• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanuilos

Certainly, we don't know that for sure so we're all just guessing. Gotta do something while we wait for monday.

True, the problem is when the guesses become expectations. I'm not saying that this is what you specifically are doing, but it seems to be an issue with gamers in general. The guesses can quickly become how a game is perceived and what the game actually is doesn't get a fair shake. Often times it feels like developers and publishers purposefully encourage this to get folks to buy the game at launch or preorder. I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to guess at things, but we should keep the guesses in check somewhat.

diaspora

What do we expect to find under the ocean that our satellites haven't found though?

This whole, go to the next galaxy trip sounds a bit forced.
How do you convince an industry to fund this sort of thing, what could shareholders possibly gain out of this?
Mass Effect: Musk

People keep assuming this simply because of the first trilogy, but there is no basis. Bioware has said nothing about it being a trilogy.

I've said this several times but my guess is that Mass Effect will be moving to a Dragon Age model where the games are connected, but are not part of a duology, trilogy, quadrilogy or any other -logy you can think of.
eh it'd be a bit disheartening if I get attached to the characters in a certain installment. GTA does the same thing for the most part too.

DevilDog

eh it'd be a bit disheartening if I get attached to the characters in a certain installment. GTA does the same thing for the most part too.

One of the biggest part of these games is how real the consequences feel, since saves can be transfered across games. They wouldn't get rid of that.

Right?

I thought for sure it would be a reaper response thing but now it feels like something that takes place a hundred years after the end of ME3 or something like that. How did the council get all this super tech necessary to go FTL through to a whole other galaxy, with multiple ships and every species under the sun, and the largest spacecraft ever built, but do it on the down-low between ME1 and ME2? Seems like a major reach.

Where do you think the pieces of Sovereign went?

I'm guessing the Ark ships were built out of Sovereign tech... So... I also expect at least one of the ships arrived in Andromeda full of indoctrinated people.

I also think the Volus on the Citadel in 3 who knew about the Crucible project may have been a member of the Andromeda Initiative who was trying to subtly share tech without disclosing classified information.

But then, I enjoy reading too much into the story. My headcanon rocks.

Sou Da

One of the biggest part of these games is how real the consequences feel, since saves can be transfered across games. They wouldn't get rid of that.

Right?

Let me let you in on a secret. Save imports always have to be marginalized in some way, even The Witcher does this.

Which is why DA's structure works a lot better.
And why DA2 sized plots should be the standard instead of DA:I's.

Right?
if what patryn is saying is accurate they'll do the same shit that they do go from da game to da game. i only played inquisition so i don't really know how it goes.
Sure there is, we want to know what's over there. The fact that we don't yet know what's over here is immaterial.
i agree with the dog. keeping shit in the milky way made it feel realistic (even though obviously it's fiction) but we don't know what they plan on doing with andromeda.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm firmly in the camp of believing however they market this, and whatever their intentions, it will be a careful response to the strengths and weaknesses of everything surrounding the original trilogy.

The Andromeda Initiative will take place during the Shepard trilogy, and the excuse will be semi flimsy. Maybe it all happened between ME1 and ME2. As unnecessary as leaving the Milky Way is when you consider the breadth of so much undiscovered, they'll cook up some excuse (or not) and that'll be that. At worst it's just a mission to a new galaxy because why not. And Shepard not hearing about it isn't a big problem since she/he had no direct involvement in the project.

I don't see why they wouldn't intend for more Andromeda games. This takes place in the Helios Cluster apparently. Character import and a running narrative is a cornerstone of the trilogy's identity. But I think BioWare will be careful to talk about sequels/successors until the time comes. Instead of marketing it as a trilogy, like Mass Effect was, they'll go with it being the beginning of a new adventure and talk about its future post release.

Ultimately it just all feels like a soft reboot so I figure they'll discard as much baggage, canon and marketing, as possible. No Reaper tech. No promised trilogy. No holdovers.

Patryn

Right?

I suspect that they'll do save importing going forward, with a solution that will probably look a lot like the Dragon Age Keep, i.e. you no longer directly import saves, but rather it'll utilize a web site so allow for players to change platforms between games, and they can control exactly how the data gets passed between games.

But thus far all we know is that they are not doing any form of save importing into Andromeda. So everyone will start at the same place.

if what patryn is saying is accurate they'll do the same shit that they do go from da game to da game. i only played inquisition so i don't really know how it goes.

Let me emphasize that this is only a theory of mine. I have no official - or unofficial - sources backing me up, beyond the fact that Bioware has said nothing about Andromeda's place amongst future games.

Let me emphasize that this is only a theory of mine. I have no official - or unofficial - sources backing me up, beyond the fact that Bioware has said nothing about Andromeda's place amongst future games.

well what you do have going for you is the fact that Me4 has nothing to do with the original trilogy other than being in the same fictional universe. so let's face it, you're probably right.

Ridesh

Banned
TUsy4Mv.png

tumblr_mduzqfmaok1r7guhqo1_500.gif

DOWN

Banned
Honestly I can't imagine they are going to sell a Mass Effect game that gives up the ridiculously successful save transfer hook. Of course Andromeda is going to leave you needing to buy Andromeda Part II and Part III to finish your save and story. Why let you feel detached after one purchase?

And besides the logical business mentioned above, it's just plain cool and fun to make a customizable story span three evolving games in a great setting. Did anyone even do save transfers before Mass Effect? The mainstream market sure didn't care before Mass Effect.

The Andromeda Initiative will take place during the Shepard trilogy, and the excuse will be semi flimsy. Maybe it all happened between ME1 and ME2. As unnecessary as leaving the Milky Way is when you consider the breadth of so much undiscovered, they'll cook up some excuse (or not) and that'll be that. At worst it's just a mission to a new galaxy because why not. And Shepard not hearing about it isn't a big problem since she/he had no direct involvement in the project.

It'd be very flimsy because of the sheer scale of the project. Those arcs are positively enormous, using some form of novel propulsion to get them to another galaxy. And every species has one apparently.

I don't know why this stuff still bothers me given that even ME1-3 canon doesn't mesh up properly sometimes.

DevilDog

Discover a new galaxy, when you haven't even discovered yours.
No. Bad Mass Effect.

Sure there is, we want to know what's over there. The fact that we don't yet know what's over here is immaterial.
How are you going to convince shareholders to pour trillions into that expedition? How are you going to convince them that this is a good investement that will return profit?
Be real here, there is no real reason to go, other than to get away from the writing of the first trilogy.

Let me let you in on a secret. Save imports always have to be marginalized in some way, even The Witcher does this.

Which is why DA's structure works a lot better.
And why DA2 sized plots should be the standard instead of DA:I's.
Do you know how powerful it is, than if a character dies in 1 , you can't talk to them in 2 or 3?
It's great and it emphasizes weight of choice.

Plus the Salarian-Krogan saga was done extremely well. I have hope.

Patryn

Honestly I can't imagine they are going to sell a Mass Effect game that gives up the ridiculously successful save transfer hook. Of course Andromeda is going to leave you needing to buy Andromeda Part II and Part III to finish your save and story. Why let you feel detached after one purchase?

And besides the logical business mentioned above, it's just plain cool and fun to make a customizable story span three evolving games in a great setting. Did anyone even do save transfers before Mass Effect? The mainstream market sure didn't care before Mass Effect.
My theory doesn't involve eliminating loading data. Dragon Age does data loading, after all.

I'm simply saying it won't be a trilogy. Plot lines and decisions will continue from game to game, but it won't necessarily be an overarching plot line over three games that resolves at the end of the third game.

It'd be very flimsy because of the sheer scale of the project. Those arcs are positively enormous, using some form of novel propulsion to get them to another galaxy. And every species has one apparently.

I don't know why this stuff still bothers me given that even ME1-3 canon doesn't mesh up properly sometimes.

I don't think it'd have to be a novel new form of transportation, just really large fuel tanks, or a Bussard scoop or something. Hell, maybe not even that; they can just get up to speed, then coast most of the way in sublight, as long as they've got enough power to keep the cryo units online. No need to rush.

As to the excuse, I really think y'all are overthinking it. Yes, they don't know everything (hell, much of everything) about the Milky Way, but like opponents of space exploration sometimes like to point out, we've hardly explored our oceans and we're already planning a trip to Mars. All they'd really have to do is loop a couple of funding partners in on the "Reapers might eat the galaxy" secret and boom, one shiny new set of Arks.

DevilDog

I don't think it'd have to be a novel new form of transportation, just really large fuel tanks, or a Bussard scoop or something. Hell, maybe not even that; they can just get up to speed, then coast most of the way in sublight, as long as they've got enough power to keep the cryo units online. No need to rush.

As to the excuse, I really think y'all are overthinking it. Yes, they don't know everything (hell, much of everything) about the Milky Way, but like opponents of space exploration sometimes like to point out, we've hardly explored our oceans and we're already planning a trip to Mars. All they'd really have to do is loop a couple of funding partners in on the "Reapers might eat the galaxy" secret and boom, one shiny new set of Arks.
That sounds so forced that we could use it as a propulsion system for the Arks.

That sounds so forced that we could use it as a propulsion system for the Arks.

What's forced about it? The ark(s) are a joint effort from all races. Humanity might not have discovered all of the galaxy they currently live in, but jointly with all other races, they might as well have. As such, the more logical choice would be to seed anther galaxy while they propagate further throughout their own.

And that logic holds without the Reaper's looming threat. If the decision was made after the Reapers were discovered, then it would make even more sense to ensure our existence by sending probes into another galaxy, seeing as how the Reaper are a galaxy-wide threat.

Ridesh

Banned
What's forced about it? The ark(s) are a joint effort from all races. Humanity might not have discovered all of the galaxy they currently live in, but jointly with all other races, they might as well have. As such, the more logical choice would be to seed anther galaxy while they propagate further throughout their own.

And that logic holds without the Reaper's looming threat. If the decision was made after the Reapers were discovered, then it would make even more sense to ensure our existence by sending probes into another galaxy, seeing as how the Reaper are a galaxy-wide threat.

Yep, I think they're both

The ark is clearly made by reverse engineering the citadel technology, I mean, look at the 'limbs', it's quite similar to the citadel/reapers.

It's probably a project from before ME1, but accelerated by the sovereign incident, and launched between ME2/ME3.

DevilDog

What's forced about it? The ark(s) are a joint effort from all races.
A joint effort from all races is unrealistic already. You mean to tell me that a salarian would be cool with sending some krogan in, to give birth to 1000 babies at once. etc

Humanity might not have discovered all of the galaxy they currently live in, but jointly with all other races, they might as well have. As such, the more logical choice would be to seed anther galaxy while they propagate further throughout their own.
Is this why you believe this? You're wrong, even with the mass effect relays, council space exploration is literally under 1%
We don't even know how many more relays there are that are inactive and how many more races still haven't made contact. I mean, humans are really really fresh.

This holds some ground, but that would mean we would have to re-retcon the Mass Effect 2 council.

OR the arks are a means to catch the reapers by surprise when they hibernate in dark space.

Patryn

Kirahee supported the genophage?

And even still that a dangerous scenario.

Yeah, if you do the cure he sends you an e-mail telling you that he and others support you, and even if the Salarians' official policy is not to send help, they'd have your back when the time came.

Is this why you believe this? You're wrong, even with the mass effect relays, council space exploration is literally under 1%
We don't even know how many more relays there are that are inactive and how many more races still haven't made contact. I mean, humans are really really fresh.

I'm not sure why you're so obstinate about these reasons not being good enough to perfectly justify them launching a mission for another galaxy. It is completely possible for them to want to explore another galaxy while not having fully explored their own territory yet. Hell, they could even justify it due to the fact that they've all but mastered travel within their own galaxy. Or, you know, they could do both at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive.

Not to mention, the sheer amount of resources pooled by multiple governments of multiple space-faring species must be astronomical, pardon the pun. It'd be a large undertaking, but not so large for it to significantly interfere with any other undertakings, let alone the further propagation throughout the home galaxy, as is necessary.

diaspora

Yeah, if you do the cure he sends you an e-mail telling you that he and others support you, and even if the Salarians' official policy is not to send help, they'd have your back when the time came.
This. There's no timeline as to when STG first became pro-cure.

So at what time do you think the festivities will begin?

10 AM PST, 9 AM PST? No time was given, so I just don't know what time to wake up in case I miss the reveal...

It's hard to say, I don't know if the BioWare Mass Effect social media stuff is done in Edmonton or Montreal so I'd assume anywhere from 10 AM EST to 4 PM EST. Any earlier than that and everyone is either just waking up or heading to work.

Can't wait for the patented NeoGAF analysis and examination.

Yeul

I can't wait for it to be here so people can stop asking if they are going to show anything lmao. I'm so tired.

Ridesh

Banned
It's hard to say, I don't know if the BioWare Mass Effect social media stuff is done in Edmonton or Montreal so I'd assume anywhere from 10 AM EST to 4 PM EST. Any earlier than that and everyone is either just waking up or heading to work.

Can't wait for the patented NeoGAF analysis and examination.

Oh, the patented NeoGAF ridiculous nitpicking.

Lucreto

I was expecting more of an event with more hype behind it. I was expecting a live twitch / YouTube stream with a trailer, gameplay and interviews. Basically I was looking for a Fallout 4 announcement but from everything I have seen they will be dropping a trailer being dropped on a number of sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom