• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

I think it will be in Mass Effect 4. There is just this identity that the Citadel has associated with Mass Effect as whole. Without it it just seems it would be missing something. Every time I think of ME the Citadel comes into mind.

As I said, I really honestly believe it won't. For a reason why, look at Shinobi's post.

All indications is that this will be set elsewhere, possibly during the timeframe of ME3. The Citadel has no place in the game if that's true.

Lakitu

st5fu
Around showing that footage they talk about nothing but visiting new places, exploring a new region of space. You were on Tuchanka in both ME2 and ME3, it's highly unlikely that Tuchanka will be in ME4.

Look at it though. That just screams Tuchanka to me, the wreckage, the destroyed bridge, the Krogan. But it's probably some in-engine mock-up thing like Patryn says.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The Citadel has to be in Mass Effect 4. It's centre of intergalactic politics and was one the very first places you visit in ME1. I literally cannot even comprehend a ME game without the citadel.

I have a genuinely tougher time imagining the next Mass Effect with the Citadel than without it.

As I said, I really honestly believe it won't. For a reason why, look at Shinobi's post.

All indications is that this will be set elsewhere, possibly during the timeframe of ME3. The Citadel has no place in the game if that's true.

It's been hinted but, we don't really know what the timeframe of ME4 will exactly be. We are told of a new galaxy but also visiting familiar places. It's basically of webs of "what-ifs".

Also can you direct me to the particular Shinobi's post?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
99% probabilty ME4 takes place almost if not exclusively in another galaxy.

I think potentially it'll crop up as the post-opener. Big bang opener of some description, then back to somewhere safe (the Citadel?) for your mission. Then you're given your "leave the known galaxy," mission, and the game kicks off proper. Basically, I think it could fill the same role as the Cerberus Base in ME2. I don't see it being somewhere you can walk around.

The one two posts up from your post.

See:

Ah I thought you were referring to a post further back in the forum. Though this article made me remember "http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/latest-mass-effect-4-juicy-details/" the post where he detailed that information.
I just forgot about it.

Still hoping for the Citadel though!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Don't forget.

B2VxIxaCQAAB5Jq.jpg

The new galaxy could have a Citadel in it. It could be a galaxy that the Reapers have recently reaped, leaving no advanced civilisations but plenty of enigmatic ruins. Perfect for exploration and colonisation.

yeah, after having watched it again there do seem to be quite a few implications that this'll be a new galaxy.

But as others have stated, there's still so much to be explored still right in the milky way. Going to a new galaxy would be unnecessary.

Well wherever ME4 is being set we are bound to find out come E3.

Patryn

The new galaxy could have a Citadel in it. It could be a galaxy that the Reapers have recently reaped, leaving no advanced civilisations but plenty of enigmatic ruins. Perfect for exploration and colonisation.

I'd rather they leave the Reapers behind entirely.

I'd love to see a galaxy that has developed without the Reaper influence.

One thing I've wondered about the whole "reapers reside in dark space" thing is, are they supposed to be filling all the voids around galaxies that exist? and they invade whichever galaxy is closest to their hibernation area?

Patryn

One thing I've wondered about the whole "reapers reside in dark space" thing is, are they supposed to be filling all the voids around galaxies that exist? and they invade whichever galaxy is closest to their hibernation area?

No?

Dark space is fucking VAST. If they filled it all, we'd be talking in numbers so high we don't have words for them.

The majority of the universe is dark space.

I always just interpreted it as that they hang out just outside the galaxy in the space between galaxies, and come back to their specific hunting grounds. We have zero indication that they care about any galaxy beyond the Milky Way.

That could always be changed, but if they bring the Reapers back, ME4 will pretty much be DOA. The Reapers were ruined in ME3, and there's no reason to attempt to rehabilitate them in a new game.

He was not. Only with the CE was he free. You had to pay for him regardless of if you bought him day one or a year later for the regular copy. I got ME3 day one new, and I haven't played the game with Javik.

I stand corrected. I thought it was just like the Cerberus edition of ME2 and the Signature edition of DA2 in that all new copies from the first run had it packed-in.

No?

Dark space is fucking VAST. If they filled it all, we'd be talking in numbers so high we don't have words for them.

The majority of the universe is dark space.

I always just interpreted it as that they hang out just outside the galaxy in the space between galaxies, and come back to their specific hunting grounds. We have zero indication that they care about any galaxy beyond the Milky Way.

That could always be changed, but if they bring the Reapers back, ME4 will pretty much be DOA. The Reapers were ruined in ME3, and there's no reason to attempt to rehabilitate them in a new game.
yeah, it was silly of me to say that they fill up the voids (most of space is actually dark matter and energy though), what I was getting at was more along the lines of what you said in that, perhaps reapers reside in the dark space in proximity to certain galaxies?

diaspora

Jesus what? No of course not.

Galactic reaper cycles are for the milky way by machines constructed by inhabitants of the milky way, the leviathans. Dark space is simply too vast. Leviathans always referred to the galaxy in singular, I don't think their programming was aimed at multiple galaxies.

Patryn

yeah, it was silly of me to say that they fill up the voids (most of space is actually dark matter and energy though), what I was getting at was more along the lines of what you said in that, perhaps reapers reside in the dark space in proximity to certain galaxies?

Perhaps.

But if they explore this, I will be about 80 percent less interested in ME4.

The Reapers suck. There is no reason to go back to them. They're done. Finito.

Let's move on to something new and interesting.

I was going to make a LttP thread for Mass Effect 3 DLC, but I guess this would be more appropriate.

Backstory: Mass Effect was my favorite game series. I played through the first one like 4 or 5 times. And ME2 is one of the best games ever. The ending of the trilogy really, REALLY soured me on the series. So much so that I wasn't going to buy the DLC at full cost (when I would normally do so to support devs that deserve it). And so I waited until every piece (except the Day 1 which I bought Day 1), went on sale before buying... and then I got my PS4 and promptly abandoned my X360 before ever opening them.

Until last week.

I had some time off to recover from surgery, so I decided to dust off the X360 controller and plow through my unplayed ME3 DLC. And here are my impressions and they are heavy with SPOILERS so don't read if you ever plan on playing them. Just scroll down past the End Spoilers for my final thoughts.

Begin Spoilers

Leviathan:
I strongly disagree with this mission being optional. If ANY mission should have been included with the main game and forced you to complete it, it would be this one. This mission gives so much backstory on the Reapers and the AI that it actually made the ending make sense. Had I played this before the 'extended' cut ending, I would have been totally fine with it all. Plus, it was fun.

Omega:
Great DLC choice. This was not essential, and is the very definition of what DLC should be. It had no real effect on the main story other than war assets and some extra guns, but it was fun and the story was pretty great. Plus, Aria was insane as a teammate.

Citadel:
This is one of the greatest pieces of DLC I have ever played. This is also an example of what non-essential DLC should be, because it was basically a love letter to the diehard fans. If you didn't buy it, you probably didn't need to play it anyhow, because you may not be a big enough fan to enjoy it fully.

It did have some standout moments though:

1. That pistol. Wow—was that thing sweet. I used it the entire rest of the mission and never really needed to switch to anything else. I wish I had that thing during my initial playthrough. Marauder Shields wouldn't have stood a chance.

2. It addressed a complaint I had about the entire series as a whole. You have a full team of awesome soldiers at your disposal, but... you only take 2 with you on EVERY mission (aside from the Suicide one in ME2)??!?!? Why wouldn't you take everyone every time if the fate of the galaxy rests on it? In this DLC... everyone goes. And it is the greatest battle sequence of the entire series. The banter alone is worth the price. But seeing your other teammates flank opponents on the rafters and taking out hard to reach guys for you... this is how more of the missions should have been done in the previous games. Imagine storming the Citadel in the final ME1 mission with your other teammates nearby helping out. Let's hope ME4 took some notes here.

3. The inside jokes. Ripping on the elevators, Shepard's dancing and each other was great. There's even a nod to Star Wars in there. It reminded me why I loved each character throughout the series. And why that initial, bare-bones ending was so painful.

4. The ending. I actually got a little emotional at the group photo scene. THAT is how I want to remember this series. Not RGB. Or Shepard taking one more breath in the rubble. That photo. It was tough going back to the game after all these years, but ending it there... that was perfect. I made my final game save standing in front of the photo, packed up the game and filed it away never to be played again. That's how I want my final memory of Shepard and his story to be...

End Spoilers

So here are my final thoughts.

Leviathan - Essential. Should have been shipped with the full game. Buy it.
Omega - Optional, but still great.
Citadel - If you are a fan, this is essential. If not... the gun fights are still awesome. Buy it.

Perhaps.

But if they explore this, I will be about 80 percent less interested in ME4.

The Reapers suck. There is no reason to go back to them. They're done. Finito.

Let's move on to something new and interesting.
lol

yeah, I'm all for a new galactic threat too. I don't know if I would hate for them to bring back the reapers, but after everything that happened with Me3, I think I'd prefer for them to move on.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Congrats on finally playing ME3's spectacular DLCs, Darth Smurf X. Citadel in particular is just... wow. Leviathan feels mandatory (but all Mass Effect DLCs feel mandatory to me, big-time fan I am... even Pinnacle Station... argh) and Omega, while a fair bit too heavy on the combat for my niche tastes, is a fun romp to end an arc with. Especially since I read those Aria comics, ha.

diaspora

I don't remember grass on tuchanka either, but I think there maybe been some grass on there in one or some of the extended cut slideshows. So, slight vegetational progress?

There's grass and water on Tuchanka as you're passing through the temple to get to the spire on Priority: Tuchanka.

Mindlog

I wonder how they'd handle travel to that galaxy and travel within that galaxy. Do they reintroduce a gate system? Do they introduce the new ship's drive as a successful evolution of the Gagarian experiments? That would create a secret spaceship that would travel faster and be more advanced than anything else. Seems about right.
He wrote Javik and Overlord? Awesome.
Javik and Overlord. Yes, please.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've long held that Overlord's the best DLC in Mass Effect 2, dark horse though that opinion may be. I get why people say the answer's Lair, and don't get me wrong, Lair's very good, but I always come away feeling all the better about Overlord.

Dombrow really aced ME3, though. Pretty much all the best of that game is stuff he had his hands in. Patrick Weekes is phenomenal too obviously but Weekes himself has often insisted he gets too much credit for things his buddy Dombrow was in fact responsible for. When I heard that Dombrow was leaving BioWare my heart sank; this is such excellent news.

I'm all for new stuff, but I don't want to play a Mass Effect game where my crew are the only members of a familiar race (human, turian, salarian, asari, krogan, etc.) that I'll meet.

Besides, intergalactic travel is laughably implausible, even by space opera standards. Unless they go with a wormhole plot device, it's going to feel ridiculous.

I'm all for new stuff, but I don't want to play a Mass Effect game where my crew are the only members of a familiar race (human, turian, salarian, asari, krogan, etc.) that I'll meet.

Besides, intergalactic travel is laughably implausible, even by space opera standards. Unless they go with a wormhole plot device, it's going to feel ridiculous.

Well....

I agree with you on wanting to stay in the Milky Way, first of all, but if they're willing to go all-in on the time scale (sticking people in cryo sleep for the thousands of years necessary to cross between galaxies), it's not necessarily ridiculous.

lol

yeah, I'm all for a new galactic threat too. I don't know if I would hate for them to bring back the reapers, but after everything that happened with Me3, I think I'd prefer for them to move on.

I rather have a much smaller threat. We have saved the galaxy three times now, I think a more focused objective like saving a colony, or particular race would make it more personal.
Mass Effect did always excel at the smaller narratives (the loyalty missions,the geth/quarian conflict, the genophage etc.), so why not make the main one smaller in focus? That's my opinion, however.

Well....

I agree with you on wanting to stay in the Milky Way, first of all, but if they're willing to go all-in on the time scale (sticking people in cryo sleep for the thousands of years necessary to cross between galaxies), it's not necessarily ridiculous.
The closest galaxy would take 2.5 million years to reach if you were traveling at the speed of light. In the Mass Effect canon, interstellar travel is only practical because of the mass relays. Intergalactic travel would take so much handwaving of established lore that I'd be incredibly hard-pressed to suspend my disbelief. Even if they pulled it off, I wouldn't want to start up ME4 only to be told, "Remember all those civilizations you learned about over three games? Yeah, you're never going to see any of them ever again."

I understand that figuring out how to handle the endings is hard, but dumping the entire Milky Way? That's a colossal baby to throw out with the red/green/blue-colored bathwater.

staying within the confines of the Milky Way is more realistic and had been for the series, and there's still so much to explore in it.
Off topic, The Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy will collide in 4 billion years, so in effect we are already on our way to exploring another galaxy! We will probably have to move to a planet further from our sun due to increased luminosity from our sun. Perhaps one of those Andromeda planets will have life and come close enough so we can hop planets and say hi?

On topic, think about these types of space occurrences and the stories they could present in ME4.

I'm just wasting time on Wikipedia today...

wolfhowwl

Banned
Off topic, The Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy will collide in 4 billion years, so in effect we are already on our way to exploring another galaxy! We will probably have to move to a planet further from our sun due to increased luminosity from our sun. Perhaps one of those Andromeda planets will have life and come close enough so we can hop planets and say hi?

On topic, think about these types of space occurrences and the stories they could present in ME4.

Somewhat on topic, that is the
threat that the "inspiration" for the Reapers was dealing with.

In 800 million years, the Sun will expand and heat up enough that all life on Earth will die, and the oceans will boil away. That's about 3.2 billion years before Andromeda collides with the Milky Way. Hopefully we'll have found another planet long before either of those events become a problem.
Somewhat on topic, that is the
threat that the "inspiration" for the Reapers was dealing with.
Which I never understood. There's so much space between stars that, when Andromeda collides with the Milky Way, there won't be much actual...you know, collision. What were the
Inhibitors trying to prevent, exactly?
The occasional rogue planet or star? That's hardly
a threat to intelligent life on the galactic scale.
I still love the books, but the
Inhibitors' motive
just doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom