnic

Me? I'm much more likely to replay ME1 than any of the others. I keep doing it. Can't help myself.

Ok, that's just crazy. Now, if you tell me you also always scan all planets until they're depleted in ME2, i'm gonna put you in a "don't talk to him again" list. :p

hey, I know it's been said that the most a possible ME remaster will be is 1080p/60fps, but is it possible they could replace the heat-based combat in Me1 with thermal clips?

Patryn

hey, I know it's been said that the most a possible ME remaster will be is 1080p/60fps, but is it possible they could replace the heat-based combat in Me1 with thermal clips?

Would absolutely destroy the balance of the game. I would fucking HATE that change.

Ok, that's just crazy. Now, if you tell me you also always scan all planets until they're depleted in ME2, i'm gonna put you in a "don't talk to him again" list. :p

Fuck mineral scanning. I do enough that my meters are full, and that's it.

And I guess I misspoke a little. General rule is that I make sure I find at least 2 mineral deposits per planet, and that I finish the sidequest. So I don't necessarily find EVERY mineral in the game...

Honestly? At this point I actually vaguely remember where most of the deposits are. It's kind of freaky.

Someone refresh my memory, how do you set up your world state on PC if you jump right into 2?

I am debating either just blowing through ME1 on easy or just jumping right into ME2. The thread on the controller mod is making me eager for another run through.
the genesis comic didn't release for PC?

Would absolutely destroy the balance of the game. I would fucking HATE that change.
you liked the heat based combat more than the thermal clips?

Ralemont

not me

Fwiw an ME1 speedrun takes under 10 hours.

Mindlog

you liked the heat based combat more than the thermal clips?
The system dictated most of their balance decisions. It would take a lot of work to implement.
Easiest way would be to throw in a new weapon. Lancer and Collector weapons were pretty fun in the later games.

Gibbed.

ME1 is balanced around heat-based.

Similarly, I think changing ME2 and ME3 to heat based would ruin those games, as they're balanced for thermal clips.
alright. I was just asking if you think it's possible that they could do that for a Me1 remaster.
The system dictated most of their balance decisions. It would take a lot of work to implement.
Easiest way would be to throw in a new weapon. Lancer and Collector weapons were pretty fun in the later games.

Gibbed.
well, there was that one prothean gun in Me3.

Patryn

alright. I was just asking if you think it's possible that they could do that for a Me1 remaster.

Not without rebalancing the whole game. We're talking rethinking almost every encounter, arena, boss fight, etc. Possibly changing the geometry, types of enemies, number, etc.

The effort to do such would mean they might as well tear it all down and completely remake the game.

Not without rebalancing the whole game. We're talking rethinking almost every encounter, arena, boss fight, etc. Possibly changing the geometry, types of enemies, number, etc.

The effort to do such would mean they might as well tear it all down and completely remake the game.
OK. so that pretty much rules it out.

it's not worth it anyway. I only experienced it once but from my memory, the heat-based combat wasn't that bad.

Patryn

OK. so that pretty much rules it out.

it's not worth it anyway. I only experienced it once but from my memory, the heat-based combat wasn't that bad.

Oh, they'd also have to rebalance the powers. Because how does Marksman work now that it doesn't mitigate heat? Carnage? Etc.

Not to mention all the gun mods that affect heat consumption.

What about the High Explosive rounds? They balance their high damage against higher heat; Should they cost more ammo then?

Just pointing out the far-reaching consequences of changing something more than cosmetic.

Oh, they'd also have to rebalance the powers. Because how does Marksman work now that it doesn't mitigate heat? Carnage? Etc.

Not to mention all the gun mods that affect heat consumption.

What about the High Explosive rounds? They balance their high damage against higher heat; Should they cost more ammo then?

Just pointing out the far-reaching consequences of changing something more than cosmetic.
gotcha. And I wouldn't know about any of that stuff anyway. I picked vanguard as my class thinking it was gonna be as cool as it was in Me2, but it wasn't. I heard adept was the most fun class to play.

Daemul

I don't care about surnames, I want canon first names. Having your friends, romance and even your own mother call you by your surname in Mass Effect completely destroys immersion.

Bisnic

gotcha. And I wouldn't know about any of that stuff anyway. I picked vanguard as my class thinking it was gonna be as cool as it was in Me2, but it wasn't. I heard adept was the most fun class to play.

Infiltrator in ME1 with a sniper rifle that has explosive round is the best. Can almost one shot every regular soldiers/mercenaries(except Krogans) and when they die, they almost fly! You don't see enemies fly with sniper rifles in ME2 & 3.

Only problem is your sniper rifle will always overheat if you shoot twice in a row.

I don't care about surnames, I want canon first names. Having your friends, romance and even your own mother call you by your surname in Mass Effect completely destroys immersion.

I actually know some people who go exclusively by their last name. It's weird, but I can suspend disbelief IRL, so I can manage it in a game :p

DOWN

Banned

I don't recall the mother calling him Shepard, but your peers could easily call you by your surname. Not only is that common as a nickname, but it is almost convention among combatant and military groups on film.

Infiltrator in ME1 with a sniper rifle that has explosive round is the best. Can almost one shot every regular soldiers/mercenaries(except Krogans) and when they die, they almost fly! You don't see enemies fly with sniper rifles in ME2 & 3.

Only problem is your sniper rifle will always overheat if you shoot twice in a row.
Ah, I only played infiltrator once, briefly. That sounds pretty cool. How much of an impact did it make on Me3?
I don't recall the mother calling him Shepard, but your peers could easily call you by your surname. Not only is that common as a nickname, but it is almost convention among combatant and military groups on film.
the mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom