• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggest Brook

Neo Member
I sort of really wish there was a Mass Effect Tactics game or something similar to it. Take the universe and characters of Mass Effect and throw it into a pot with XCOM, FTL, and Final Fantasy Tactics and see what comes out. Now that I think about it, it would pretty much be like the new Shadowrun games but with a Mass Effect overhaul applied to it. Maybe it's just because I like top down, isometric, squad tactics games, but I feel like the Mass Effect series would really shine well in that genre.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Pinnacle Station is indeed subpar, but I'm going to miss that gorgeous vista on the bridge. And I'll miss having somewhere to spend my millions of credits even more. When I replayed the trilogy on my 360 recently I realized it would probably be the last time I ever did the DLC, meaning it'd be the last time I'd ever have such marvelously simple access to crazy amounts of Colossus gear and the like on the fly by just tapping the control console and resetting the game a few times if I kept getting bad drops. I can't tell you how much I'm gonna miss it.

diaspora

I sort of really wish there was a Mass Effect Tactics game or something similar to it. Take the universe and characters of Mass Effect and throw it into a pot with XCOM, FTL, and Final Fantasy Tactics and see what comes out. Now that I think about it, it would pretty much be like the new Shadowrun games but with a Mass Effect overhaul applied to it. Maybe it's just because I like top down, isometric, squad tactics games, but I feel like the Mass Effect series would really shine well in that genre.

So... Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars: Mass effect

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I feel like I'm missing something here but will reiterate a prior point just in case I do indeed grasp the flow of conversation: Bring Down the Sky's assets are all fine, hence its appearance in ME1 PS3/the Mass Effect Trilogy. Pinnacle Station has been missing since then and it will most likely continue to be absent for any and all future re-releases, whereas Bring Down the Sky will most likely continue to be included.

Patryn

ea and bioware "permanently losing assets" of it?

That was Pinnacle Station.

Bring Down the Sky is a pretty good DLC for Mass Effect 1 that Bioware and EA still have all the assets for, and which is on all platforms, and is included in the Trilogy pack and ME1 release for PS3. I see no reason it wouldn't be in any remaster.

Pinnacle Station was a DLC made by an outside team that they lost all assets for when backup files got corrupted. As such, it will only ever be on the 360 and PC.

That was Pinnacle Station.

Bring Down the Sky is a pretty good DLC for Mass Effect 1 that Bioware and EA still have all the assets for, and which is on all platforms, and is included in the Trilogy pack and ME1 release for PS3. I see no reason it wouldn't be in any remaster.

Pinnacle Station was a DLC made by an outside team that they lost all assets for when backup files got corrupted. As such, it will only ever be on the 360 and PC.
okay, cool. so now all we gotta do and all we can do is wait for an announcement.

Vashetti

Banned
Couldn't they rebuild Pinnacle Station by using the files for the 360 and PC versions?

KH 1.5 HD was made by two guys who decompiled a PS2 retail copy of KH and rebuilt the entire game (because SE lost the game, essentially).

Couldn't they rebuild Pinnacle Station by using the files for the 360 and PC versions?

KH 1.5 HD was made by two guys who decompiled a PS2 retail copy of KH and rebuilt the entire game (because SE lost the game, essentially).
ideally yes, they could do that. but again they'd only do so if this is even for a hypothetical remaster, including all of the dlc.

Guri

Technically, it is possible, but it is a very unpopular DLC, so I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort at this point.

Astrates

Bring Down the Sky was enjoyable and was a very good Sci-Fi story in itself. Easily imagine it as a film.

Pinnacle Station was kinda dull really. Very little story going on all in all.

I wouldn't miss it at all if it wasn't in a remaster of the trilogy. I hope they do a remaster version. It's the only reason I have a 360 still and I'd love to see a touched up all in one.

prag16

Banned

It isn't always going to be possible to reverse engineer compiled code. They can snag all the assets, sure, but there could be a fair bit of work involved (work they likely wouldn't see as worthwhile whatsoever) in actually getting it fully working for a remaster.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It isn't always going to be possible to reverse engineer compiled code. They can snag all the assets, sure, but there could be a fair bit of work involved (work they likely wouldn't see as worthwhile whatsoever) in actually getting it fully working for a remaster.
If they really wanted to have Pinnacle Station on a remaster, they could put it on there. The assets are available.

It's just they they don't want to.

I don't want them to either.

everybody says pinnacle station was boring so I guess it's not much to miss out on, but just for the simple fact that I never got to play it, it'd be nice for them to still rework and include it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't want to constantly have maxed-out credits and no (fairly) quick and easy way to ensure my squad is decked out with highest-tier equipment many levels below what is otherwise their required benchmark for finding said equipment.

That's what I'm going to miss about Pinnacle Station. That apartment.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think the insinuation re: "please love yourself" is that only those who hate themselves subject themselves to playing Pinnacle Station.

prag16

Banned
didn't know there was an apartment involved (wait actually, I do remember someone posted a screenshot of it so nvm,) just some stellar vistas.

Yeah, iirc some dude heckles you between combat challenges, and he's so cock sure that you can't beat the last one that he puts his retirement apartment at risk. So you swipe the aging dude's apartment, and can show up there to take in the views and score some primo items.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, iirc some dude heckles you between combat challenges, and he's so cock sure that you can't beat the last one that he puts his retirement apartment at risk. So you swipe the aging dude's apartment, and can show up there to take in the views and score some primo items.

Can confirm.

Also, Shepard insists he take the safeties off, because an automatic pissing contest is established between the two Alliance soldiers, lawl.

lol, thanks for telling me the whole thing man =P

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
everybody says pinnacle station was boring so I guess it's not much to miss out on, but just for the simple fact that I never got to play it, it'd be nice for them to still rework and include it.

It's the only piece of Mass Effect DLC I would say you are better off not playing, it doesn't have any of the stuff I wanted out of something ME related.

Daemul

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but fuck Pinnacle Station, it was an awful DLC. $5 for that garbage was daylight robbery on Biowares part.

Venom Fox

Banned
I never played Pinnacle so judging by these comments it looks like I didn't miss anything remotely enjoyable.

Do you guys think that there's more to the gameplay than what was leaked or do you think that's all we are going to get?

Personally I'm hoping we get full on space battles with our new ships, it was something I always wanted in Mass Effect.

Boss Mog

I just hope I can play as the Vanguard class in ME4 because to me that's what made ME2 and 3 so fun and good. I was really SHOCKED when I saw in the stats that the vast majority of players played through those games as the Soldier class. Seems like such a waste to me. Vanguard makes you feel like such a badass...

Boss★Moogle;160808389 said:
I just hope I can play as the Vanguard class in ME4 because to me that's what made ME2 and 3 so fun and good. I was really SHOCKED when I saw in the stats that the vast majority of players played through those games as the Soldier class. Seems like such a waste to me. Vanguard makes you feel like such a badass...
agreed. the vanguard class is kickass. but i liked it more in Me2 than Me3. then again, I liked almost everything in Me2 better than in Me3.

Boss Mog

agreed. the vanguard class is kickass. but i liked it more in Me2 than Me3. then again, I liked almost everything in Me2 better than in Me3.

The thing that makes Vanguard so good is that when your shields are down and you're about to get owned that's when you need to go into an all-out attack with the Biotic Charge (once it's upgraded obviously) instead of going to hide behind cover like with the other classes because using the upgraded Biotic Charge recharges your shields if it connects with an enemy. So when you play Vanguard you're almost never hiding and almost always going on a rampage.

To a lot of people the game probably played like a Gears-style cover shooter but with the Vanguard class the game plays more like ZOE 2nd Runner with Zero Shift access.

Boss★Moogle;160815433 said:
The thing that makes Vanguard so good is that when your shields are down and you're about to get owned that's when you need to go into an all-out attack with the Biotic Charge (once it's upgraded obviously) instead of going to hide behind cover like with the other classes because using the upgraded Biotic Charge recharges your shields if it connects with an enemy. So when you play Vanguard you're almost never hiding and almost always going on a rampage.
yes, I did do that a lot. a few times actually I used the barrier as my bonus power and used that just because it looks cool and it is also effective in cutscenes.

To a lot of people the game probably played like a Gears-style cover shooter but with the Vanguard class the game plays more like ZOE 2nd Runner with Zero Shift access.
according to bioware forums, playing as a soldier is the easiest way to beat the game on insanity, and i think they're right. that's definitely a key part to how i got my one and only platinum trophy

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Infiltrator forever. I love that cloak so much.

Vanguard and Soldier are both quite fun as well though. I've never been able to make it through a trilogy run with any of the other three classes, but my female Shepard, Elhaym, had a lovely time of it in Arrival warp-bouncing from foe to foe. Vanguard has its moments to be sure.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Vanguard is indeed a fun class if not for the fact that there are quite a lot of scenarios in Mass Effect 2 where playing as one is extremely sub-optimal and such a pain in the arse.

The hacking in the collector ship, for example, or the Grunt fight with that large worm, or even the final fight, or the Long Walk, etc etc. And I like consistency in my playthrough (meaning if in ME1 I play as an Adept, I WILL play as an Adept in 2 and 3), and I always play in Insanity... ME2's Insanity in Vanguard is such a pain in the arse.

Question about Crucible:

- why didn't the Reapers find it and destroy it while it was under construction? Every single race in the Milky Way knows about it being constructed and takes part in it. A single attack of the Reapers would destroy it + all the construction forces onboard.

I guess they did not want to spread their forces too thin with engaging on Earth, Palaven and Thessia?

Patryn

I never played Pinnacle so judging by these comments it looks like I didn't miss anything remotely enjoyable.

Do you guys think that there's more to the gameplay than what was leaked or do you think that's all we are going to get?

Personally I'm hoping we get full on space battles with our new ships, it was something I always wanted in Mass Effect.

Yes, I think the leak probably has summed up the gameplay we'll get.

No, I don't see us getting "spaceship battles" any time soon in a main Mass Effect game. Even if there was, odds are that it would be shallow and unsatisfying, akin to the turret sequences in KOTOR.

Frankly, it's also something I'm not very interested in.

Mass Effect is about the on-foot sci-fi action. Do you realize how few on-foot space opera sci-fi RPGs there are? You can count them on your fingers.

Spaceship combat is available in dozens of games, especially now when it's having a renaissance.

Question about Crucible:

- why didn't the Reapers find it and destroy it while it was under construction? Every single race in the Milky Way knows about it being constructed and takes part in it. A single attack of the Reapers would destroy it + all the construction forces onboard.

I guess they did not want to spread their forces too thin with engaging on Earth, Palaven and Thessia?

Simple: The Crucible was a McGuffin.

Finally, Engineer is the best class. Especially if you take Defense Drone as your bonus power. At that point you don't even need a squad, because you ARE a one-woman squad.

Having Turret be a non-cooldown power and unlimited "casts" makes it be so wildly overpowered, it's ridiculous. Especially when you start having it firing rockets or shooting flamethrowers. I tended to go flamethrowers, and then had my drone firing rockets.

DOWN

Banned
New Mass Effect better be a hugely stunning ripoff of Interstellar, Prometheus, and ME 1 visuals, and bank huge on being current gen. It should look better than Battlefront supposedly looks because it will be single player 30fps. Or I'll scream in space where no one can hear.

diaspora

Question about Crucible:

Space magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom