• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

New Mass Effect better be a hugely stunning ripoff of Interstellar, Prometheus, and ME 1 visuals, and bank huge on being current gen. It should look better than Battlefront supposedly looks because it will be single player 30fps. Or I'll scream in space where no one can hear.

I doubt it'll look better than Battlefront.

Honestly.

I'm guessing that there will be way more systems at play, and then you have the whole "travel through space, drop the Mako, no loading screens!" thing.

I'm pegging my expectations at slightly better than Inquisition, and I'm guessing that's where it'll end up.

And if you want a serious, fan-wanky answer to the Crucible thing, how about this:

The Catalyst talks about how you've come further than any other race. And that its end goal is Synergy or whatever. So perhaps the Reapers have an intentional blind spot where they allow the work on the Crucible to happen because they're waiting for the cycle in which they can complete the thing and then have an individual who is worthy of making the choice and evolving the galaxy or whatever.

I dunno. Shit's dumb as hell.

DOWN

Banned
I doubt it'll look better than Battlefront.

Honestly.

I'm guessing that there will be way more systems at play, and then you have the whole "travel through space, drop the Mako, no loading screens!" thing.

I'm pegging my expectations at slightly better than Inquisition, and I'm guessing that's where it'll end up.
Slightly better than a two years older cross gen game with no PBR? Disgusting

How could they seriously not beat a 60fps game multiplayer game that's coming out before it? I suppose 1080p might be one difference between it and Battlefront on PS4.

No loading isn't a big deal. That can just be concealed like ME1 for all we know.

Now remember, I'm talking better than actual Battlefront, not the Battlefront trailer that not even Batllefront will match.

diaspora

How could they seriously not beat a 60fps game multiplayer game that's coming out before it? I suppose 1080p might be one difference between it and Battlefront on PS4.

No loading isn't a big deal. That can just be concealed like ME1 for all we know.

Now remember, I'm talking better than actual Battlefront, not the Battlefront trailer that not even Batllefront will match.
We don't know what actual battlefront will look like. Either way, Battlefront will look better IMO purely because of it being smaller in scope.

Patryn

I know.

And what I said stands. The Mass Effect games have never really been big lookers, compared to other big games of their eras.

Way I look at it is this: I feel confident saying that they'll probably hit what I'm expecting. If it's better than that then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I know.

And what I said stands. The Mass Effect games have never really been big lookers, compared to other big games of their eras.

Way I look at it is this: I feel confident saying that they'll probably hit what I'm expecting. If it's better than that then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mass Effect 3 has taught me to keep my expectations low. Right now, my expectation is that ME4 will be as good as ME3, minus many of the egregious flaws. I expect it will be a pretty good third person shooter, with some great moments, but held together by a MacGuffin plot.

Someone here said it (EatChildren?) and I agree that ME4 will be better off if they try to keep the scope smaller like Mass Effect 2 and focus on characters. Don't turn the Remnant into the Reapers 2.0.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The ultimate class in Mass Effect 2 for Insanity was a Sentinel combined with the Dominate bonus power (from Morinth). Dominate made enemy control so much easier.

Although it didn't help much with mechs.

Patryn

Mass Effect 3 has taught me to keep my expectations low. Right now, my expectation is that ME4 will be as good as ME3, minus many of the egregious flaws. I expect it will be a pretty good third person shooter, with some great moments, but held together by a MacGuffin plot.

Someone here said it (EatChildren?) and I agree that ME4 will be better off if they try to keep the scope smaller like Mass Effect 2 and focus on characters. Don't turn the Remnant into the Reapers 2.0.

I was merely referring to the graphics.

I'm still processing the leaks and remain uncertain as to the potential quality of ME4.

I'm still a little annoyed that the leak happened on the weekend, when I'm not really around GAF, so I haven't had a lot of time to process it.

At the same time, for the past little while I've been trying to take a page out of Shinobi's book and attempt to look at things with mostly optimism and find the things I like, rather than dwell on the negative aspects. Feel like I've been enjoying things a lot more when I do that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think it'll look gorgeous, but I think the trilogy looks pretty fucking fantastic anyway, at least on PC, despite the dated tech.

Working in ME4's favour is the fact it's on Frostbite 3 and not Unreal Engine 3. The former is far, far more proficient at rendering large environments and simulating complex effects over distance. Battlefield 4 does this very well. You can have nice light scattering through the atmosphere on the horizon, smoke moving through misty mountains, and trees seemlingly casting shadows even in the far distance. Frostbite 3 also handles materials very well I think, and water. Surfaces on almost everything look good.

And Mass Effect as a sci fi series lends itself well to video games where all those shiny surfaces, neon lights, space viewpoints, and hazardous uncharted worlds can take advantage of what modern tech shines at.

Making it next gen exclusive is also a massive boon. Designing an environment no longer requires the devs think "this has to fit in 512mb of RAM". Density can be increased quite significantly.

diaspora

I think it'll look gorgeous, but I think the trilogy looks pretty fucking fantastic anyway, at least on PC, despite the dated tech.

Working in ME4's favour is the fact it's on Frostbite 3 and not Unreal Engine 3. The former is far, far more proficient at rendering large environments and simulating complex effects over distance. Battlefield 4 does this very well. You can have nice light scattering through the atmosphere on the horizon, smoke moving through misty mountains, and trees seemlingly casting shadows even in the far distance. Frostbite 3 also handles materials very well I think, and water. Surfaces on almost everything look good.

And Mass Effect as a sci fi series lends itself well to video games where all those shiny surfaces, neon lights, space viewpoints, and hazardous uncharted worlds can take advantage of what modern tech shines at.

Making it next gen exclusive is also a massive boon. Designing an environment no longer requires the devs think "this has to fit in 512mb of RAM". Density can be increased quite significantly.

Looks hella nice downsampled at least. ReShade helps too.

edit: My 16GB of RAM is ready.

DOWN

Banned
God, I can just picture the dark, moody, mysterious neon and indigo lens flares. Come back to me ME1 stylization, but in superb new graphics.

X-Frame

The ultimate class in Mass Effect 2 for Insanity was a Sentinel combined with the Dominate bonus power (from Morinth). Dominate made enemy control so much easier.

Although it didn't help much with mechs.

The ME2 Sentinel was way more fun than the ME3 Sentinel (SP). I really disliked how they nerfed Tech Barrier so much for ME3. I used to love playing as an Assault Armor Sentinel with a shotgun in ME2. Though I think I went with AP Ammo as my bonus power for my Sentinel.

diaspora

God, I can just picture the dark, moody, mysterious neon and indigo lens flares. Come back to me ME1 stylization, but in superb new graphics.

I feel like there's going to be a hell of a lot more wilderness this time around.

Pls include Aria's biotic backhand.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The ME2 Sentinel was way more fun than the ME3 Sentinel (SP). I really disliked how they nerfed Tech Barrier so much for ME3. I used to love playing as an Assault Armor Sentinel with a shotgun in ME2. Though I think I went with AP Ammo as my bonus power for my Sentinel.

I used the Sniper as my bonus gun. The one that you get in Thane's recruitment mission.
Although, I kinda wish I had used the Mattock. That was easily the best assault rifle in ME2.

X-Frame

I used the Sniper as my bonus gun. The one that you get in Thane's recruitment mission.
Although, I kinda wish I had used the Mattock. That was easily the best assault rifle in ME2.

Yeah the Mattock was better in ME2 as well compared to ME3. That was my go to AR.

Also, I said Tech Barrier, not Tech Armor. I'm so out of touch.

Is there a better AR than Mattock in ME3? I did not find one yet and I am in Cerberus HQ. Geth rifle? I use Mattock all the time. Black Widow + Mattock + Scorpion and you don't even have to use any powers on anything even Banshees.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Wait.... I never got an apartment with my Pinnacle Station!

....or did you actually have to achieve something within the DLC to get the apartment?

Mass Effect 2/3 looks good even on PS3. Yes, even on PS3. Game has some incredible art direction. Closed levels of ME3 hope as well.

Favourite looking areas (ME2/3):

- Omega
- Illium
- Thessia
- Sanctuary
- Sur'Kesh
- Lair of the Shadow Broker (outside the ship)
- Anderson's Apartment :)
- Kasumi's Mission (the billionaire apartment)

Citadel still looks the best in ME1.

I really disliked how Tuchanka looked in the games. Kinda boring, deserty-browny-post apolacyptic stuff all around. Fallout 3 did it better.

Patryn

Is there a better AR than Mattock in ME3? I did not find one yet and I am in Cerberus HQ. Geth rifle? I use Mattock all the time. Black Widow + Mattock + Scorpion and you don't even have to use any powers on anything even Banshees.

I tended to use the Vindicator, because it was stronger than the Avenger, but still light enough that I could carry it and still have zero penalty to power recharge.

Wait.... I never got an apartment with my Pinnacle Station!

....or did you actually have to achieve something within the DLC to get the apartment?

You have to complete the DLC. That means getting all the records, and then completing the optional final challenge simulation.

I also learned to love Graal Spike Thrower. In the final Quarian mission I sniped a Geth Prime with this shotgun from miles away. Every charged shot took 1 Armor Bar off the Geth. I had no other ammo left, ha.

Sentinel was far and away my favorite class. It had the perfect mix of biotic and tech powers.
Sentinel was the first class I ever picked in ME. I liked the idea of extra protection.

Infiltrator forever. I love that cloak so much.

Vanguard and Soldier are both quite fun as well though. I've never been able to make it through a trilogy run with any of the other three classes, but my female Shepard, Elhaym, had a lovely time of it in Arrival warp-bouncing from foe to foe. Vanguard has its moments to be sure.
I used infiltrator a lot online. It was a nice break from the usual classes I used. And I haven't used them all. Perhaps that would make for something fresh if I did so in the supposed remaster.

Diaspora is just trolling.
is he? that would explain him expecting "everyone to have played the game in 1080p/60fps by now".

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Particle Rifle with a good armor mod can melt enemies, even the toughest ones. My Turian Infiltrator in MP loves that gun.

X-Frame

Do you have any of the DLC?

Some good weapons came from DLC and there are some smaller weapons packs that have weapons too. Such as the Harrier, Adas Anti-Synthetic, and the Particle Rifle.

Dargor

I know its a shooter more than it is a RPG, but I would really like if they made a melee class, you know? I like cutting/punching/crushing more than shooting, so I would really enjoy a class that let you fight with a hightech sword/axe/etc or with enhanced with powers.

Patryn

Honestly choice of weapon is tough, because we don't know what you're looking for.

Is weight not an issue, or do you want something light but powerful so you can use powers?

Honestly choice of weapon is tough, because we don't know what you're looking for.

Is weight not an issue, or do you want something light but powerful so you can use powers?

Just asking around. I don't need any advice. In SP I have zero weapon problems. Kind of poll what weapon were you guys using.

I know its a shooter more than it is a RPG, but I would really like if they made a melee class, you know? I like cutting/punching/crushing more than shooting, so I would really enjoy a class that let you fight with a hightech sword/axe/etc or with enhanced with powers.
that sounds like a fantastic idea to me. I doubt it'll happen though.

Especially since Phantoms and Kai Leng are using Melee weapons. It is strange that Krogans are not using any, they fit the barbaric, melee fighter trope so well.

Patryn

I dunno. They definitely seemed to be moving in a more melee-friendly direction, what with the additions of heavy melee and the like.

In addition, a lot of powers seemed to benefit off of doing melee attacks.

Given that I'm expecting a total overhaul of the class system, I could see them reworking things to make a class melee-focused, or even adding a new one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
is he? that would explain him expecting "everyone to have played the game in 1080p/60fps by now".

Yep, since everybody out there is clearly capable of owning a PC that is capable of running these games in 1080p/60 fps. Nobody uses Macs or laptops. Its clearly cheaper to invest $800 in a PC than it is to get the game on PS4 or X1. It's also more comfortable to sit in front of a desk than it is on the couch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Something the ME3 multiplayer did very well. Krogan warhammer forever.

war0ju9x.gif

Mass Effect 2/3 looks good even on PS3. Yes, even on PS3. Game has some incredible art direction. Closed levels of ME3 hope as well.

Favourite looking areas (ME2/3):

- Omega
- Illium
- Thessia
- Sanctuary
- Sur'Kesh
- Lair of the Shadow Broker (outside the ship)
- Anderson's Apartment :)
- Kasumi's Mission (the billionaire apartment)

Citadel still looks the best in ME1.

I really disliked how Tuchanka looked in the games. Kinda boring, deserty-browny-post apolacyptic stuff all around. Fallout 3 did it better.

Bekenstein's skyline view from Hock's mansion is one of my all time favorite. With graphical enhancements is breathtaking.

Dargor

Especially since Phantoms and Kai Leng are using Melee weapons. It is strange that Krogans are not using any, they fit the barbaric, melee fighter trope so well.

war0ju9x.gif

I know, right? Hitting something really hard is way more satisfying than shooting it in some situations lol.

EatChildren

Despite it's simplicity the Krogan warhammer is legit one of my favourite melee weapons ever. It's presented perfectly: the roundhouse swing out of holster, the edging of the camera, the sound effect, the explosion. It feels so fucking good.

I dunno. They definitely seemed to be moving in a more melee-friendly direction, what with the additions of heavy melee and the like.

In addition, a lot of powers seemed to benefit off of doing melee attacks.

Given that I'm expecting a total overhaul of the class system, I could see them reworking things to make a class melee-focused, or even adding a new one.
well, that sounds good to me man.

Yep, since everybody out there is clearly capable of owning a PC that is capable of running these games in 1080p/60 fps. Nobody uses Macs or laptops. Its clearly cheaper to invest $800 in a PC than it is to get the game on PS4 or X1. It's also more comfortable to sit in front of a desk than it is on the couch.
off topic, but I wish PC fanboys would try to consider more that while most everyone has a PC, not everyone wants to play games on it. "master race" smh

Uhh... which ones? Can't name them at the moment.
I don't remember the name, otherwise I would've named them in my post. You know who I'm talking about though yeah?

Carn82

I hope they also put some of that current-gen powah in the skyboxes. Destiny is cross-gen but a well-designed skybox adds a lot to a world's look and feel.

Daemul

Boss★Moogle;160808389 said:
I just hope I can play as the Vanguard class in ME4 because to me that's what made ME2 and 3 so fun and good. I was really SHOCKED when I saw in the stats that the vast majority of players played through those games as the Soldier class. Seems like such a waste to me. Vanguard makes you feel like such a badass...

Vanguard is a fun class, but it's not surprising that Soldier was the most popular class, it's awesome. Soldier's pretty much became mini-engineers in ME3 due to the addition of combos, since you could combo the ammo powers with concussive shot for tech explosions. Add in adrenaline rush which slowed down time and made you invincible and extra weapon damage from your skill trees and you had one amazing class.

Right now, my expectation is that ME4 will be as good as ME3, minus many of the egregious flaws.

If this turns out to be the case than I will be delighted.

That'd make me pretty damn happy. Minus some of the egregious flaws, ME3 is probably my favorite game of all time.

That sounds like the best gen of this generation. ME3 is for me the absolutely best TPS of last gen.

Damn right.

Cerberus Harrier is the best Assault Rifle in the game by a long margin. It is the perfect combination of light weight, power and cool factor.

Dragoon's. Glad those shitheads never showed up outside of the multiplayer.

They showed up in the Armax Arena, many lulz were had I can tell you that. They were constantly wiping my teammates.

war0ju9x.gif

227839420.gif

Patryn

well, that sounds good to me man.

I should note that it's all speculation by me.

I have no knowledge about any class rebalancing/adding/removing.

It's just that it makes sense, given that we're no longer tied to importing characters for them to rethink a lot of the stuff they did before.

I have little doubt that even Bioware isn't happy that Soldier is so popular that it's pretty much played as much as all other classes put together. Similarly, I doubt they like that Engineer and Adept are played by so few people.

It's just that it makes sense, given that we're no longer tied to importing characters for them to rethink a lot of the stuff they did before.

I have little doubt that even Bioware isn't happy that Soldier is so popular that it's pretty much played as much as all other classes put together. Similarly, I doubt they like that Engineer and Adept are played by so few people.
I heard adept was fun to play as in Me1.

Daemul

Soldier is the Mass Effect equivalent of the Warrior in other RPG's, whether Bioware likes it or not it will always be the most popular class, by a huge margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom