• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

bioshock and arkham ran on unreal 3?

Reading up, Bioshock apparently ran on a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5.

Arkham was on UE3.

That's not really surprising. I feel like 80 percent of last gen ran on UE. That's a large reason why all these companies went out to make their own engines. They realized how lucrative the business was, and they got sick of giving Epic a cut of their own games.

DOWN

Banned
\Clearly the unreal licenses after holiday g those back....

This is not a functioning sentence.

Arkham was on UE3.

That's not really surprising. I feel like 80 percent of last gen ran on UE. That's a large reason why all these companies went out to make their own engines. They realized how lucrative the business was, and they got sick of sending money to Epic for their games.
Infinite was Unreal 3.

diaspora

You know it's funny,

Both Bioshock and now (most of)the Batman Arkham series are coming to current generation systems. Clearly the unreal licenses after holiday g those back....

You're move EA...
WB still uses the UE license for AK, and 2k uses 3rd party engines regularly. EA's move is still to laugh at the suggestion of sending Epic more money.

Arkham was on UE3.

That's not really surprising. I feel like 80 percent of last gen ran on UE. That's a large reason why all these companies went out to make their own engines. They realized how lucrative the business was, and they got sick of giving Epic a cut of their own games.
well this debunks the excuse of not making a remastered trilogy because of the engine then.

Patryn

well this debunks the excuse of not making a remastered trilogy because of the engine then.

How so?

I really, really, REALLY do not want to open up this can of worms, but the engine excuse was never about technical reasons (because of course UE3 would run on the new consoles, they're basically PCs and UE3 has run on PCs for years... seriously who ever contested that it wouldn't work for technical reasons?) and always about EA not wanting to deal with the licensing/money issues that come with using it.

How so?

I really, really, REALLY do not want to open up this can of worms, but the engine excuse was never about technical reasons (because of course UE3 would run on the new consoles, they're basically PCs and UE3 has run on PCs for years... seriously who ever contested that it wouldn't work for technical reasons?) and always about EA not wanting to deal with the licensing/money issues that come with using it.
isn't it the same thing as WB and 2K doing it though?

Patryn

isn't it the same thing as WB and 2K doing it though?

Just because WB and 2K are willing to accept the licensing deal and give Epic money for their remasters does not mean that EA is willing to. There's no correlation between the two things at all.

That's equivalent to saying that my company is offering unlimited vacation time to employees so of course your company would be willing to as well.

Or, to put it in financial terms: It's like saying that I donate X percent of my paycheck to a charity, so clearly you're also going to donate the same percent of your paycheck to the same charity. After all, we're both people, right?

Garlador

To me it reeks of EA having the mindset of "if we can't have ALL the money, we want NONE of it", because we all know that a remastered Mass Effect Trilogy would sell a few additional million copies or so (far less popular remasters soared past that mark with ease).

So they'd rather get no profit at all than give Epic a percentage.

And the fans and players lose out.

Patryn

To me it reeks of EA having the mindset of "if we can't have ALL the money, we want NONE of it", because we all know that a remastered Mass Effect Trilogy would sell a few additional million copies or so (far less popular remasters soared past that mark with ease).

So they'd rather get no profit at all than give Epic a percentage.

And the fans and players lose out.

I still think it's less that than the opportunity cost. They did some counting and figured that if they deployed resources to making a remaster they'd reap $X, while if they deployed those same resources to something else they'd reap $Y, where Y > X.

The licensing thing just works to make X a slightly smaller number than it would be otherwise, which could possibly tip the balance.

Just because WB and 2K are willing to accept the licensing deal and give Epic money for their remasters does not mean that EA is willing to. There's no correlation between the two things at all.

That's equivalent to saying that my company is offering unlimited vacation time to employees so of course your company would be willing to as well.

Or, to put it in financial terms: It's like saying that I donate X percent of my paycheck to a charity, so clearly you're also going to donate the same percent of your paycheck to the same charity. After all, we're both people, right?
both of us are people yeah but neither of us work for a video game publisher (well, I know I don't). i'm not saying they should do it because other pubs are doing it, i'm saying...it just makes it more evident that they should since WB and 2K think it is a good idea (as in profitable)

diaspora

both of us are people yeah but neither of us work for a video game publisher (well, I know I don't). i'm not saying they should do it because other pubs are doing it, i'm saying...it just makes it more evident that they should since WB and 2K think it is a good idea (as in profitable)

It doesn't say that at all. Not when as he said, EA can easily weigh the returns on a re-release versus putting the exact same investment into something else and getting a better return.

Patryn

But that doesn't make any sense. Just because one publisher finds it profitable enough does not mean another publisher will. The companies have entirely different corporate goals, management, shareholders, future outlook, back catalogs, release strategies, resources, etc.

To go back to my vacation example: Just because one company thinks unlimited vacation is a great idea doesn't mean every company will.

There is absolutely no correlation between the business decisions of WB/2K and EA. None.

It doesn't say that at all. Not when as he said, EA can easily weigh the returns on a re-release versus putting the exact same investment into something else and getting a better return.
I get that man, it's just...they should change their minds
But that doesn't make any sense. Just because one publisher finds it profitable enough does not mean another publisher will. The companies have entirely different corporate goals, management, shareholders, future outlook, back catalogs, release strategies, resources, etc.

To go back to my vacation example: Just because one company thinks unlimited vacation is a great idea doesn't mean every company will.

There is absolutely no correlation between the business decisions of WB/2K and EA. None.
look man I'm not trying to say there's a correlation, i'm just saying ea should be a little more open minded about it. i wasn't trying to discredit the analogy you were making there.

This is all probably for the best. Hear me out.

A remaster would be really nice. We'd have a fancy new title screen that lets you launch each game from it, 1080p/60fps and all DLC included. However, a remaster would still be three separate games.

The fact that it's not happening, paired with the fact that the original trilogy is so beloved by fans, means that people are not going to stop asking for it. If enough time passes, and the demand is still there, it might be worth remaking the trilogy. A project like this could even be outsourced and released in between or after the new Andromeda games to keep hype alive.

Imagine next-gen graphics (but all the same voice acting), unified (ME3) gameplay and RPG systems and not having to re-customize Shepard at the beginning of each game. It would probably be Game of the Forever.

diaspora

I mean, I'd be down for a Frostbite remake of the Trilogy eventually. Right now I'm having enough fun playing around with freecam and DOF with depthbuffer shenanigans.

This is all probably for the best. Hear me out.

A remaster would be really nice. We'd have a fancy new title screen that lets you launch each game from it, 1080p/60fps and all DLC included. However, a remaster would still be three separate games.

The fact that it's not happening, paired with the fact that the original trilogy is so beloved by fans, means that people are not going to stop asking for it. If enough time passes, and the demand is still there, it might be worth remaking the trilogy. A project like this could even be outsourced and released in between or after the new Andromeda games to keep hype alive.

Imagine next-gen graphics (but all the same voice acting), unified (ME3) gameplay and RPG systems and not having to re-customize Shepard at the beginning of each game. It would probably be Game of the Forever.
I think Johnny mentioned this already but the fact that Me4 got delayed opens up a window for them to get that shit out this year. And as far as outsourcing goes, get the same guys that did gow and uncharted. they usually get good feedback from their remasters

diaspora

I think Johnny mentioned this already but the fact that Me4 got delayed opens up a window for them to get that shit out this year. And as far as outsourcing goes, get the same guys that did gow and uncharted. they usually get good feedback from their remasters

Remake, not remaster. Remaking the trilogy would absolutely not happen this year if at all.

You're missing my point that not getting a remaster might actually be a good thing, and open the door for a full remake in a few years' time.

Remake, not remaster. Remaking the trilogy would absolutely not happen this year if at all.
na I think Johnny was talking about a remaster. I thought you & Lamonster were the only ones talking about a remake?
You're missing my point that not getting a remaster might actually be a good thing, and open the door for a full remake in a few years' time.
i'm good with a remaster bro. remakes are very far & in between ain't they?

diaspora

The best thing about the Reapers imo has always been the Derelict Reaper in ME2. Giger styled artistically while Lovevraftian atmospherically/thematically with the worker logs.

masseffect22016-04-24rvrxy.png

Missing out on Citadel is a major loss breh
I know what I'm missing out on, bruh. lol in fact I think I've had this discussion with another set of gaffers earlier on in this thread where I said I'd get it if and only iffffff this goddamn shit gets remastered.

I don't wanna spend money on my Ps3 anymore.

Lucreto

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-4d-theme-park-ride-coming-in-may/1100-6439282/

Mass Effect: New Earth is described as a "4D holographic journey" in which "anyone can be an explorer." The ride features the world's largest LED screen and was produced in partnership with Electronic Arts and Mass Effect developer BioWare.

https://youtu.be/pv69fkraIl8

A seriously big waste of money in my opinion. They could Remaster the series and include a video doing the same thing to bridge the gap between ME3 and Andromeda after playing all 3 games.

DOWN

Banned
A seriously big waste of money in my opinion. They could Remaster the series and include a video doing the same thing to bridge the gap between ME3 and Andromeda after playing all 3 games.
Well it's unlikely EA is investing a dime in the ride themselves.

That said, I laughed hard at the no name park and this random ass decision to make a ride and it's setting a record for its LED screen lol.

They sure as hell better release that video with Andromeda

Well it's unlikely EA is investing a dime in the ride themselves.

That said, I laughed hard at the no name park and this random ass decision to make a ride and it's setting a record for its LED screen lol.

They sure as hell better release that video with Andromeda
speaking of andromeda, was that thread with the leaked video deleted?

Bombless

i remember garrus mentioning that in Me2. it sounded like he was trying to flirt with tali.
- You ever miss those elevator rides? We used to have such great conversations!
- No.
- Come on, tell us about your pilgrimage or life aboard the flotila.
- I have a shotgun.
- Err maybe another time.

It was hilarious.

In othernews, the continued lack of official Andromeda informations/material is driving me crazy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Tom Cruise as the commander
Robert Downey Jr. as the pilot
Megan Fox as the Asari teammate
Chris Pratt as the Turian teammate
Daisy Ridley as the Quarian teammate
Hulk Hogan as the Krogan teammate
Vin Diesel as the human teammate
Hillary Clinton as the ship AI
Donald Trump as the main villain

man at first i thought you were serious but then continuing to read down the list...lol

diaspora

It's the Krogan way, brother.

DOWN