• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralemont

not me
Incorrect.

Dragon Age: Origins was the best-selling Bioware game for a long time, besting both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 in sales.

I don't recall reading if Mass Effect 3 finally bested it, but it was a MASSIVE seller.

Dragon Age 2, however, was a crushing disappointment. It initially sold better than Origins, but sales quickly fell off a cliff so hard that retailers refused to stock an Ultimate Edition.

It's actually why despite the fact that Mass Effect gets all the praise, Dragon Age is probably Bioware's must lucrative and important franchise.

Dragon Age: Origins also took what? 6 years to make? I wouldn't be surprised if EA turned a better profit on 2, honestly.

DOWN

Banned
You know, watching Interstellar a few weeks ago has made me realize that no matter how fast, how often, and how close to star or black hole the crew traveled -- there was no difference in the time that passed, haha.

I know I know, that would be basically impossible to include in a game, but it is still something I never realized when playing. For example, the Suicide Mission should have probably aged those at the Citadel decades or something.

Shh that's the plot twist they are gonna take. You go back to the Citadel at the end of the trilogy, and even though you knew time was different there, you find that all your friends are gone now. You did something good but missed some really good people for doing it.

How many are EAs?
well lemme put it this way. the reason I personally was flipping shit on the last page was because of the reality that johnnyfootball presented, that all remasters include dlc. so if ea does the remaster but makes the dlc separate, because of the way the market has been made for remasters & vice versa, it's gonna be a ripoff.

I get that ea hasn't done a remaster but that's not the point here. it doesn't help that they have a bad rep - if they pull something like this, it's like a fucking swindle.

Ralemont

not me
I would be absolutely shocked if a Remaster didn't include all the DLC. Because it would mean no one who bought the Remaster could play any of the DLC. Think about it. You buy it for PS4, but without being included in a Remaster there ISN'T Leviathan, Citadel etc for PS4.

If they do a Remaster it would include the DLC.

Ghazi

I would be absolutely shocked if a Remaster didn't include all the DLC. Because it would mean no one who bought the Remaster could play any of the DLC. Think about it. You buy it for PS4, but without being included in a Remaster there ISN'T Leviathan, Citadel etc for PS4.

The trilogy package they did didn't include a lot of the DLC, though, right? I think they will include it, but it's not like they haven't before. It would actually be extremely despicable to leave it out.

thank you, and I agree yes, fully.
The trilogy package they did didn't include a lot of the DLC, though, right? I think they will include it, but it's not like they haven't before. It would actually be extremely despicable to leave it out.
from what I recall most of the dlc was included, only a little bit was left out. but even then, that's packaging all 3 games together - we're also talking about a remaster here.

Ralemont

not me

All the ME3 DLC wasn't even out, I don't think. I remember everyone being really puzzled because of that: why make an Ultimate Edition now - so we said at the time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The difference in that case was that the DLC was already available when that was released on the systems it was available on.

I for one, never played the Mass Effect series for several reasons:

1. I did not own an Xbox 360 or a capable PC when the first part came out in 2007.

2. By the time the series came out on PS3, I had a backlog of games to finish. By the time the trilogy was affordable to me (both in price and time), I upgraded to PS4.

3. I enjoy sci-fi and have a fascination of exploring the galaxy (which Destiny failed to deliver in), however I'm not big on relationship driven RPGs, something Bioware tends to be very known for. Same reason why I have yet to try Persona 4, as people I know won't stop pestering me about the franchise.

4. I'm not particularly fond of going back to my PS3, which is currently at my friends possession to play through the trilogy due to rather being used to the PS4. If a remaster of the trilogy comes out, I might look into it.

5. I tend to have a very short attention span when it comes to long games, especially RPGs. If a game doesn't grab my attention within the first few hours, I tend to get weary and lose interest.

All that being said, will the new set of games take place in an entirely different setup than what happened in the previous trilogy? Would I have to play the original trilogy to have an idea of what's going on? Finally, would I have to accept the nature of the games being focused on building relationships or just not bother entirely? I do enjoy some relationship building elements, such as making friends, however life simulation is something that I detest. I do want to give the Mass Effect series and Persona 4 a chance before I completely negate them from my bucket list.

Thank you if anyone read this drivel and could give me some feedback on the general franchise and if I should remain interested in taking a look at it eventually or just move onto other things.

Best wishes.

DOWN

Banned
I for one, never played the Mass Effect series for several reasons:

1. I did not own an Xbox 360 or a capable PC when the first part came out in 2007.

2. By the time the series came out on PS3, I had a backlog of games to finish. By the time the trilogy was affordable to me (both in price and time), I upgraded to PS4.

3. I enjoy sci-fi and have a fascination of exploring the galaxy (which Destiny failed to deliver in), however I'm not big on relationship driven RPGs, something Bioware tends to be very known for. Same reason why I have yet to try Persona 4, as people I know won't stop pestering me about the franchise.

4. I'm not particularly fond of going back to my PS3, which is currently at my friends possession to play through the trilogy due to rather being used to the PS4. If a remaster of the trilogy comes out, I might look into it.

5. I tend to have a very short attention span when it comes to long games, especially RPGs. If a game doesn't grab my attention within the first few hours, I tend to get weary and lose interest.

All this being said, will the new set of games take place in an entirely different setup than what happened in the previous trilogy? Would I have to play the original trilogy to have an idea of what's going on? Finally, would I have to accept the nature of the games being focused on building relationships or just not bother entirely? I do enjoy some relationship building elements, such as making friends, however life simulation is something that I detest. I do want to give the Mass Effect series and Persona 4 a chance before I completely negate them from my bucket list.

Thank you if anyone read this drivel and could give me some feedback on the general franchise and if I should remain interested in taking a look at it eventually or just move onto other things.

Best wishes.

The new games will not be direct sequels, so you do not need knowledge of the original trilogy.

The original games are some of the best on last generation and are not very filler heavy or particularly long as RPGs. The relationship building is simple, coming down to just a handful of dialogues and a mission or two per member that really matter.

Ralemont

not me
All this being said, will the new set of games take place in an entirely different setup than what happened in the previous trilogy? Would I have to play the original trilogy to have an idea of what's going on?

If the new leak is any indication, playing the trilogy won't be necessary for the next ME game. It's not going to be a direct continuation no matter what.

Finally, would I have to accept the nature of the games being focused on building relationships or just not bother entirely? I do enjoy some relationship building elements, such as making friends, however life simulation is something that I detest. I do want to give the Mass Effect series and Persona 4 a chance before I completely negate them from my bucket list.

The ME series isn't like Persona at all in terms of life simulation. You just talk to your party members and learn more about them, do a mission or two concerning their personal issues, and maybe bang them if you're both down. But there's no "day to day" progression.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
List of remastered EA games:
List of remastered games from the industry:
Tomb Raider DE - All DLC (that DLC wasn't worth a crap, but it was there)
The Last of Us Remastered - All DLC
Metro Redux - All DLC
Diablo 3 - All expansions
Sleeping Dogs - All DLC
Halo MCC - all multiplayer DLC maps (not 100% sure)
Borderlands Handsome Jack collection - All DLC
Saints Row IV - All DLC and expansion
Dark Souls II - All DLC
GTAV - No DLC has been released at this point.

The industry has spoken. EA is not so stupid to go against the grain.

I win.

If EA decides to go against that trend more power to them, but it's DOA

diaspora

List of remastered games from the industry:
Tomb Raider DE - All DLC
The Last of Us Remastered - All DLC
Metro Redux - All DLC
Diablo 3 - All expansions
Sleeping Dogs - All DLC
Halo MCC - all multiplayer DLC maps (not 100% sure)
Borderlands Handsome Jack collection - All DLC
Saints Row IV - All DLC and expansion
GTAV - No DLC has been released at this point.

The industry has spoken. EA is not so stupid to go against the grain.

I win.

If EA decides to go against that trend more power to them, but it's DOA

And none of those are from EA, I win yayyy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Nope. Nice try.
Lose.gif

DOWN

Banned
I'm lost. Is the argument whether EA can be expected to do a remaster, or is it in a hypothetical where they do one, and the question is would they include DLC?

DLC is an easy yes, they would include it.

diaspora

I'm lost. Is the argument whether EA can be expected to do a remaster, or is it in a hypothetical where they do one, and the question is would they include DLC?

DLC is an easy yes, they would include it.
Both. Really of someone wants to play these games don't bother waiting what, a year+?

Guri

It's not for EA's best interest to leave the DLC out of a possible remaster. They would have to spend resources maintaining the game AND the DLCs on Xbox Live, PSN and Origin. Not to mention dividing the audience when they need to attract new customers for the Next Mass Effect. I know you think EA is an evil company and everything, but no matter what do you think, they are still a company. If they are going to release a remaster, they are going to do it in a way that do not spend too many resources and make a profit. And that doesn't mean making the DLC paid three years after the trilogy ended. Imagine if they need to patch something. Maybe a bug happens if you have the Citadel DLC but not the Leviathan one. It's harder to fix. And why put a team to fix it when they could help develop the next game? No, it would all be one single thing. Maybe $60 with access to the multiplayer beta of the new one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's not for EA's best interest to leave the DLC out of a possible remaster. They would have to spend resources maintaining the game AND the DLCs on Xbox Live, PSN and Origin. Not to mention dividing the audience when they need to attract new customers for the Next Mass Effect. I know you think EA is an evil company and everything, but no matter what do you think, they are still a company. If they are going to release a remaster, they are going to do it in a way that do not spend too many resources and make a profit. And that doesn't mean making the DLC paid three years after the trilogy ended. Imagine if they need to patch something. Maybe a bug happens if you have the Citadel DLC but not the Leviathan one. It's harder to fix. And why put a team to fix it when they could help develop the next game? No, it would all be one single thing. Maybe $60 with access to the multiplayer beta of the new one.

Gotta give diaspora credit. He is a good troll. The fact that he has gotten people discussing it is hilarious.

Davide

I'd recommend putting every other game down and give Mass Effect a try. Since you said a game needs to grab you in the first few hours, maybe start with Mass Effect 2, if you really like it go back to the first game.

Ghazi

The difference in that case was that the DLC was already available when that was released on the systems it was available on.

All the ME3 DLC wasn't even out, I don't think. I remember everyone being really puzzled because of that: why make an Ultimate Edition now - so we said at the time.

All the ME2 DLC? It included Bring Down The Sky for ME1 which was nice, but they could've at least included everything that was already out. Very shoddy of them to not include everything though. I'm positive a remaster would have it all, was just discussing the possibilities.

dude. his point is that with all the remasters thus far including the dlcs in the packages, it would be a very bad move on all accounts and levels if ea released the remastered trilogy and the dlc separate. we know ea hasn't released a remaster yet, that's not the point - if they do, and they don't include all the dlc (which is highly unlikely as everyone has pointed out to you) it will look really fucking bad.

Yeah I miss read that.

Sorry Euge.
lol, it's all good dude ;)

Guri

By the way, I was just remembering: isn't there a story about EA and BioWare permanently losing the assets for Bring Down the Sky?

Pay attention to preservation, games industry.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, I was just remembering: isn't there a story about EA and BioWare permanently losing the assets for Bring Down the Sky?

Yeah, there was. But the games industry will just say that they're doing new, better things, that the old ones don't matter.

DLC must be hard to preserve.

huh, not sure what that means. alls I know is that the pinnacle station dlc fell apart, and some folks in earlier pages explain to me that that's the reason why it never showed up on Ps3.

Guri

Yeah, there was. But the games industry will just say that they're doing new, better things, that the old ones don't matter.

DLC must be hard to preserve.

If I'm not mistaken, it was also developed by another studio. Well, I guess a remaster won't include this DLC.

prag16

Banned
huh, not sure what that means. alls I know is that the pinnacle station dlc fell apart, and some folks in earlier pages explain to me that that's the reason why it never showed up on Ps3.
Yes, Pinnacle Station was the one that was "lost". Not BDtS.

Pinnacle was... ehh... these who didn't play it aren't missing much imo.

DOWN

Banned
Pinnacle is the least memorable DLC I've played for any game. It was like a one room arena and a tiny room or two. The apartment was neat but there's a lot of great vistas that replace it.

nel e nel

Funny thing about Pinnacle Station, is that it's essentially the blueprint for the arena matches and apartment in the Citadel DLC in ME3.

In the platinum edition of ME1, it came with a bonus disc that had a whole bunch of mini-documentaries and interviews, and the devs talk about how they had always wanted some sort of challenge arena from the get go, but couldn't spend time on it if they wanted to meet their deadlines. So they went back to it afterwards.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Funny thing about Pinnacle Station, is that it's essentially the blueprint for the arena matches and apartment in the Citadel DLC in ME3.

In the platinum edition of ME1, it came with a bonus disc that had a whole bunch of mini-documentaries and interviews, and the devs talk about how they had always wanted some sort of challenge arena from the get go, but couldn't spend time on it if they wanted to meet their deadlines. So they went back to it afterwards.
I'm really not a fan of them.

I feel they are used to pad the game.

Borderlands games are notorious for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom