• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you think about it, this thread had "special privileges" for months. It was basically a Community thread in the wrong place for a while.
We were special! This was a recruitment thread of optimistic gamers attracted by the premise of "Hopes & Dreams" surrounding one of the best western A-RPGs of last Gen. We also had a bunch of reds protecting us.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We were special! This was a recruitment thread of optimistic gamers attracted by the premise of "Hopes & Dreams" surrounding one of the best western A-RPGs of last Gen. We also had a bunch of reds protecting us.

Until a Renegade red decided otherwise.

Patryn

I generally roll paragon 90%+ the time. Killing Kai Leng excluded.

I can't not be a paragon.

Still....

I push the guy out the window. I blow up the Krogan speechifying to you about how he's going to crush you. And I kill the shit out of Kai Leng.

I can't not be a paragon.

Still....

I push the guy out the window. I blow up the Krogan speechifying to you about how he's going to crush you. And I kill the shit out of Kai Leng.

I do all that except push the guy out the window.

I do sock that Quarian who tried to blow up the ship I was standing on, though.

Patryn

Ah yes, this too. It was just out of sheer annoyance.
I swear the game practically begs you to pull the trigger.

He just keeps going on and on and on, and they keep showing the gas, and they give you the option to do so for FOREVER.

It's the game saying "DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT"

Still my favorite interrupt is in Omega. It's a Paragon interrupt that you only get if you're an Engineer. I'm fairly certain it's the only interrupt that is conditional on class (in fact it might be the only choice in the entire series that is dependent on picking a specific class, but I'm not positive).

The villain starts prattling on about how you can't do something to save your friends and civilians. For all other classes, it's designed to be a tense moment, and they keep giving you an option to do a Renegade action that has clearly negative consequences while ratcheting up the tension. Engineers, however, suddenly get the chance to be like "Uh, I'm an engineer. I can TOTALLY do this shit" and the villain's like "... ok."

diaspora

He just keeps going on and on and on, and they keep showing the gas, and they give you the option for FOREVER.

Same with Leng, he's about to stab you why wouldn't I take the QTE.

He just keeps going on and on and on, and they keep showing the gas, and they give you the option to do so for FOREVER.

Still my favorite interrupt is in Omega. It's a Paragon interrupt that you only get if you're an Engineer. I'm fairly certain it's the only interrupt that is conditional on class (in fact it might be the only choice in the entire series that is dependent on picking a specific class, but I'm not positive).

The villain starts prattling on about how you can't do something to save your friends and civilians, and you suddenly get the chance to be like "Uh, I'm an engineer. I can TOTALLY do this shit" and he's like "Uh... whoops."

That was SO DOPE. Seriously, I need more of that goodness going forward. Class shouldn't just matter in combat, dammit.

Or at least open up more dialogue options based on class.

I sort of group the prompts into dialogue, sort of like how war is diplomacy by other means.

More options for interacting with the world depending on your class would be awesome. Soldiers could do a better job of assessing existing battlefields or anything involving weapons, for instance.

diaspora

I'd definitely like to see some options only available to certain classes. I mean, surely there are some options that a Biotic can do that a non-Biotic can't, for instance?

It's not like they've never done it in other series too. There are dialogue options that only open up if you're a mage, elf, qunari etc already.

Edit: All 3 DA games do this IIRC.

diaspora

The main trilogy feels like a Marvel/DC "crisis" event where they try to make everything seem super important until the story blows up in their face and they have to move to a different galaxy/universe.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That was SO DOPE. Seriously, I need more of that goodness going forward. Class shouldn't just matter in combat, dammit.

If i remember right, the final battle of the Citadel DLC has you fighting your
clone
who is the same class as you and use their specific powers and prefered guns. I thought that was a nice touch.

The main trilogy feels like a Marvel/DC "crisis" event where they try to make everything seem super important until the story blows up in their face and they have to move to a different galaxy/universe.
Yeah definitely! Not only did they not plan the end of the arc, but they sabotaged the next arc.

On the other hand, the concept of a choose your own adventure over the course of three games was always too ambitious as each major fork effectively doubled the content of the next game (if done right). So a Tabla Rasa was always expected.

diaspora

Yeah definitely! Not only did they not plan the end of the arc, but they sabotaged the next arc.

On the other hand, the concept of a choose your own adventure over the course of three games was always too ambitious as each major fork effectively doubled the content of the next game (if done right). So a Tabla Rasa was always expected.

Choose you own "adventure" can work if there's some level of planning and restraint, going nuclear without figuring out how to continue the story is not that though :p

I mean individual stories in these "Crisis" and "Secret War" events can be really good, just like how I like each game individually, but as a story arc and for the lore it's utter madness.

diaspora

All they gotta do is improve on the stuff built for DAI. I doubt they are going to start from scratch.
DAI's conversation faces and mocap ranges from spotty to good in some instances. It's an improvement on the previous DA and ME games though and is a good base to work off of.

Daemul

I heard adept was fun to play as in Me1.
It was ok, Vanguard was better though.

Anyway, here's the last class breakdown which we were given by Bioware for the top multiplayer players(those who play on Gold/Platinum).

1. Soldier 31.9%
2. Infiltrator 16.0%
3. Sentinel 15.3%
4. Engineer 15.0%
5. Adept 13.8%
6. Vanguard 8.0%

You'll immediately notice that Engineer is higher than it is in SP breakdown and that the biotic* focused classes are at the bottom, mainly due to the community favouring tech over biotics due to it's versatility and numerous amounts of possible combinations. Soldier being top is no surprise since many of the Soldier kits have tech powers on top of the extra weapon damage to give them an edge. Also Geth Juggernaut is broken. :p

Here's the breakdown if every player is included

1. Soldier 28.3%
2. Engineer 16.7%
3. Sentinel 15.8%
4. Infiltrator 14.1%
5. Adept 13.1%
6. Vanguard 12.0%

Engineer shoots up to second where it belongs, and the tech bias remains. Geth Juggernaut still OP. :p

*I don't count Sentinels among them since they lean way more towards tech instead of being equally balanced, spearheaded by the N7 Paladin Sentinel who literally has no biotic powers at all.

Patryn

Anyway, here's the last class breakdown which we were given by Bioware for the top multiplayer players(those who play on Gold/Platinum).

1. Soldier 31.9%
2. Infiltrator 16.0%
3. Sentinel 15.3%
4. Engineer 15.0%
5. Adept 13.8%
6. Vanguard 8.0%

You'll immediately notice that Engineer is higher than it is in SP breakdown and that the biotic* focused classes are at the bottom, mainly due to the community favouring tech over biotics due to it's versatility and numerous amounts of possible combinations. Soldier being top is no surprise since many of the Soldier kits have tech powers on top of the extra weapon damage to give them an edge. Also Geth Juggernaut is broken. :p

1. Soldier 28.3%
2. Engineer 16.7%
3. Sentinel 15.8%
4. Infiltrator 14.1%
5. Adept 13.1%
6. Vanguard 12.0%

Engineer shoots up to second where it belongs, and the tech bias remains. Geth Juggernaut still OP. :p

*I don't count Sentinels among them since they lean way more towards tech instead of being equally balanced, spearheaded by the N7 Paladin Sentinel who literally has no biotic powers at all.

Fascinating.

I find it kind of hilarious how fanatical Vanguard players are in SP and how unloved Engineers are that they swap places in MP.

Daemul

I picked vanguard for my Me1 playthrough thinking it would be as fun as it was in Me2, but it wasn't. It was around that time that I heard that adept was actually more fun.

Adept and Vanguard were both OP in ME1, with Vanguard getting a slight edge due to higher survivability, but in ME2 biotics were neutered in order to balance the game, with the Adept coming off much worse due to all the protection enemies had.

This was mostly fixed in ME3, but the Adept has never been back to its glory days, whilst the Vanguard has reinvented itself as the master of CQC.

Fascinating.

I find it kind of hilarious how fanatical Vanguard players are in SP and how unloved Engineers are that they swap places in MP.

As much as I love Vanguard, I have to admit that it can get really repetitive and biotic explosions aren't varied at all, whilst tech classes have different types of tech explosions, whether it's fire, cryo or electric or even a combination of two of them, they are just more fun to play than biotic classes and more effective than them if I'm being honest.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see more of MP stats I'll link them below

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/470291-recent-gameplay-stats/

1. Soldier 31.9%
2. Infiltrator 16.0%
3. Sentinel 15.3%
4. Engineer 15.0%
5. Adept 13.8%
6. Vanguard 8.0%

1. Soldier 28.3%
2. Engineer 16.7%
3. Sentinel 15.8%
4. Infiltrator 14.1%
5. Adept 13.1%
6. Vanguard 12.0%

The dominance of the soldier in Gold+ is also due to the fact that they benefited from level 3-4 ammo powers the most. Without ammo powers they (IIRC) didn't have the ability to combo themselves, but with high grade ammo powers and their higher rates of fire from skill powers, they could prime the enemy for tech explosions using carnage or nades.

Voror

All this talk about 4 made me realize I'd never done a straight playthrough of all three games, having started from 2 on PS3. So I got the first game and just started, though now I'm expecting I'll see an announcement about a remaster with every bit of dlc.

Adept and Vanguard were both OP in ME1, with Vanguard getting a slight edge due to higher survivability, but in ME2 biotics were neutered in order to balance the game, with the Adept coming off much worse due to all the protection enemies had.

This was mostly fixed in ME3, but the Adept has never been back to its glory days, whilst the Vanguard has reinvented itself as the master of CQC.
meh, I didn't get the most out of the whole game itself, but I didn't see what the big deal about vanguard was in Me1. What does OP stand for in this case? on point?

Patryn

meh, I didn't get the most out of the whole game itself, but I didn't see what the big deal about vanguard was in Me1. What does OP stand for in this case? on point?

Overpowered.

Dking sentinel in ME2. How is sentinel for when I hit 3, similar, better or worse?

They get a little nerfed. I believe there's a heavy penalty to power recharge when you apply Tech Armor, for instance. The Armor will also not automatically detonate when fully depleted, but must be manually detonated.

Just FYI searching for "Mass Effect" does not bring this thread up :(

untitledxwbn3.png

I had to bookmark it.

Great, I've just beaten Mass Effect 3 for the first time after an all-nighter (5:30 AM - credits roll out; 6:30 AM I woke up to work) and it seems I did not have the Extended Cut installed at all. How is that possible? I thought it wash pushed as an update (patch) on the PSN?!?

I got non-interactive Catalyst dialogue and the shitties outro I have ever seen in an RPG with basically no resolution to anything (I got 4097 EMS).

I've chosen Control, eitherway. Of course not before spending 5+ minutes shooting the crap out of the Catalyst and waiting for the 4th ending to trigger...

Shit... :( Worst thing is I got so, so soured by this that experiencing the Extended Cut will just not feel the same now. Jesus... and I was so cautious in avoiding spoilers...

Lt-47

Great, I've just beaten Mass Effect 3 for the first time after an all-nighter (5:30 AM - credits roll out; 6:30 AM I woke up to work) and it seems I did not have the Extended Cut installed at all. How is that possible? I thought it wash pushed as an update (patch) on the PSN?!?

It's a free dlc not a patch

It's a free dlc not a patch

How could I misunderstand that... blame's on me.

Anyway, sorry, I have to rant. I know I am 4 years late and there is a new ending but given the circumstances above I have been "lucky" enough to experience the original ending of the Trilogy first.

What in the hell happened, BioWare?

Was ME3 rushed to market? Because it doesn't look like a rushed game. Everything is really great about it, AAA+, impeccable almost and then you have this ending that just sticks out like a sore thumb. The last level was awesome. Fighting like 6 Brutes at the same time and then 3-4 Banshees onslaught all while a huge fucking Reaper is tearing shit apart. Running to the Beam was intense as well. Really underlined the power of Harbringer (unlike the Reaper you destroyed almost HTH on Rannoch). All great stuff. Did not feel rushed AT ALL. The whole game felt COMPLETE. But the Endings... how?!?

Like I can buy the 3 options: Control, Synthesize, Destroy. I mean, yeah, how can you end the saga in a smart way? How can you give a coherent conclusion to The Reapers (which seem invincible) and The Crucible (which is a very stupid idea BTW)? I would say if I was to "invent" the endings that probably I would end up with something similiar to "Destroy" ("Disable?") and "Control". GTFO with "Synthesize", tho. That is way too dumb.

My biggest problem with the endings is how they were presented. You have this brilliant space opera Trilogy with dozens and dozens of interesting characters, planets and locations and in the ending you show:

- a shitty CGI where Reapers retreat from London (10 seconds max)
- some shitty "memories" showing... Joker (?!? WTF ?!? I did not give two shits about this character) and Anderson (Jesus...)
- shitty wave-explosion going through the Galaxy
- random-ass Normandy crash on a jungle planet

Jesus Christ.

There is so much wrong with the presentation above that I do not know where to start.

1) so I've spent over 200 hours with my friend Garrus on my team in ME1/2/3 and he is nowhere, NOWHERE to be found in the ending.
2) same about the other 2nd most iconic character from the Trilogy: Wrex. WHERE THE HELL WAS WREX?
3) when Normandy crashes on the jungle planet I was shown... fucking Javik exiting it. JAVIK. The character that I've only taken for one mission (Thessia) in the entire Trilogy!!! They showed me JAVIK instead of GARRUS/ WREX.
4) how about you show what happened in the Galaxy?!? What happened on Tuchanka? Thessia? Horizon? Hell, show anything, show any other known species on no-name planets. Show Salarians. Show Omega and Aria. Even show me fucking Vorcha!!! Anything that is of interest for fans of the series...
5) why the hell was Joker shown in the "memories" moment?!? What about my love interest (certainly not Joker). You hammer down the romance narrative so hard in the entire Trilogy yet you piss on it during the ending?!?

Fuck, I am tired as hell (1 hour sleep this night). I can't be bothered with this shit anymore. Those are some Outros #101 mistakes done by BioWare. Every single random, crappy jRPG knows that you show what happened to your party members/ known races during the outro. It is REQUIRED to do in an RPG - even more with one that spans 200 hours and 3 fucking games.

The worst thing is I've beaten the Citadel DLC right before wrapping up the game and the Citadel was INCREDIBLY GOOD. And it was a fucking DLC! I expected at least the same from the game's ending!

YOU ENDED AN INCREDIBLE TRILOGY WITH HORSE MANURE, BIOWARE

/end rant

Gonna check out the Extended Cut this week. Maybe. Or maybe not. Fuck this company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom