• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

dlc is pretty vital for these games.
Speaking of! If a remaster can't happen (looking likely) it would be great if Bioware repackaged the DLCs into something convenient and reasonably priced.
Probably been brought up a million times already though.

So here's a Hanar... doing... stuff.
NWeSgZ7.jpg

Speaking of! If a remaster can't happen (looking likely) it would be great if Bioware repackaged the DLCs into something convenient and reasonably priced.
Probably been brought up a million times already though.

So here's a Hanar... doing... stuff.
lol, we just got done discussing a remaster again on the last page. Unfortunately it always ends up getting hostile :\

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I definitely don't think I agree with "vital" as a descriptor. Which ones do you think are vital? I've enjoyed the ones I've played, but I can't imagine ever describing them as key to the experience.
For Mass Effect 2 Lair of the Shadow Broker and the Arrival are pretty vital storywise. Operation Overload is a good one, but isn't necessary.

For Mass Effect 3 yeah, they're all pretty vital, although Omega could have been a lot better.

Squire

Banned
For Mass Effect 2 Lair of the Shadow Broker and the Arrival are pretty vital storywise. Operation Overload is a good one, but isn't necessary.

For Mass Effect 3 yeah, they're all pretty vital, although Omega could have been a lot better.

Ehhhhhh. Lair of The Shadow Broker is very good. I didn't even play Arrival. Javik was cool. I never got to play Onega, but it's sounds like that was quite good. I liked Mass Effect 3 more than most people too (as in I don't care about the ending one way or another.)

So, good content? Sure. In my experience none of this stuff is all that vital though.

Ehhhhhh. Lair of The Shadow Broker is very good. I didn't even play Arrival. Javik was cool. I never got to play Onega, but it's sounds like that was quite good. I liked Mass Effect 3 more than most people too (as in I don't care about the ending one way or another.)

So, good content? Sure. In my experience none of this stuff is all that vital though.
let's agree to disagree, then.

Patryn

Lair of the Shadow Broker is almost unquestionably vital, as it's a major moment of character development for Liara and has direct impact on the setup and world of ME3.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I judge DLC as vital if it expands on the main game and feels essential. Shadowbroker is absolutely critical in that regard. Same with all ME3 DLC. The game feels incomplete without them.

DLC for games like Fallout New Vegas feels like additional content and not necessary to the main story.

That's the difference.

Patryn

I would quibble with Omega being essential. It's there with Overlord in that it doesn't directly impact the main story of the series.

Garlador

Done with means they're not using it in new games. Inquisition is proof of this.
Still doesn't mean they aren't still clinging to the older games though.

I would quibble with Omega being essential. It's there with Overlord in that it doesn't directly impact the main story of the series.
"Omega" is the only one I felt was "non-essential" to ME3... but even that, while not attached to the "core" game, still wrapped up an annoying loose-end of Aria vowing to reclaim Omega in the main game.

My only issue with Omega, mostly, was how it was a "one-and-done" tacked-on DLC mission, rather than bringing Omega back as any sort of hub world to explore like in ME2. That bugged me.

I'd say every other bit of story DLC in ME3, though, is vital.

"Omega" is the only one I felt was "non-essential" to ME3... but even that, while not attached to the "core" game, still wrapped up an annoying loose-end of Aria vowing to reclaim Omega in the main game.

My only issue with Omega, mostly, was how it was a "one-and-done" tacked-on DLC mission, rather than bringing Omega back as any sort of hub world to explore like in ME2. That bugged me.

I'd say every other bit of story DLC in ME3, though, is vital.

I agree with you. Omega is important in that it's an important war asset (storyline, not the War Assets mechanic), and it closes Aria's storyline up with a nice bow, but it could have been a licensed comic book or CGI movie just as easily. It didn't really NEED to be there.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I agree with you. Omega is important in that it's an important war asset (storyline, not the War Assets mechanic), and it closes Aria's storyline up with a nice bow, but it could have been a licensed comic book or CGI movie just as easily. It didn't really NEED to be there.

No, it needed to be there since it would be incredibly unsatisfying if they completely ignored Omega in ME3 given that it was such a big part of ME2. The Omega plot always felt like it was something that was ripped out of the main game.

As for the DLC itself, it was pretty fun, but was wayyy too self contained and you should have been awarded with at least another hub world. Not worth $15, but it was fun while it lasted.

Patryn

No, it needed to be there since it would be incredibly unsatisfying if they completely ignored Omega in ME3 given that it was such a big part of ME2. The Omega plot always felt like it was something that was ripped out of the main game.

As for the DLC itself, it was pretty fun, but was wayyy too self contained and you should have been awarded with at least another hub world. Not worth $15, but it was fun while it lasted.

I can see why you feel like that, but it never bothered me. As I said, I never felt like Omega was essential. My feelings towards ME2 probably help shade my opinion on Omega.

Garlador

You know, speaking in hypotheticals, one thing I forgot to mention that, if a remaster was ever released... or, hell, for Andromeda too... is going back an incorporating some more gender diversity into the earlier titles.

We didn't even see a single female Turian, Krogan, or Salarian (to my knowledge) until ME3. That was always super-bizarre.

Especially on the Citadel, which is supposed to be this giant hub world of all races and walks of life. But in ME1 and ME2, it's exclusively male outside of humans and Asari.

It wouldn't be that hard to swap a few random NPCs out in favor of their newer female counterparts, would it?

I hope Andromeda doesn't neglect the fairer sex as much either.

Patryn

You know, speaking in hypotheticals, one thing I forgot to mention that, if a remaster was ever released... or, hell, for Andromeda too... is going back an incorporating some more gender diversity into the earlier titles.

We didn't even see a single female Turian, Krogan, or Salarian (to my knowledge) until ME3. That was always super-bizarre.

Especially on the Citadel, which is supposed to be this giant hub world of all races and walks of life. But in ME1 and ME2, it's exclusively male outside of humans and Asari.

It wouldn't be that hard to swap a few random NPCs out in favor of their newer female counterparts, would it?

I hope Andromeda doesn't neglect the fairer sex as much either.

That wasn't bizarre when you realized that they just didn't want to spend the time creating the models.

Now that they have models to work off of, it would be nice to keep the diversity, however.

Garlador

That wasn't bizarre when you realized that they just didn't want to spend the time creating the models.

Now that they have models to work off of, it would be nice to keep the diversity, however.

From a development point of view, no, it wasn't bizarre.

From a narrative point of view, it definitely sticks out. Going back and putting in some female NPCs and female aliens would definitely make the first two game worlds feel even more "alive" and natural, instead of feeling like all the women were locked up under lock and key while their men were hitting up Asari exclusively.

Mindlog

Don't forget. Not a single bathroom in Mass Effect 1.

30.1 :(
So many missed opportunities. I like Mass Effect, but it has the pieces to be so much better.

It all started with, Bring Down the Sky. I wonder why DLC encounters and story elements are so often a step above what is in the main game.

Mindlog

Despised those stupid decisions to keep squadmates 'looking unique' instead of giving them proper attire. If they really wanted to make squadmates wearing armor remain as unique as possible they should have taken the hard road and vastly increased contextual dialog and interaction opportunities. Have the fortitude to explore Jack's character even without her tattoos being visible at all times.

Breather masks are the worst. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

You're right. What I meant to say was probably something more like "The Omega DLC that we got didn't feel like it needed to be there." Omega itself certainly did.

I agree that it's way too self contained. It really feels like something out of a different game, or something out of a "Mass Effect Legends" gaiden series or something.

diaspora

Despised those stupid decisions to keep squadmates 'looking unique' instead of giving them proper attire. If they really wanted to make squadmates wearing armor remain as unique as possible they should have taken the hard road and vastly increased contextual dialog and interaction opportunities. Have the fortitude to explore Jack's character even without her tattoos being visible at all times.

Breather masks are the worst. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
The thing is, you CAN have unique outfits while also being proper attire and Bioware has already demonstrated that they can do this in Dragon Age. The vast majority of the armor in Inquisition offers a different look and feel on each character while retaining some unique characteristics.

Garlador

The thing is, you CAN have unique outfits while also being proper attire and Bioware has already demonstrated that they can do this in Dragon Age. The vast majority of the armor in Inquisition offers a different look and feel on each character while retaining some unique characteristics.

While they aren't ENTIRELY a solution, it was a bit of a bummer that, if I wanted Miranda to go into battle in anything other than painted-on latex, I had to pay for the alternate appearance pack....

I never liked having to pay more to make my characters more practical-looking.

Squire

Banned
I always thought those DLC outfits were way over-designed - the opposite of practical.

Miranda looks better in the all black version of her Cerberus gear you get for doing her loyalty quest. Either way though, she's a spook - she dresses like one. *shrug*

Let's not pretend that Miranda's original outfit was for anything but sex appeal.

That said, I do find the DLC gear a little overdesigned. Some of it is really good, though. Miranda's would be fantastic if it didn't have the eye/face piece.

Squire

Banned
Let's not pretend that Miranda's original outfit was for anything but sex appeal.

That said, I do find the DLC gear a little overdesigned. Some of it is really good, though. Miranda's would be fantastic if it didn't have the eye/face piece.

Eh. The outfit being sexy and also reasonably appropriate spy wear aren't mutually exclusive readings, I don't think.

It's nothing like Quiet for instance.

Eh. The outfit being sexy and also reasonably appropriate spy wear aren't mutually exclusive readings, I don't think.

It's nothing like Quiet for instance.

Quiet reindexing impractically sexy combat wear doesn't make Miranda any less of an example, except by comparison :p

Most spies want to wear something that makes them not stand out. Can't really use a "but it's actually practical" explanation.

yeah i wasn't crazy about miranda's whole sexualization thing. honestly not fond of having that in gaming at all tbh but whatever. game was still great.

Squire

Banned
Quiet reindexing impractically sexy combat wear doesn't make Miranda any less of an example, except by comparison :p

Most spies want to wear something that makes them not stand out. Can't really use a "but it's actually practical" explanation.

That's where we disagree - I genuinely don't think it makes her stand out. She's not a marine, so she isn't dressed like one. I've honestly never thought all that much of Miranda's outfit at all.

That's where we disagree - I genuinely don't think it makes her stand out. She's not a marine, so she isn't dressed like one. I've honestly never thought all that much of Miranda's outfit at all.

I actually meant "not standing out" in the context of... well, normal places. Most spies wear basically what normal people wear, precisely to avoid sticking out. So really she should probably have one of those dresses or suit things, lol.

But failing that, having her in combat gear that looks like actual combat gear would be an undeniable improvement in my eyes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On a sidenote:

I still think Mass Effect 2 is a special game. Tons of great memories playing that game. I also played it during a great time in my life.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ill take back what I said earlier about the all ME3 DLC being essential.

I actually don't consider that the Citadel is essential in terms of "it should have been in the main game", but it's a perfect expansion and is self contained in a real way.
It should be played by anyone who considers themselves an ME fan.

I actually don't consider that the Citadel is essential in terms of "it should have been in the main game", but it's a perfect expansion and is self contained in a real way.
I call myself a ME fan and at the moment, do not feel at all compelled to play it.

You don't feel compelled to play The Citadel DLC from ME3? It's the ultimate fan service.

Wat.
Not for me it wasn't. The ultimate fan service would've been adopting the indoctrination theory.
I guess the DLC isn't as vital as previously argued. Funny that.
I'll rephrase: the general consensus is that ME's dlc is vital to the overall trinomial experience. playing the games on their own are of course a worthy experience, but it is fragmented when compared to the more complete experience one gets from all the dlc.

Squire

Banned
I've never heard anyone refer to the DLC as vital or crucial to the experience or anything similiar up until this discussion, so I definitely disagree that that's any sort of consensus. Maybe it is on the BioWare forums or something.

Quitch

Neo Member

Citadel is interesting in that it's positioned as a mission prior to the end of the game, but it's so clearly designed to be played after you've finished as a final send-off to the series (smartly given it came out a year later). I think it was a perfect way to say goodbye, and helped removed that bitter taste that the ending had left.

I've never heard anyone refer to the DLC as vital or crucial to the experience or anything similiar up until this discussion, so I definitely disagree that that's any sort of consensus. Maybe it is on the BioWare forums or something.
honestly, i've only ever heard it with the ME games, and I can't say I disagree with it. I wasn't on the bioware forums much, but I've seen it on Gaf; even in this thread.

You haven't frequented Mass Effect discussion in general then. From here on GAF, to the BioWare forums to other sites like N4G, Reddit, etc, most agree there are essential pieces of content in the DLC. Not all are "crucial", true, but some significantly add to the experience and I'd really argue that fans are missing out by skipping some.

Lair of the Shadow Broker for example plays a huge role in developing Liara's character and the persona of the Shadow Broker, which comes into play later on. DLC like Leviathan and From Ashes add really significant information to the lore. Citadel is basically a love letter to fans. It's my personal opinion that the experience would be far lessened by skipping these, but again that's just my viewpoint.

You haven't frequented Mass Effect discussion in general then. From here on GAF, to the BioWare forums to other sites like N4G, Reddit, etc, most agree there are essential pieces of content in the DLC. Not all are "crucial", true, but some significantly add to the experience and I'd really argue that fans are missing out by skipping some.

Lair of the Shadow Broker for example plays a huge role in developing Liara's character and the persona of the Shadow Broker, which comes into play later on. DLC like Leviathan and From Ashes add really significant information to the lore. Citadel is basically a love letter to fans. It's my personal opinion that the experience would be far lessened by skipping these, but again that's just my viewpoint.
well said, shinobi.

Squire

Banned

That's what we're arguing. Whether or not they're crucial. I know that they're good, add to the experience, and that people like them. I do myself.

Edit: You guys come at this from "it's the consensus" and then go "just my view" at the end. Which is it?

I don't think if someone played ME1-3, just the core games through with none of the DLC, that they would feel there are gaps in the world or the narrative. I mean, I didn't. Did you? Pretty sure everyone posting right now played the vanilla versions of the games.

That's what I mean when I say I don't think the DLC is "viral/crucial" and why I have a difficult time believing that's any sort of consensus. Mass Effect is not good because of the DLC and doesn't fall apart without it. If that's broadly considered to be the case, I've misread an entire fandom. I disagree either way.

That's what we're arguing. Whether or not they're crucial. I know that they're good, add to the experience, and that people like them. I do myself.

Edit: You guys come at this from "it's the consensus" and then go "just my view" at the end. Which is it?

I don't think if someone played ME1-3, just the core games through with none of the DLC, that they would feel there are gaps in the world or the narrative. I mean, I didn't. Did you? Pretty sure everyone posting right now played the vanilla versions of the games.

That's what I mean when I say I don't think the DLC is "viral/crucial" and why I have a difficult time believing that's any sort of consensus. Mass Effect is not good because of the DLC and doesn't fall apart without it. If that's broadly considered to be the case, I've misread an entire fandom. I disagree either way.
Actually after playing Leviathan and From Ashes, I was pretty shocked that they weren't part of the main narrative. Really shocked in fact, almost to the point of anger that they relegated that content into side DLC. That feeling was pretty prevalent on this forum around that time too. So with that bit at least, I do feel those two pieces of content are indeed crucial. The trilogy are the best trio of games I've ever played regardless of DLC anyway. I don't think anyone's saying the games are "shit" without them, just that some of them add significant information to the the core story and the ME universe in general, and amplify the experience to the point that they're highly worth buying and not skipping.

But anecdotally, the majority of ME fans I've talked to agree some of the DLC is vital to the experience. But it's not like I have some Mass Effect shares to change your mind or anything lol, anyone's free to feel what they want.

it's both. if the vast majority of those who have played the games share this view, that makes it a consensus.

nope. I got Me2 on Ps3 and the collector's of Me3, so I had a lot of the dlc right from the start.
pretty much everyone in this conversation with you have said that at least some of the dlc of this franchise are vital. no one person is obviously the spokesperson representative of the ME community, but shouldn't this at least be an indication to you that it is a popular opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom