• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Mass Effect better be a hugely stunning ripoff of Interstellar, Prometheus, and ME 1 visuals, and bank huge on being current gen. It should look better than Battlefront supposedly looks because it will be single player 30fps. Or I'll scream in space where no one can hear.
Visuals Winner? That's a tough call and highly subjective. DICE probably takes realism and performance win easily. Bioware would take the artistic design, skyboxes and visual effects categories. Character design in ME4 is supposedly "insane".

Both Win!

Visuals Winner? That's a tough call and highly subjective. DICE probably takes realism and performance win easily. Bioware would take the artistic design, skyboxes and visual effects categories. Character design in ME4 is supposedly "insane".

Both Win!
Yeah, I'm ready to be wowed. games like iss were a joy to play through just from the amazing graphics.

anyways, this is really old but I think it's kinda funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAgb8GIY1iM

Yeah, I'm ready to be wowed. games like iss were a joy to play through just from the amazing graphics.

anyways, this is really old but I think it's kinda funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAgb8GIY1iM
They should make it so you wake up the next morning with a hangover and EDI lets you know that 690,000 soldiers were lost in an unexpected battle, then an Asari walks in and says "we need to have a talk, I'm pregnant". And your like "I don't recall our genitalia touching...ohhhh right Asari." Now that's what I call real consequences.

DOWN

Banned
I want to get lost in the atmospheric music and hums of an uncharted planet's surface for hours. And then go to another one the next day and do it again, all without a log full of fetch quests.

They should make it so you wake up the next morning with a hangover and EDI lets you know that 690,000 soldiers were lost in an unexpected battle, then an Asari walks in and says "we need to have a talk, I'm pregnant". And your like "I don't recall our genitalia touching...ohhhh right Asari." Now that's what I call real consequences.
Yeah, that would be something. That's as black comedy as you could get with the Me3 premise, stretching off that video.

This reminds me, the club in Me3 is called purgatory, and that's where you meet jack on the citadel. I wonder if she thought about the prison when she was there. Would've nice to have her say something about it then.

Bekenstein's skyline view from Hock's mansion is one of my all time favorite. With graphical enhancements is breathtaking.

Indeed:

Bekenstein_Panoramic_View.png

Bekenstein.jpg

b79a25a6a40821f729fb08d0e5e6a06620140510181427.jpg

review-kasumi.jpg

Funny, how the best vista in ME1 was in DLC and the same is true for ME2!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Kind of obvious, but they did indeed mention it is sort of a fantasy of future LA. One of my favorite vistas in gaming, indeed.

As for me, nothing beats the giant red/blue suns in ME1 skyboxes. I hope we can see a return of that in the next game. Hated the lack of them in ME2 and ME3.

Patryn

As for me, nothing beats the giant red/blue suns in ME1 skyboxes. I hope we can see a return of that in the next game. Hated the lack of them in the ME2 and ME3.

I'm just looking forward to tooling around in a Mako under those wonderful skyboxes again.

Those of you that played multiplayer, did you use reload cancelling? Did you you know how? That was the difference maker between good (gold) and great (platinum).

Basically, you used a power then emptied your clip then reloaded, as the reload animation started you tapped your cooldown power that was still charging, and boom instant reload. It was never something that was taught in game. But using it with something like the Graal Spike Thrower meant overkill.

Patryn

I really want to play Mass Effect 1 right now, but I'm holding off until E3 to see if they announce a remaster.

So I'm playing KOTOR and SWTOR instead.

Ralemont

not me
I really want to play Mass Effect 1 right now, but I'm holding off until E3 to see if they announce a remaster.

So I'm playing KOTOR and SWTOR instead.

Yeah I'm thinking about downloading TOR for the first time. Heard great things about Imperial Agent.

Pryce

My (possible, there are a lot) favorite skyline is from the first game when they let you travel to the moon and look back on earth. It was a simple view, and one that has been done so many times through so many mediums, but I still highly enjoyed it.

Patryn

Yeah I'm thinking about downloading TOR for the first time. Heard great things about Imperial Agent.

It definitely is an MMO, and it scratches a much different itch than Mass Effect, but I really, really like it. Then again I've also been playing it off and on since it launched.

I don't quite understand why it has the reputation it has, and I'm guessing that a lot of people who love to harp on it never really played it, but it's very well done.

Yeah, it has the classic MMO style gather x/kill x quests, but nowadays there are so many ways to boost your XP gain that it doesn't really matter.

It's also super easy to just play as a single-player RPG.

Patryn

Cool. I'm not interested in the social aspect so that's how I'd play it, just going through class storylines.

Then, for the most part, you can just avoid any quest that has the prefix HEROIC. However, if you're feeling tough, it's possible to solo some of the HEROIC 2 quests, especially early on.

None of the Heroic quests have anything to do with your main class story or planetary storylines*

*There is one possible exception in that a planet's Bonus Series does have a quest that's Heroic. But that comes towards the middle of the game.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've never enjoyed any attempts at an MMO, but TOR has always looked like something that might well have been an exception. Unfortunately no console version means I won't be able to play it. Not that I blame its devs for not making one; I understand their decision. Ah, well.

Maybe someday I'll watch all the cutscenes.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Jos' tweets are a highlight, yeah. Always fun to read his thoughts throughout game development.

Misty-eyed again; damn you, Jos.

well, that sounds good to me man.

off topic, but I wish PC fanboys would try to consider more that while most everyone has a PC, not everyone wants to play games on it. "master race" smh

If it's any consolation... I have the Trilogy on a nice PC and would play them all in 720/30 if it meant I could use the Wii U Gamepad in all games. Having a constant map and four extra hotkeys on the touch screen made playing ME3 on the Wii U the best gameplay experience...

Ralemont

not me
So...a BioWare producer just tweeted this today:

Scylla Costa ‏@scyllacosta
What lies ahead? Adventures? Dangerous foes?
CDI_1ciWYAEjLtg.jpg

Black hole, aka one half of a wormhole?

SliChillax

I don't care if the story end up being shitty, it's Mass Effect and god damnit I just wanna explore it in next gen glory. I'll probably stare are the vistas for hours instead of playing it.

Bisnic

I don't care if the story end up being shitty, it's Mass Effect and god damnit I just wanna explore it in next gen glory. I'll probably stare are the vistas for hours instead of playing it.

I'd love to see a city similar to Omega, just looking at this wants me to have giant city hub 10x the size of Omega in ME2 to visit.

Mivey

So...a BioWare producer just tweeted this today:

Scylla Costa ‏@scyllacosta
What lies ahead? Adventures? Dangerous foes?
CDI_1ciWYAEjLtg.jpg

Black hole, aka one half of a wormhole?

If thats the design for the wormhole, its kinda boring. The three dimensional representation in Interstellar was more impressive, and also more believable as a real object. That thing just looks like a cheap Photoshop warp effect.

Ralemont

not me
If thats the design for the wormhole, its kinda boring. The three dimensional representation in Interstellar was more impressive, and also more believable as a real object. That thing just looks like a cheap Photoshop warp effect.

It's not BioWare's image, that's for sure. After seeing the image in the tweet I found it through Google on this article about the Milky Way's black hole.

Which is funny, since a black hole would look fake as hell.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Which is funny, since a black hole would look fake as hell.

Even then, Interstellar has one of the best and accurate representations of black holes in media. It did miss that the horizon would look kind of warped if was rotating near the speed of light. But it looked cool and awesome.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hopefully better animation this time around. Mass Effect is one of the only examples I can think of where, in a game series, animation got progressively worse over the course of a console generation. And especially weird because when ME1 launched, they were near top-tier based on AAA TPS at the time. Then it just kind of stagnated and actually got worse somehow.

Also I really dislike romance options in games. I get some people like that crap but I fucking hate it. I really hope it's easier to avoid this time. Honestly wish it was completely gone, but hopefully it's not a constant thing they're trying to push on you. It's always so cringe-inducing. I'm not necessarily against it in principle, but I'm highly skeptical of it even being possible to do in games. Bioware certainly nowhere near it.

One of the reasons I put down DA:Inquisition...

Anyway... guess we'll see. I love the aesthetic of Mass Effect. I mean really love it. And I love sci-fi. So while I'm not super optimistic about the next game, I'm still interested. Just would love to see more focus on animation and TPS mechanics and less time spent on romance dialog that makes my skin crawl with cringe.

If it's any consolation... I have the Trilogy on a nice PC and would play them all in 720/30 if it meant I could use the Wii U Gamepad in all games. Having a constant map and four extra hotkeys on the touch screen made playing ME3 on the Wii U the best gameplay experience...
well I appreciate your offer of consoling, but I acknowledge that the PC versions of multiplat games are always the best. i'm not disputing that, i'm just saying for some people, a good amount of people, the PC is literally not the best place to play games, in their opinion.

btw, if I'm not mistaken, Me3 on wii u flopped

Bisnic

well I appreciate your offer of consoling, but I acknowledge that the PC versions of multiplat games are always the best. i'm not disputing that, i'm just saying for some people, a good amount of people, the PC is literally not the best place to play games, in their opinion.

btw, if I'm not mistaken, Me3 on wii u flopped

Of course it did. It released on a console where the first 2 games weren't available(not to mention 8 months later) AND around the same time EA released the trilogy package on other platforms for the same price while not releasing it on Wii U.

Such brilliant trolling on EA part for Nintendo.

Of course it did. It released on a console where the first 2 games weren't available(not to mention 8 months later) AND around the same time EA released the trilogy package on other platforms for the same price while not releasing it on Wii U.

Such brilliant trolling on EA part for Nintendo.
to be fair, I don't think any of the AAA games released on the wii u did too hot. I heard bayonetta flopped too, despite all the hype (and marketing?) behind it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Remasters are a thing this gen and they were a thing last gen too, and there's really no consistency between publishers and what they include in their remasters. I get that the market now is open to remasters, but I also feel that openness is largely due to the slow drip feed of new projects and thus the need for stopgaps. Especially for franchises where the current generation exclusive iteration might be a good while away. There's no rule of release that publishers are following. Maybe EA sees viability for a trilogy port with DLC before ME4 drops. Maybe they don't. Maybe they do, but will still charge for DLC.

And yeah, ME3 Wii U bombed for a multitude of factors, primarily being an eight month late port with no bundled content on a system that floundered in the market from day one and had horrendous software attachment rates especially for third party products. Alongside a superior, more comprehensive and higher value release (trilogy) on other platforms launching two months earlier.

I still don't think a remaster is coming.

I would have bought and played the Trilogy on Wii U as well as PC for gamepad functionality alone- it was well used in ME3.
I've said several times that
if the remaster is real,
the touchpad on the Ps4 would be a great way to bring up the power wheel - put your finger on it and it shows up, then roll your finger around to the power you want, then press down and you got it.

Doubt they'll do that do.

Subitai

I don't expect ME4 dropping until Fall 2016, so the hypothetical remaster has plenty of time to drop in my mind.
2016 next year? I won't be done with all of my DA:I play throughs before then.

I don't think I'd buy a remaster even if I had the time. Too much invested in single and multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom