• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CwnUcB7WQAE7w-g.jpg:large

Hope it's not literally one day from now. Bad timing for us over here in sleepy old... Belgium.

I was expecting more of an event with more hype behind it. I was expecting a live twitch / YouTube stream with a trailer, gameplay and interviews. Basically I was looking for a Fallout 4 announcement but from everything I have seen they will be dropping a trailer being dropped on a number of sites.
You'll get the Game Informer issue full of details and screenshots, the trailer, the "Initiative" and other announcements.

This kicks off the marketing for the game until release early next year with stuff staggered out each month until then.

Lucreto

You'll get the Game Informer issue full of details and screenshots, the trailer, the "Initiative" and other announcements.

This kicks off the marketing for the game until release early next year with stuff staggered out each month until then.

Thanks for the info.

Just subscribed to Game Informer and lucky Mass Effect is the first game.

It looks like I will be on my tablet all evening.

Do we have a time when this will all kick off at?

Yeul

You know, and this is just a QoL thing, but I really hope they make it easier to recreate your character with the CC. Dragon Age has the Black Emporium, but even that doesn't allow you to start at the beginning with a look-alike from your last playthrough. I literally had to screenshot the sliders or just start from a post-intro save to play the same looking character again. It was kind of annoying though since if you wanted to change the gameplay mechanics (especially post-Trespasser with all of the new add-ons), you couldn't do it easily with the same character. In that sense I miss the Mass Effect face code system. If they could implement something like that again in this ME game (and then DA in the future) that would be nice.

Posted in the N7 Day thread but it'll probably get buried under all the talk.

Game Informer articles tells us that your sibling (Officially Scott or Sarah Ryder) doesn't actually die immediately and exists in the game with you at least partially. Whether that's as a squadmate or not I don't know. But I'm hoping they don't make us sacrifice them in the end or something.

EDIT #1: That big structure on the moon? It's actually Armstrong Outpost. I think if you read the description in ME1 it actually mentions this? We just never saw it.

EDIT #2: Not really crucial but Demeter is the first the human colony in the Milky Way, followed by Terra Nova and Eden Prime.

EDIT #3: The Ark is launched in 2185, so one year before the Reaper invasion. Privately funded by that lady in the Initiative video. She's the pathfinder for the other human Ark.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Posted in the N7 Day thread but it'll probably get buried under all the talk.

Game Informer articles tells us that your sibling (Officially Scott or Sarah Ryder) doesn't actually die immediately and exists in the game with you at least partially. Whether that's as a squadmate or not I don't know. But I'm hoping they don't make us sacrifice them in the end or something.

EDIT #1: That big structure on the moon? It's actually Armstrong Outpost. I think if you read the description in ME1 it actually mentions this? We just never saw it.

EDIT #2: Not really crucial but Demeter is the first the human colony in the Milky Way, followed by Terra Nova and Eden Prime.

EDIT #3: The Ark is launched in 2185, so one year before the Reaper invasion. Privately funded by that lady in the Initiative video. She's the pathfinder for the other human Ark.

All this is available on the website https://www.masseffect.com/andromeda-initiative (scroll down)

Patryn

I still want to know about gameplay, classes and progression.

And I hate to say it, but I am disappointed in today. I really expected gameplay.

At this rate, all I'm expecting for the Game Awards is maybe 20 seconds of gameplay and more CG trailer stuff.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Now this is how locations and enviroments in MEA should look like in terms of attention to detail imo:

But BioWare's level designers is just too fucking lazy to make something as cool as this. Frostbite in their hands is such peice of shit of an engine. I wish that DICE could make really cool enviroments for this game and to make their engine truly shine.

diaspora

I still want to know about gameplay, classes and progression.

And I hate to say it, but I am disappointed in today. I really expected gameplay.

At this rate, all I'm expecting for the Game Awards is maybe 20 seconds of gameplay and more CG trailer stuff.
I expected a release date.

Now this is how locations and enviroments in MEA should look like in terms of attention to detail imo:

But BioWare's level designers is just too fucking lazy to make something as cool as this. Frostbite in their hands is such peice of shit of an engine. I wish that DICE could make really cool enviroments for this game and to make their engine truly shine.

???

So we've seen little to nothing about the environments and how big they are (potentially more massive than ME1 planets) beyond a couple of trailer shots and in-game screenshots and your first instinct is to say BioWare can't/won't/hasn't done anything useful with the engine?

jmood88

What in the world are you talking about?

Well, I liked the trailer, but pushing the first gameplay reveal to TGA was a mistake, IMO. Should have had at least a little snippet.

This is a ridiculous post and you should feel ridiculous for making it. Expecting the same level of detail when the amount of content is many, many times greater is just dumb, especially if you're whipping out the "lazy devs" bullshit.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This is a ridiculous post and you should feel ridiculous for making it. Expecting the same level of detail when the amount of content is many, many times greater is just dumb, especially if you're whipping out the "lazy devs" bullshit.
Is it?

They did some cool stuff for DAI that's for sure, but so far in MEA I see only DAII stuff, which is empty and boring locations with zero attention to detail. What's this if not laziness of level designers?

I'll wait and see of course, but it's a really bad first impression. And the texture work is just not great at all, but I guess those screenshots was taken from console version, I mean I hope they are. I see almost zero power of DICE's Frostbite in MEA so far, if anything, MEA looks like UE3 (the latest version of it) game at best.

Is it?

They did some cool stuff for DAI that's for sure, but so far in MEA I see only DAII stuff, which is empty and boring locations with zero attention to detail. What's this if not laziness of level designers?

I'll wait and see of course, but it's a really bad first impression. And the texture work is just not great at all, but I guess those screenshots was taken from console version, I mean I hope they are. I see almost zero power of DICE's Frostbite in MEA so far, if anything, MEA looks like UE3 (the latest version of it) game at best.

Uhhhhh yes, it is.

The majority of DA:I locations out in the wilderness looked like the ME:A locations we've seen. Expecting things to look like BF1 is insane. Full stop.

prag16

Banned
I was certain this was coming in March. But having them just say "Spring", as was said above, does kind of seem like the door is being left open to move it to say May. (Though I thought Shinobi implicitly shut that down last week, strongly implying March is/was correct.)

So Jien Garson was/is the Andromeda Initiative founder. Are we to assume she's some kind of mega wealthy person to start such a project? Sounds like we'll meet her sometime during the game when the other massive ship she's on arrives.

Applied to the beta as well, here's hoping! Was interesting logging into N7HQ to check out my N7 rankings, used to be in there all the time. Turns out I got to N7 2020, my friends list has a 10770 on it lol

Gonna boot er up tonight in honour of N7 day and play a few matches. Lookin forward to it, been a long time.
Didn't apply for the beta, since I'm PC only now, but I was surprised to learn I was in the top 25% for ME3 MP.

The only thing I'm not liking so far news-wise is the combat changes. Obviously one has to play it to make a final judgement but I'm not entirely sure how the loss of pausetime is going to make combat management enjoyable.

The only thing I'm not liking so far news-wise is the combat changes. Obviously one has to play it to make a final judgement but I'm not entirely sure how the loss of pausetime is going to make combat management enjoyable.

I'm not 100% that's how the skill wheel comment is meant to be read. It might be, but this line a few down in Shinobi's synopsis seems like it contradicts that notion

-You still queue up attacks, combos, order your squad, etc

If there is no pause time how would that possibly work?

Shot the author of the supposed first Andromeda novel a tweet, and she blocked me :( Kinda rude, but I'm guessing she's getting a lot of those right now.

That being said, back to waiting for Bioware to gives us an update on that.

Patryn

Well, well. Maybe I spoke too soon. The GI info dump is nice.

However, I think this is where I duck out. Think I'm going to watch The Game Awards trailer and then go into information lockdown mode. So you guys have fun in this thread and I'll see ya'll on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom