• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

That Garrus is mildly frightening. lol, I think it's the uncanny valley effect of seeing a video game character in person. Really great work though.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I dunno, I spoke with Jessica in depth a few times. (Really cool community manager and all-around nifty person.) I chatted her up about the endings once and she seemed genuinely disappointed with them as well. I got the impression she really just could not say it outright to the community at-large, for obvious reasons.

We touched on IT and it was basically her asking me if I believed it because she had been following the vids and found if pretty fascinating. I said I didn't, and I personally hoped it wouldn't prove true, because I liked the foundations behind two of the ending choices enough and wanted to see more of them, and also because I was terrified the IT ending would legitimately just be Shepard waking up, and I thought that would be awful. She seemed fairly intrigued by my answer, and we continued discussing it. But she did say outright that she wasn't especially privy to what Mike Gamble and his team were doing for Extended Cut, and she was kind of torn on which way she would prefer things to go.

I suppose the broad baseline of her dialogs with me were built upon professional decisions to entertain certain ending discussion elements with the community, but having gotten to know her a bit, I don't really think she was playing everyone like a fiddle or anything. She was probably just as unsure of what she wanted EC to do as a bunch of other forumites.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I dunno, I spoke with Jessica in depth a few times. (Really cool community manager and all-around nifty person.) I chatted her up about the endings once and she seemed genuinely disappointed with them as well. I got the impression she really just could not say it outright to the community at-large, for obvious reasons.

We touched on IT and it was basically her asking me if I believed it because she had been following the vids and found if pretty fascinating. I said I didn't, and I personally hoped it wouldn't prove true, because I liked the foundations behind two of the ending choices enough and wanted to see more of them, and also because I was terrified the IT ending would legitimately just be Shepard waking up, and I thought that would be awful. She seemed fairly intrigued by my answer, and we continued discussing it. But she did say outright that she wasn't especially privy to what Mike Gamble and his team were doing for Extended Cut, and she was kind of torn on which way she would prefer things to go.

I suppose the broad baseline of her dialogs with me were built upon professional decisions to entertain certain ending discussion elements with the community, but having gotten to know her a bit, I don't really think she was playing everyone like a fiddle or anything. She was probably just as unsure of what she wanted EC to do as a bunch of other forumites.

145573d1279174832-integgy-hatchback-opinions-rim-color-britney_spears-poop_face001p.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
other than killing EDI and the Geth....

Some people probably think that sacrificing AIs to destroy Reapers once and for all(which is what we were intending to do since the first game) isn't that bad of a "deal".

Especially considering Geths were the bad guys for a good portion of the trilogy(other than Legion and the "good" Geths that we never saw until the last Rannoch missions), so only EDI really feels like a loss.

what exactly do you mean by this part?

Indoctrination Theory.

As in, Shepard was indoctrinated by the Reapers.
in the process of being indoctrinated, and fully succumbed if you choose anything but destroy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm expecting we'll get both.

Because.

Well.

We did last time.

So, you expect this game to have as many new alien races as when ME1 released?

What is it? Turians, Asaris, Salarians, Krogans, Quarians, Batarians, Volus, Hanars, Elcors? I suppose Geths too if you count them. 10 races.

Sure it's a new galaxy and everything, so it would make sense, but will they make so many new races, when, I assume, they're going to remodel all the original races, plus the ones introduced in ME2 again? That's a hell of a job.

Destroy is the only canon ending I can support. It was my ending as well.

Also this thread is pretty dead now in the Community ;_;

I ended up with Control by process of elimination. Not gonna pick Destroy because dammit, I worked too hard on Rannoch to just kill the Geth now. And Synthesis involves a gross violation of every living being in the galaxy without their consent.

So control it is.

I guess.

So, you expect this game to have as many new alien races as when ME1 released?

What is it? Turians, Asaris, Salarians, Krogans, Quarians, Batarians, Volus, Hanars, Elcors? I suppose Geths too if you count them. 10 races.

Sure it's a new galaxy and everything, so it would make sense, but will they make so many new races, when, I assume, they're going to remodel all the original races, plus the ones introduced in ME2 again? That's a hell of a job.

I'm not expecting them to do as many new races as they did in ME1 (though I don't see it as being outside the realm of possibility, considering the efficiency gains Frostbite brings to the process), but I do expect a vaguely comparable level of variety, yeah. I don't doubt that you're going to get your standard varieties of humanesque aliens, but there'll probably be at least 1 or 2 really out there ones as well.

Ralemont

not me
Destroy killing the Geth makes some sense as they have integrated Reaper code, but how would it kill EDI other than Space Magic?

It wouldn't, but it does thanks to Space Magic. Somehow the Crucible subsumes Shepard's synthetic implants, the geth's VI network upgraded with Reaper code, and EDI's Quantum Blue Box AI as all under "synthetic life." Oh but Shepard survives.

The Crucible doesn't target Reaper code, it targets "synthetics."

TeddyBoy

So with EA's release schedule being shown at the invester meeting (here) and no Mass Effect being mentioned, where does that leave us with Mass Effect 4 and the Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered?

Q3 2015 and not happening? :/

wolfhowwl

Banned
Since BioWare Montreal handled the multiplayer, I hope something that they took away from it is how much better it felt to play on the larger MP maps that gave you multiple ways to approach an enemy mob, flanking routes, and lines of retreat. The combat really benefited from room to breathe as opposed to the corridor-heavy campaign.

Patryn

The top of the image is cut off. It says FY16 Announced games console/PC. Since a Trilogy remaster is not officially announced it would not be on the list.

People have forgotten this tweet.

hagDl3y.png

Sjosz has already said that he has no knowledge of the state of any remaster, if it actually exists, in this thread. Also, this was an actual financial presentation, i.e. something that matters.

While it's entirely possible that they're keeping a title under wraps, the fact that they revealed the new Need For Speed and didn't mention a Mass Effect Remaster has swung me back to the "It's not going to happen (at least any time soon)" camp.

This is for investors. This is for the people who really matter.

Lucreto

Sjosz has already said that he has no knowledge of the state of any remaster, if it actually exists, in this thread. Also, this was an actual financial presentation, i.e. something that matters.

While it's entirely possible that they're keeping a title under wraps, the fact that they revealed the new Need For Speed and didn't mention a Mass Effect Remaster has swung me back to the "It's not going to happen (at least any time soon)" camp.

All true but E3 is also for investors. I am sure more games will be announced that will be out this year. Shinobi was the person who highlighted the tweet before. If he brought it to our attention there must be something too it.

I still firmly believe it exists and it will be out this year. For all we know the list published are just for new titles and not remasters or just games with a set release date. I could eat my words at E3 so we have to wait and see.

What's unclear? She was saying that she didn't know what the Extended Cut would be, given that it hadn't come out at the time of the conversation.

It's perfectly clear to me.
that's what was unclear to me and you cleared it up. =]

so she wasn't in the know during the production of EC

Patryn

How are you coming to this conclusion?

It's likely that if there is a Remaster, it's not coming this year. Many people feel that this year was the window, and if didn't happen now, it wasn't happening.

That's what the presentation seems to say.

I'm in the party who now thinks it was something they were thinking about it, but it looks like they decided not to do it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

And again, I ask the question....why would this be sent out via Twitter?

It makes NO SENSE to Tweet your boss a question when you could just call or email him directly. I seriously have a hard time believing tweeting Aaryn is the best way to ask him a question.

To me it seems more like a vague hint that it is coming.

But whatever, I have to admit that I am less excited about it coming than I was several months ago. Playing new games like Bloodborne has my attention.

At this point I am firmly in the camp that we will know for sure at E3, unless they decide to not show anything Mass Effect related. However, if they talk about ME4 and there is no mention then yes I will fully accept that it's not coming.

Patryn

And again, I ask the question....why would this be sent out via Twitter?

It makes NO SENSE to Tweet your boss a question when you could just call or email him directly. I seriously have a hard time believing tweeting Aaryn is the best way to ask him a question.

To me it seems more like a vague hint that it is coming.

But whatever, I have to admit that I am less excited about it coming than I was several months ago. Playing new games like Bloodborne has my attention.

At this point I am firmly in the camp that we will know for sure at E3, unless they decide to not show anything Mass Effect related. However, if they talk about ME4 and there is no mention then yes I will fully accept that it's not coming.
He's not tweeting as a representative of the company. I think a lot of these tweets are people just talking about their jobs. I don't think they're trying to send coded messages to fans.

I agree with you that E3 would be the final nail in the coffin.

While I am pessimistic about it now, I also wouldn't be super shocked if it's announced.

If it's not talked about at all, I will assume that it's not going to happen, and will continue to believe that unless it's ever officially announced regardless of rumors or what have you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
He's not tweeting as a representative of the company. I think a lot of these tweets are people just talking about their jobs. I don't think they're trying to send coded messages to fans.

I agree with you that E3 would be the final nail in the coffin.

While I am pessimistic about it now, I also wouldn't be super shocked if it's announced.

If it's not talked about at all, I will assume that it's not going to happen, and will continue to believe that unless it's ever officially announced regardless of rumors or what have you.
If I were a boss tweeting me about something like that would be seen as unprofessional and create unnecessary work. Granted, I seriously doubt discipline would result.

But whatever. As of right now, the only trilogy that has higher demand attached to it would be the Uncharted trilogy, where even one of the top dogs has mentioned that is highly requested.

But as more and more new games come out there will be less interest in revisiting old titles for me anyway.

Patryn

If I were a boss tweeting me about something like that would be seen as unprofessional and create unnecessary work. Granted, I seriously doubt discipline would result.

But whatever. As of right now, the only trilogy that has higher demand attached to it would be the Uncharted trilogy, where even one of the top dogs has mentioned that is highly requested.

But as more and more new games come out there will be less interest in revisiting old titles for me anyway.

Honestly, I've been wondering for a long time why people at Bioware have been allowed to be tweeting about ME4, because it does seem to just be creating headaches.

I still firmly believe it exists and it will be out this year. For all we know the list published are just for new titles and not remasters or just games with a set release date. I could eat my words at E3 so we have to wait and see.
I think it exist. Now is the perfect time while people still have new console thirst and the consoles don't have a ton of games or a COD "dominator game" that sucks the air from everything else. It's a business decision and I think if the timing works, before ME4, the decision is easy.

Honestly, I've been wondering for a long time why people at Bioware have been allowed to be tweeting about ME4, because it does seem to just be creating headaches.
Not really. We haven't learned anything from the tweets other than the devs are having fun at the latest build milestone meetings. They build hype and establish a relationship with fans over our common affinity for #space.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
that's what was unclear to me and you cleared it up. =]

so she wasn't in the know during the production of EC

Correct. That's all I was saying. :)

Synthesis is my ending of choice, by the way. No regrets.

As for a Trilogy Remaster, I'm still hopeful, but I admit I'm starting to feel increasingly less so. E3 2015 is Kind of a Big Deal, and seeing if there's any mention of that is one of my most burning questions. Right up there with, "what will be shown of ME4?"

Omega

Banned
Some people probably think that sacrificing AIs to destroy Reapers once and for all(which is what we were intending to do since the first game) isn't that bad of a "deal".

Especially considering Geths were the bad guys for a good portion of the trilogy(other than Legion and the "good" Geths that we never saw until the last Rannoch missions), so only EDI really feels like a loss.

but you know the Geth are "innocent" in the second game

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm blazingly, unerringly, stubbornly 100% confident that by rewriting or assuming complete control of the Reapers, their original processes, ergo their "minds", are destroyed anyway.

Whether or not the bulk of the fandom agrees with me, it makes my choice a heck of a lot easier, and my own personal satisfaction's all that matters here.

Exactly. I don't care about the Geth - humanity can construct a new "geth-like" race anyway.

Never liked EDI (forced party member, also cameltoe) anyway.

Legion dies anyway.

Destroy, for me, destroyed what I already wanted to destroy in the past 3 games (Reapers) + one of my characters (lots of them better than her already died: Thane, Mordin hell even fucking Anderson) + a race of robots.

No big deal... no big deal at all.

EDIT: and Shepard lives on in the rubble!

I mean how can you not select Destroy is beyond me?!? After 3 games of wanting to destroy the Reapers? After ridiculing TIM for wanting to Control the Reapers? By controlling them you are no better than TIM!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't care if I'm "no better than The Illusive Man" when Destroy as an emotional piece falls flat on every level for me. I legit cannot stand that ending. I know how unpopular a statement that is, but seriously. Hackett's monologue is the weakest of them all, Shepard flinching in the rubble actively infuriates me (go all the way with it or leave them dead; that five seconds is perhaps the worst in the Trilogy) and I lose my favorite squadmate (EDI; no, I'm being serious here) while slaughtering the memory of what another of my favorites (Legion) died for.

Destroy just bores me while frustrating me. Not a great combination. And as I said in my previous post, I'm a firm believer that the Reapers as we've known them are effectively "dead" no matter the ending (sans Refuse, that is) so not nuking them explosion-style doesn't have me losin' any sleep.

Synthesis may be a bit of a cheesy freakshow and husks gaining consciousness is an abomination of a thing to depict, but it hits me in all the feels anyway. Tricia Helfer has me in tears with that last line. "I am alive and I am not alone." Stunningly beautiful way to end the series.

Control's alright too.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well, that's all well and good. In mine, Destroy isn't. :p

The whole ending thing is a really roundabout eternal internet discussion that's been going on for three years and counting, and one that I generally try to avoid. Every now and then I somehow kite myself back into it.

Let's talk about what we don't know and speculate.

• new combat mechanics?
  • new ship "tempest" control? What will that be like?
  • multiplayer changes?
  • jetpacks...are they great or awesome?
  • protagonist human?

I'm wondering if tempest control is anything more than an xy plane overhead like before. I doubt it.

Multiplayer changes- no versus still (good imo). I think there will be more level interaction so that the maps have more lasting appeal.

Jetpacks - about time! I'm really looking forward to this.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'll leave the multiplayer speculation to the rest of the gang, as I'm not into that side of the series.

Jetpacks are a whole bunch of "hell yes"; this could be really, really awesome if done right. BioWare showed off verticality in Inquisition's regions, so my guess is that there'll be multiple levels involved in the planetary maps in ME4, and jetpacks will be the new ladders.

I don't anticipate the Tempest being more than maybe XYZ, which would still be a pretty cool upgrade were it to come to pass. Probably not, though.

Very stoked it's still probably "just" a human protagonist. After Inquisition, I've serious reservations about how chock full of stuff ME4's leak reads to be like. If it's as bloated as DAI, the core narrative could potentially suffer. I'm in this for the story and the characters, and I want to love it as I have with the first three games. I worried that writing the script to accommodate multiple playable species would dilute the game's potential, and, well, selfishly humans are my favorite race anyway, so this feels like a personal victory.

Something I've wondered for a while: will the new Mako be equipped with weapons? All the concept stuff was devoid of guns. I'd rather it didn't come back only to be a glorified horse, but it'll be nice to have it regardless. So long as banter can fire off while inside the thing. If... er, wait a minute, Mass Effect banter historically doesn't operate the same as Dragon Age. Nevermind, strike my last.

I've also been speculating what the other five squadmates will be. Taking the leak at face value, we know there's a krogan named Drack and a biotic named Cora. We don't know Cora's species, and of course, we don't know the first thing about the remaining five. I hope there's some newness to the lineup. It's reasonable that many fans will argue over which trilogy races should get represented, but I'd like two of 'em to be Andromedan in descent, so to speak. I could do without an asari, or even a turian, but they're staples, and that's a minority opinion. Still, my ideal lineup would be, like, a couple of humans, the krogan, a couple of Andromedans, and then... I don't know, maybe a salarian and a drell or somethin'.

I'll leave the multiplayer speculation to the rest of the gang, as I'm not into that side of the series.

Jetpacks are a whole bunch of "hell yes"; this could be really, really awesome if done right. BioWare showed off verticality in Inquisition's regions, so my guess is that there'll be multiple levels involved in the planetary maps in ME4, and jetpacks will be the new ladders.
I hope the jetpacks' are more than "on rails" ladders. I want to be able to accidentally shoot myself into space. I want gravity to effect them somehow.
I don't anticipate the Tempest being more than maybe XYZ, which would still be a pretty cool upgrade were it to come to pass. Probably not, though.

Very stoked it's still probably "just" a human protagonist. After Inquisition, I've serious reservations about how chock full of stuff ME4's leak reads to be like. If it's as bloated as DAI, the core narrative could potentially suffer. I'm in this for the story and the characters, and I want to love it as I have with the first three games. I worried that writing the script to accommodate multiple playable species would dilute the game's potential, and, well, selfishly humans are my favorite race anyway, so this feels like a personal victory.
Good point. Narrative would probably suffer, so I doubt that they chose that route.
Something I've wondered for a while: will the new Mako be equipped with weapons? All the concept stuff was devoid of guns. I'd rather it didn't come back only to be a glorified horse, but it'll be nice to have it regardless. So long as banter can fire off while inside the thing. If... er, wait a minute, Mass Effect banter historically doesn't operate the same as Dragon Age. Nevermind, strike my last.
It will have weapons for sure. Probably those are the things that we find from the remnants. Maybe we can upgrade the Mako to a Hammerhead.
I've also been speculating what the other five squadmates will be. Taking the leak at face value, we know there's a krogan named Drack and a biotic named Cora. We don't know Cora's species, and of course, we don't know the first thing about the remaining five. I hope there's some newness to the lineup. It's reasonable that many fans will argue over which trilogy races should get represented, but I'd like two of 'em to be Andromedan in descent, so to speak. I could do without an asari, or even a turian, but they're staples, and that's a minority opinion. Still, my ideal lineup would be, like, a couple of humans, the krogan, a couple of Andromedans, and then... I don't know, maybe a salarian and a drell or somethin'.
The leak suggested that Bioware were only looking to bring two previous species back to squad. Probably Asari and Krogan.

EA don't read this:
bringing back other species as playable squad later would make for attractive DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom