• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

I still haven't finished ME3 with the extended ending.

I should really get to it, it's just that every time I decide to do it, I want to play ME1 and 2 first, and THEN I want to do every possible side quest etc and halfway through ME2 I get burned and drop it

Some day.

Don't expect too much with Wrex though, since he isn't even part of your squad. I think, at most, you'll see him in some slideshow with pictures during the ending.

No, there's a bit with him during the leadup to the final push. He asks for Australia in return for saving the earth.

EDIT: Might have been Wreav who did that, now that I think about it. But you definitely run into him either way.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No, there's a bit with him during the leadup to the final push. He asks for Australia in return for saving the earth.

EDIT: Might have been Wreav who did that, now that I think about it. But you definitely run into him either way.

I meant in relation to the extended cut. Wrex was always there in the final mission, with or without it. Even though it's only for a brief moment and far from you.

Patryn

The worst thing is I've beaten the Citadel DLC right before wrapping up the game and the Citadel was INCREDIBLY GOOD. And it was a fucking DLC! I expected at least the same from the game's ending!

Citadel was written after the whole ending debacle, and I suspect it took all that into account.

In many ways it was written to be a new ending (or at least a goodbye for players of the whole trilogy) and provide that sense of closure the original ending didn't provide.

Bisnic

Citadel was written after the whole ending debacle, and I suspect it took all that into account.

In many ways it was written to be a new ending (or at least a goodbye for players of the whole trilogy) and provide that sense of closure the original ending didn't provide.

Yeah, the ending was rushed while the DLC wasn't. You can clearly see the difference in quality between the two.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
How could I misunderstand that... blame's on me.

Anyway, sorry, I have to rant. I know I am 4 years late and there is a new ending but given the circumstances above I have been "lucky" enough to experience the original ending of the Trilogy first.

What in the hell happened, BioWare?

Was ME3 rushed to market? Because it doesn't look like a rushed game. Everything is really great about it, AAA+, impeccable almost and then you have this ending that just sticks out like a sore thumb. The last level was awesome. Fighting like 6 Brutes at the same time and then 3-4 Banshees onslaught all while a huge fucking Reaper is tearing shit apart. Running to the Beam was intense as well. Really underlined the power of Harbringer (unlike the Reaper you destroyed almost HTH on Rannoch). All great stuff. Did not feel rushed AT ALL. The whole game felt COMPLETE. But the Endings... how?!?
Is this a JOKE? You seriously honest to god thought that the final battle was good? That the corridor level crap of an excuse for a last level did not look like a rushed game?

Granted we are supposed to treat different opinions with respect, but how could you not see how the quality of the game greatly diminished after Rannoch? The level design became very bland and just a typical cover-based shooter. Priority Earth is the single worst designed mission in the entire Mass Effect series. I honestly felt like I was playing a bland Call of Duty clone in third person with less impressive level design. Everything about that section reeked of "rushed." Heck even the conversations with former squadmates seemed hastily thrown together.

aravuus

The worst thing is I've beaten the Citadel DLC right before wrapping up the game and the Citadel was INCREDIBLY GOOD. And it was a fucking DLC! I expected at least the same from the game's ending!

Question regarding this: Can I play the DLC missions (citadel, uh, omega? And something) after the ending?

Bisnic

Question regarding this: Can I play the DLC missions (citadel, uh, omega? And something) after the ending?

Sure... but what happens once you beat the game, is that it sends you back to BEFORE the attack on the Cerberus base.... so might as well just beat the DLCs as soon as they become available, or just before attacking the Cerberus base.

Is this a JOKE? You seriously honest to god thought that the final battle was good? That the corridor level crap of an excuse for a last level did not look like a rushed game?

Granted we are supposed to treat different opinions with respect, but how could you not see how the quality of the game greatly diminished after Rannoch? The level design became very bland and just a typical cover-based shooter. Priority Earth is the single worst designed mission in the entire Mass Effect series. I honestly felt like I was playing a bland Call of Duty clone in third person with less impressive level design. Everything about that section reeked of "rushed." Heck even the conversations with former squadmates seemed hastily thrown together.

Yes, the final level was better than the ending itself.

Opinions and all but it really felt grimdark, hopeless, "last stand" etc. for me. I always hate this kind of crap in games but suprisingly it worked in the context of the whole Trilogy. That was it. Do or die. The final confrontation with the Reapers that started back on Eden Prime. No colourful neons, no snarky Salarians, no beautiful vistas - just a hard push towards the goal. Linear or not, combat areas-wise it was the same as Tuchanka Harvester level so I do not see a sudden decrease in quality vs other missions.

Note that I am talking about the period between landing in London, destroying Hades cannon, destroying the Reaper and teleporting up via the Citadel beam. The Citadel itself and Catalyst could have been done much, much better.

EDIT: I also liked TIM confrontation. Was content in how they dealt with him.

aravuus

Sure... but what happens once you beat the game, is that it sends you back to BEFORE the attack on the Cerberus base.... so might as well just beat the DLCs as soon as they become available, or just before attacking the Cerberus base.

Oh, alright, thanks! Seems the game's pretty cheap on Origin right now, so I suppose I should get to it soon. Hopefully the DLC are on sale too.

Would feel kind of dumb to pay 7 euros for the game and over 30 euros for the DLC lol.

Bisnic

Oh, alright, thanks! Seems the game's pretty cheap on Origin right now, so I suppose I should get to it soon. Hopefully the DLC are on sale too.

Would feel kind of dumb to pay 7 euros for the game and over 30 euros for the DLC lol.

I'm sorry to say that's just how it is right now. I don't think ME3 DLCs ever went on sale on Origin.

I pais $30 for the Trilogy and $60 for the following DLC:

- Arrival
- From Ashes
- Omega
- Citadel
- Leviathan

No regrets.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, the final level was better than the ending itself.

Well, that's not exactly high praise, but seriously the entire Priority Earth section some of the worst level design in the entire series.

Just all around terrible.

That's why I wonder if people played the same game I did when I hear comments like "it was GREAT until the ending"

The entire third act was just such a noticeable dip in quality.

Hell the entire game felt rushed and incomplete. Never felt that way in Mass Effect 2.

aravuus

Whoa jesus, I'd forgotten how cheesy ME3 is. Every time this song starts playing, I know it's time to cringe like a mofo.

I kinda remember the beginning of the game having most of this kind of stuff? With all the "oh jeez Ashley I hope you won't die ://" stuff and kid segments and shit.

Also I think I'm gonna romance Ashley just because she's a terrible character and I have a feeling that romancing her will lead to some prettttttty hilariously stupid stuff. All praise Bioware writers.

e: The Citadel dlc is more lighthearted stuff, right? ME3 still has a lot of funny jokes and cheerful segments and such so I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised with it, it's just the dramatic parts that fall super flat

Whoa jesus, I'd forgotten how cheesy ME3 is. Every time this song starts playing, I know it's time to cringe like a mofo.

Uh... it's one of my fave ME3 tracks :(

The Citadel is hilarious. And awesome. Spoilered for Muntu above.
- James hitting on Ashley: "Ashley tu con tantas curvas y yo sin frenos"
- drunk Zaeed, Javik and Wrex taking cover behind a couch and shooting beer bottles
- alcohol destroyed Grunt under the shower
- Jack vs Miranda sexual tension (too bad nothing happens)
- 187 pull-ups
- Salarians directing a movie about Blasto The Shepard and Javik The Prothean
- shooting Brooks
- I love you, Grunt
- Miranda's red dress
- kicking the main bad dude off Normandy... literally
- Joker beating Cortez in a drinking game
- Wrex banter thorough the whole DLC
Best thing about the DLC?

SHEPARD + GARRUS + WREX team is back, woooooooooooooooooo!

aravuus

Uh... it's one of my fave ME3 tracks :(

I didn't mean it that way, it's not a bad song in itself. It just happens to play during most of the terribly executed dramatic moments in the game

Also I had to watch the Grunt video from that list and now I kinda don't give a fuck about the Turians and their problems and Cerberus and just want to get to the DLC content lol

It looks hilarious

Bisnic

I didn't mean it that way, it's not a bad song in itself. It just happens to play during most of the terribly executed dramatic moments in the game

Also I had to watch the Grunt video from that list and now I kinda don't give a fuck about the Turians and their problems and Cerberus and just want to get to the DLC content lol

It looks hilarious

The whole Citadel DLC is never taken seriously. It's a funny ride from start to finish.

Someone need to link that whole story Joker made up to a bartender where he shot Cerberus troops in a Mech, with fake flashback on top of it. lol

Or poor Wrex complaining about too much sex
(and the bag of ice)
with the Genophage cured.
"Trust me, i've been in every positions these last few days."

Oh... and the Volus delivering pizza.

-*while turning around* Alright, let's get to a shuttle an...
*Shepard's confused look*
-What's with the volus? - Shepard
-Oh pizza delivery guy, i got the munchies. - James
- *breathing mask* Double pepperoni. - Volus

There's too many to list everything.

It looks hilarious

It really is great. I think it unlocks in the middle of the game? It was not available from the start to me whereas From Ashes was.

Really good DLC content. The true "ending" of the series for me (cuz fuck the real ending).

Someone need to link that whole story Joker made up to a bartender where he shot Cerberus troops in a Mech, with fake flashback on top of it. lol

Or poor Wrex complaining about too much sex
(and the bag of ice)
with the Genophage cured.
"Trust me, i've been in every positions these last few days."

"It's joking time."

I never had those two scenes triggered (Wrex, Joker) in the DLC. Are there special constraints what scenes will be shown? Like Male Shep vs Fem Shep?

Bisnic

"It's joking time."

I never had those two scenes triggered (Wrex, Joker) in the DLC. Are there special constraints what scenes will be shown? Like Male Shep vs Fem Shep?

I got both on my fem Shep a few days ago, you just need after you talked to Ashley and Garrus over to the bar, to go back to your apartment and check your emails, and Joker will show up at the bar next time. After you talked to Joker, go back to your apartment, check your emails, and Wrex will be at the bar.

aravuus

It really is great. I think it unlocks in the middle of the game? It was not available from the start to me whereas From Ashes was.

Aw man, gonna take a while till I get there then. I think I'm gonna skip most side quests to be honest, like the cerberus base stuff etc, they seem pointless.

Thankfully I have the other DLC too, though. Just started the Leviathan one and it seems kind of intriguing.

Aw man, gonna take a while till I get there then. I think I'm gonna skip most side quests to be honest, like the cerberus base stuff etc, they seem pointless.

Thankfully I have the other DLC too, though. Just started the Leviathan one and it seems kind of intriguing.

I checked in Wiki and it unlocks after the Cerberus coup.

Do you have the Omega DLC as well? I loved it.

Bisnic

I'm pretty sure the Citadel DLC unlock right after the attack of Cerberus on the Citadel.

Problem is, if you want to fully enjoy the DLC, i think you might need to wait after Rannoch(for Tali) and Horizon(for Miranda), and do the main sidequests for Grunt, Samara and Jacob, Kasumi & Zaeed quests on the Citadel, etc. Otherwise, i'm almost sure they won't be there.

Daemul

I pais $30 for the Trilogy and $60 for the following DLC:

- Arrival
- From Ashes
- Omega
- Citadel
- Leviathan

No regrets.

Did you not buy the weapon packs? If not, go and buy them, the weapons they come with are so good, the Cerberus Harrier especially. Also get the alternate squadmate outfit DLC, if only just to get a good outfit for EDI.

Mass Effect is the only series which I literally own every single piece of DLC for, including all the appearance and weapon packs, and they are all so good, except for Pinnacle Station. Fuck that shitty DLC, waste of $5.

aravuus

Yeah, pretty sure I got that one too. Certainly seems like the DLC content is way higher quality than the main game content so far.

I'm pretty sure the Citadel DLC unlock right after the attack of Cerberus on the Citadel.

Problem is, if you want to fully enjoy the DLC, i think you might need to wait after Rannoch(for Tali) and Horizon(for Miranda), and do the main sidequests for Grunt, Samara and Jacob, Kasumi & Zaeed quests on the Citadel, etc. Otherwise, i'm almost sure they won't be there.

Alright, thanks. I'll keep that in mind

Patryn

Skipping side content in ME3 can, on occasion, lead to characters being killed off-screen and sub-optimal solutions.

Just an FYI.

You'll be safe skipping any of the N7 missions, but you may want to be wary skipping other things.

Did you not buy the weapon packs? If not, go and buy them, the weapons they come with are so good, the Cerberus Harrier especially. Also get the alternate squadmate outfit DLC, if only just to get a good outfit for EDI.

Mass Effect is the only series which I literally own every single piece of DLC for, including all the appearance and weapon packs, and they are all so good, except for Pinnacle Station. Fuck that shitty DLC, waste of $5.

Nah, I never buy cosmetics stuffs for any game I own. Never even design my own if there is an option etc.

Daemul

107211-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-biceps-h-DXwa.gif

Omega is the best DLC in the series, fighting alongside Aria fucking T'Loak was worth the entrance fee alone. Omega was 4 hours of unadulterated combat bliss and I loved every moment of it. The backdrop was also gorgeous, goddamn Bioware are good at creating some beautiful backdrops in Mass Effect games.

All hail the Queen of Omega

Omega-DLC.jpg

Yeah, if you have everyone alive in your playthrough it's best to put off starting the Citadel DLC until right before you attack Cronos Station, since you would have done every other mission and met everyone by then.

I've only had one playthrough like that though, my full Paragon run, which I deleted once I finished with it because it was boring as fuck lol. In most of my playthroughs more than half of the squadmates are dead, so in my situation I can start the DLC anytime, but I usually still leave it until right before Cronos since it makes the most sense to play it then story wise.

I skip the party though, since it makes no sense playing through it when so many people are dead. Also because it's cheesy as fuck. I mean the whole DLC is cheesy, but the party just takes it to cringe level.

I liked Pinnacle Station. Plus, it also helps with the squad mate achievements.

Doc-Rivers.gif

*removes Toa from friend list*

:p

Patryn

Omega is the best DLC in the series, fighting alongside Aria fucking T'Loak was worth the entrance fee alone. Omega was 4 hours of unadulterated combat bliss and I loved every moment of it. The backdrop was also gorgeous, goddamn Bioware are good at creating some beautiful backdrops in Mass Effect games.

All hail the Queen of Omega

Omega's major problem is that the second squadmate has very little development. That means
when she sacrifices herself it doesn't really have a lot of impact because you haven't really had an opportunity to get to know her or utilize her that much.

Bisnic

Omega's major problem is that the second squadmate has very little development. That means
when she sacrifices herself it doesn't really have a lot of impact because you haven't really had an opportunity to get to know her or utilize her that much.

The whole point of her existence was to show the female Turian's model I guess.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I was quite excited by the thought of another ME thread on my sub list...

...then I realised it's my favourite thread on the Citadel re-branded for Community.

Still...I'm pretty excited anyway, feels right to be here with the reveal threads incoming (touch wood!) :)

Ralemont

not me

There are not many corridors on Priority: Earth. And the last fight is pretty cool level design: it has cover placements, but enemies can rush in multiple directions, which means you actually need to look for defensible positions around the street and inside busted up shops that you can use if you need to fall back because of goddamn Banshees and brutes charging you.

Toa TAK

Banned
Battle of Omega was boring, yo. I don't care about Aria or her friends or all of Omega for that matter. Being action-focused was fine and all, but the battles had little weight because you don't give a shit for any of the characters involved.

I LOVED Mass Effect like all of you, but I need this remaster with all DLC so that I can KNOW Mass Effect lore like all of you. Some of you are a walking Codex and it puts me to shame. Although, I think my knowledge of the multiplayer mechanics are pretty strong and I'm good at it so I can help there.

We need "Hopes & Dreams" back in our title!

Also, I hope Shinobi continues to give us Teaser Tweets even though we're tucked away in Community.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Battle of Omega was boring, yo. I don't care about Aria or her friends or all of Omega for that matter. Being action-focused was fine and all, but the battles had little weight because you don't give a shit for any of the characters involved.

I cared. My problem with the DLC is how absurdly combat-focused it is. A little bit more away from the fighting would have gone a long way with me, not so much because it was intensely lacking, but because I always just feel drained (in a bad way) at a certain point in Omega. Too much combat padding.

well damn, it looks as though clevernoob has deleted their indoctrination documentaries.

anyways, I got some things that I've always wondered about but never got definitive answers, this was back when Me3's controversy & IT were still relatively fresh.

who exactly is jessica merizan? what is her affiliation with bioware? i remember back before EC, she released several tweets that neither confirmed or denied IT, but very much implied that IT isn't (wasn't) entirely ruled out. things like "starchild/catalyst doesn't seem trustworthy" "is presumed to be a being of light" "pick red & go save tali" I can't get the specific tweets because again, the documentaries are gone and part 2 had screenshots of like all of them.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
think of the amazing aliens in another galaxy

I know, it could be amazing!

I like the Ark ship theory too... as long as there are enough ties to the Milky Way established lore/races/culture...I don't see any problem with a Pathfinder mission to Andromeda.

Daemul

Nah man, you don't need to care about the characters to enjoy all the action. I can count on one hand the number of video game characters that I've actually ever given a shit about, but that has never prevented me from enjoying playing through games regardless. It's may be nice to have some weight in the battles, but it's not needed when the combat is so damn fun like it is in ME3.

I cared. My problem with the DLC is how absurdly combat-focused it is. A little bit more away from the fighting would have gone a long way with me, not so much because it was intensely lacking, but because I always just feel drained (in a bad way) at a certain point in Omega. Too much combat padding.

I can see why you and others may find the combat a bit much, but man I loved it. The DLC focused on the best aspect of the game and I enjoyed every moment of it. Cerberus were very fun to fight here due to the addition of the Rampert Mechs and Adjutants, they really spiced things up.

well damn, it looks as though clevernoob has deleted their indoctrination documentaries.

anyways, I got some things that I've always wondered about but never got definitive answers, this was back when Me3's controversy & IT were still relatively fresh.

who exactly is jessica merizan? what is her affiliation with bioware? i remember back before EC, she released several tweets that neither confirmed or denied IT, but very much implied that IT isn't (wasn't) entirely ruled out. things like "starchild/catalyst doesn't seem trustworthy" "is presumed to be a being of light" "pick red & go save tali" I can't get the specific tweets because again, the documentaries are gone and part 2 had screenshots of like all of them.

The IT videos were deleted? I'm surprised it took that long, they were proven bunk nearly 3 years ago.

Merizan used to be Bioware Community Manager, she left last year due to family reasons. I always liked her, she's the one who organised those character voice reveals, Bioware AMA's, Bioware Bases etc, and I always respected her and the likes of Chris Priestley for being able to trudge through the cesspit that is BSN, especially at the height of Mass Effects popularity between Mass Effect 2 and 3, when the weirdest members still ran riot.

On her tweets, they were made during the ending fiasco, and as community manager it was her job to try and diffuse some of the anger, so when she saw IT taking off she cosied up to the believers since they were the biggest group and dropped some hints here and there to keep them sated whilst Bioware created the extended cut. It really was a community management masterclass from Jessica and I'm not surprised at just how many people got suckered in by it.

The IT videos were deleted? I'm surprised it took that long, they were proven bunk nearly 3 years ago.
Not really. Although the IT was proven to be untrue, the documentaries did well in showing a lot of the plotholes and inconsistencies that existed within ME. Mostly the ending of Me3, of course. But even he was inaccurate in some of the things he pointed out.

Merizan used to be Bioware Community Manager, she left last year due to family reasons. I always liked her, she's the one who organised those character voice reveals, Bioware AMA's, Bioware Bases etc, and I always respected her and the likes of Chris Priestley for being able to trudge through the cesspit that is BSN, especially at the height of Mass Effects popularity between Mass Effect 2 and 3, when the weirdest members still ran riot.

On her tweets, they were made during the ending fiasco, and as community manager it was her job to try and diffuse some of the anger, so when she saw IT taking off she cosied up to the believers since they were the biggest group and dropped some hints here and there to keep them sated whilst Bioware created the extended cut. It really was a community management masterclass from Jessica and I'm not surprised at just how many people got suckered in by it.
unless she had no knowledge of what was going on with EC, it sounds like she was feeding false hope to the part of the community hoping in IT to be adopted.

Not discrediting all the good things she's done as a part of bioware, but that's what that (her statements post Me3 release pre EC/during IT specualtion) sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom