• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I am totally baffled as to why so many people want ME4 to take place in a new galaxy. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to think that a new galaxy will contain Asari, Salarians, or Turians and that a Mako will also be there. You remove those things how is it even a Mass Effect game? In a lot of the stuff we have seen so far, it seems like all of these species will be present.

Personally I think the best idea is to tackle how the galaxy deals with the aftermath of the reaper war. Use destroy but rewrite it such that gets servive.
i'm not baffled by it, but I do agree that the game should stick with the milky way.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think BioWare's rock and a hard place is that they want to abandon the baggage of the Shepard trilogy, which means trying to avoid side stories (I wouldn't be opposed to these, mind you), while also refusing to commit to a canon.

So, my assumption is Mass Effect 4 is either a sequel or set during the Shepard arc, but predominantly revolves around an exploration/first contact group that for whatever reason has found access to a new galaxy. No, it's not plausible, but I don't imagine their reasoning will be so much as going with whatever they can to ditch the Milky Way.

This group will be the "Pathfinder Initiative" as detailed by BioWare Montreal's new jumpers. ARKCON could be the new multi-species banner said group operates under (like humans operate under Alliance). Maybe post-war Reaper tech (or space magic) opens a wormhole to another galaxy that you and your crew are sent through. Maybe the reasoning is they've received a signal from said galaxy that seems like a sign of life and are reaching out for contact. Maybe they're sending a lot of Milky Way residents through to colonise this new galaxy to avoid the next game limiting its pool of familiar candidates.

But yeah, whatever the reason for going there and how they get there, I feel the next game will indeed take place in a new galaxy and almost all (if not all) familiar locations and icons from the Shepard trilogy will not make an appearance, including the Citadel.

I hated the idea at first, but that was because I didn't want to abandon a post-Shepard trilogy galaxy when I felt there was a ton of potential to continue the series there. But the more I think about it, the reality is unless BioWare is willing to commit to a canon post-trilogy state it's just not going to happen. So I hate the idea only because of BioWare's clusterfuck ending mess and how they treated their own universe moreso than the idea itself. If indeed BioWare is refusing to commit to a canon, I'd honestly rather see them take the new galaxy idea as it gives them a totally clean template to work with, rather than screw around with the Milky Way while burning resources on fruitlessly pandering to all possible Shepard trilogy game states.

If we're done with the Shepard trilogy and no canon will be established for future games, then its time to fuck it off for good.

Another possibility is that ME4 takes place in a parallel universe where the Protheans did win the war against the Reapers, but their losses were too great and died out soon after. That way you don't have the baggage of the previous games, and do some interesting cameos like teaming up with Saren & Nihlus.

Here's how to get your plausibility transit to another galaxy: there's a mass relay that goes there. The end.

Mass Effect and consistency / plausibility parted ways after the first game... it's a sprawling space opera touching on hard sci-fi themes which get trumped by the rule of cool and accessibility to less-invested players at the whim of its leads.

While we can't be sure the new game is literally set in another Galaxy or, say, an unexplored arm of the Milky Way, for all intents and purposes it might as well be - cutting the setting off from the narrative / thematic mess that's left after the Shepard trilogy seems like the only way forward.

I think EA will also be keen to expand the player base and presenting the title as a clean slate is smart from a marketing perspective. Conversely, doubling down on the ending of Mass Effect 3 and expanding its meaning and consequences with the new title seems like a sure way to alienate an outspoken segment of the hardcore fanbase and risks overshadowing the positive buzz with another round of ending debates.

I wonder if they could tie it into the story somehow but that would probably be opening a can of worms.. although we did see Tuchanka in the E3 trailer.

You mean last year's teaser schtick? I don't believe that was ever confirmed to be Tuchanka, was it?

Yep, it wasn't confirmed but to me it looks exactly like Tuchanka. Unless it's just some strange coincidence.

I don't remember grass in Tuchanka.

Looks like Tuchanka with a Krogan to me...

untitledgzzlm.png

untitled0paj5.png

untitled2yejlx.png

But maybe it is Poohchanka in some other Galaxy with a race knows nas Crogans.

That first screen could be any generic planet but the other stuff looks very Tuchanka. Even so, such a level could be before you warp to the unknown regions of the milky way / another galaxy / whatever. Additionally, it could be a Krogan that's part of your expedition on another planet. I don't think it is, but it's at least "possible". From memory they were still doing surveys about whether the game should be a prequel/sequel etc relatively late, so as a conceptual prototype it doesn't necessarily map up 1:1 with a real level in the final game. "What does tuchanka look like on a next gen console" is a pretty easy thing to repurpose into some other level by just taking the Krogans out if you later decide that the story won't let that level be possible.

I am really warming up to the idea you guys presented that ME4 starts within the Milky Way - you get to visit The Citadel, Tuchanka maybe etc. in first 3 hours - and then you say goodbye and warp (irreversibly) to another galaxy. Then it is 70 hours in a new galaxy! With Crogans, Falarians, Poorians and Wanar ;)

Perfect setup for the new Trilogy and a great goodbye to the universe the OG Trilogy created.

That first screen could be any generic planet but the other stuff looks very Tuchanka. Even so, such a level could be before you warp to the unknown regions of the milky way / another galaxy / whatever. Additionally, it could be a Krogan that's part of your expedition on another planet. I don't think it is, but it's at least "possible". From memory they were still doing surveys about whether the game should be a prequel/sequel etc relatively late, so as a conceptual prototype it doesn't necessarily map up 1:1 with a real level in the final game. "What does tuchanka look like on a next gen console" is a pretty easy thing to repurpose into some other level by just taking the Krogans out if you later decide that the story won't let that level be possible.

But then why create a nex-gen Krogan model? God I cannot wait for the reveal... so many unanswered questions right now. We are literally in the DARK SPACE. Guessing and wondering.

70 hours?

1Cu7yqN.png

Mass Effect should be much tighter and more focused than Dragon Age. We're talking like 25 hours for a reasonable run through with most of the major quests, or 32-36 hours for some hardcore completion run.

I think my first ME2 run doing all the loyalty missions was like 20 hours. We asked Bioware for a long game and boy did they "deliver" that in DAI. Like a fucking malevolent genie.

E5w9g8g.gif

But then why create a nex-gen Krogan model? God I cannot wait for the reveal... so many unanswered questions right now. We are literally in the DARK SPACE. Guessing and wondering.

It's all mass effect stuff. Krogans are definitely one of the most iconic things in the universe. They probably mocked up all the major races of the game even if they won't use them or they'll only be minor parts. In the early stages they know they want to make "something Mass Effect" but won't necessarily have a clear idea of what the game is going to be about, story-wise, or where it make take us.

If the Pathfinder initiative stuff turns out to be a multi-species endeavor, they have a perfect excuse to bring along representatives from all your favorite species.

Mass Effect should be much tighter and more focused than Dragon Age. We're talking like 25 hours for a reasonable run through with most of the major quests, or 32-36 hours for some hardcore completion run.

I think my first ME2 run doing all the loyalty missions was like 20 hours. We asked Bioware for a long game and boy did they "deliver" that in DAI. Like a fucking malevolent genie.

Mine was exactly 72 hours... ;_; but I depleted ALL OF THE PLANETS (1 000 000 Platinum etc).

Anyway the more ME the better :) ... maybe not 150 hours like in DA3 but 70 hours would be fine for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The PAX leak (which, again, I believe was true) stated tech reels were shown for the likes of Krogan, Asari, Turian, Salarian, etc. Specifically noting how Frostbite 3 tech allowed them to have much greater control over bone structure and what not, for far more diversity between faces.

I mean yeah, I look at that image and say "definitely Tuchanka", but the nature of prototypes is that a lot of shit that appears in early content doesn't wind up in the main game. I mean, some of those assets could have been ripped straight from ME2/ME3.

DOWN

Banned
God I'll be annoyed if completing ME takes more then 40 hours. I'm doing a story + companions and some side missions play through of DAI and I'm at 84 hours and annoyed. It could easily have been a tight 40-50 hours.

ME1-3 were good lengths and had good quests overall. Keep the style and don't go much higher on length, though I want it much bigger in explorable area so I expect it to be a little longer than the previous entries.

Mine was exactly 72 hours... ;_; but I depleted ALL OF THE PLANETS (1 000 000 Platinum etc).

Anyway the more ME the better :) ... maybe not 150 hours like in DA3 but 70 hours would be fine for me.
The fuck? What the hell was the appeal of depleting the planets? That wasn't even a collectible. That doesn't even sound like a good thing in universe lol. Pure hell right there
The PAX leak (which, again, I believe was true) stated tech reels were shown for the likes of Krogan, Asari, Turian, Salarian, etc. Specifically noting how Frostbite 3 tech allowed them to have much greater control over bone structure and what not, for far more diversity between faces.

I mean yeah, I look at that image and say "definitely Tuchanka", but the nature of prototypes is that a lot of shit that appears in early content doesn't wind up in the main game. I mean, some of those assets could have been ripped straight from ME2/ME3.
Ripped low quality assets from a different engine for a new gen game? Not likely. But the prototypes themselves can indeed be totally made for tech exercises and scrapped or unused in the game itself.

MAX PAYMENT

Anyone got thier fingers crossed for an HD trilogy. I know there are already too many remasters. But I'd love to be able to play these on consoles as smooth as they are on pc.

The fuck? What the hell was the appeal of depleting the planets? That wasn't even a collectible. That doesn't even sound like a good thing in universe lol. Pure hell right there

Could not help myself! And there was not even a fucking trophy for that... It was funny when they disabled the option to mine Earth, lol.

Luckily (for me) there is none of this shit in ME3. I can clean a cluster from Artifacts in 2 minutes vs 2 hours in ME2 (scanning for peaks).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Could not help myself! And there was not even a fucking trophy for that... It was funny when they disabled the option to mine Earth, lol.

Luckily (for me) there is none of this shit in ME3. I can clean a cluster from Artifacts in 2 minutes vs 2 hours in ME2 (scanning for peaks).
You couldn't help yourself...wow...wow.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think BioWare's rock and a hard place is that they want to abandon the baggage of the Shepard trilogy, which means trying to avoid side stories (I wouldn't be opposed to these, mind you), while also refusing to commit to a canon.

So, my assumption is Mass Effect 4 is either a sequel or set during the Shepard arc, but predominantly revolves around an exploration/first contact group that for whatever reason has found access to a new galaxy. No, it's not plausible, but I don't imagine their reasoning will be so much as going with whatever they can to ditch the Milky Way.

This group will be the "Pathfinder Initiative" as detailed by BioWare Montreal's new jumpers. ARKCON could be the new multi-species banner said group operates under (like humans operate under Alliance). Maybe post-war Reaper tech (or space magic) opens a wormhole to another galaxy that you and your crew are sent through. Maybe the reasoning is they've received a signal from said galaxy that seems like a sign of life and are reaching out for contact. Maybe they're sending a lot of Milky Way residents through to colonise this new galaxy to avoid the next game limiting its pool of familiar candidates.

But yeah, whatever the reason for going there and how they get there, I feel the next game will indeed take place in a new galaxy and almost all (if not all) familiar locations and icons from the Shepard trilogy will not make an appearance, including the Citadel.

I hated the idea at first, but that was because I didn't want to abandon a post-Shepard trilogy galaxy when I felt there was a ton of potential to continue the series there. But the more I think about it, the reality is unless BioWare is willing to commit to a canon post-trilogy state it's just not going to happen. So I hate the idea only because of BioWare's clusterfuck ending mess and how they treated their own universe moreso than the idea itself. If indeed BioWare is refusing to commit to a canon, I'd honestly rather see them take the new galaxy idea as it gives them a totally clean template to work with, rather than screw around with the Milky Way while burning resources on fruitlessly pandering to all possible Shepard trilogy game states.

If we're done with the Shepard trilogy and no canon will be established for future games, then its time to fuck it off for good.

I am not in any way in favor of this. Going to a new galaxy just seems...dumb.
It just seems like you're going too far away from Mass Effect. No Citadel doesn't sit well with me. It's just too iconic. Distancing yourself from the Shepard trilogy is one thing, but to move parsecs away is not necessary.

Also, I actually think Bioware WILL, yes WILL pick an ending to be canon. Maybe merge a few endings, but I think they are keeping it extremely quiet so they don't have to deal with backlash prior to game shipping.

Patryn

I have to say that I am totally baffled as to why so many people want ME4 to take place in a new galaxy. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to think that a new galaxy will contain Asari, Salarians, or Turians and that a Mako will also be there. You remove those things how is it even a Mass Effect game? In a lot of the stuff we have seen so far, it seems like all of these species will be present.

Personally I think the best idea is to tackle how the galaxy deals with the aftermath of the reaper war. Use destroy but rewrite it such that gets servive.

That's the point. As EC pointed out, the plotline would have a ship or ships from our galaxy, containing a crew comprised of all the species that we know and love, and going out to explore new areas of space. The Mako would be with them. They'd be your point of view characters.

Why I really want them to go to a place without relays is that it would give an opportunity for some really creative world-building. Think about it: All the species we currently know developed, at least partially, based on the plan the Reapers had by consuming their tech.

What would a species that developed independent of all that be like? What the galaxy's structure be? How would they interact?

Basically, it'd be goddamn Star Trek. Let's go explore the unknown and visit strange new worlds and new species.

Basically, it'd be goddamn Star Trek. Let's go explore the unknown and visit strange new worlds and new species.

That's actually bold. Drop all the existing species. Go carte blanche. No Krogans, Salarians etc. Explain this is totally new stuff. NEW RACES ONLY.

Interesting.

I think this would be more passable for "old timers" if they announced ME1-3 HD Remaster alongside for $49.99 :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That's the point. As EC pointed out, the plotline would have a ship or ships from our galaxy, containing a crew comprised of all the species that we know and love, and going out to explore new areas of space. The Mako would be with them. They'd be your point of view characters.

Why I really want them to go to a place without relays is that it would give an opportunity for some really creative world-building. Think about it: All the species we currently know developed, at least partially, based on the plan the Reapers had by consuming their tech.

What would a species that developed independent of all that be like? What the galaxy's structure be? How would they interact?

While that sound all fine, that would mean this game would probably only have one Turian, one Asari, one Salarian, one Krogan, one Drell, one Quarian, maybe Volus? Vorcha, Hanar and Elcor wouldn't make much sense. Unless our new spaceship is the size of a battlecruiser, or that the Citadel moved to the new galaxy, it won't go further than that. Do you really want to see only one(maybe two) of the species we know while all the rest of the game is brand new species?

While that sound all fine, that would mean this game would probably only have one Turian, one Asari, one Salarian, one Krogan, one Drell, one Quarian, maybe Volus? Vorcha, Hanar and Elcor wouldn't make much sense. Unless our new spaceship is the size of a battlecruiser, or that the Citadel moved to the new galaxy, it won't go further than that. Do you really want to see only one(maybe two) of the species we know while all the rest of the game is brand new species?

Actually, considering the (presumed) name of the expedition is ARKCON, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fuckhuege ship. Big enough to fit plenty of species you might not otherwise want to drag along.

Also, would anyone else love to see a Vorcha squadmate, with all the additional characterization that implies?

Jibbed

This thread is such a tease. Every time I see 'Mass Effect' on the first page, I get all excited and then the realisation hits home. A little bit of me dies every time.

C'mon Bioware.

EatChildren

If it's a new galaxy it's not going to be "we sent one ship with a ragtag crew to explore this entire new galaxy". As others have pointed out, it'll be something huge. Like, "we're sending humans, asari, turian, krogan, quarian, salarian, and everyone else en masse to this new galaxy to explore and colonise", effectively giving you enough familiarity to keep the series grounded, but also opening doors borderline like a reboot; everyone starting again.

If JohnnyFootball is right they have to pick a canon. There's no way they can successfully make a post-trilogy game and account for decisions. It'll be fucking shit from top to bottom to the point where they might as well have picked a canon and saved their resources. My gut says they're not doing that though, keeping it murky, and yeah; new galaxy, new start.

If it's a new galaxy it's not going to be "we sent one ship with a ragtag crew to explore this entire new galaxy". As others have pointed out, it'll be something huge. Like, "we're sending humans, asari, turian, krogan, quarian, salarian, and everyone else en masse to this new galaxy to explore and colonise", effectively giving you enough familiarity to keep the series grounded, but also opening doors borderline like a reboot; everyone starting again.

If JohnnyFootball is right they have to pick a canon. There's no way they can successfully make a post-trilogy game and account for decisions. It'll be fucking shit from top to bottom to the point where they might as well have picked a canon and saved their resources. My gut says they're not doing that though, keeping it murky, and yeah; new galaxy, new start.

Who says it's about exploring the new galaxy?

-Reapers are coming! Oh noes
-Let's try and send a bigass ship full of people so far away the Reapers can't touch them!
-Launch colony ship / ark to another galaxy (or wherever) using some repurposed Mass Relay or something.

Patryn

Actually, considering the (presumed) name of the expedition is ARKCON, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fuckhuege ship. Big enough to fit plenty of species you might not otherwise want to drag along.

Also, would anyone else love to see a Vorcha squadmate, with all the additional characterization that implies?

I just want a Batarian. I think the dynamic between them and humans would be interesting.

I still think it was a total wasted opportunity that there wasn't a Batarian squadmate in ME2.

EatChildren

Oh I agree, I just mean exploring in a general sense. Even if it's Space Noah's Ark they'll have to explore to discover their homes.

I would prefer it to not be that though. Even as a restart I don't want the Reaper threat as anything other than a distant memory.

Oh I agree, I just mean exploring in a general sense. Even if it's Space Noah's Ark they'll have to explore to discover their homes.

I would prefer it to not be that though. Even as a restart I don't want the Reaper threat as anything other than a distant memory.

Can you imagine a hidden CERBERUS CELL being in the new galaxy already?

Boy, that would be fun, wouldn't it?

I just want a Batarian. I think the dynamic between them and humans would be interesting.

I still think it was a total wasted opportunity that there wasn't a Batarian squadmate in ME2.
That too, definitely. Especially in the framework of "we might be all that's left of our respective species."

oh nooooooooooooooo

EatChildren

You are the great grandson/daughter of The Illusive Man, heading the Pathfinder Initiative, an outer-galaxy exploration program built by the ARKCON branch of Cerberus. Backed by a diverse human team of Cerberus misfits, you embark on a breathtaking journey to the Andromeda galaxy, in a quest to hunt down and destroy a rogue Cerberus group responsible for big bads. Will you have what it takes to bring these Cerberus outcasts to swift human justice?

MASS EFFECT: CERBERUS

Vashetti

Banned
You are the great grandson/daughter of The Illusive Man, heading the Pathfinder Initiative, an outer-galaxy exploration program built by the ARKCON branch of Cerberus. Backed by a diverse human team of Cerberus misfits, you embark on a breathtaking journey to the Andromeda galaxy, in a quest to hunt down and destroy a rogue Cerberus group responsible for big bads. Will you have what it takes to bring these Cerberus outcasts to swift human justice?

K2g1zHI.gif

Patryn

Mac Walters is still the head writer, right?

Given that Cerberus is his baby, I wouldn't be shocked if there's a revelation that some crew member is working for Cerberus and there's suddenly a mission in the ARK or whatever where you're fighting them on the ARK itself.

EatChildren

Given that Cerberus is his baby, I wouldn't be shocked if there's a revelation that some crew member is working for Cerberus and there's suddenly a mission in the ARK or whatever where you're fighting them on the ARK itself.

burke-editl3jwk.jpg

Somebody overlay the old Cerberus logo:

cerberus_by_okinn-d4loi6t.png

on the new ARKCON logo:

3syxo9uyg7i19orbqjnw.jpg

I can see some resemblance :D - top shape and the orange colour.

Bisnic

Funny how i forgot about Batarians when listing the species in my previous post, but not fucking Vorchas. lol

If they decide to pick a canon ending, they will also have to decide on a canon choice for Tuchanka and Rannoch in ME3. Mostly Rannoch. Will both Quarians and Geths be there? Will one of them be gone forever?

izjtVRqNGMTnD.gif

That Star Wars Battlefront thread and shinobi's post above make me wonder:

- will ME4 demo/ full game be also available on EA Access on Xbox One early?

(I have an Xbox One so it would be ok for me)

Patryn

The only thing I remember about Batarians from Mass Effect 1-3:

- the Cannibals are made out of them

Look into their history. They had early conflicts with humans over colony worlds. After a few conflicts, the Council ruled in humanity's favor and awarded the worlds to humanity. Batarians took this very badly, withdrew from the Citadel and took up as raiders, generally targeting human colonies in slave runs.

So basically they hate humanity, as they felt that they were screwed out of what was rightfully theirs.

Look into their history. They had early conflicts with humans over colony worlds. After a few conflicts, the Council ruled in humanity's favor and awarded the worlds to humanity. Batarians took this very badly, withdrew from the Citadel and took up as raiders, generally targeting human colonies in slave runs.

So basically they hate humanity, as they felt that they were screwed out of what was rightfully theirs.

Now that you remind me they also took the first Reapers hit in ME3.

Anyway, way, way underutilized race.

Bisnic

Well... they didnt exist in ME1 prior to that DLC.
They had a decent presence in ME2 as mercenaries or just regular npcs.
But yeah. they were barely there in ME3 since they got hit by the Reapers first.

diaspora

Funny how i forgot about Batarians when listing the species in my previous post, but not fucking Vorchas. lol

If they decide to pick a canon ending, they will also have to decide on a canon choice for Tuchanka and Rannoch in ME3. Mostly Rannoch. Will both Quarians and Geths be there? Will one of them be gone forever?

I think the most likely scenario will be making the outcomes for all of these decisions tie together to having the same ultimate result.

That and Shep destroyed one of their entire planets.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can't find the quote, but haven't they already said they won't?

Yes, I am well aware that that is what they have SAID. My quote should make that clear.

I am saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they have decided to go with an ending, but they are going to keep that under wraps for as long as possible. No need to deal with that sort of backlash from now until the game is released.

Lets also realize that Bioware does not exactly have the best track record for telling the truth on what will and won't be in a game.

Patryn

Well... they didnt exist in ME1 prior to that DLC.
They had a decent presence in ME2 as mercenaries or just regular npcs.
But yeah. they were barely there in ME3 since they got hit by the Reapers first.

They did exist in ME1, but just in name. The Colonist background had Shepard's world raided by the Batarians.

Wulfram

They could easily branch out with side stories that are simply unrelated to the Reaper plot.

C-Sec: 2184 - You play a Turian security officer, a survivor of the Citadel battle in ME1. Restore stability in the wake of the disaster, investigate crimes, hunt notorious criminals taking refuge on the station, and get unwillingly thrust into cut throat politics of the Citadel races.

Doesn't that end up feeling like playing the guy who rearranges the deckchairs on the Titanic?

edit: Pre-DLC the Batarians were in the Codex looking like this
ME_codex_-_batarian_original.png

Doesn't that end up feeling like playing the guy who rearranges the deckchairs on the Titanic?

Not if they sell it right.

Oh man, that reminds me, a friend and I used to talk about a Grand Theft Citadel game, way back when ME1 had just come out. How great would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom