• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can you imagine a hidden CERBERUS CELL being in the new galaxy already?

Boy, that would be fun, wouldn't it?

You are the great grandson/daughter of The Illusive Man, heading the Pathfinder Initiative, an outer-galaxy exploration program built by the ARKCON branch of Cerberus. Backed by a diverse human team of Cerberus misfits, you embark on a breathtaking journey to the Andromeda galaxy, in a quest to hunt down and destroy a rogue Cerberus group responsible for big bads. Will you have what it takes to bring these Cerberus outcasts to swift human justice?

MASS EFFECT: CERBERUS

Mac Walters is still the head writer, right?

Given that Cerberus is his baby, I wouldn't be shocked if there's a revelation that some crew member is working for Cerberus and there's suddenly a mission in the ARK or whatever where you're fighting them on the ARK itself.

Cerebus from Mass Effect 2 IMO was fantastic. The Illusive Man was one of my favorite characters in that you always understood where he was coming from.

Sadly, they turned them into a freakshow for ME3.

Skitso78

If they are moving the game to a new galaxy, they need to get the Citadel and other trademark stuff there too. So what if the Citadel is the ark, a life boat, a chance for a new beginning, a new hope? It's packed with all possible races and familiar technology, Normandy, Mako etc. after all.

At the beginning of the game, it's made clear that after the Reaper wars, everything is lost, the milky way can't sustain life as it is and like 5 hours in, they could fly Citadel through a worm hole/mass relay to a new galaxy, then fade to black -> 1000 years later -> a brand new galaxy with citadel, known races spread all over plus tons of new, familiar tech and stuff but no old baggage. Perfect combination.

Patryn

Cerebus from Mass Effect 2 IMO was fantastic. The Illusive Man was one of my favorite characters in that you always understood where he was coming from.

Sadly, they turned them into a freakshow for ME3.

I still feel that the portrayal of Cerberus in ME2 is the odd man out.

The Cerberus of ME3 lines up somewhat well with the Cerberus of ME1, honestly. It's still not a perfect match, but at least they're both totally villainous organizations.

I still feel that the portrayal of Cerberus in ME2 is the odd man out.

The Cerberus of ME3 lines up somewhat well with the Cerberus of ME1, honestly. It's still not a perfect match, but at least they're both totally villainous organizations.

It's not difficult to understand, honestly; they're putting their best face forward towards Shepard.

Setting ME4 in a different galaxy doesn't let them avoid addressing the ending of ME3.

You still have to answer the same questions: Did Shepard even choose to save the current cycle, or was it left to the next one? If so, did synthesis occur? And are the krogan, quarians, and geth still alive? (Unless you want the only aliens you encounter to be turians, asari, and salarians, and the others are just never referenced again.)

Since you're going to play as a human, I assume that the cycle was saved, ruling out the "refusal" ending. If they've already ruled out one ending, I see no reason why they shouldn't just choose whichever ending gives them the fewest problems and roll with it.

Regardless, all those questions need to be answered, whether the setting is the Milky Way or Andromeda.

If it's not a sequel, however, you don't need to answer any of those questions. But that also means that there's then no reason to set the game in another galaxy, since the game's canon hasn't been broken yet.

Patryn

Do you think we'll know who's composing for this come it's reveal?

I doubt it. If they do announce a name, it'll likely end up like the Clint Mansell thing where they get a "name" who does a handful of tracks, while the bulk of the soundtrack is composed by somebody else.

Toa TAK

Banned
I doubt it. If they do announce a name, it'll likely end up like the Clint Mansell thing where they get a "name" who does a handful of tracks, while the bulk of the soundtrack is composed by somebody else.
I wish he did a handful of tracks instead of 2.

Setting ME4 in a different galaxy doesn't let them avoid addressing the ending of ME3.

You still have to answer the same questions: Did Shepard even choose to save the current cycle, or was it left to the next one? If so, did synthesis occur? And are the krogan, quarians, and geth still alive? (Unless you want the only aliens you encounter to be turians, asari, and salarians, and the others are just never referenced again.)

Since you're going to play as a human, I assume that the cycle was saved, ruling out the "refusal" ending. If they've already ruled out one ending, I see no reason why they shouldn't just choose whichever ending gives them the fewest problems and roll with it.

Regardless, all those questions need to be answered, whether the setting is the Milky Way or Andromeda.

If it's not a sequel, however, you don't need to answer any of those questions. But that also means that there's then no reason to set the game in another galaxy, since the game's canon hasn't been broken yet.

Let's assume ME4 takes place in a different galaxy. You and your team on the ARK travels there via last Mass Relay before they are destroyed/ disabled whatever. You do the main quest whatever that is.

Now imagine if in ME5 you take that team and get back to Milky Way (somehow) and it is all destroyed and shit. All the nebulas and etas mixed together, planets collided, Earth nowhere to be found... how cool that would be?

ME5: In Search of Eden

Carn82

If they are moving the game to a new galaxy, they need to get the Citadel and other trademark stuff there too. So what if the Citadel is the ark, a life boat, a chance for a new beginning, a new hope? It's packed with all possible races and familiar technology, Normandy, Mako etc. after all.

At the beginning of the game, it's made clear that after the Reaper wars, everything is lost, the milky way can't sustain life as it is and like 5 hours in, they could fly Citadel through a worm hole/mass relay to a new galaxy, then fade to black -> 1000 years later -> a brand new galaxy with citadel, known races spread all over plus tons of new, familiar tech and stuff but no old baggage. Perfect combination.

or..what if a deep-space exploration mission discovered ANOTHER Citadel, run by strange new alien species? -Inception horns-

Carn82

Let's assume ME4 takes place in a different galaxy. You and your team on the ARK travels there via last Mass Relay before they are destroyed/ disabled whatever. You do the main quest whatever that is.

Now imagine if in ME5 you take that team and get back to Milky Way (somehow) and it is all destroyed and shit. All the nebulas and etas mixed together, planets collided, Earth nowhere to be found... how cool that would be?

ME5: In Search of Eden

Sounds a bit too much like Voyager or BSG ;o

Sure it does, they just have to depart before the end of ME3.

Lakitu

st5fu
Could this be the Ark?

12mf-MnNQBO2.jpg

BokehKing

Banned
? did they take away servers/support for Me3 mp or something?

and yeah, I'm not sure if I'd wanna be playing through the whole campaign in all the games from trying out different classes in mp, but I did have a hell of a lot of fun playing as classes I never did in single player. Infiltrator, to be exact.

No longer own last gen systems

Sure it does, they just have to depart before the end of ME3.
I addressed this.

I am not in any way in favor of this. Going to a new galaxy just seems...dumb.
It just seems like you're going too far away from Mass Effect. No Citadel doesn't sit well with me. It's just too iconic. Distancing yourself from the Shepard trilogy is one thing, but to move parsecs away is not necessary.

Also, I actually think Bioware WILL, yes WILL pick an ending to be canon. Maybe merge a few endings, but I think they are keeping it extremely quiet so they don't have to deal with backlash prior to game shipping.
I agree. Honestly I can totally see them setting the game in a new galaxy or galaxies, but I'd really rather them keep it all in the milky way. There are 300 billion stars/solar systems right in the milky way galaxy, which means there's so much of it that could still be explored. there's no need to broaden the scope and go to a new galaxy.

when I first played ME, I appreciated how they kept things within the confines of the milky way galaxy. this is science fiction, but it added a level of realism imo.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I expect it before Mass Effect is released. I think is just a deal they have with Microsoft, just like Titanfall, Peggle and Garden Warfare.

The deal with EA Access is nothing remotely close to the deal MS had for those games.

There is nothing that should lead anyone to believe that MS will get a timed exclusive for Mass Effect 4.

Patryn

The deal with EA Access is nothing remotely close to the deal MS had for those games.

There is nothing that should lead anyone to believe that MS will get a timed exclusive for Mass Effect 4.

There actually is, depending on your definition of "timed exclusive".

As has been said, I expect there to be a period of exclusivity on EA Access where XBox One players will be able to play the game for a limited time prior to release.

I believe Dragon Age Inquisition let XBox One EA Access members play for 5 hours? I expect the same for ME4.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

As has been said, I expect there to be a period of exclusivity on EA Access where XBox One players will be able to play the game for a limited time prior to release.

I believe Dragon Age Inquisition let XBox One EA Access members play for 5 hours? I expect the same for ME4.

Im talking about the timed exclusive period for the games he mentioned. Although Titanfall will not come to PS4. Those games had mere months of an exclusive period.

Major difference from EA Access. Major difference.

DOWN

Banned

It's an Access thing. Has nothing to do with Xbox and was available on PC. They have confirmed the Access premiere will happen for Battlefront this holiday.

There's no indication of who is marketing or partnering for exclusivity for a game based on its Access pre-release trial. If Access comes to PS4 eventually, it will get the same premiere timing as everyone else.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
He was talking about EA Access?

Ok, now I see what he is saying.

Eh, EA Access isn't that big of a deal. Being able to get things early just doesn't entice me all that much.

EA has got to be the least interesting publishers as far as Im concerned.

Bethesda, Take Two and Ubisoft would have my interest far more. Although, I have such a love hate relationship with Ubisoft.

Lucreto

I seemed to have caused some confusion so I will further clarify. I see EA Access not as Sony saying no but Microsoft working a deal for for a year exclusivity, just like Titanfall exclusivity, and the timed exclusivity for Garden Warfare and Peggle, it is all part of a wider deal.

I see EA Access on PS4 before the end of the year.

I don't want to turn this topic into an EA Access debate so we can nip it is the bud here please.

The ARK idea also naturally gravitates to the idea of it being set prior to the end of ME3.

Why are they sending an ark? Because of the Reapers.

Could be something that was created during the events of Mass Effect 3, could also be something they made in case they didn't kill all of the Reapers. They only destroyed Reapers in the Milky Way, maybe they built the Ark in case there are more.

I seemed to have caused some confusion so I will further clarify. I see EA Access not as Sony saying no but Microsoft working a deal for for a year exclusivity, just like Titanfall exclusivity, and the timed exclusivity for Garden Warfare and Peggle, it is all part of a wider deal.

I see EA Access on PS4 before the end of the year.

I don't want to turn this topic into an EA Access debate so we can nip it is the bud here please.

I'd like to, but first: do you think that Sony was lying when they said they refused to allow EA Access on their platform?

Lucreto

I'd like to, but first: do you think that Sony was lying when they said they refused to allow EA Access on their platform?

Lying in the same way Microsoft says Tomb Raider is exclusive. If you look at the response they gave for EA Access they up played there own service.

If you look at the response they gave for Tomb Raider they up played there first party studios and the fact they don't buy exclusive deals.

To me it sounds like standard PR statement because they can't talk about it.

Lying in the same way Microsoft says Tomb Raider is exclusive. If you look at the response they gave for EA Access they up played there own service.

If you look at the response they gave for Tomb Raider they up played there first party studios and the fact they don't buy exclusive deals.

To me it sounds like standard PR statement because they can't talk about it.

I guess, man. To me it sounds like they declined to have it on their platform because they didn't want it competing with their service.

Lucreto

I guess, man. To me it sounds like they declined to have it on their platform because they didn't want it competing with their service.

To me the two statements reads the same but I am surprised I am alone on that opinion. People call out Microsoft on their exclusives PR all the time. If Sony do it, it is gospel truth. They had to comment, they up played their own service.

It is business courtesy to not break these deals like after Microsoft announced the Tomb Raider exclusive, Sony coming along saying 10 minutes later announcing that it will be on PS4 by June 2016, it is not good business practice.

If I really wanted to stretch this to its limit I could say Greenbergs Battlefront comment would be proof on Microsoft exclusivity. EA and Sony could work out a deal tomorrow but the fact he is saying that now before they even give a release date points he knows more than he is saying. But as I said that part is a stretch to the point of conspiracy theory.

It still doesn't explain why EA doesn't offer it through Origin.

This as well. You think PC would have EA Access as well. If it was Sony saying No it would be on PC anyway.

Okay, too off topic and I won't comment on it any further this is a Mass Effect thread after all.

It still doesn't explain why EA doesn't offer it through Origin.

Two different reasons, I'd imagine. Maybe they just didn't figure the market was there on PC, or maybe there's some technical limitation. Dunno.

Anyway, Mass Effect! That shot everybody thought was the citadel is probably the Ark, good catch dude-on-last-page.

Man, we really convinced ourselves that it will be about ARK (like Noah's) and shit. Impressive. I will be kinda disappointed now if it does not feature an Ark with known species, ha.

All this talk about Mass Effect almost tempted me to replay the series. Then I saw how much they are charging for Leviathan, Omega, and Citadel and said fuck that. $40 for 3 year old DLC seems insane, especially since you can buy ME1-3 for $20 right now on Origin.

Man, we really convinced ourselves that it will be about ARK (like Noah's) and shit. Impressive. I will be kinda disappointed now if it does not feature an Ark with known species, ha.

It just fits so well!

Plus, it could act like your Skyhold, which I loved.

A little more customization and progression would be nice, though.

Lucreto

I expect a Star Trek Voyager or Stargate Atlantis type game.

I expect they will find something new with the relays and be able to use them to escape the Galaxy. A bit like the eight chevron in Stargate. Meet a villainous race they continued to evolved with no Reaper presence to stop them.

Or an advanced entity abducts a ship like the Caretaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom