• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

She was barely religious. I think the closest she got to that was some stuff in ME3 and Keelah Salai (I'm totally misspelling that).

wtfbama.gif

wat

No dude.

Keelah Se'lai

Liara was more religious than her with all the "Goddess!" she keep saying everytime something terrible or surprising happen, and that isn't much anyway.

Tali and Liara were hardly religious. Liara saying "Goddess" all the time is akin to someone going "JESUS!" every time they almost die.

To be fair, the Quarians do have this religious like reverence for their ancestors and homeworld, and they are only 300 years removed from full blown ancestor worship, a form of worship which was taken away from them by force and not by choice mind you, since the VI personality imprints of their ancestors were destroyed by the Geth during their rebellion, which is one of the biggest reasons why the Quarians despise the Geth.

Pretty much the only character that seemed religious in the least to me was Ashley.

I believe, in fact, that she's the only character who really talks about her religious beliefs at all.

Yup, and even then it's not really scratched at much.

?????

Y'all need to go Mass Effect again, because I have no idea how you forgot about Thane, the dude prayed in front of you many times. There's also the Hanar and Garrus makes mention of a Turian Heaven on a few occasions.

But yeah, most of the stuff on religion was in the codex.

The main Asari religion is the pantheistic Siari, though there are still many Asari who partake in the worship of Athame.

The Salarians have something called "The Wheel of Life", which Mordin likens to Hinduism due to the shared belief in reincarnation.

The Turans have a belief system based on the concept of spirits, though due to the push of religious freedom among their people, many Turians have chosen to follow the religions of other aliens, most notably the Asari Siari and the Human Confucianism and Zen Buddhism.

The Batarians believe in an afterlife, and that when they die their soul leaves through their eyes. We also learn in the Pillars of Strength sidequest that they have some scared texts.

The Drell practice some sort of polytheistic religion, and if you talk to Thane, you'll learn that pretty much their entire line of thought and all their actions are influenced by it. Many of the younger Drell have begun to break away from this religion though, and have moved instead to follow the Drell Enkindlers and the Asari Siari.

On a quick side note, I have to say that I loved talking to Thane about his religion in ME2, getting to learn about the cultures and belief systems of other aliens is the best parts of the series, though that's probably the scholar in me talking.

The Krogan have their Shamans and their rituals, and many make reference to some form of afterlife which they call "The Void".

I've talked about the Quarians.

The Hanar we know about their love for The Enkindlers.

The Volus have something the call "The Great Wind", but I can't find anything about what it is.

Fuck knows about The Elcor.

Their lore reason for changing Yvonne Strahovski's hair was based on a long-lived and wrong idea that blonde hair is dying out.
The real reason for the change was that black hair gave her the "femme fatale" look they were going for.

Also, have some Yvonne Strahovski.
yvonne-strahovski.jpg

Wat

giphy.gif

Don't tell me that there's people who believe this? Some people clearly didn't pay attention in biology class.

DOWN

Banned
Their lore reason for changing Yvonne Strahovski's hair was based on a long-lived and wrong idea that blonde hair is dying out.
The real reason for the change was that black hair gave her the "femme fatale" look they were going for.

Also, have some Yvonne Strahovski.
yvonne-strahovski.jpg
It doesn't make sense that a bioengineered and physically augmented woman can't have an uncommon hair color.

Patryn

?????

Y'all need to go Mass Effect again, because I have no idea how you forgot about Thane, the dude prayed in front of you many times. There's also the Hanar and Garrus makes mention of a Turian Heaven on a few occasions.

Oh, right.

In my defense, Thane bores the shit out of me.

Daemul

Oh, right.

In my defense, Thane bores the shit out of me.

200.gif

Thane is like, one of the few ME2 exclusive squadmates whom I would have wanted on the squad in ME3 due to his shared interest in philosophy, the rest, apart from Legion, Mordin and maybe Samara, were boring as fuck. Grunt for example can fuck right off, the dude is nothing but a brute, why the hell Okeer had to die and we had to get stuck this buffoon is beyond me.

Patryn

200.gif

Thane is like, one of the few ME2 exclusive squadmates whom I would have wanted on the squad in ME3 due to his shared interest in philosophy, the rest, apart from Legion, Mordin and maybe Samara, were boring as fuck. Grunt for example can fuck right off, the dude is nothing but a brute, why the hell Okeer had to die and we had to get stuck this buffoon is beyond me.

Don't worry.

I'm on record as talking extreme shit about Grunt. Grunt's the fucking worst.

diaspora

200.gif

Because Okeer fucked up.

Guri

Maybe I am the only one who liked every squadmate except for James? I mean, Grunt's sidequest is really good with him having to prove himself and his scenes in Mass Effect 3 are better as a result.

But I can definitely say Liara, Garrus, Thane and Tali were amongst my favourites.

Maybe I am the only one who liked every squadmate except for James? I mean, Grunt's sidequest is really good with him having to prove himself and his scenes in Mass Effect 3 are better as a result.

But I can definitely say Liara, Garrus, Thane and Tali were amongst my favourites.

I like James too. I'm crazy like that, I like them all.

Well. Kaiden is a little dull, and Ashley is kinda racist. But I still like them.

Guri

I like James too. I'm crazy like that, I like them all.

Well. Kaiden is a little dull, and Ashley is kinda racist. But I still like them.

Oh, right, Ashley... To be fair, I only let her live on my first playthrough, so I don't know how she is in ME3. I agree Kaidan is dull, but I still like him.

Daemul

I'm in the middle when it comes to most squadmates, I don't outright hate any apart from Grunt. The worst thing I can say about many of them is that they're boring and not very interesting to talk too. When my faves Thane, Legion and Mordin weren't available I just rolled with the Humans, the other aliens are meh.

I'm in the middle when it comes to most squadmates, I don't outright hate any apart from Grunt. The worst thing I can say about many of them is that they're boring and not very interesting to talk too. When my faves Thane, Legion and Mordin weren't available I just rolled with the Humans, the other aliens are meh.

>Garrus
>Meh

What'swrongwithyou.gif

Daemul

>Garrus
>Meh

What'swrongwithyou.gif

Garrus is too much of a yes man for my liking, especially in ME3, all he does is agree with you regardless of your stance. It was really jarring because Garrus is played up as your bro and close friend, and yet he doesn't call you out for doing some objectionable shit like real friends would, he's just a cheerleader.

He isn't the only one like that either, way too many people didn't call Shepard out on his bullshit. Someone like Shepard can only exist in a video game, he get's away with shit no one would ever get away with in the real world.

Garrus is too much of a yes man for my liking, especially in ME3, all he does is agree with you regardless of your stance. It was really jarring because Garrus is played up as your bro and close friend, and yet he doesn't call you out for doing some objectionable shit like real friends would, he's just a cheerleader.

He isn't the only one like that either, way too many people didn't call Shepard out on his bullshit. Someone like Shepard cannot exist in the real world, he get's away with shit no one would ever get away with.

Only a problem if you go Renegade :p Besides, I remember having a few disagreements with Garrus in both ME1 and ME2. By ME3, he's come to just trust you implicitly.

I played Me2 the most and as far as squadmates go I liked all of them. my least favorite might've been samara (that outfit alone was just ugh), zaeed, and jacob.

He isn't the only one like that either, way too many people didn't call Shepard out on his bullshit. Someone like Shepard can only exist in a video game, he get's away with shit no one would ever get away with in the real world.

Bioware took the Magnetic Hero trope up to absurd levels to the point by ME3 I was just rolling my eyes.

I seriously can't think of any example more blatant than Shepard.

royox

Not at all. When you are too soft Garrus will always say a "Good job...BUT I would...".

When you save the Krogan he talks about how he would let the bomb where it was for example.

Or when you choose the Geth and Kill the quarian.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Dont worry. I've called Shepard out enough on his bullshit to make up for the lack of awareness in game.

I hate Shepard as a character

I think there are more people who want that than you believe! I can imagine a few people that I know, actually, including me.
ah, well I'd be happy to be wrong and pleased to find out that more than a few people are like us.

But when I see
(usually youtube, but I see it elsewhere/everywhere)
comments like "xbone users will be staring at a woman and Ps4 owners will be staring a man" on a rotr or a Uc4 video, to me that's just cringe worthy stuff and upsets me, knowing that's basically what mankind is, and/or lack thereof faith in it.

Guri

ah, well I'd be happy to be wrong and pleased to find out that more than a few people are like us.

But when I see
(usually youtube, but I see it elsewhere/everywhere)
comments like "xbone users will be staring at a woman and Ps4 owners will be staring a man" on a rotr or a Uc4 video, to me that's just cringe worthy stuff and upsets me, knowing that's basically what mankind is, and/or lack thereof faith in it.

One of the reasons we should never read comments, haha!

Not at all. When you are too soft Garrus will always say a "Good job...BUT I would...".

When you save the Krogan he talks about how he would let the bomb where it was for example.

Or when you choose the Geth and Kill the quarian.
He throws softballs tho.

Dont worry. I've called Shepard out enough on his bullshit to make up for the lack of awareness in game.

I hate Shepard as a character

I have a hard time calling her/him a character in the first place.

Guri

lol, that is one way of dealing with it, but just... knowing that people say the things they do, either to troll or that they actually believe that shit... it's just disheartening sometimes, you know?

With GG and its hate-filled messages around... Believe me, I know.

Buut we shouldn't stay off-topic too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom