• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
You're right, my personal woes are personal, but the last part isn't, in that I also do not prefer to play games on a computer.

This sort of reminds me of the bloodborne demand on PC. but like, I understand that the PC versions of this game exists. But I don't want to play the game on a PC because I'm not a PC gamer; and if it does not come remastered to Ps4, then so be it. I'll be upset about it but I'm not gonna rant (much longer) about it.

There have been multiplat PC games that got remastered console versions. tr 2013, for instance.

I didn't say there weren't. I'm saying Mass Effect is luckily one of the series that does have PC versions unlike quite a few other games that people seem to want remasters of, my example being Final Fantasy XII which is still only on the PS2 after nearly ten years.

Jack-Black-Salutes-With-Passion-In-School-Of-Rock-Movie-Gif.gif
jin_kazama_200x200___gif_by_robbiebr-d6tx4j7.gif

I didn't say there weren't. I'm saying Mass Effect is luckily one of the series that does have PC versions unlike quite a few other games that people seem to want remasters of, my example being Final Fantasy XII which is still only on the PS2 after nearly ten years.
But unluckily for people like me, playing it on a PC is neither an option, nor a desire. I don't think there can be denying the demand for the remasters are there, but there's no need for someone like to be ranting and campaigning for a remaster of these games every year. BC isn't an option for me either coz I got a Ps4.

I'm with Johnny. If they don't announce it this E3, then we should just forget about it.

diaspora

jin_kazama_200x200___gif_by_robbiebr-d6tx4j7.gif

But unluckily for people like me, playing it on a PC is neither an option, nor a desire. I don't think there can be denying the demand for the remasters are there, but there's no need for someone like to be ranting and campaigning for a remaster of these games every year. BC isn't an option for me either coz I got a Ps4.

I'm with Johnny. If they don't announce it this E3, then we should just forget about it.

PC is an option for you though, it's just not an option you're willing to take. Like PS4 players thirsty for Bayonetta 2.

Garlador

PC is an option for you though, it's just not an option you're willing to take. Like PS4 players thirsty for Bayonetta 2.

Unless you're willing to gift me several hundred extra dollars, no it's not really an option. I don't have the funds for that sort of upgrade, plus rebuying three games, plus rebuying hundreds of dollars of DLC, plus dedicated the time to tracking down the right mods, learning the ins and outs of modding, and doing a bunch of grunt work myself to bring it up to acceptable modern standards.

It's an "option" as much as me winning Mister Olympian, joining NASA to go to the moon, or creating my own company to remake it from the ground up myself. Is it an option? Sure. Is it a VIABLE option? Hell no.

You say "you're just not willing" to take that option, but it's an admittedly ridiculous option to will yourself to take. It's a massive, gargantuan time and money sink for a player, especially at the behest of one single franchise, and it's one that requires a majority of people to make enormous financial sacrifices for... and most will agree, it's just not worth it.

Hence the request for an AFFORDABLE re-release of the trilogy with all content. That's a sane request, and it's one countless companies (EVEN EA!) have done with other games. It's a request with countless, proven examples out in the wild to draw comparisons and numbers from. It makes more sense, it's more consumer friendly and wallet-pleasing, it's more accessible, more viable, and it's simply more sensible.

And that's nothing like Bayonetta 2. That was a dead, cult franchise with a fraction of the sales of Mass Effect that nobody was willing to touch except Nintendo and they brought it back knowing it would only please a very small niche of players, but did so anyway because they felt the brand was valuable. The game wouldn't even exist without a console-exclusivity partnership with Nintendo.

EA doesn't even consider Mass Effect "valuable" enough to do this, and you know full-well even a straight port of the game with all DLC would likely sell more than Bayonetta 2 did.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Unless you're willing to gift me several hundred extra dollars, no it's not really an option. I don't have the funds for that sort of upgrade, plus rebuying three games, plus rebuying hundreds of dollars of DLC, plus dedicated the time to tracking down the right mods, learning the ins and outs of modding, and doing a bunch of grunt work myself to bring it up to acceptable modern standards.

It's an "option" as much as me winning Mister Olympian, joining NASA to go to the moon, or creating my own company to remake it from the ground up myself. Is it an option? Sure. Is it a VIABLE option? Hell no.

You say "you're just not willing" to take that option, but it's an admittedly ridiculous option to will yourself to take. It's a massive, gargantuan time and money sink for a player, especially at the behest of one single franchise, and it's one that requires a majority of people to make enormous financial sacrifices for... and most will agree, it's just not worth it.

Hence the request for an AFFORDABLE re-release of the trilogy with all content. That's a sane request, and it's one countless companies (EVEN EA!) have done with other games. It's a request with countless, proven examples out in the wild to draw comparisons and numbers from. It makes more sense, it's more consumer friendly and wallet-pleasing, it's more accessible, more viable, and it's simply more sensible.

And that's nothing like Bayonetta 2. That was a dead, cult franchise with a fraction of the sales of Mass Effect that nobody was willing to touch except Nintendo and they brought it back knowing it would only please a very small niche of players, but did so anyway because they felt the brand was valuable. The game wouldn't even exist without a console-exclusivity partnership with Nintendo.

EA doesn't even consider Mass Effect "valuable" enough to do this, and you know full-well even a straight port of the game with all DLC would likely sell more than Bayonetta 2 did.
As I said on the previous page, why not start a twitter hashtag campaign or something like that? Let us the gamers tell EA that we want it. It may work or may not, but it's something far better than arguing here about it.

Shinobi would certainly help. Mentioning it on the Bioware forums, it could pick up steam sort of like the #PS4NODRM campaign.

Garlador

As I said on the previous page, why not start a twitter hashtag campaign or something like that? Let us the gamers tell EA that we want it. It may work or may not, but it's something far better than arguing here about it.

Shinobi would certainly help. Mentioning it on the Bioware forums, it could pick up steam sort of like the #PS4NODRM campaign.

I'm willing to try it, for sure, but I'm not very good at getting "movements" started (though I somehow did get a few Capcom lawyers a bit scared after some calls about some "false advertising" related to Street Fighter x Tekken that I was proud of).

Heck, I'll put my actions and money where my mouth is. I don't know how easy it is to get stuff trending or kickstarted (I don't even have Twitter...), but a Mass Effect Trilogy re-release is definitely something I've got enough passion behind to support.

I've even thought of putting some of my video editing skills to work and making a mock-trailer for a re-release of the series to drum up interest.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm willing to try it, for sure, but I'm not very good at getting "movements" started (though I somehow did get a few Capcom lawyers a bit scared after some calls about some "false advertising" related to Street Fighter x Tekken that I was proud of).

Heck, I'll put my actions and money where my mouth is. I don't know how easy it is to get stuff trending or kickstarted (I don't even have Twitter...), but a Mass Effect Trilogy re-release is definitely something I've got enough passion behind to support.

I've even thought of putting some of my video editing skills to work and making a mock-trailer for a re-release of the series to drum up interest.

No need to do anything like that. Just start a twitter handle and drum support on GAF, the Bioware forums. As I said, I know Shinobi would help as he has a lot of followers.

Who knows? It could pick up steam and mainsteam gaming sites could comment on it.

diaspora

You chose a platform costing hundreds of dollars that requires a sub to be played online that ended up not getting a port of a game you wanted- a PC that could have played the trilogy was always a viable option and you made your bed; just like how I have to own both a PS4 and a Wii U to be able to play games I want on both platforms. I wanted Bayo 2 and other games I couldn't have gotten on the platforms I owned at the time, so I bought those platforms rather than demanding a company port games on an engine they don't use anymore to make a pittance.

Garlador

You chose a platform costing hundreds of dollars that requires a sub to be played online that ended up not getting a port of a game you wanted- a PC that could have played the trilogy was always a viable option and you made your bed; just like how I have to own both a PS4 and a Wii U to be able to play games I want on both platforms. I wanted Bayo 2 and other games I couldn't have gotten on the platforms I owned at the time, so I bought those platforms rather than demanding a company port games on an engine they don't use anymore to make a pittance.

Er, I don't care about just myself, you know.

Mass Effect as a franchise is worth keeping around on modern hardware because it's a great series, for starters, and it'd be a great introduction for new players and lapsed players.

Similarly, even if someone wanted to invest in the series on PC RIGHT NOW, it's still a staggering amount of money since the DLC rarely goes on sale and when it does it's still not by any sizable percentage. So even IF you have a gamer rig ready for the series, it's a substantial amount of money to buy all three games and the dozens of story-important DLC that remains at premium prices.

And what does Xbox Live or PSN have to do with Mass Effect's story? I never paid for Xbox Live or PSN and played the story from start to finish. Turns out, it's story stuff is offline. Go figure.

And I get a sneaking suspicion Mass Effect, as popular and big as the series is, would make more than a "pittance". You make it sound like it would sell a few hundred or thousand units, rather than easily clear over a million or more like we all know it would.

So, REGARDLESS of platform, whether you "bet on the wrong horse" with PS4 or Xbox One, or you spend a gazillion dollars on a super computer from the future created by mystic wizards out of unobtainium, a re-release of the series, in one complete, affordable package, is STILL something that many ask for, would appreciate, would buy, and would play.

Some of us ARE frugal and have limited funds, you know. Hell, I got my PS4 used, refurbished, marked down, and I cashed in $100 worth of Bing reward coupons to knock the price off.

Squire

Banned
"The demand is there! Can't you see it?!"

"Start a Twitter campaign! Drum up support!"

This isn't like the DRM thing where consumers should be informed about a policy that might affect how they play their games. Mass Effect is popular; it's sold and reviewed really well throughout its existence thus far. If there's real demand for a remaster, a Twitter campaign isn't needed.

No diaspora, as I explained here and many other times in this thread, it isn't an option. Making close minded assumptions isn't a good habit.

You really don't seem to grasp the point that's been made and repeatedly rephrased to boot.

diaspora

No diaspora, as I explained here and many other times in this thread, it isn't an option. Making close minded assumptions isn't a good habit.

I made my statement with your post in mind, you can play the PC versions if you want, you could easily get enough money selling PS4 gear. If you don't want to do it, that's fine but don't pretend it's nigh impossible.

Garlador

"The demand is there! Can't you see it?!"

"Start a Twitter campaign! Drum up support!"

This isn't like the DRM thing where consumers should be informed about a policy that might affect how they play their games. Mass Effect is popular; it's sold and reviewed really well throughout its existence thus far. If there's real demand for a remaster, a Twitter campaign isn't needed.

It doesn't matter, because it's not just Mass Effect. Peter Moore said the entire EA business model is that they just "don't do remakes or remasters", no matter how much demand there is. He said he thinks doing them is beneath them and that it means they've "run out of ideas".

That's his excuse for not doing them. I mean, by acknowledging the question in the first place, he has to admit that there IS demand, and he has to counter that demand and say that, sorry, they hear you, but they don't do remakes or remasters.

It's not about demand at this point; it's about changing a corporate mindset about remasters and remakes in general.

I made my statement with your post in mind, you can play the PC versions if you want, you could easily get enough money selling PS4 gear. If you don't want to do it, that's fine but don't pretend it's nigh impossible.
Possible? Yes.

Viable? Not one bit.

Sensible? Not even close.

Arguing to the contrary reeks of PC elitism. And, even with a super computer of my own, it's STILL hundreds of dollars to get the "complete" Mass Effect experience, so that STILL sucks even if you have the right rig for it.

You really don't seem to grasp the point that's been made and repeatedly rephrased to boot.
Trust me, I do, I just don't share the mindset that you guys have.
Why the fuck would I do that? Who in the right mind would think doing such a thing is rational in this scenario?

goishen

Look, the ME remaster isn't coming for several reasons. But most of all, because people can still play it. You can build a PC and install and play it at the highest of resolutions. I'm not sure what they go up to, but mine plays on 1920 x 1080, just fine.

You'll prolly argue that you don't have the money to, or that you don't have inkling to even want to. I fail to see how any of that is EA's problem.

This isn't like the original 1992 game XCom, where you'd need DOSBox and a wish and a prayer to even get the thing running at halfway decent speeds and at 640 x 480 graphics ( at least on PC). Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean that the option isn't there. It's just how big is your wallet.

I mean, I've already decided that the newest Trilogy release isn't for me because I'd have to buy all the DLC again. Just to have the entire trilogy under one roof, Origin? No.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Instead of arguing just start the twitter campaign. That is the beauty of todays world, it's relatively easy to send a message to people.

Do it respectfully.

Something simple like:

"@bioware @PetermooreEA @EA @masseffect We are interested in a complete package of the Mass Effect trilogy for PS4 and Xbox One with all DLC and 1080p and 60fps. #MEforcurrentgen "

come up with a clever hashtag

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Look, the ME remaster isn't coming for several reasons. But most of all, because people can still play it. You can build a PC and install and play it at the highest of resolutions. I'm not sure what they go up to, but mine plays on 1920 x 1080, just fine.

You'll prolly argue that you don't have the money to, or that you don't have inkling to even want to. I fail to see how any of that is EA's problem.

If they want people to buy the game, its definitely EA's problem. EA, rightly or wrongly, has seemingly decided that a remaster is not a worthy investment. That's their right as a business. I (and many others) feel that this series deserves better.

Banned
If they want people to buy the game, its definitely EA's problem. EA, rightly or wrongly, has seemingly decided that a remaster is not a worthy investment. That's their right as a business. I (and many others) feel that this series deserves better.
I think if the trilogy connected to Andromeda in any way or had decisions carry over they'd remaster it in a heartbeat. But andromeda really is a fresh start.

Believe me, I have them all on PC and DLC but I hate using the mouse and keyboard. I want the trilogy remastered more than anybody for current gen platforms.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think if the trilogy connected to Andromeda in any way or had decisions carry over they'd remaster it in a heartbeat. But andromeda really is a fresh start.

Believe me, I have them all on PC and DLC but I hate using the mouse and keyboard. I want the trilogy remastered more than anybody for current gen platforms.

Thankfully there is an excellent mod for gamepad support.

Why it needed to be modded is beyond me.

diaspora

This isn't like the original 1992 game XCom, where you'd need DOSBox and a wish and a prayer to even get the thing running at halfway decent speeds and at 640 x 480 graphics ( at least on PC). Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean that the option isn't there. It's just how big is your wallet.

I mean, I've already decided that the newest Trilogy release isn't for me because I'd have to buy all the DLC again. Just to have the entire trilogy under one roof, Origin? No.

AFAIK you can use GEDOSATO to hit 4k+ resolutions on all the games with the first game having a 11GB+ sized texture overhaul.

Trust me, I do, I just don't share the mindset that you guys have.
Why the fuck would I do that? Who in the right mind would think doing such a thing is rational in this scenario?

Anyone who wants current gen games plus the ME Trilogy is full HD obviously.

Garlador

What about those that just want the whole series in a complete release for a price that doesn't require a second mortgage or selling various bodily fluids?

At this point, HD would simply be a bonus. There is no sane reason there isn't a version of the trilogy with all content included in one affordable bundle or re-release. That requires literally no extra work whatsoever, but EA hasn't even done that, and I honestly don't know why.

Surely, sales of "Pinnacle Station" or "Arrival" aren't that good half-a-decade later that they warrant keeping them at premium prices, separate from the core game...

Obviously what? Do you think I bought my goddamn Ps4 just to burn $400? I have over 10 games for it already and over 10 games this year alone I am looking forward to learning more about and potentially getting. Why in the fuck and who the fuck in the right mind would try to get rid of all of that to begin investing in a PC just for three games that they wouldn't get the full value out of (because of the fucking separated dlc shenanigans)?

What you said is totally irrational and illogical.

goishen

Look, you don't want to, that I completely get. You don't have the inkling for it. That I completely get. But don't sit here and whine and moan because things aren't going your way.

Like I said, this isn't XCOM of 1992, whereby you needed a wish and prayer and some script leaked by hacker that you found on some website out in the middle of nowhere just to get the game to run at 640 x 480.

It will run, it just won't run on what you want it to run on.

Garlador

Look, you don't want to, that I completely get. You don't have the inkling for it. That I completely get. But don't sit here and whine and moan because things aren't going your way.

Like I said, this isn't XCOM of 1992, whereby you needed a wish and prayer and some script leaked by hacker that you found on some website out in the middle of nowhere just to get the game to run at 640 x 480.

Funny you mention XCOM, because I remember a certain FPS XCOM game being announced and 2K claiming that turn-based strategy games simply weren't marketable or financially successful, but FPS was where the money was at.

Fans HOWLED. Fans complained. Fans petitioned. Fans "whined and moaned" about things "not going their way".
tumblr_m4uyevImMo1rpn610o1_400.gif

Eventually, 2K saw the demand and decided to have their cake and eat it too; they'd release BOTH types of games to the public - a FPS one and a turn-based strategy game.

Guess which one got all the praise and all the sales:

We're the customers. We're the gamers. If a company isn't giving us what we want, we have every right to ask for it. We have every right to petition, to "whine and complain", because sometimes, on rare blue moons, a company will listen.

XCOM is hardly unique in that regard either.

XCOM: EU was in the works for a while before the FPS got announced. They were parallel projects. All the shitstorm ended up doing was getting the devs to abandon their original vision and try to incorporate more tactical elements, which resulted in The Bureau.

I'd call that a backfire.

As I said on the last page, if we get it we get it if we don't we don't. I don't get your point. But the argument of there not being a demand for it is not something I can concur.
Yeah but a PC won't play Uc4 or Persona 5 or Digimon Cyber Sleuth or - I don't need to explain myself to you. I bought a Ps4 and I enjoy it without regrets. I can live without a ME trilogy remaster, just as I can live without video games overall; however, as long as I, a fan, can show my desire for a remaster, I will. And again, like someone else said, if by E3 they're still saying no, then I'll just forget about it.

EDIT: not sure if your post was directed at me

diaspora

As I said on the last page, if we get it we get it if we don't we don't. I don't get your point. But the argument of there not being a demand for it is not something I can concur.Yeah but a PC won't play Uc4 or Persona 5 or Digimon Cyber Sleuth or - I don't need to explain myself to you. I bought a Ps4 and I enjoy it without regrets. I can live without a ME trilogy remaster, just as I can live without video games overall; however, as long as I, a fan, can show my desire for a remaster, I will. And again, like someone else said, if by E3 they're still saying no, then I'll just forget about it.

EDIT: not sure if your post was directed at me

Yeah, but a PS4 won't play ME1-3 in HD or otherwise, or... most games in general. You knew that, and you made your choice.

Yeah, but a PS4 won't play ME1-3 in HD or otherwise, or... most games in general. You knew that, and you made your choice.
You think I knew the uncharted games would be remastered back in 2013 too? What the fuck are you trying to say?

I made a console investment to play video games, not an investment to play JUST mass effect. jesus

diaspora

You think I knew the uncharted games would be remastered back in 2013 too? What the fuck are you trying to say?

I made a console investment to play video games, not an investment to play JUST mass effect. jesus

I'm saying that investing in platforms with games you want is more productive than bitching and begging for ports. Anyone who knew EA would know that ME was never coming.

I'm saying that investing in platforms with games you want is more productive than bitching and begging for ports. Anyone who knew EA would know that ME was never coming.
That's exactly what I did. I invested in a Ps4, which, as I explained to you, houses the games that I want. That's completely independent from showing an interest in a remaster of previous gen games, of which this generation we have had several.

Ralemont

not me
Are we really arguing about a Remaster again? Can we talk about something that hasn't been beaten to death as much, like ME3's endings?

Mindlog

So much tension on this thread lately. The lack of ME:A news is getting on people's nerves. :p
We could relieve this tension with some fanart.
cHIHGfJ.gif

OK new topic. Let's summon the Infiltrator Scrubs!
What class did you use to complete your first Platinum Solo?
Pretty sure I used a, Turian Ghost.
I had no intention of doing a Platinum Solo as I didn't need it for Best of the Best which I also had no intention of doing.... Then I had so many credits saved up that the promoting became a non-issue. I've since completed runs with other OP characters like the Drell Adept.

If you haven't soloed Platinum you have to stop posting. Sorry, those are the rules :(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We could relieve this tension with some fanart.
cHIHGfJ.gif

OK new topic. Let's summon the Infiltrator Scrubs!
What class did you use to complete your first Platinum Solo?
Pretty sure I used a, Turian Ghost.
I had no intention of doing a Platinum Solo as I didn't need it for Best of the Best which I also had no intention of doing.... Then I had so many credits saved up that the promoting became a non-issue. I've since completed runs with other OP characters like the Drell Adept.

If you haven't soloed Platinum you have to stop posting. Sorry, those are the rules :(

Oh please, no fanart. Especially if it includes mordibly obese Tali in diapers or whatever creepy thing inspired by Sonic fanarts.

I think my first Platinum solo was with Krogan Vanguard against Geths. Easy enough with the shield recharges and huge health pool.

Garlador

Anyone who knew EA would know that ME was never coming.

How are EA at parties these days? EA and I used to be close. I KNEW them, man.

I invited them to a few parties over the past few years, but they kept getting drunk, making inappropriate advances on some of the ladies, kept giving me dating advice about how I needed to "sin to win", then hijacked my refrigerator and tried to charge me 50 cents every time I wanted a beer.

Then they invited some college fratboys over, who weren't on the guest list and nobody wanted them, told me everything was better with more people, then just kept flushing my toilet non-stop saying it needed to "always be flushing" (my toilet stopped working).

I took EA out back behind the house. I knew we needed to talk. "EA, you've changed, buddy. You used to be, you know... cool."

"I am cool!" he barked back. "You just don't get it! This is the new me!"

"But I liked the OLD you," I told him. "I miss the old you. Can't the old you come back?"

"Sorry," he told me. "I don't do remasters."

Well, it still is the "best" deal you can get, since it does come with far more DLC than the OTHER versions of the ME Trilogy (the 360 version came with practically nothing).
True, so it is a good deal overall perhaps but still considering the fact that there's so much dlc that's pretty vital, eh.

Garlador

cheer up. the dlc goes on sale every 15 months or so

We have lunar and solar eclipses more often than that...

I honestly don't know why they haven't just done a permanent price drop on them. Forget going "on sale". Just lower the price.

Are there really enough people out there willing to pay a premium for "Omega"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom