• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Nexus, I'd guess. Then maybe another on Earth linking to the Hyperion, one on Palaven to the Turian ark, and so on. So I guess another possibility is that the MW terminals just got blown the fuck up.

I'd have to double check the timeline, but Wrex would be the de-facto leader of the Krogan by the time the mission launched for sure, and Liara might be the Shadow Broker at that point, so both could merit references.

Even then, Liara being the Shadow Broker is supposed to be a secret outside of the Normandy's team, so i'm not sure how they could even make that work. Or why would someone even talk about the Shadow Broker in Andromeda lol.

Patryn

Pretty big Gameplanet interview with Mike Gamble

- Massive information and gameplay systems drop coming January. Expect more details on the dialogue system, inventory "system", deeper information on combat and squad controls, and who's doing the music.

- Players looking for stealth or diplomacy options as opposed to combat are likely to be disappointed.

- Unlike the original trilogy the male and female protagonists will have distinctly different dialogue choices and personality. Gender-based responses will also be featured. However the main story remains unchanged for both.

- Instead of classes you now have class templates that you can change on the go at any time without cost to the player. A person can switch between a Vanguard and an Infiltrator template they've made as the situation calls for it.

- Reiterates that multiplayer is not required for singleplayer but those wanting to delve into the Strike System will be rewarded. Apparently it ties into what the other settlers of Andromeda are doing. More information in January(?) on that.
Color me as a luddite, but I dislike systems that allow respeccing on the fly with little effort.

I'm not against respeccing per se, but I prefer there to be a cost associated with it. Being forced to make a choice that has a cost to undo makes me closer to a character because it feels like it's solidifying something about that character as opposed to being able to change things up on a whim.

Even then, Liara being the Shadow Broker is supposed to be a secret outside of the Normandy's team, so i'm not sure how they could even make that work. Or why would someone even talk about the Shadow Broker in Andromeda lol.

Could be that she sent along agents with the expectation of them being able to use a QEC to communicate back. They wouldn't refer to her as "Liara" of course, but they could say something about the Broker seeming sudden change in priorities or something like that.

Oh, hey, also, if the subject of the Reapers ever come up for whatever reason, maybe the crew of that crazy human Spectre will merit a mention.

Lt-47

Color me as a luddite, but I dislike systems that allow respeccing on the fly with little effort.

I'm not against respeccing per se, but I prefer there to be a cost associated with it. Being forced to make a choice that has a cost to undo makes me closer to a character because it feels like it's solidifying something about that character as opposed to being able to change things up on a whim.

Not super fan of it either. Classes is good for both role pay and replay value.
Then again I don't even know how the skill system will work with only 3 actives power, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now

Daemul

Not super fan of it either. Classes is good for both role pay and replay value.
Then again I don't even know how the skill system will work with only 3 actives power, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now

It will most likely work the same way as it did in ME3 MP where all the classes only had 3 active powers.

Lt-47

It will most likely work the same way as it did in ME3 MP where all the classes only had 3 active powers.

Precisely and in ME3 MP they compensate that smaller skill set by giving you access to a lot of classes. You have to switch between class if you don't want to get bored of using the same 3 skills.

Which is obviously the inspiration for Andromeda class template switching at any time.

Hoping everyone here has a happy and positive holiday experience. Also not sure if the BioWare devs are still crunching even now but best wishes to them as well.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I hope they balance the game in a way that it is not necessary to constantly switch your class.
Having to go into the menu, swap classes and respec your points just to head into that battle right in front of you doesn`t sound fun at all.

It works in MP since you end up being in a menu anyways and you have a lot of time to choose your class, but in SP where its usually not necessary and you just want to keep playing I´m not sure if that´s something I would like.

I don´t know how it will work at the end so maybe they managed to do that in a way that is actually fun to use, who knows.

Its not. Thats the kicker

Manufactures have tied it to 4K to force you to buy a new TV, but the technology doesn't require 4K.
HDR in theory sounds like it is pretty damn important though. it sounds like the triluminous shit that sony puts in their TVs, although that's exclusive. so triluminous + hdr should equal madd win.

HDR typically give greater detail in the brightest and darkest parts of an image. Because the range of colors is greater, subtle differences can be displayed which under normal 8 bit display would be merged into one blob of either white or black. Color intensity is also a big thing. This is why how bright the TV comes into play.

An example of this would be extra details in clouds in a bright sky or rock details shown in a dark cave.
I see. So depending on the light in your room the VGA vs IPS probably comes into play here because it does make a difference in regards to the TV line I wanted to invest in.

Ummmm...I have an opinion on this, but most people wouldn't like it. lol

But IMO I see many people making interesting decisions on display settings which would lead me to think they are over thinking the issue.

If the image is washed out, it can only be 1 of two things. The TV/Console settings are incorrect (high probability) or there is a bug in the either the TV or console (low probability, but not unheard of)
let's hear it.

Sou Da

C0h3kcWUAAA_D9Y.jpg

Mindlog

The original trilogy was a dream sequence confirmed.
Everything after the Prothean Beacon was just a vision of a possible future. Our Shepard's are still on Eden Prime.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For ME3 multi, I am doing Premium Spectre pack -> Jumbo Equipment -> Premium Spectre -> Jumbo Equipment -> Repeat as a pattern.

I'd rather unlock and upgrade Rare (and with luck Ultra Rare) weapons than spend time getting higher level basic weapons!

A-V-B

- Players looking for stealth or diplomacy options as opposed to combat are likely to be disappointed.

So we're just all-in on 3rd person action now, huh. Zero actual role playing. What in the world are the dialogue options for? Info dumps and that's it?

My mild optimism has just taken a hard turn into massive pessimism...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A vast, overwhelming majority of quests across all three games were resolved with combat. Mass Effect as a series has a major emphasis on combat as a cornerstone to its quest and narrative design.

That being said, there were the odd quests and encounters that could be resolved with diplomacy. It'd be disappointing if they shafted them entirely.

Sou Da

And this is exactly what I mean.

I highly doubt that percentage changes. I'm pretty sure Mac's just setting the expectation that Mass Effect didn't evolve into Deus Ex.

Hence Stealth being mentioned at all when Mass Effect has never used a stealth mechanic to resolve conflict.

I mean the exact quote in reference is

True to Mass Effect, that's kind of the direction and vision we've always leaned into, and that hasn't changed in Andromeda.

SaylorMan

I highly doubt that percentage changes. I'm pretty sure Mac's just setting the expectation that Mass Effect didn't evolve into Deus Ex.

Agreed.That's how I took it, though I knew others might not.
I'm sure thats the case; "True to Mass Effect" seems to make it pretty clear.

Maledict

A vast, overwhelming majority of quests across all three games were resolved with combat. Mass Effect as a series has a major emphasis on combat as a cornerstone to its quest and narrative design.

That being said, there were the odd quests and encounters that could be resolved with diplomacy. It'd be disappointing if they shafted them entirely.

Two of my favourite loyalty quests in ME2 were pure dialogue and no combat at all (Samara, Thane). As you say, it's not the majority of quests but I hope they don't remove them completely.

(Also always amuses me that ME2, the game that supposedly ruined the role playing aspect of the series, is the one that had dedicated non-combat missions where dialogue was the only way through the game).

DevilDog

Hope everyone had a happy x-mas!

Two of my favourite loyalty quests in ME2 were pure dialogue and no combat at all (Samara, Thane). As you say, it's not the majority of quests but I hope they don't remove them completely.

(Also always amuses me that ME2, the game that supposedly ruined the role playing aspect of the series, is the one that had dedicated non-combat missions where dialogue was the only way through the game).

My favorite was Tali's loyalty mission. It had a healthy mix of both combat and dialogue.

And, that is ME1 purists for you. They have no idea what they are talking about, because they didn't get exactly what they wthought they were entitled to.

Bisnic

My girlfriend got me the Black N7 Elite Armour Stripe Hoody for Christmas even though I never specifically asked for it. That's how much she knows I love Mass Effect lol.

Do ME2's N7 missions affect anything in ME3? I'll probably skip them if they don't.

No they don't. Only loyalty missions, the Suicide Mission and some recruitment missions(if you decide to not keep Grunt or Legion) I guess really do as far as I know.

AyzOn

Neo Member
When they say "Diplomacy" are talking about political diplomacy or just resolving situation with words instead of guns?

If they refer to the first one, I could see that. I would have a hard time believing they would get rid of the latter.

And man, I don´t want to be Mac right now, if he says something wrong now and doesnt end every sentence with "true to mass effect", "just like the original mass effect" they will rip him a new one.

Patryn

Hence Stealth being mentioned at all when Mass Effect has never used a stealth mechanic to resolve conflict.

Arrival began with an extended potential stealth sequence.

Mass Effect 1 had plenty of sidequests that did not involve combat.

Bisnic

All 3 games had a bunch of hub missions that could be done without the need of combat. I'm expecting Andromeda to be the same.

Risgroo

No they don't. Only loyalty missions, the Suicide Mission and some recruitment missions(if you decide to not keep Grunt or Legion) I guess really do as far as I know.
Thanks! I want to finish the trilogy before I go back to university, so I don't really have time to do all the side quests.

sdijoseph

I'm having an issue with the ALOT texture mod for ME3. I installed EGM, Anderson Restoration, and ALOT textures, in that order. I followed the instructions for each mod very carefully. But I am starting up the modded game, and my vanilla game and I might be crazy, but comparing them there doesn't seem to be much of a difference with some of the textures.

Ex (Reg is vanilla, mod is Modded):
http://imgur.com/a/1aNL2

Would someone with ALOT properly installed mind sharing there Coalesced.bin and GamerSettings.ini files, in case there is something wrong with mine?

Edit: Never mind, disregard. The blurry textures I was looking at aren't included in ALOT for some reason.

Bisnic

Is there any way on ME3 PC to change the UI scaling? I just upgraded to a 4k monitor and everything is so tiny it's hard to see.

Sou Da

New gameplay coming January 4th, courtesy of... the Nvidia keynote at CES 2017.

I don't understand the marketing for this game. DAI was a lot better at this, they had their own schedule and had the director streamed the game personally.

Why is MEA just attaching trailers to any gaming media event?

DAI was a lot better at this, they had their own schedule and had the director streamed the game personally.
Wasn't that like... 2 weeks before launch though? I may be mis-remembering, but I do recall him showing off the advance classes on Twitch, but I thought it was right before the game launched.

I don't understand the marketing for this game. DAI was a lot better at this, they had their own schedule and had the director streamed the game personally.

Why is MEA just attaching trailers to any gaming media event?
The game just has some Nvidia features, that's all. There will be a ton of media in the 1-2 months before release.

DAI got that streaming treatment very close to launch.

Sou Da

Wasn't that like... 2 weeks before launch though? I may be mis-remembering, but I do recall him showing off the advance classes on Twitch, but I thought it was right before the game launched.

The game just has some Nvidia features, that's all. There will be a ton of media in the 1-2 months before release.

DAI got that streaming treatment very close to launch.

Yeah I looked over the archives, you're right.

Also: Hairworks?

goishen

Hairworks is something 'created' by Nvidia to move each strand of hair separately.

EDIT : The only reason that I put that in quotes is because AMD beat them to the punch with it in RotTR. And I believe before that, in the first reboot game. Can't recall though.

witness

So I'm playing through the series again and needed opinions on when to play Overlord and Shadow Broker during my playthrough. I'm still recruiting the crew right now so I have a ways to go.

I've played through 2 probably 10ish times now but it's been about 4 years since I've done so, so I take don't remember what my strategy was then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom