• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
LOL Artisan, no. No, I absolutely do not think less than a handful of dudes on GAF saying something makes it a popular opinion by any stretch.

LOL Artisan, no. No, I absolutely do not think less than a handful of dudes on GAF saying something makes it a popular opinion by any stretch.
that's what I meant when I said none of us are the spokesman representative of the ME community. but why is it not an indication to you, that, given in this conversation you've been a part of that you are the one with the unpopular opinion?

i think shinobi was accurate when he said you haven't frequented in ME discussions

Squire

Banned
He's not. I've seen plenty of wider discussion. I just don't think being the outlier in a discussion between like 3-4 people is representative of the community.

Like he said though, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I think you're as far off-base as you probably think I am, honestly. It's whatever.

He's not. I've seen plenty of wider discussion. I just don't think being the outlier in a discussion between like 3-4 people is representative of the community.

Like he said though, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I think you're as far off-base as you probably think I am, honestly. It's whatever.
i'm not saying 3-4 people should be representative of the community either but that it should be an indication to you that it is a popular opinion. but yeah, everyone's entitled to their own.

Patryn

That's what we're arguing. Whether or not they're crucial. I know that they're good, add to the experience, and that people like them. I do myself.

Edit: You guys come at this from "it's the consensus" and then go "just my view" at the end. Which is it?

I don't think if someone played ME1-3, just the core games through with none of the DLC, that they would feel there are gaps in the world or the narrative. I mean, I didn't. Did you? Pretty sure everyone posting right now played the vanilla versions of the games.

That's what I mean when I say I don't think the DLC is "viral/crucial" and why I have a difficult time believing that's any sort of consensus. Mass Effect is not good because of the DLC and doesn't fall apart without it. If that's broadly considered to be the case, I've misread an entire fandom. I disagree either way.
Liara suddenly being the shadowbroker without explanation in ME3 is a massive gap, if you ask me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

And I just find it funny how you dismiss everything as "handful of dudes on GAF saying something"

At the end of the day you have to gauge popular opinion somewhere. When it comes to games, forums, twitter, reddit etc are probably the best place. If a lot of people on those places share an opinion then its a good bet that others outside of it do too. However, short of polling everyone who owns a game/system etc. You'll never truly know.

One exception to that is Assassins Creed games, where you're given the opportunity to rate each mission when you finish it.

diaspora

Actually after playing Leviathan and From Ashes, I was pretty shocked that they weren't part of the main narrative. Really shocked in fact, almost to the point of anger that they relegated that content into side DLC. That feeling was pretty prevalent on this forum around that time too. So with that bit at least, I do feel those two pieces of content are indeed crucial. The trilogy are the best trio of games I've ever played regardless of DLC anyway. I don't think anyone's saying the games are "shit" without them, just that some of them add significant information to the the core story and the ME universe in general, and amplify the experience to the point that they're highly worth buying and not skipping.

But anecdotally, the majority of ME fans I've talked to agree some of the DLC is vital to the experience. But it's not like I have some Mass Effect shares to change your mind or anything lol, anyone's free to feel what they want.

I agree that both Leviathan and From Ashes should have been a part of the narrative. I'd argue that the events of Shadow Broker ought to have been woven in as well for those who didn't own it since it's a fucking ridiculous leap to have Liara being an Illium info broker to killing and replacing one of the deadliest people in the galaxy.

I agree that both Leviathan and From Ashes should have been a part of the narrative. I'd argue that the events of Shadow Broker ought to have been woven in as well for those who didn't own it since it's a fucking ridiculous leap to have Liara being an Illium info broker to killing and replacing one of the deadliest people in the galaxy.
i heard a while back that javik was originally supposed to be more of a scientist and help out with the crucible as a main part of the plot, but that was rewritten and liara took the scientist role and javik became a dlc squadmate who knew very little about the crucible because he was a soldier

I'd say that the only pieces of DLC that strike me as "essential" are From Ashes and maybe Leviathan. Extended Cut is free, so that doesn't count as DLC, but if you feel like insisting that it is that ups it to 3.

Everything else is just "why would you skip this are you stupid" tier. Citadel especially. Best bit of DLC I've ever played.

Squire

Banned
Given the logic that everyone's tried explaining to you combined with the fact that no one essentially is agreeing with you here, I find that you are the one being incredibly silly, buddy.

You know when you read research findings for social observations and they say something like "We've found that 1 out every 5 people..."? The key word there is "every", as in multiple groups. We're talking about a single group of five people out of however many millions bought Mass Effect. This discussion isn't indicative of any sort of consensus.

Now, you're perfectly free to believe what you want, I'm just telling you: That's not how that works.

You know when you read research findings for social observations and they say something like "We've found that 1 out every 5 people..."? The key word there is "every", as in multiple groups. We're talking about a single group of five people out of however many millions bought Mass Effect. This discussion isn't indicative of any sort of consensus.

Now, you're perfectly free to believe what you want, I'm just telling you: That's not how that works.
then you're still missing the point. there are others in this thread who have stated they have seen and read opinions that are consistent with the popular opinion in this discussion. yet, you are arguing that no such consensus exists, but it sounds like you're just refusing to believe it, given how you're ignoring a lot of what other people are saying.

it was also told to you that, yes, it's next to impossible to know how every single person feels about ME, but that from what can be gathered out of the people who given their thoughts, there is a commonality, and that is that the dlcs are vital to the trinomial experience.

you're right, you're free to believe whatever you want, we all are. but if you disbelieve that there's a consensus, then i'm inclined to say that objectively, you're wrong about that.

You're the one who seems silly.
200.gif

kpzero

Neo Member
I honestly don't know how somebody could say that there are no essential dlc. I know people who didn't play Shadow Broker or Arrival before ME3 and they were somewhat confused. I cant imagine playing ME3 without From Ashes. Others like Leviathan aren't necessarily needed but change the player's understanding or perception. There are definitely some crucial dlc.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
One thing that Bioware should do with Andromeda is not making crucial/essential/super important for the lore DLC.

They should make more Bring Down the Sky, Overlord and Omega and less Leviathan, Arrival and Shadow Broker.

And before someone say "but Omega was worse than Leviathan" or "but Shadow Broker was awesome", I'm talking purely on "not a big deal if missed" story content here. :p

DLC shouldn't be essential to have a better understanding of the lore or to avoid confusion in the sequel, it's stupid. It's even worse when that DLC is just as expensive as when it was released years ago.

AlStrong

Yeah I'd prefer it if they had all their story/plot stuff in the game, planned all along. DLC should just be inconsequential stuff.

i went back to watch the n7 video a couple of times and i know a lot of people reacted as it being "fucking nothing . gif", but I like it. I like the femshep voiceover and the general message it tells about mankind n shit.

Yesterday I realized I wore my Mass Effect hoodie and shoes at the same time lol

*obligatory "I don't care about Andromeda; give us ME trilogy remaster ASAP" comment*

diaspora

Yeah I'd prefer it if they had all their story/plot stuff in the game, planned all along. DLC should just be inconsequential stuff.

They can have story/plot stuff in DLC but they need to actually make an effort into explaining that shit in following titles so people aren't lost. Give them a cutscene or something.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've made more friends IRL with my N7 t-shirt than with any other piece of clothing ever.

It's the best conversation starter with like minded individuals out.

Actually scored my latest job via that t-shirt now that I think about it (in that, I met my now boss at a bar where she recognised the Mass Effect vibe and that is how we met). Thanks N7, you are keeping my wallet full and my Biotics stocked up :D

I've made more friends IRL with my N7 t-shirt than with any other piece of clothing ever.

It's the best conversation starter with like minded individuals out.

Actually scored my latest job via that t-shirt now that I think about it (in that, I met my now boss at a bar where she recognised the Mass Effect vibe and that is how we met). Thanks N7, you are keeping my wallet full and my Biotics stocked up :D
haha, nice. i have on more than one occasion received comments about my n7 hoodie/apparel. in the masjid, in the library at college, at a concert, a random passersby in the college deli.

it's great.

Soi-Fong

Extremely LTTP, but I just finished Mass Effect 2 and it was fucking AMAZING!!! Tali is seriously the best waifu ever!!!! :p I think I'm in love with Quarians in general. lol

I'm thinking of not playing ME3 until much closer to Andromeda.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One thing that Bioware should do with Andromeda is not making crucial/essential/super important for the lore DLC.

They should make more Bring Down the Sky, Overlord and Omega and less Leviathan, Arrival and Shadow Broker.

And before someone say "but Omega was worse than Leviathan" or "but Shadow Broker was awesome", I'm talking purely on "not a big deal if missed" story content here. :p

DLC shouldn't be essential to have a better understanding of the lore or to avoid confusion in the sequel, it's stupid. It's even worse when that DLC is just as expensive as when it was released years ago.

I actually agree with this. Perfect examples are Witcher 3, Fallout games, Borderlands, and Dishonored. All of that DLC was detached from the main story and felt like an experience all on its own.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Extremely LTTP, but I just finished Mass Effect 2 and it was fucking AMAZING!!! Tali is seriously the best waifu ever!!!! :p I think I'm in love with Quarians in general. lol

BAd idea. Play it sooner, rather than later.

Lucreto

It's a good idea to space the games out. I plan to play the whole Trilogy again sometime in June but I will be playing something else inbetween each title.

I am playing 3 open world games at the moment, Syndicate, Mad Max and Just Cause and I feel burnt out.

No, go play it right now. Your waifu awaits.

Best mission love-interest banter

So, how would you guys rate your love interests?
For me:

1) Miranda/Liara - Genetically perfect Femme fatale and attractive alien Shadow Broker, can't go wrong with either.
2) Tali - Best personality, she was like the great college gf.

I regret not giving Jack more of a chance--I've heard her development is rewarding.
Ashley was just like a normal fiction soldier romance with less usefulness in combat.

It's a good idea to space the games out. I plan to play the whole Trilogy again sometime in June but I will be playing something else inbetween each title.

I am playing 3 open world games at the moment, Syndicate, Mad Max and Just Cause and I feel burnt out.
true, but all things considered about Me3, I think it's better to play it now rather than later.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Nah mate, get amongst it now: there are SO many good games out now and coming out in 2016 before Andromeda, you may as well play ME3 while ME2 is still fresh in your head for continuity.

My advice, make sure to get all the story DLC for ME3, in my humble opinion, it's ALL essential to your overall ME3 enjoyment.

I want a Mass Effect 4x strategy game.

Homeworld Remastered has Mass Effect Reborn: I haven't played it yet but heard about it a while ago....could be good!

Ralemont

not me
But the wait will be soo long for Andromeda then!!!

you owe it to yourself to experience tali's me3 romance asap.

see above. Garrus gets a strong second place. Liara comes in third for Lair of the Shadow Broker, even if her me3 romance is a bit generic.

On that note, I wish they'd explore the emotional consequence of an asari/human relationship more. Think Two Towers with Arwen and Elrond talking about her lingering sorrow after Aragorn dies. It's just kind of disregarded with Liara. That's part of why I think Tali's works: even if the whole quarian immune system issue is resolved too easily, it's at least a central part of the dialogues (as is how life on the Flotilla informs quarian culture's views on intimacy and romance).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
you owe it to yourself to experience tali's me3 romance asap.

Why? When the only thing i can remember from that is the photoshopped picture of her, that's not a good thing right?

Or were you talking about her cringeworthy singing from the Citadel DLC? ;)

Ralemont

not me
Why? When the only thing i can remember from that is the photoshopped picture of her, that's not a good thing right?

Tali's romance content is well-integrated into the Rannoch plot missions (which makes sense since Patrick Weekes did both the Tali and Rannoch writing), which makes it feel important and relevant in a way perhaps other romances can't emulate. She also has the best pair of goodbye scenes on Priority: Earth, and her drunken lamentations after Sanctuary are even funnier in a romance.

Or were you talking about her cringeworthy singing from the Citadel DLC? ;)

That too!

Also, I'm a bit LTTP on the last page, but I don't actually mind Leviathan not being in the base game, because I suspect the story was substantially reworked to include the exposition for the main plot that it had. Remember that Walters had a note saying that the origins of the conflict didn't need an explanation at all and was supposed to be sort of mysterious: I can only imagine they decided to explain how things got to where they were after the game released and fans wanted everything explained. So to reframe, I'd say that they should have had an explanation in from the start, but not necessarily in the form of Leviathan, which is much more expensive than what would have been included in the base game.

No, go play it right now. Your waifu awaits.

Best mission love-interest banter

For me:

1) Miranda/Liara - Genetically perfect Femme fatale and attractive alien Shadow Broker, can't go wrong with either.
2) Tali - Best personality, she was like the great college gf.

I regret not giving Jack more of a chance--I've heard her development is rewarding.
Ashley was just like a normal fiction soldier romance with less usefulness in combat.

in my very first Me2 playthrough I made my femshep romance Garrus, but I've made her single in pretty much every playthrough since then.

for Muhammad Shepard,

1. Tali
2. Miranda
3. Jack

although I think I romanced Jack more often than Miranda but I like Miranda more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom