• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're incorrect.

If they announce nothing, then we can safely start a new playthrough using our existing trilogy (for me, on the 360).

If they announce a remaster, I wait for that.

Simple!

Thats pretty much what I'm waiting for. I'd really love a re-released trilogy with all the DLC though.

Daria

Driving the Mako for the first time with janky analog sticks was quite a task.

using lift and assigning each individual's own, this game is growing on me so much

and on top of that, this game saves very seldomly or hurts you when you die and start so far back. a nice challenge and rewarding when you get through. but damnit I hate losing my upgrades I just set ugh

Patryn

Driving the Mako for the first time with janky analog sticks was quite a task.

using lift and assigning each individual's own, this game is growing on me so much

and on top of that, this game saves very seldomly or hurts you when you die and start so far back. a nice challenge and rewarding when you get through. but damnit I hate losing my upgrades I just set ugh
You can manually save almost anywhere.

You can manually save almost anywhere.

The first time you learn the importance of the manual saving is usually when you lost 50-90 minutes of progress to it. I recall a particularly nasty stint on Noveria like that when I rented the game on 360 back in '07, although I can't remember the exact details. Just that I was so pissed I didn't come back to the game until the next day. But the autosaving was much improved in later games in the series.

Daria

The first time you learn the importance of the manual saving is usually when you lost 50-90 minutes of progress to it. I recall a particularly nasty stint on Noveria like that when I rented the game on 360 back in '07, although I can't remember the exact details. Just that I was so pissed I didn't come back to the game until the next day. But the autosaving was much improved in later games in the series.

Noveria is where my stretch was too. After activating the Mira Core in Peak 15 i thought I was good to go, so I just started walking around, entered through the door, turned into a walkway and suddenly got blasted by some sort of fireball I'm assuming. after doing this 6-8 times and trying alternate routes I took it one step at a time and saved after downing certain enemies. now I'm well prepared.

Patryn

I really don't think they're doing a remaster.

The math people are doing based on EA's comments about showing 12 HD titles, of which we know 9, and that doesn't include Mass Effect 4, makes me think it's not coming.

The alternate is that I'm really correct, and ME4 is going to be a 2017 title and will be skipping this E3.

Patryn

I've never bought digital games from Amazon. This is different than an origin key? Is it tied to some service?
It is an Origin key, I believe.

Amazon also sells Steam keys, but Mass Effect 3 isn't on Steam, which makes me think it's all Origin for this.

If they announce a remaster, I wait for that.
They need to announce that trilogy. It has to be real.

Like, I HAVE to have Me2 on my Ps4!!!

we've already got the nathan drake collection announced, now it's time to announce the commander shepard collection!!!!

diaspora

I've never bought digital games from Amazon. This is different than an origin key? Is it tied to some service?

Origin keys.

$9 is a fucking steal, especially since you can run these games with 4k textures and ReShade.

edit: Downsampled from 4k ME1 and 2 were unbelievable especially with the texture mods.

Patryn

They need to announce that trilogy. It has to be real.

Like, I HAVE to have Me2 on my Ps4!!!

we've already got the nathan drake collection announced, now it's time to announce the commander shepard collection!!!!

I don't think you're getting your wish at this point.

Patryn

so you no longer believe the ME trilogy will be remastered?

i'm afraid i don't remember if you ever did believe that.
I did, and I now doubt. I'm at 30 percent it's at E3.

If we get past N7 day this year with no word, I will be firmly back in the it's not happening camp.

So in the Rare thread we saw that Phil Spencer had the XBLA version of Banjo Kazooie in his recent play history on Xbox Live, but right below that he had Mass Effect 1.

Mass Effect trilogy remaster confirmed at MS press conference.

Patryn

So in the Rare thread we saw that Phil Spencer had the XBLA version of Banjo Kazooie in his recent play history on Xbox Live, but right below that he had Mass Effect 1.

Mass Effect trilogy remaster confirmed at MS press conference.

Hmm. I hadn't considered this scenario.

If it did show up at the MS press conference, I would be curious if they helped bankroll it, making it an exclusive.

Squire

Banned
forget n7 day. if they don't announce it at e3, it won't be happening.

I wouldn't say that. There's nothing stopping them from showing a trailer for the new game at E3 and announcing a remastered trilogy later. That'd be a better announcement on N7 day anyway as that's what it's about: legacy. I think that's perfectly plausible.

Theodoricos

Hello, everybody!

I've been a lurker of this thread for a while and since I recently got my NeoGAF account accepted, I can now post in it as well, and join any discussions happening here.

At any rate, Mass Effect 1 & 2 are my two most favorite games of all time. Never before have I been attached to a fictional setting or a cast of characters this strongly. As a result, I've replayed ME1 & 2 more than any other game, and it doesn't hurt that I also find them really fun to simply play. I was incredibly disappointed by ME3, which is ironically what got me to finally join the Bioware Social Network back in the day.

I hope that the new Mass Effect will give Bioware a sort of a fresh start, though. So far I'm not sure what to think of the leaked information, but I do like the focus on exploration at least. That works for a first installment in what could end up being a whole trilogy.

I hope something happens at E3 in relation to Mass Effect, anyway. I guess we'll see soon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yes, so let's save the whining until after the press conference.

EA press conferences have pretty much never wowed me. We will see if they can do that this year.

Mass Effect, Mirror Edge and Star Wars should be good enough to make it interesting hopefully.

Daemul

I cam here to say the same thing. We'll see what happens at the EA conference, but I wouldn't be surprised if a remaster doesn't happen. Is it worth the investment making a remaster for one platform? We'll have to wait and see, Mass Effect 1 might be made free and only ME2 and ME3 get remasters for both consoles, or Bioware might rely on people wanting to play a graphically upgraded port of the trilogy on XBO/PS4 instead of just using backwards capability. I don't know.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You can put the fear that ME4 would be an X1 exclusive to rest now. IMO it was a dumb fear, but whatever.

If MS had ANY sort of marketing deal with the new Mass Effect you can bet your ass it would have been shown at their press conference.

X-Frame

I cam here to say the same thing. We'll see what happens at the EA conference, but I wouldn't be surprised if a remaster doesn't happen. Is it worth the investment making a remaster for one platform? We'll have to wait and see, Mass Effect 1 might be made free and only ME2 and ME3 get remasters for both consoles, or Bioware might rely on people wanting to play a graphically upgraded port of the trilogy on XBO/PS4 instead of just using backwards capability. I don't know.

Personally, even if I did only have a 360 and an XBO and I had to ability to play them again on the XBO, I still would vastly prefer a remaster, especially for ME1's sake with the terrible performance. Not to mention if they bumped it up to 1080/60.

I mean XBO can play OG Gears 1 again correct, but now they'll also get the remastered version too.

Squire

Banned
You can put the fear that ME4 would be an X1 exclusive to rest now. IMO it was a dumb fear, but whatever.

If MS had ANY sort of marketing deal with the new Mass Effect you can bet your ass it would have been shown at their press conference.

The game isn't releasing tomorrow or even this holiday. There can still be a marketing deal of some sort. Fallout 4 shows MS remembers those relationships and is interested in maintaining them. After Dragon Age, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat with ME.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
MS showing Mass Effect specifically for 360 BC makes me doubt the remaster even more.

Beat me to it. I doubt EA's going to remaster these games for one system.

I agree with y'all's sentiments, but it doesn't completely ruin the possibility.

Something to keep in mind is that the only games being offered are the ones that the publisher allows to be offered for BC. So far the first Mass Effect is confirmed. Not ME2 or ME3. Also, there is no guarantee how well it will run.

And yes, they could easily release it on only the PS4. The user base is now quite large and there is certainly money to be made.

But yes, I am officially in the not likely camp. We will know for sure after EAs press conference.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The game isn't releasing tomorrow or even this holiday. There can still be a marketing deal of some sort. Fallout 4 shows MS remembers those relationships and is interested in maintaining them. After Dragon Age, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat with ME.
We don't know shit about the release date. Everyone (except me) was surprised that Fallout 4 was given a release date for this year.

Patryn

Well, we pretty much all knew that ME4 is going to get a large showcase in an hour.

I agree with y'all's sentiments, but it doesn't completely ruin the possibility.

Something to keep in mind is that the only games being offered are the ones that the publisher allows to be offered for BC. So far the first Mass Effect is confirmed. Not ME2 or ME3. Also, there is no guarantee how well it will run.

And yes, they could easily release it on only the PS4. The user base is now quite large and there is certainly money to be made.

But yes, I am officially in the not likely camp. We will know for sure after EAs press conference.

MS was the publisher of ME1 on the 360. So if BC requires publisher approval (which is what they said), that's an easy one to get because they just need to ask themselves.

We don't know shit about the release date. Everyone (except me) was surprised that Fallout 4 was given a release date for this year.

Not really. I feel like about 50 percent of the game journos I follow were predicting a 2015 date, along with a lot of people online.

Hell, I had been predicting a 2015 date for Fallout 4 for over a year at this point.

Yeah. Any co-marketing deal will manifest itself next year at E3 and not this year.

But it was never going to be an X1 exclusive. EA isn't that dumb after Titanfall.

Pic from Bioware's blog on the reveal:
MEA_small.png

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have no idea of that is all they are going to show. If so then this press conference is going to suck pretty bad.

I mean seriously, if that's it then they shouldn't have even bothered, just released all that as PR and said it wasn't going to be at E3.

Patryn

I have no idea of that is all they are going to show. If so then this press conference is going to suck pretty bad.

I mean seriously, if that's it then they shouldn't have even bothered, just released all that as PR and said it wasn't going to be at E3.

That'll be it.

Next year will be the Mass Effect year, I guess.

The title and graphics, if truly in-engine, are kickass. Incredible job on the landscapes.

Not much else to chew on though - the lack of character and plot in the reveal leaves me underwhelmed. I really expected them to establish the 'new Shepard' more... now it just seems like the Inquisitor 2.0 with an N7 badge.

I asked this in the trailer thread, but dropping it here too.

Are we going to be fighting against the Prothean Empire? Looks like their tech popping out of the ground. Could they have sent an Ark to Andromeda during the last cycle?

Patryn

I asked this in the trailer thread, but dropping it here too.

Are we going to be fighting against the Prothean Empire? Looks like their tech popping out of the ground. Could they have sent an Ark to Andromeda during the last cycle?

Probably not. I think they want to put the Protheans and the Reapers behind them.

It's a new race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom