• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

On topic of Cerberus - I really dislike how they are the 2nd bad guys in ME3 as most of us - but one thing is interesting. How the POV changed from ME2 to ME3. Imagine all those "versus Cerberus" missions in ME3: Tuchanka Cannons, Tuchanka Bomb, recovering Jarvik, Grissom Academy etc. - The Illusive Man would send YOU (Shepard and his team) as THE Cerberus Team to perform them if it was ME2 instead of ME3. You would be landing in a Cerberus shuttle and fighting with some resistance (with who?).

It's super minor thing but it's just something that occured to me today. After all we all landed in Cerberus shuttles on missions back in ME2...
That doesn't really make much sense, Shepard was brought back to Cerberus for the very specific task of stopping the collectors. ME3 makes it clear that they showed him their vest/cleanest face, not the most honest one. Having him go up against the Alliance and other friendly forces in ME2 or 3 would have been counter productive to the Illusive Man.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On topic of Cerberus - I really dislike how they are the 2nd bad guys in ME3 as most of us - but one thing is interesting. How the POV changed from ME2 to ME3. Imagine all those "versus Cerberus" missions in ME3: Tuchanka Cannons, Tuchanka Bomb, recovering Jarvik, Grissom Academy etc. - The Illusive Man would send YOU (Shepard and his team) as THE Cerberus Team to perform them if it was ME2 instead of ME3. You would be landing in a Cerberus shuttle and fighting with some resistance (with who?).

It's super minor thing but it's just something that occured to me today. After all we all landed in Cerberus shuttles on missions back in ME2...

Shepard would NEVER have fought against the Alliance. That argument fails.

Patryn

Again, you spend 2 games fighting Cerberus.

Cerberus is responsible for the most traumatic moment of Sole Survivor's Shepard's life.

If there's something to dislike, it's how Shepard works with them at all. That's the incongruity.

Again, you spend 2 games fighting Cerberus.

Cerberus is responsible for the most traumatic moment of Sole Survivor's Shepard's life.

If there's something to dislike, it's how Shepard works with them at all. That's the incongruity.
if the alliance was ignoring human abductions, it's for the galaxy's best to work with cerberus if they're the only ones who give a shit.

Toa TAK

Banned
hagDl3y.png

Don't play with my heart.

Trigger

that's not what the narrative of Me2 made it seem. but no, I don't fully remember vega's backstory other than he tried taking on the collectors and I don't know what "VS" is.

"Virmire Survivor" aka Kaidan and Ashley, who were also looking into the human abductions.

Patryn

that's not what the narrative of Me2 made it seem. but no, I don't fully remember vega's backstory other than he tried taking on the collectors and I don't know what "VS" is.
The Virmire Survivor. Who was busy secretly setting up defenses for the colonies. Remember Horizon?

I'm not saying the Alliance was doing a perfect job, but they were definitely doing stuff, despite what the IM claimed. It's entirely possible Shepard would have been able to stop things if she worked with the Alliance.

diaspora

The Virmire Survivor. Who was busy secretly setting up defenses for the colonies. Remember Horizon?

I'm not saying the Alliance was doing a perfect job, but they were definitely doing stuff, despite what the IM claimed. It's entirely possible Shepard would have been able to stop things if she worked with the Alliance.
Shepard was in contact with Hackett while "with" Cerberus in ME2. It's actually a good deal, Hackett gets Shepard to take advantage of Cerberus resources to fight the collectors in ME2, and return to the Alliance in full once the mission is complete.

"Virmire Survivor" aka Kaidan and Ashley, who were also looking into the human abductions.
oh, right. thanks.

yes I remember horizon. everyone in Me2 was shunning shepard for working with cerberus, and I thought at first the game wanted the player to just have an ambiguous mindset of what cerberus was supposed to be but instead, come Me3 the in-game suspicion all turned out to be true.

anyways, as far as the alliance goes, if they were as serious about finding the humans as cerberus then they should've trusted shepard, and worked together. the council which is bigger than the alliance wasn't caring either although it was just a threat to humans, but still.

by the way with all this talk of cerberus and the alliance, i just wanted to say that the normandy was way cooler looking as a cerberus vessel than an alliance one.
Shepard was in contact with Hackett while "with" Cerberus in ME2. It's actually a good deal, Hackett gets Shepard to take advantage of Cerberus resources to fight the collectors in ME2, and return to the Alliance in full once the mission is complete.
huh? I only remember shepard talking to hackett in Me2 during arrival. that's it.

Patryn

oh, right. thanks.
yes I remember horizon. everyone in Me2 was shunning shepard for working with cerberus, and I thought at first the game wanted the player to just have an ambiguous mindset of what cerberus was supposed to be but instead, come Me3 the in-game suspicion all turned out to be true.

anyways, as far as the alliance goes, if they were as serious about finding the humans as cerberus then they should've trusted shepard, and worked together. the council which is bigger than the alliance wasn't caring either although it was just a threat to humans, but still.

by the way with all this talk of cerberus and the alliance, i just wanted to say that the normandy was way cooler looking as a cerberus vessel than an alliance one.
huh? I only remember shepard talking to hackett in Me2 during arrival. that's it.
Frankly, the shunning makes sense. Shepard was lucky they didn't shoot at her.

Cerberus was responsible for the death of at least one admiral and two squads of marines. They commonly employed subterfuge to achieve their ends. They were clearly a hostile organization and Shepard was missing for two years. The VS is in the right on Horizon. Shepard should have turned herself in for a debrief at that point.

diaspora

oh, right. thanks.

They exchanged messages.

Frankly, the shunning makes sense. Shepard was lucky they didn't shoot at her.

Cerberus was responsible for the death of at least one admiral and two squads of marines. They commonly employed subterfuge to achieve their ends. They were clearly a hostile organization and Shepard was missing for two years. The VS is in the right on Horizon. Shepard should have turned herself in for a debrief at that point.
shepard was lucky who didn't shoot at who? and, how much was cerberus involved in Me1?

I get what you're saying here, but... I would've much rather liked to have proved VS wrong when they kept saying "you're working with the enemy, they're working with the collectors" like yes cerberus and TIM have done horrible stuff and cerberus's MO in Me3 is everything the player probably expected but I would've rather had something occur that would make the alliance and the council say something like "we were wrong and for once cerberus was doing the right thing"

as far as your last statement about shepard coming in for a debriefing, I suppose yeah that would've been cool. considering of course the fact that there weren't even that many story missions in Me2.
They exchanged messages.
who?

Patryn

shepard was lucky who didn't shoot at who? and, how much was cerberus involved in Me1?

I get what you're saying here, but... I would've much rather liked to have proved VS wrong when they kept saying "you're working with the enemy, they're working with the collectors" like yes cerberus and TIM have done horrible stuff and cerberus's MO in Me3 is everything the player probably expected but I would've rather had something occur that would make the alliance and the council say something like "we were wrong and for once cerberus was doing the right thing"

as far as your last statement about shepard coming in for a debriefing, I suppose yeah that would've been cool. considering of course the fact that there weren't even that many story missions in Me2.

who?

I was saying Shepard is lucky that the VS didn't treat Shepard as hostile, given that she was with Cerberus.

Cerberus was involved in a bunch of side quests, most of which involved it having murdered Alliance squads, officers or civilians.

They killed a squad on Akuze to study Thresher Maws, they killed Admiral Kahoku's men on Edolus, and then they killed Kahoku himself when he looked for answers.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The tonal whiplash from the Cerberus in ME1 to the Cerberus in ME2 (and the reversion in ME3) is one of the biggest complaints I have with the series.

If they'd been more of a Shadow-Broker-esque, (ominous, but not flat-out villainous) presence it could have worked out better, but with how much direct 'evilness' they showed, having them suddenly be the Saviors, and the Council/Alliance revert to pre-Sovereign levels, is pretty out there.

Hackett. Shephard and Hackett emailed each other during ME2.
oh, okay. I should look into that, I never took a full read out of the emails.

Noooo... I was about to shed a tear of happiness. I want that collection so bad.... god damn it
same man =(

I was saying Shepard is lucky that the VS didn't treat Shepard as hostile, given that she was with Cerberus.

Cerberus was involved in a bunch of side quests, most of which involved it having murdered Alliance squads, officers or civilians.

They killed a squad on Akuze to study Thresher Maws, they killed Admiral Kahoku's men on Edolus, and then they killed Kahoku himself when he looked for answers.
well that would've been a big mistake for VS if they did. and in the end, you were a hero again in Me2, it wasn't all for nothing, so VS shouldn't have walked away from shepard on horizon.

Not yet, but that would be the only motivation to play Minecraft- to get my Mass Effect fix.
lol, if that's why you'd play it you might as well play one of the actual games...
Hackett and Liara to get his tags back to Shepard when he eventually returned, later Hackett and Shepard to inform him of the memorial iirc.
was this through emails? I don't remember shepard getting his tags back in Me2.

diaspora

oh, okay. I should look into that, I never took a full read out of the emails.

same man =(

well that would've been a big mistake for VS if they did. and in the end, you were a hero again in Me2, it wasn't all for nothing, so VS shouldn't have walked away from shepard on horizon.

lol, if that's why you'd play it you might as well play one of the actual games...
was this through emails? I don't remember shepard getting his tags back in Me2.

Hackett gave his tags to Liara who gave them to Shepard in Shadow Broker. Liara kept Hackett in the know in terms of what happened with his body I think.

Patryn

You're using information that the VS didn't have to justify why they were wrong.

The VS was right not to trust Shepard on Horizon, and to totally question her on her actions and motives.

That whole conversation is super poorly written.

CLBridges

My heart skipped a beat when I saw that box art, then I saw the spoiler lol. I know I've played through the games many times, but I would be day one on PS4 remaster. E3 announcement for sure, I bet!

diaspora

Just realizing now that the galaxy map in the ME4 E3 2014 teaser looks nothing like the milky way. Don't know how I'm noticing this now.

That box art though!

Oh hey what's this spoiler...

Son of a...!

😢

I can't imagine it wouldn't be worth it for Bioware to get a remastered trilogy out the door. Maybe E3 will give us a remaster announcement along with the inevitable tease for ME4 that they'll show.

Hackett gave his tags to Liara who gave them to Shepard in Shadow Broker. Liara kept Hackett in the know in terms of what happened with his body I think.
OK. I don't remember any of that from my playthroughs of shadow broker but i'll take your word for it.
You're using information that the VS didn't have to justify why they were wrong.

The VS was right not to trust Shepard on Horizon, and to totally question her on her actions and motives.

That whole conversation is super poorly written.
Yes, I'll agree with you there. That makes sense to me now that you said it.

As for your first statement, VS says they would've followed shepard anywhere, well they should've trusted shepard there too. they weren't wrong - the game ended with you saving the day, after all.

Just realizing now that the galaxy map in the ME4 E3 2014 teaser looks nothing like the milky way. Don't know how I'm noticing this now.
yes, but it could just be nothing but concept art.

or the milkomeda galaxy, several billion years after milky way and andromeda have collided. which would technically mean it's not a new setting.

A few pages back I asked about ME3 DLC. I bought them all and played through the following:

1) Just beat the Omega DLC in ME3. So, so good and long. Loved how bad-ass Aria is. My 100% Paragon Shepard blew Petrovsky's brains the fuck out in the end because, hey, nobody fucks with Omega!. And having the final battle in the Afterlife club. Genious.

Incredible visuals in the DLC as well - Omega's skyline when climbing that one ladder with Aria, the mines (crazy geometry). Having Aria and the other girl setting up camps was very nice and allowed for the such needed pacing space between Atlas fights.

Very, very good DLC right on par with the Lair of the Shadow Broker for me even if Lair had more varied locations.

2) The From Ashes DLC was pretty meh and short. I am not planning to use Javik at all so I cannot value/ appreciate it very much. Last living Prothean? And he doesn't know shit about Crucible? And he cannot help you at all? Sounds shoehorned as fuck.

3) Tried out the Leviathan DLC as well and got destroyed... first time I've encountered Banshees (2 at the same time!) and well I don't have at the moment anything to counter them (I am not levelling up my chars yet, mind you, they are sitting on 50+ skill points to be assigned). I will try it again before the end of the game. *shrugs* Still, it is much more interesting and much more better than From Ashes DLC from what I saw. Felt very Dead Space-y.

ME3 DLC Rating:

1. Omega
2. Leviathan
3. From Ashes

Did not play The Citadel yet.

Kabouter

2) The From Ashes DLC was pretty meh and short. I am not planning to use Javik at all so I cannot value/ appreciate it very much. Last living Prothean? And he doesn't know shit about Crubicle? And he cannot help you at all? Sounds shoehorned as fuck.

If nothing else, at least bring him to Thessia, or miss out on major content. Of course in general he's one of the best characters in ME3 so you should bring him everywhere, but even if you don't do that, at least bring him to Thessia.

If nothing else, at least bring him to Thessia, or miss out on major content. Of course in general he's one of the best characters in ME3 so you should bring him everywhere, but even if you don't do that, at least bring him to Thessia.

By best characters do you mean best as "broken" like Kasumi and her insta-death attack? Or best as best character development and dialogues?

DOWN

Banned
I left From Ashes out because I frankly find it hard to believe it was important to the original cut of the game if they left it out for so many people's first playthroughs. And it seemed rather far fetched that you would get a prothean squad member. Felt a bit like some face value marketing that they knew some people would eat up from the portions and marketing I saw. Seems like a living prothean would be quite a dramatic twist in the series no? Yet somehow, the game seems to have actually been written first without him and he was slipped in for DLC. To me that seems like two dramatically different versions of the canon, but one was unimportant enough and perhaps such an afterthought that it wasn't put in the core game.

I prefer the ME1 and 2 suggestion that there is a lost mystery in what happened to them really. Some went dormant, some were taken by reapers, and all you get is what was left behind of their minds when they had them. Some bold ruins, technology, questions, and empathy for their ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom