• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Javik is to ME3 as Legion is to ME2: arguably the best written, at least most lore important, regressed to low priority to the point of being optional in favour of more humans.
legion probably was one of my favorite characters in Me2, and I heard he was originally supposed to be recruited way in the beginning of the game. shame I didn't get to use him much because
your crew gets abducted very soon after you get him & his loyalty mission if you do that before suicide.

prag16

Banned
quYTxiF.png
Bioware, stahp.

What's insane is the amount of (inadvertent? If we're giving the benefit of the doubt) blatant shameless trolling being done. They're excited about their game. I get it. So are we. Really don't mean to sound ungrateful but this is getting to be beyond ridiculous.

Was it the same case on 360/Ps3? If not, as long as there is one port with it on disc, then the fault still applies imo.

Not to be a dick, but it took me literally 10 seconds just now to confirm via google. A tiny amount of content/hooks/etc were on disc. The DLC was over 600mb on all platforms. Why speculate about what we should "fault" Bioware for, and jump to conclusions about disc locked content when the facts are out there and easily accessible?

Now, obviously the other argument about the overall decision to lock a such a critical character behind a paywall to begin with, is another one entirely. And I agree about Legion too.

BouncyFrag

Javik is to ME3 as Legion is to ME2: arguably the best written, at least most lore important, regressed to low priority to the point of being optional in favour of more humans.
Taking Javik to Thesia pretty much turned everything we new on its head and taking Legion along in Tali's loyalty mission is something not to be missed. God-tier trolling by Shepard here to the Quarians.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Mordin will always be the best written, as long as he doesnt talk about biology cause clearly no one on the writing team took it in college. He is also like the one crew member you recruit in 2 that has a plot relevant reason to be there outside of Miranda/Jacob.

Ghazi

Yeah, too bad he cost money so I never played him. I did buy all the DLC during a sale, him included, but at this point it's too late for me to replay it.

Guys, essential DLC for ME3? I started the game (12 hours in, doing the Female Krogan mission now) and I am wondering what DLC is worth it [PS3]. I loved Overlord and Shadow Broker in ME2, hell even liked Kasumi and Zaeed missions.

What is the must-buy DLC for ME3? The Aria one? The Citadel one (do not care much about nostalgia trips)?

Leviathan, From Ashes, and Citadel are the most needed for SP. All of the ME3 multiplayer is free, so get them all.

Omega is like...whatever. Although you can get an interesting moment.

Leonsito

I started a new X360 ME3 game importing the character from my previous finished save, and now I noticed that I have lost all saves from that previous game, is there any way to go back to them? I noticed that the save file is still in my HDD...

If you don't care about nostalgia trips, just get From Ashes and Leviathan. Javik is a badass and Leviathan has some pretty cool moments. Citadel is more fanservice than anything, really.

I started a new X360 ME3 game importing the character from my previous finished save, and now I noticed that I have lost all saves from that previous game, is there any way to go back to them? I noticed that the save file is still in my HDD...

You'll need to change characters in the save menu. I think it's by pressing Y.

I just want Me4 to come with a Wii U gamepad for PS4 so I can make the AI squadmates useful. That really improved the gameplay for me.

Either that or they'll need to make them able to handle doorways and small staircases on their own.

Leonsito

If you don't care about nostalgia trips, just get From Ashes and Leviathan. Javik is a badass and Leviathan has some pretty cool moments. Citadel is more fanservice than anything, really.

You'll need to change characters in the save menu. I think it's by pressing Y.

Thanks! I never noticed that option before, I have a couple achievements left from the Omega simulator and thought I lost my progress :D

DOWN

Banned
I'm 80 hours into my first play through of Inquisition and I sincerely hope that the new Mass Effect is similarly spacious and enchantingly explorable, but also dramatically shorter. Inquisition is a very fat game, accomplished by a lot of desperately cheap quests and collectible requirements, rather than the more bespoke interactions and conversations that the Mass Effect trilogy subplots and side quests offered.

I'm not even doing the bulk of the obvious collectible missions and I'm still somehow racking up hours upon hours, holding on only for a quality BioWare world, cast, and story.

The Emerald Graves is a gorgeous place.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm 80 hours into my first play through of Inquisition and I sincerely hope that the new Mass Effect is similarly spacious and enchantingly explorable, but also dramatically shorter. Inquisition is a very fat game, accomplished by a lot of desperately cheap quests and collectible requirements, rather than the more bespoke interactions and conversations that the Mass Effect trilogy subplots and side quests offered.

I'm not even doing the bulk of the obvious collectible missions and I'm still somehow racking up hours upon hours, holding on only for a quality BioWare world, cast, and story.

The Emerald Graves is a gorgeous place.

Completely agreed. Love Inquisition but the amount of bloat that could have been replaced by shorter and much more meaningful content is such a missed chance. Hope they take that into account for the next Mass Effect, I can cope with a couple of collections here and there but just give lots of story content while I explore these places.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh Lord, I tried continuing my Adept save in ME3 tonight on my 360 and there was much suffering. I have become so used to never having to use the tactical wheel in MP that the constant pauses in SP have become annoying and distracting, its the reason why I started to mainly play as the Soldier class in SP, you rarely have to use the damn wheel and you can keep the action going.

The lack of hotkeys on consoles makes power focused classes annoying to play, caster Shepards just have way too many powers yo, its a pain to try and use them all on consoles. Fuck it, back to my Soldier Shepard I go.

??????

Yeah, it's one of the main reason why I'm hesitating so much on if i should buy the next ME on console or PC. After playing with a keyboard and its 8 hotkeys for ME1 to 3, I can't imagine myself playing on console, where there is what, 2 or 3 hotkeys?

Not to be a dick, but it took me literally 10 seconds just now to confirm via google. A tiny amount of content/hooks/etc were on disc. The DLC was over 600mb on all platforms. Why speculate about what we should "fault" Bioware for, and jump to conclusions about disc locked content when the facts are out there and easily accessible?

Now, obviously the other argument about the overall decision to lock a such a critical character behind a paywall to begin with, is another one entirely. And I agree about Legion too.
alright, my bad. I didn't look too much into at all, all I knew was what I remembered at launch about how it was said that the javik content was on disc but you still had to pay to get from ashes. I bought the collector's edition so while I thought it was messed up, it didn't affect me that much.

Leviathan, From Ashes, and Citadel are the most needed for SP. All of the ME3 multiplayer is free, so get them all.

Omega is like...whatever. Although you can get an interesting moment.

Thanks. I just bought them all for $60 (Omega, Citadel, Ashes, Leviathan). I'm a sucker for ME games. It can't be helped :(

SliChillax

Guys, essential DLC for ME3? I started the game (12 hours in, doing the Female Krogan mission now) and I am wondering what DLC is worth it [PS3]. I loved Overlord and Shadow Broker in ME2, hell even liked Kasumi and Zaeed missions.

What is the must-buy DLC for ME3? The Aria one? The Citadel one (do not care much about nostalgia trips)?

All the DLC is essential to me, as a crazy Mass Effect fan I like all of them (not equally). Anything that adds to the game for me is a must, first game I buy all the dlc.

Tzeentch

Leviathan and Omega were pretty terrible compared to the base game missions, but were enjoyable for what they were I suppose. Citadel is flat-out one of the best DLC's in any game I have ever played - assuming you have been playing since ME1 as a lot of the fun comes from in-jokes and callbacks.

Leviathan and Omega were pretty terrible compared to the base game missions, but were enjoyable for what they were I suppose. Citadel is flat-out one of the best DLC's in any game I have ever played - assuming you have been playing since ME1 as a lot of the fun comes from in-jokes and callbacks.
was citadel more expensive than the rest of them?

Seconded. ME3 without at least From Ashes and Citadel is nightmare fuel to my mind now. Leviathan is almost as required. Omega may as well be there too to wrap up its related arc.
agreed. playing Me3 without from ashes would almost feel like an incomplete playthrough.

I'm pretty sure reviewers had to play through ME3 without From Ashes. I remember Jeff from Giant Bomb saying that was the case for him. EA also wanted reviewers to play through the game without importing saves, because they wanted to get the new players perspective or something stupid like that.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm pretty sure reviewers had to play through ME3 without From Ashes. I remember Jeff from Giant Bomb saying that was the case for him. EA also wanted reviewers to play through the game without importing saves, because they wanted to get the new players perspective or something stupid like that.

Wow. I'd legitimately dock half a point from the game without Javik. I got the Collector's Edition, so I always had him, and even back in March 2012 it was tough imagining the game without him. Especially what with the Thessia mission and all. (Of course, it's easy to not bring him, too, but I got lucky and did indeed bring him.)

Ghazi

He was free with new copies of the game. Yes, you had to download something to unlock him, but this "paid day one DLC" talk is overblown at best, disingenuous at worst.

He was not. Only with the CE was he free. You had to pay for him regardless of if you bought him day one or a year later for the regular copy. I got ME3 day one new, and I haven't played the game with Javik.

I really cannot imagine how a Me3 playthrough would feel without javik there.
He was free with new copies of the game. Yes, you had to download something to unlock him, but this "paid day one DLC" talk is overblown at best, disingenuous at worst.
really? I knew he came with the collector's editions but the purpose is kinda defeated if he was just free with any new copies of the game.

was it the same as zaeed in Me2?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

He was only "free" with new copies of the $80 Collector's Edition. He was never free with the vanilla.

Red Hood

Banned
Unless I'm blind I don't think I see a way to buy all the Mass Effect trilogy DLCs on Origin? Also, is there by any chance a "complete edition" or something alike that can save me a few bucks?

prag16

Banned
alright, my bad. I didn't look too much into at all, all I knew was what I remembered at launch about how it was said that the javik content was on disc but you still had to pay to get from ashes. I bought the collector's edition so while I thought it was messed up, it didn't affect me that much.

Yeah, it was placeholders/hooks and a character model and of course some sites ran with the "omg all Javik content is on disc" headlines without doing any research.

I did think it was sorta lame though that the content was paid regardless, but like you I bought the collector's edition, so it also didn't affect me.

Yeah, it was placeholders/hooks and a character model and of course some sites ran with the "omg all Javik content is on disc" headlines without doing any research.

I did think it was sorta lame though that the content was paid regardless, but like you I bought the collector's edition, so it also didn't affect me.
I see. I'm guessing the case was worse with sfxt where there was actual dlc based content on the disc, but they made you pay for and download it anyway?

So I'm at my wit's end.

I'm replaying these games having played them through only once before. I purchased my disc copy of ME2 2nd hand and it didn't have a cerberus pack code.

The DLC isn't available to purchase on the UK PS Store (gives me an error saying I don't own the game).

I've contacted Bioware, they say they can't do anything and to contact Sony.

I've contacted Sony and they say they can't do anything, contact Bioware :(

I'm screwed right? No Zaeed for me.

So I'm at my wit's end.

I'm replaying these games having played them through only once before. I purchased my disc copy of ME2 2nd hand and it didn't have a cerberus pack code.

The DLC isn't available to purchase on the UK PS Store (gives me an error saying I don't own the game).

damn, that really sucks man. perhaps try searching for it a little more carefully? I remember one time I accidentally deleted tekken 5 from my Ps3 so I had to redownload it, but it was missing the online component. When I was trying to redownload that, it said at first that it was "unavailable for download" but I figured out how to and I got it. I don't remember how though.

Sjosz

Neo Member
Bioware, stahp.

What's insane is the amount of (inadvertent? If we're giving the benefit of the doubt) blatant shameless trolling being done. They're excited about their game. I get it. So are we. Really don't mean to sound ungrateful but this is getting to be beyond ridiculous.

Kay. None of mine is ever trolling, and unless I'm unaware of it, I think I do more vague enthusiastic tweeting than anyone else on the team. I'm sorry that it's coming across that way, it's not intended to.
It's not easy not talking about things, either. I'd much rather show you. I can't.

prag16

Banned
Kay. None of mine is ever trolling, and unless I'm unaware of it, I think I do more vague enthusiastic tweeting than anyone else on the team. I'm sorry that it's coming across that way, it's not intended to.
It's not easy not talking about things, either. I'd much rather show you. I can't.
That came off more aggressive than intended. I just can't handle the wait. :(

So I'm at my wit's end.

Zaeed was tied to the "Cerberus Network," which is an online pass that you could either purchase online or download using a one-time code that came with new copies of ME2. Later, EA discontinued their online pass system, making Cerberus Network free to download.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that the Cerberus Network isn't available for download on PSN in some regions. Try looking for the "Cerberus Pack" on the PSN Store. If it isn't there, and you're willing to pay for it, you might consider buying the ME2 "Ultimate Edition" on PSN; it comes with all the DLC.

you mean none of your tweets? if not I don't get what you're saying

Zaeed was tied to the "Cerberus Network," which is an online pass that you could either purchase online or download using a one-time code that came with new copies of ME2. Later, EA discontinued their online pass system, making Cerberus Network free to download.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that the Cerberus Network isn't available for download on PSN in some regions. Try looking for the "Cerberus Pack" on the PSN Store. If it isn't there, and you're willing to pay for it, you might consider buying the ME2 "Ultimate Edition" on PSN; it comes with all the DLC.

Yeah I can see the Cerberus Pack on the store, I'm just not allowed to download it. I could purchase a digital copy of the game for £4.99 but the question is, is Zaeed worth it? Baring in mind I do feel a bit like I'm missing out by not having a squad member.

Edit: Also does anybody know if my physical copy save file will work on the digital copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom