• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Ok, was this a result of last gen --> current gen? Or was it not even possible if you got a last gen version of the game?

Not possible at all, hence my definitive "No."

There was no importing no matter what platforms you played in.

So no to PS3, 360, PC, PS4, XBox One and any future platforms it may appear on.

diaspora

I see. I can definitely see why someone would be annoyed by that, but there's almost no game where you can get all of the trophies/achievements on the first go.

Ok, was this a result of last gen --> current gen? Or was it not even possible if you got a last gen version of the game?

No save importing period.

Patryn

Honestly, I think that's stupid.

No, it's smart. To allow save importing would have meant a lot of work creating a save importing system. Odds are that the way the data is stored on the Keep is totally different from how it's saved in a save file. So they would have to create an entire new parsing system to extract the information from save files. That's a non-trivial task.

In addition, current gen was clearly a higher priority than last gen, so why waste time, money and resources on a system that only a small fraction of the player base will utilize?

It's also more useful to the player, because they can set their worldstate as they wish, instead of having to play through the entire series all over again.

The Keep is the future. Better that players embrace it now.

diaspora

No, it's smart. To allow save importing would have meant a lot of work creating a save importing system. Odds are that the way the data is stored on the Keep is totally different from how it's saved in a save file. So they would have to create an entire new parsing system to extract the information from save files. That's not a non-trivial task.

In addition, current gen was clearly a higher priority than last gen, so why waste time, money and resources on a system that only a small fraction of the player base will utilize?

It's also more useful to the player, because they can set their worldstate as they wish, instead of having to play through the entire series all over again.

This is part of how I was able to tackle 3 Inquisition playthroughs.

I don't care for save importing TBH, the Keep is a much better choice for being able to play through Inquisition under different world states.
For someone who never even played the previous two games, will the keep even make much sense? is everything put into context like genesis?

No, it's smart. To allow save importing would have meant a lot of work creating a save importing system. Odds are that the way the data is stored on the Keep is totally different from how it's saved in a save file. So they would have to create an entire new parsing system to extract the information from save files. That's a non-trivial task.

alright, fair enough. I just liked the way ME did it with save file importing is all.

prag16

Banned
oh, man. the ME film is supposed to be based on shepard's story yeah? I hope yvonne will be around to do the film.

0.jpg

An-Det

Mass Effect 1 has achievements for bringing each squad member on a majority of all missions in the game.

Because of that, you'll need at least 3 playthroughs in which you do a significant amount of the side content to get them all.

In addition, getting Liara's also means that you hold off on doing pretty much all the Citadel sidequests until you get her.

Those definitely sucked. When I went for those (with a maxed level guy on lowest difficulty) I managed to do it the first time in 18 hours (Friday and Saturday) and then the second time in 12 hours (one sitting on Sunday) after knowing the tricks and locations.

Worst part is I knowing that I'll happily do it all over again for a remaster.

Patryn

For someone who never even played the previous two games, will the keep even make much sense? is everything put into context like genesis?

Not really, no.

But if you haven't played the previous games, you're better off just accepting the default world state.

The importing doesn't have the same impact as, say, Mass Effect. The changes are relatively minor and would mean little to someone who hasn't played the previous games.

What film?

There's a Mass Effect film that's stuck in development hell.

Rumor has it set during the First Contact War, and having nothing to do with Shepard.

I doubt it'll ever actually get made.

diaspora

Not really, no.

But if you haven't played the previous games, you're better off just accepting the default world state.

The importing doesn't have the same impact as, say, Mass Effect. The changes are relatively minor and would mean little to someone who hasn't played the previous games.

Isn't
Flemeth/Mythal getting/not getting Urthemiel's soul
pretty vital?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Not really, no.

Something similar to saving that Asari scientist working for Saren in ME1 and seeing her again in ME2 during Grunt's recruiting mission? :p

Meaty

Inquisition does take a lot of the choices from the previous games into consideration for the lore and world state. But I also do think that the world of Thedas is much better written and well thought out compared to ME's.

Yeah but it takes the stance of being far away from most of the choices.

When you are doing a direct sequel, thats not really possible.

Inquisition is able to ignore if you aided the werewolves or the elves, bhelen or Harrowmont.

That will not affect the main history whatsoever, only the war table missions, which are a nice touch since it keeps old players happy about their choices, while not having to spend too much resources into variables.

Being able to ignore the Rachni queen in the mass effect series for example, would prevent that horrible excuse bioware gave of the "evil close queen".

TL;DR If your sequel is not connected directly, you are able to distance yourself from previous choices and that will save you the headache of having to do cheap solutions

Patryn

Something similar to saving that Asari scientist working for Saren in ME1 and seeing her again in ME2 during Grunt's recruiting mission? :p

True, there's that.

But then compare that with something like having, say, Miranda dead. Or Garrus or Tali dead.

That has major ramifications in later games in a way that none of Dragon Age's choices do.

diaspora

True, there's that.

But then compare that with something like having, say, Miranda dead. Or Garrus or Tali dead.

That has major ramifications in later games in a way that none of Dragon Age's choices do.

DA's choices are largely lore-based- and they can make big changes to the overarching story, which is honestly I think a direction ME needs to move into. ME as a series lets you make choices it can't really reconcile over many games.

DOWN

Banned
You guys know that you can have The Keep play all of the selections you made as a narrated short film right? Totally disagree that it doesn't give context like ME for new players. It makes the world state into a pretty good video explaining the events.

diaspora

You guys know that you can have The Keep play all of the selections you made as a narrated short film right? Totally disagree that it doesn't give context like ME for new players. It makes the world state into a pretty good video explaining the events.

I completely forgot about this, but you're right.

edit: part of Mass Effect's problem, and this is true of the ending of 3 is that the game lets you make choices you as the player have no business making.

edit 2: Look at choices made in ME1: these are the same kind of choices you make in DA, who in your party lives/dies, and if you save the council, or if spare the rachni. These are changes that can affect the world state, but when you fuck with entire species like the Krogan, Geth or Quarians, it'd be like DA letting you wipe out all Elves/Dwarves from Thedas, letting the player make such choices will fuck your narrative order bad.

Lakitu

st5fu
Isn't that 6 months away? I was hoping for something as soon as E3.

I guess N7 day is technically Mass Effect Celebration. But I was just joking because of a certain other space opera series having a celebration these last couple of days.

An E3 reveal is a certainty IMO :)

diaspora

I guess N7 day is technically Mass Effect Celebration. But I was just joking because of a certain other space opera series having a celebration these last couple of days.

An E3 reveal is a certainty IMO :)
I'm holding you to this. I'm committing sudoku if you're wrong ;_;.

So I heard a while back that there was talk of a ME and ffs crossover. Is that a project still in the works or was it nothing more than that n7 armor dlc for one of those games

Man, all this Star wars battlefront information today has me craving for some kind of teaser trailer for Mass Effect 4.

It could be a quick little reveal/teaser with the title attached and I would be satisfied. Anything, really at this point, the wait kills us all.

Patryn

So I heard a while back that there was talk of a ME and ffs crossover. Is that a project still in the works or was it nothing more than that n7 armor dlc for one of those games

It was the appearance DLC.

Frankly, I don't want a FF and ME crossover.

Let ME live on its own. It doesn't need that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom