• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avatar whatever. Shepard has plenty of terrible aspects that will be a part of the story no matter what dialogue you choose.

Oh, I'm not saying that Shepard doesn't have really weird/dumb aspects of character that exist separate from the player; just that the dichotomy between Shepard(the character) and Shepard(receptacle for the player's opinions) is really vague(and sorta jarring as a result).

DOWN

Banned
I'm getting teary-eyed knowing that Mass Effect will be a single player 30fps improvement on the magnificent spectacle in the Battlefront media. E3, 6 weeks.

GamerGate.
But discussing Mass Effect is so much better than toxic stuff!
indeed. i'm curious about it though so I should do some reading on my own.
Please don't derail the thread.
the thread wasn't gonna be derailed because of 2 people's discussion. but you're right, we shouldn't go off the rails anyway.
Oh, I'm not saying that Shepard doesn't have really weird/dumb aspects of character that exist separate from the player; just that the dichotomy between Shepard(the character) and Shepard(receptacle for the player's opinions) is really vague(and sorta jarring as a result).
good point. I never thought of that before.
I'm getting teary-eyed knowing that Mass Effect will be a single player 30fps improvement on the magnificent spectacle in the Battlefront media. E3, 6 weeks.
I'm not really getting the fuss about battlefront, probably because i'm not much of a star wars fan. but i hear that game won't even have a campaign, so as games it probably won't be much like Me4 because obviously ME is a very story driven game.

Daemul

Can I still post in this thread if my hopes and dreams are nearly gone?
:(

86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

Zeroth

I've been interested in playing the trilogy, but the price point plus all the DLC bothered me. How much do I miss out in terms of DLC if I just buy the Trilogy package? Any DLC in particular that I should buy separately?

diaspora

I've been interested in playing the trilogy, but the price point plus all the DLC bothered me. How much do I miss out in terms of DLC if I just buy the Trilogy package? Any DLC in particular that I should buy separately?

Shadow Broker, Leviathan, From Ashes, Citadel

diaspora

you have got to be fucking kidding me.

when Me2 released for Ps3 it came with all the dlc up till that point. you really think they'll release the trilogy and then make all the dlc separate?

fuck that shit if it is the case.

I don't have any inside knowledge but it wouldn't surprise me. If you prepare for the worst, you'll either get what you expect, or be pleasantly surprised.

I don't have any inside knowledge but it wouldn't surprise me. If you prepare for the worst, you'll either get what you expect, or be pleasantly surprised.
but this shouldn't be an expectation in question. because of the way the market has shaped remasters or vice versa, it is a ripoff to release a remaster of a game with a lot of existing dlc, and not include it in the package.

The shit one produced by Avi Arad.
I didn't even know arad was involved.
Don't say that. A certain someone here started throwing shade at me for pointing it out.
I missed it. what was ea's remastered game?

Can I still post in this thread if my hopes and dreams are nearly gone?
:(

I'm not digging the narrative stuff, taking the plot to Andromeda so the events from ME3 doesn't matter sounds like 'cheating' lol as in previous games no one never wandered out the Milky Way. And this new species with ancient technology sounds like recycling. And I was hoping to bring more than 2 crew members at missions... :/

Everything else looks interesting.

what is it about that post that you don't like?
From the survey thread:
This talk of "APEX" gamebux and Inquisition-style "strike teams" make me very, very nervous. And I'm disappointed that it will be set in a different galaxy.

I'm honestly not sure why I expected otherwise, though. BioWare's mantra is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If something doesn't work quite right, they have an alarming tendency to axe it completely.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Meh, I'm just saying it's hard to be disappointed in a remaster if you prepare for the worst.
No. That would be the ultimate insult if EA tried to pull that shit.

If EA seriously tried that crap, not only would I not buy the trilogy I wouldn't even buy ME4. I'm serious.

However I don't think anyone would be upset if they didn't include Pinnacle Station since they supposedly lost all the original files for that.

Of course, it's a moot point anyway since EA doesn't do remasters and never will. Right Pantheon?

diaspora

If EA seriously tried that crap, not only would I not buy the trilogy I wouldn't even buy ME4. I'm serious.

However I don't think anyone would be upset if they didn't include Bring Down the Sky since they supposedly lost all the original files for that.

Of course, it's a moot point anyway since EA doesn't do remasters and never will. Right Pantheon?

I just beat the trilogy in 4K, I can't say I'd be bothered. Unless they have a deluxe version with all the DLC at like $80 USD.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

However I don't think anyone would be upset if they didn't include Bring Down the Sky since they supposedly lost all the original files for that.

Wasn't that Pinnacle Station?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just beat the trilogy in 4K, I can't say I'd be bothered. Unless they have a deluxe version with all the DLC at like $80 USD.
You seriously wouldnt be bothered if EA decided to sell the ME DLC separately?

That would be the ultimate "fuck you" to the fans.

$60 with all DLC is the minimum standard. 1080p/60fps.

There is no excuse for anything less.

If MS can charge $60 for Halo MCC for four games.

diaspora

You seriously wouldnt be bothered if EA decided to sell the ME DLC separately?

That would be the ultimate "fuck you" to the fans.

$60 with all DLC is the minimum standard. 1080p/60fps.

There is no excuse for anything less.

If MS can charge $60 for Halo MCC for four games.

I own it all in 1080p/60fps, what do I care? Releasing a full trilogy with all the content would be nice, but inconsequential as to whether or not they include the DLC. I've never appreciated re-buying old games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I own it all in 1080p/60fps, what do I care? Releasing a full trilogy with all the content would be nice, but inconsequential as to whether or not they include the DLC. I've never appreciated re-buying old games.

Ok, that's fine for you. But people like me want to replay them on consoles at current gen.

DOWN

Banned
I missed it. what was ea's remastered game?
That's the thing. Everyone missed it.
The "never will" isn't something I'd take any guess on, but you are right on the rest.

As for DLC, I doubt the sales volume would be high enough on them separately to make selling them alone worth the new venture for remasters. I think publishers know it is far too hard to sell a remaster to people who already own the game if you don't make it complete, so thats why nobody is doing that. It's even harder to get people to rebuy just DLC.

From the survey thread:
alright. I definitely understand your concern now.

whether or not you care, that move by ea would be a ripoff.

That's the thing. Everyone missed it.
so enlighten us..?

I guess? It's playable on 3 platforms already. What happens now with the trilogy doesn't really matter anymore.
why does the number of platforms matter? tomb raider launched on 3 platforms and a year later, had remastered versions for the new consoles. that's what we're talking about here.

diaspora

why does the number of platforms matter? tomb raider launched on 3 platforms and a year later, had remastered versions for the new consoles. that's what we're talking about here.

Right, that's what I'm saying, it doesn't matter if they do or don't make or include the DLC which I think is unlikely anyway- we didn't see a remaster of DA1 and 2 after all.

edit: Did DA DLC even change in price to mark he coming of DA3?

Not to be confusing, I was just confirming diaspora's note on EA and remasters.
oh okay. I was confused because I thought someone brought up a remastered game that ea did indeed commit to when they said "pointed it out"

Right, that's what I'm saying, it doesn't matter if they do or don't make or include the DLC which I think is unlikely anyway- we didn't see a remaster of DA1 and 2 after all.
i can't speak for hardcore dragon age fans, but I think generally ME is bigger than dragon age. there was also never ever any talk of a da remaster but I think bioware did at least mention that they were exploring the possibility of remastering ME.

and as far as remastered games go, yes man, it does matter if they make it without including the dlc for reasons I and others have already stated.

diaspora

oh okay. I was confused because I thought someone brought up a remastered game that ea did indeed commit to when they said "pointed it out"

i can't speak for hardcore dragon age fans, but I think generally ME is bigger than dragon age. there was also never ever any talk of a da remaster but I think bioware did at least mention that they were exploring the possibility of remastering ME.

and as far as remastered games go, yes man, it does matter if they make it without including the dlc for reasons I and others have already stated.

There really isn't much, or anything, showing that this is going to happen in the first place. I just can't see EA even bothering short of releasing 1080p versions of the game digitally with the DLC separately if that. I figure almost everyone has played it in 1080p60 at this point anyway. These games can run on toasters.

edit: Honestly, they shouldn't even bother unless they plan on remaking these games in Frostbite or something.

DOWN

Banned
DA 1 and 2 were disappointments commercially iirc. I think there was even some implication in the press that DAI was a last chance reboot that put a lot of weight on upping the production values and appeal to fans of BioWare's Mass Effect successes.

I figure almost everyone has played it in 1080p60 at this point anyway. These games can run on toasters.

edit: Honestly, they shouldn't even bother unless they plan on remaking these games in Frostbite or something.

You figure way wrong. PC sales are way less of the franchise's sales than consoles. Many have not come remotely close to playing in 1080p60.

diaspora

DA 1 and 2 were disappointments commercially iirc. I think there was even some implication in the press that DAI was a last chance reboot that put a lot of weight on upping the production values and appeal to fans of BioWare's Mass Effect successes.

You figure way wrong. PC sales are way less of the franchise's sales than consoles. Many have not come remotely close to playing in 1080p60.

With both humble bundles and origins sales, I wouldn't be able to say for sure. Though ME2 is already on PS Now, they could very well just release the other games to stream.

There really isn't much, or anything, showing that this is going to happen in the first place. I just can't see EA even bothering short of releasing 1080p versions of the game digitally with the DLC separately if that. I figure almost everyone has played it in 1080p60 at this point anyway. These games can run on toasters.
No. Hell no. While I cannot provide you definitive numbers, I'm pretty sure the 360 was the best selling platform for all ME games so that means majority of people playing the games at 30, and only 30, not 60fps. Me3 on 360 outsold the Ps3 version 4 to 1 at launch.

At first I was on board with this, but at this point I think a remaster of the same games (on like the same engine & shit) would be fine just simply considering the fact that playing them on playstation for me entailed playing with so many performance issues, and playing them without the full, triple, game-to-game experience.

Patryn

Incorrect.

Dragon Age: Origins was the best-selling Bioware game for a long time, besting both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 in sales.

I don't recall reading if Mass Effect 3 finally bested it, but it was a MASSIVE seller.

Dragon Age 2, however, was a crushing disappointment. It initially sold better than Origins, but sales quickly fell off a cliff so hard that retailers refused to stock an Ultimate Edition.

It's actually why despite the fact that Mass Effect gets all the praise, Dragon Age is probably Bioware's must lucrative and important franchise.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Incorrect.

Dragon Age: Origins was the best-selling Bioware game for a long time, besting both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 in sales.

I don't recall reading if Mass Effect 3 finally bested it, but it was a MASSIVE seller.

Dragon Age 2, however, was a crushing disappointment. It initially sold better than Origins, but sales quickly fell off a cliff so hard that retailers refused to stock an Ultimate Edition.

It's actually why despite the fact that Mass Effect gets all the praise, Dragon Age is probably Bioware's must lucrative and important franchise.
What do you define as MASSIVE?

From what I recall is that EA was disappointed in the sales of the game, but were pleased with the revenue from the multiplayer micros.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

You clearly have no clue how the industry works....

You can't see it? Based on WHAT? Every game that has been remastered from last gen has included all the DLC.

X-Frame

You know, watching Interstellar a few weeks ago has made me realize that no matter how fast, how often, and how close to star or black hole the crew traveled -- there was no difference in the time that passed, haha.

I know I know, that would be basically impossible to include in a game, but it is still something I never realized when playing. For example, the Suicide Mission should have probably aged those at the Citadel decades or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom