• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read that far ahead in the series personally, so I'm not sure of their detailed reasoning. Wikipedia says the following:

"Consequently, they planned to adjust the positions of stars in order to limit the damage the collision would cause. Also central to the Inhibitor project was the eradication of all species above a certain technological level until the crisis was over (as they believed no organic species would be capable of co-operating on such a large-scale project)."

But yes, it's not a surprise that this part of their nature is the least convincing aspect of their story. And for broadly the same reason - there is inadequate motivation given for why they could not simply act as police/overlords to "solve this problem" without simply wiping a bunch of species out.

The "dark energy" alternate motivation for the Reapers is arguably worse than what we ended up with, because the Reapers GIVE dark energy technology to all of the races of the galaxy. So if dark energy caused serious problems, they were making it worse by doing this.
hm, this is interesting. thanks, now I want to read more about revelation space

It's not like you won't purchase ME4 if they dont!
this is true, but my complaint is more of a thing about ea access as a whole, its absence on Ps4. i hope it doesn't stay this way much longer.

I expect it before Mass Effect is released. I think is just a deal they have with Microsoft, just like Titanfall, Peggle and Garden Warfare.
well titanfall is remaining an exclusive. its next installment may be multiplatform but the first one isn't coming off xbox. the rest are timed exclusives.

Well, the extended cut makes the ending OK, but the stargazer is still just puzzling.
That post was me agreeing with you. I didn't like the stargazer end and as far as the extended cut goes for me, the ending might as well have been unchanged. Some of the slideshows were cool, but it really did not make me feel any better about the game.

diaspora

That post was me agreeing with you. I didn't like the stargazer end and as far as the extended cut goes for me, the ending might as well have been unchanged. Some of the slideshows were cool, but it really did not make me feel any better about the game.

It's less about liking it and more about it just working. It probably would have been better if it ended with ONLY with "destroy".

edit: Would have been better if Shepard either had fully been KIA or been rescued, the gasp is just fucking halfassing it.

DOWN

Banned
I'll have to double check this, but I'm pretty sure if you include last gen consoles it was 50/50 for Microsoft and Sony, which is kinda interesting.

According to VG Chartz, PS4 beat Xbox One and 360 combined. Playstation 3 is shown as higher than 360 by a small margin too. EDIT: so inaccurate it's illegal

It's less about liking it and more about it just working. It probably would have been better if it ended with ONLY with "destroy".

edit: Would have been better if Shepard either had fully been KIA or been rescued, the gasp is just fucking halfassing it.
That is true, however, although they said they wouldn't change the ending and only add to it, they did have to make some changes in order for it to work. For instance, joker was flustered pre-excut, and he didn't seem bothered post-excut. The explosion that destroyed the citadel and the rgb shockwave were both much less intense than they were pre-excut, and the mass relays did not blow up in the same was as the one in arrival did.

speaking of arrival, the viper nebula was present in both versions of the ending too.

diaspora

That is true, however, although they said they wouldn't change the ending and only add to it, they did have to make some changes in order for it to work. For instance, joker was flustered pre-excut, and he didn't seem bothered post-excut. The explosion that destroyed the citadel and the rgb shockwave were both much less intense than they were pre-excut, and the mass relays did not blow up in the same was as the one in arrival did.

speaking of arrival, the viper nebula was present in both versions of the ending too.

Probably because the pre-extended cut ending would have fucked them up on potential sequels =P

According to VG Chartz, PS4 beat Xbox One and 360 combined. Playstation 3 is shown as higher than 360 by a small margin too.

VG Chartz 2: Tales from my Ass

Might as well reboot it tbh.

Edit: or just get away from the galactic community. No leading, armies, citadel, reapers, or cerberus. Just explore space.
well after only 3 games, the ME series doesn't really feel like it is due for a reboot. The system of gameplay they've been having has been engaging and entertaining, and for the most part working well.

by the way, congrats on having the 7,777th post in this thread.

diaspora

well after only 3 games, the ME series doesn't really feel like it is due for a reboot. The system of gameplay they've been having has been engaging and entertaining, and for the most part working well.

by the way, congrats on having the 7,777th post in this thread.
More of a soft reboot of the story. They don't have to retcon it as much as I'd like them to simply start telling a new one in the Galaxy, even if it means finding a worm hole to a different one.

Who thought the "stargazer" shit after the credits was a good idea? Someone slap them.
Get out of here with that shit. It was Buzz Aldrin, the man, the myth, the legend. The guy who walked on the moon and will punch you out if you deny that he did. I don't care if they had him reading the ingredients on the back of a cereal box. Buzz Aldrin was at the end of the Mass Effect trilogy. That's the kind of world I want to live in. The fact that he was talking about how huge and awesome space is made it even better.

More of a soft reboot of the story. They don't have to retcon it as much as I'd like them to simply start telling a new one in the Galaxy, even if it means finding a worm hole to a different one.
tbh, I'm not sure if I have anything specific I want. I just want the next game and play it.

Get out of here with that shit. It was Buzz Aldrin, the man, the myth, the legend. The guy who walked on the moon and will punch you out if you deny that he did. I don't care if they had him reading the ingredients on the back of a cereal box. Buzz Aldrin was at the end of the Mass Effect trilogy. That's the kind of world I want to live in. The fact that he was talking about how huge and awesome space is made it even better.
buzz aldrin is a legend but that doesn't make the ending any better.

TheFatMan

I just wanted to come here and say this is my favorite response of the year so far.

Hats off to you sir.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That's actually bold. Drop all the existing species. Go carte blanche. No Krogans, Salarians etc. Explain this is totally new stuff. NEW RACES ONLY.

Interesting.

I think this would be more passable for "old timers" if they announced ME1-3 HD Remaster alongside for $49.99 :p

The only way I would be happy at the news that ME4 is set in a new galaxy and we're ditching everything we know and love (for some dang reason) is the simultaneous news of a HD Remaster... the only way.

I don't want a Voyager ME4, I want a gorram true sequel ME4 with Humanity, Asari, Turians, Krogan fighting pits, 'Future Earth' and a rebuilt galactic society after the Reaper War... perhaps a new menace from another galaxy trying to invade the Milky Way, hmmmm.. perhaps we go to their galaxy to wipe them out..in a battle ARK (this is starting to sound OK actually haha...).

So just to reiterate BioWare, a HD Remaster makes most thing feel better.

Paganmoon

The gasp was only on one of the endings right? Did they ever explain it?

tbh, I'm not sure if I have anything specific I want. I just want the next game and play it.

buzz aldrin is a legend but that doesn't make the ending any better.

If they'd have Buzz punch the writers as the ending, it would've been so much better.

raindoc

Livechat with BioWare community managers:

Q: If Shepard was on the Citadel and it exploded in Destroy, how could he survive in the breath scene?

A: You assume Shepard survived. That could have just been a final breath before he/she died.

The question is "How could he survive to the breath scene", not "What happens immediately afterwards".
In other words: How did he survive the explosion, atmospheric reentry and impact on the surface of the earth without getting ripped apart, cut to shit by shrapnel, frozen solid, burnt up or smashed flat, even if only long enough for one last breath?

Maledict

I'm sorry but the fact they thought that saying the hidden breath scene from the destruction ending might just be Shepherd taking their last breath just sums up how fucking awful Bioware were about the ending of ME3. On what planet do they think this would be a good idea?

'Congrats on achieving an incredibly high EMS score. As a reward, we'll let you hear the last gasp of the character you've played with for 6 years as they die crushed and alone under some rubble'.

What was going through their heads at this point?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The breath scene in general infuriates me. I'd sooner have Shepard dead.

Not coincidentally, I prefer Synthesis and Control, so hey.

Plasma

Banned
The question is "How could he survive to the breath scene", not "What happens immediately afterwards".
In other words: How did he survive the explosion, atmospheric reentry and impact on the surface of the earth without getting ripped apart, cut to shit by shrapnel, frozen solid, burnt up or smashed flat, even if only long enough for one last breath?

Because he's Space Jesus.

wolfhowwl

Banned
It's wrong not to give people closure on their character especially after three games.

Shepard should have been burned alive from the inside out by their synthetic implants being destroyed.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sorry but the fact they thought that saying the hidden breath scene from the destruction ending might just be Shepherd taking their last breath just sums up how fucking awful Bioware were about the ending of ME3. On what planet do they think this would be a good idea?

'Congrats on achieving an incredibly high EMS score. As a reward, we'll let you hear the last gasp of the character you've played with for 6 years as they die crushed and alone under some rubble'.

Get this game out the door ASAP. That is the mantra behind the whole production.

The product they put out on launch day had corners cut in every single department, the story was as hurriedly cobbled together as everything else. Parts of it simply make no sense.

luslanz

Neo Member

That Q&A was with the community managers, not anyone involved in making the game. IIRC the writers confirmed Shepard and plenty of people on the Citadel survived the explosion.

BioWare can say what they want. My Space Jesus survived, was found by Miranda and spent the rest of his days having hot genetically-enhanced sex.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
That Q&A was with the community managers, not anyone involved in making the game. IIRC the writers confirmed Shepard and plenty of people on the Citadel survived the explosion.

The infamous quote there may have even been with (the otherwise delightful, haha) Jessica Merizan; I don't recall. Jessica and I chatted via PM a few times following ME3's original release and she wasn't privy to all the writers' intentions, that's for sure. She was considering the possibility of Indoctrination Theory at one point, or at least she claimed to me that she was.

diaspora

No it doesn't. The ending makes no sense no matter if it's original or extended cut. It's just more nonsense being said in the second case.
More nonsense? Citadel, reapers, AIs destroyed, relays damaged, people probably fix them, fin. It's not a good ending but it's functional. Problem is, all other scenarios are idiotic.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In regards to a remaster, I will say that if High Voltage software is the one that does the port, then I will likely not buy it. Their ports are some of the worst out there.

They did the following ports that were absolutely terrible.
Mortal Kombat X PC (I seriously pity anybody who buys the PS3/360 versions)
Saints Row IV (had the most unstable framerate and would often lock the PS4 and force a hard reset.)
Zone of Enders HD (was so bad another studio had to patch it)

nel e nel

Just saw this, made me laugh, so many lines worth hearing that can be easily missed if you have the "wrong" squadmate :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUy0pqoW2oQ

This is also worth a repost:

http://skoolmunkee.tumblr.com/tagged/javik

tumblr_m1k70gf5gX1r436hfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m1csznEK3m1r436hfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m1csznEK3m1r436hfo8_500.jpg

In regards to a remaster, I will say that if High Voltage software is the one that does the port, then I will likely not buy it. Their ports are some of the worst out there.

They did the following ports that were absolutely terrible.
Mortal Kombat X PC (I seriously pity anybody who buys the PS3/360 versions)
Saints Row IV (had the most unstable framerate and would often lock the PS4 and force a hard reset.)
Zone of Enders HD (was so bad another studio had to patch it)
the only times ME was outsourced was to edge of reality and demiurge studios and it was both for Me1 ports. I didn't think about that before though I thought all this time it would've been bioware doing the remaster.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
the only times ME was outsourced was to edge of reality and demiurge studios and it was both for Me1 ports. I didn't think about that before though I thought all this time it would've been bioware doing the remaster.

They have their hands full with the next ME, if a remaster does happen, you can bet it will be outsourced.

They have their hands full with the next ME, if a remaster does happen, you can bet it will be outsourced.
word, yeah. I didn't pay much attention to this high voltage shit, and I'll wait for some reception on the ME remaster, but I'll still end up buying it hopefully.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

How do you know they have their hands FULL?

I love how people throw up these blanket statements and really don't have a clue.

Unless you're an insider and/or work at Bioware you couldn't possibly know. They could have easily kept it in house and diverted a few less busy members to work on it and/or hired additional people to work on it. Doing ports in house has its own set of advantages too. Naughty Dog and The Last of Us Remastered is proof.

Plus, Mass Effect 4 is being developed my Bioware Montreal, not Bioware Edmonton.

Having said that, it will PROBABLY get outsourced and I can't say it matters too much to me if it does as long as it's not High Voltage Studios. Bluepoint would pretty much make it an instant buy.

On topic of Cerberus - I really dislike how they are the 2nd bad guys in ME3 as most of us - but one thing is interesting. How the POV changed from ME2 to ME3. Imagine all those "versus Cerberus" missions in ME3: Tuchanka Cannons, Tuchanka Bomb, recovering Jarvik, Grissom Academy etc. - The Illusive Man would send YOU (Shepard and his team) as THE Cerberus Team to perform them if it was ME2 instead of ME3. You would be landing in a Cerberus shuttle and fighting with some resistance (with who?).

It's super minor thing but it's just something that occured to me today. After all we all landed in Cerberus shuttles on missions back in ME2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom