• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucreto

The RC car seems a bit meh going by the video. It will be entertaining to chase the cat around the house for 10 minutes but not worth it without the game. I am a collectors edition nut but I will pass on it like I did with the Dragon Age Inquisition CE.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I finally beat ME3 after marathoning through ME1 and ME2. I played and beat ME1 and ME2 when they came out but skipped ME3 at the time.

I enjoyed it for the most part. I had heard about the controversy regarding the ending as soon as it was released but the ending was OK, IMO.

What was absolutely terrible were the wave after wave of enemies on Earth to end the game. I seriously almost threw my controller and was just relieved it was over. I think they were trying to lengthen the game. It felt like I said Goodbye 100x before the game was actually over.

My favorite part of 3 was probably
when Liara asks if she can say goodbye as your going to see Captain Anderson, and she does that Asari mind thing and you go off into space. A really cool part

Bring on Andromeda

Alucrid

Banned
Meh. The new Shepherd looks great - but the model is a Trump supporter. Not a great front face to your game Bioware given your market.

well time to make my half black half mexican shepherd that's for socialized medi gels and against andromeda fences

Staf

Meh. The new Shepherd looks great - but the model is a Trump supporter. Not a great front face to your game Bioware given your market.

So a Canadian company should run background checks on all people involved in making their games to make sure they have never supported 'the wrong' candidate or ideology in another country? I heard the voice actor for Sera is in support of the royal family back in England, that really should disqualify her given that supporting that is inherently anti-democratic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aaryn confirms in the NVidia interview video that a full gameplay video is coming at some point.

"They want to see more gameplay. They want to see a full gameplay loop, so we're going to get that ready for a later show. That entire sequence I think, a rich, meaty 15 minute experience of starting in the Tempest, talking to some squadmates, landing on a planet, getting out, exploring in the Nomad, getting out, doing some fighting, maybe solving a mystery, getting down to a vault maybe, or going somewhere else. There's a lot to see and explore in the game, and I think players want to see that. And I respect that, and we're going to get that to them."

Caboose

Aaryn confirms in the NVidia interview video that a full gameplay video is coming at some point.

"They want to see more gameplay. They want to see a full gameplay loop, so we're going to get that ready for a later show. That entire sequence I think, a rich, meaty 15 minute experience of starting in the Tempest, talking to some squadmates, landing on a planet, getting out, exploring in the Nomad, getting out, doing some fighting, maybe solving a mystery, getting down to a vault maybe, or going somewhere else. There's a lot to see and explore in the game, and I think players want to see that. And I respect that, and we're going to get that to them."

Do it, Aaryn.

doit.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's pretty well known at this point, but the combined info along with re-reading the Game Informer article gives a decent picture of the premise:
At the founding of the Andromeda Initiative several "golden worlds" are detected through scans of the Andromeda galaxy, spearheading the project. Human, Turian, Asari, and Salarian arcs are constructed and set off, tailing the multi-species forwarding station Nexus that is sent first to establish a command centre. Humanity is heading to a golden world designated in Habitat 7 via the Hyperion ark and, after a 600 year flight to Andromeda, arrive to find Habitat 7 enshrouded in a dangerous energy and volatile atmosphere. Contact is lost with not only other arks but the Nexus too. Thus the story begins; humanity reestablishing contact with others, trying to muscle out a foothold in Andromeda, while unravelling what happened in the last 600 years that changed the galactic status from preliminary scans.

One nice thing (for better or for worse) about the whole Andromeda news barrage lately is that I'm seeing a tonne of people on twitch, reddit, and even here playing the series or the first time.

They really did miss a golden opportunity to have a complete trilogy collection out by this time.

Patryn

Could we be extra careful with the spoiler tags? A mismarked tag has already given me a small piece of information that I didn't want to know.

I mean I knew that eventually I'd have to leave this thread in fear of them, but I'd like to stick around a bit longer.

Could we be extra careful with the spoiler tags? A mismarked tag has already given me a small piece of information that I didn't want to know.

I mean I knew that eventually I'd have to leave this thread in fear of them, but I'd like to stick around a bit longer.
Which spoilers are we talking about? Nothing in Eatchildren's post is secret really, it's from public media that's been put out.

Yep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmtSgrhMak

I think they're gonna use that opportunity again this year.

The description for that video says it's fan-made. There wasn't a superbowl ad for 3, but there was that long-running series of live-action and cinematic ads.

A trip down memory lane:

"Fight"

"Take Earth Back" (Which I'm fairly sure was revealed during TMC's The Walking Dead mid-season premiere.)

The take back earth trailer is particualrly interesting because it made the battle for earth look pretty cool with all the human and turian ships in atmosphere.

Tsukumo

I finally beat ME3 after marathoning through ME1 and ME2. I played and beat ME1 and ME2 when they came out but skipped ME3 at the time.

I enjoyed it for the most part. I had heard about the controversy regarding the ending as soon as it was released but the ending was OK, IMO.

What was absolutely terrible were the wave after wave of enemies on Earth to end the game. I seriously almost threw my controller and was just relieved it was over. I think they were trying to lengthen the game. It felt like I said Goodbye 100x before the game was actually over.

My favorite part of 3 was probably
when Liara asks if she can say goodbye as your going to see Captain Anderson, and she does that Asari mind thing and you go off into space. A really cool part

Bring on Andromeda

If you haven't played it yet, get Citadel. All of Mass Effect 2 DLCs are absolutely worthy, expect maybe Arrival.

Alucrid

Banned
going to replay ME1, the best mass effect, on PC. kb/m controls good or is controller the way to go? do i need to download a mod for it? any other suggested downloads, i.e. texture packs, etc.?

diaspora

going to replay ME1, the best mass effect, on PC. kb/m controls good or is controller the way to go? do i need to download a mod for it? any other suggested downloads, i.e. texture packs, etc.?

Play around with keybindings for 10x fastforward because otherwise it's borderline unplayable.

It's the worst ME.

Plasma

Banned
Flynn confirmed no season pass but that was expected.

Was actually hoping there would be one with all the story, weapon and appearance DLC Bioware have put out for the previous games it gets pretty expensive buying them piece meal. Still at least we won't have to use Bioware points this time around.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I prefer playing with kb/m. More accurate aiming, easier to look around, plus you get more keybind shortcuts for your powers I believe too? If you're comfortable with kb/m, i'd say stick with it.

Sou Da

Was actually hoping there would be one with all the story, weapon and appearance DLC Bioware have put out for the previous games it gets pretty expensive buying them piece meal. Still at least we won't have to use Bioware points this time around.

They make DLC based on the interest of the last one and the game itself.

Dineren

Banned

My original playthrough was with the mouse/keyboard and it worked fine. My most recent I played with the controller mod and it worked great too, so I'd just go with your personal preference.

jvsjfojtn4t7cwqznddd.gif
eyebrows.gif

Daemul

Yep
(Edit: nope, fanmade)
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmtSgrhMak

I think they might use that opportunity this year.

Man, I forgot how cool that outro with Soldier Shepard appearing out of the shadows with his badass Omni blade was. I fucking loved playing as Soldier, biotics are cool and all, but DPS is king in the Mass Effect series, both in SP and MP (N7 Destroyer Soldier is my most used class in MP for a reason, dat Devastator Mode), where Soldier + Explosive Burst + Cerberus Harrier =

iSpxXFnwJh21z.gif

Not to mention those unlimited tech combos you could spam with Concussive Shot + Amplification, the Soldier class was basically a mini-Engineer in that game, with the added bonus of being able to do damn good damage with weapons due to the passive power and AR.

God the memories. I'm 10 hours into ME2 with a Vangaurd and I'm seriously considering just restarting the game again and using my main Soldier class, just so that can experience the glorious sensation again in ME3.

EDIT:Fuck it, I've restarted. 10 hours is nothing. No fucking regrets. Soldier for life.

Luxorek

God the memories. I'm 10 hours into ME2 with a Vangaurd and I'm seriously considering just restarting the game again and using my main Soldier class, just so that can experience the glorious sensation again in ME3.

EDIT:Fuck it, I've restarted. 10 hours is nothing. No fucking regrets. Soldier for life.

I'm about to finish replaying ME1 and was wondering which class to pick in ME2. I always stuck with Soldier, but was considering picking up Vanguard as it's mentioned as 'THE BEST CLASS' all the time whenever combat is mentioned. So was it's like? Was it too boring for you, too risky?

Nothing particularly groundbreaking news-wise but apparently on twitter the voice-over director confirmed that the character Reyes (the one Sara Ryder was talking to in that murder-investigation scene in the TGA gameplay trailer) is played by the same guy who voices Hawke in Dragon Age.

Whether he turns out to be a major character in the game or just a smaller planetary one who knows.

He must have incredible range though because apparently he plays Major Coats in Mass Effect 3, crazy how I never noticed that as a person who has played Dragon Age 2 many times.

EatChildren

Infiltrator for life. Will probably roll the same in Andromeda, but with the added mobility via the jetpack and dynamic cover system I'm tempted to play a more aggressive role given that's the kind of game I usually like to play. There's just something so satisfying about dealing insane damage as an infiltrator, methodically chewing threw waves of dudes.

Daemul

I'm about to finish replaying ME1 and was wondering which class to pick in ME2. I always stuck with Soldier, but was considering picking up Vanguard as it's mentioned as 'THE BEST CLASS' all the time whenever combat is mentioned. So was it's like? Was it too boring for you, too risky?

Nah, with all the ridiculous weapons at your disposal Soldier and Infiltrator are the best classes, since they can best take advantage of them with their skills (remember, you aren't restricted to just using a Sniper with an Infiltrator, Shotguns are even better to use than Snipers in ME3 with the Cloak). DPS is King after all.

Vanguard is fun, in SP especially where you face far less high level enemies than you do in MP, so it's less risky there, plus everytime you charge your barrier replenishes, so it has survivability (well, at least Shepard does, some of the Vanguard characters in MP not so much lol). You'll enjoy playing as it no doubt, you'll tear through enemies, but if you really want to ROFLstomp through the game then Soldier and Infiltrator are your go to classes.

Infiltrator for life. Will probably roll the same in Andromeda, but with the added mobility via the jetpack and dynamic cover system I'm tempted to play a more aggressive role given that's the kind of game I usually like to play. There's just something so satisfying about dealing insane damage as an infiltrator, methodically chewing threw waves of dudes.

Bruh, agreed. Turian Ghost and GI were some of my favourite characters to play, Infiltrators are just ridiculous.

EatChildren

I forget that the cinematic trailer has some great shots in it. Lovely lighting.

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11y2obp.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11adpzn.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11ywr5t.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11jfqsa.png

It's pretty well known at this point, but the combined info along with re-reading the Game Informer article gives a decent picture of the premise:
At the founding of the Andromeda Initiative several "golden worlds" are detected through scans of the Andromeda galaxy, spearheading the project. Human, Turian, Asari, and Salarian arcs are constructed and set off, tailing the multi-species forwarding station Nexus that is sent first to establish a command centre. Humanity is heading to a golden world designated in Habitat 7 via the Hyperion ark and, after a 600 year flight to Andromeda, arrive to find Habitat 7 enshrouded in a dangerous energy and volatile atmosphere. Contact is lost with not only other arks but the Nexus too. Thus the story begins; humanity reestablishing contact with others, trying to muscle out a foothold in Andromeda, while unravelling what happened in the last 600 years that changed the galactic status from preliminary scans.

Ow, wow, I hadn't realized that the big point of intrigue was that
the atmosphere/energy at their intended destination had changed in the 600 years of travel. That makes a more sense, alongside how the new alien races might be involved in the cause and effect. I had assumed something had gone wrong with the ships and everyone had gotten separated.
It's a really intriguing premise.

That's dope.
They set off thinking they'd find one thing but by the time they arrive it's A MESS

Ha, yeah, it's a great idea.

Yeul

I forget that the cinematic trailer has some great shots in it. Lovely lighting.

To finally see Mass Effect in Frostbite, especially without any cross-gen requirements is so satisfying. I'm going to have to play this in the dark so that everything pops.

Aaryn confirms in the NVidia interview video that actual marketing appropriate to this franchise is coming at some point.

kinda crazy we needed a confirmation on that, but good to hear

Daemul

I actually managed to find that list Eric Fagnan (Gameplay Designer for ME3) gave us a few years back about the top 15 most used characters on Gold and Platinum difficulty in MP.

1. Geth Juggernaut (Soldier)
2. N7 Destroyer (Soldier)
3. Turian Ghost (Infiltrator)
4. Alliance Infiltration Unit aka EDI (Infiltrator)
5. Geth Trooper (Soldier)
6. Krogan Warlord (Sentinel)
7. N7 Paladin (Sentinel who literally doesn't know a single Biotic power, Bioware were trolling)
8. Collector Adept (Adept)
9. N7 Fury (Adept)
10. N7 Shadow aka dat sword aka dat outfit (Infiltrator)
11. Geth Infiltrator (Infiltrator)
12. Talon Mercenary (Engineer)
13. N7 Demolisher (Engineer)
14. Asari Huntress (Infiltrator)
15. N7 Slayer aka cosplay Kai Leng (Vanguard)

5 Infiltrators
3 Soldiers
2 Engineers
2 Sentinels (I'm being generous by counting the Paladin as a Sentinel, he's really an Engineer in everything but name)
2 Adepts
1 Vanguard

That Infiltrator bias(and tech bias in general) is hilarious, but deserved. Tech powers are awesome.

Big Nikus

Alright, you've won, my next playthrough will be Infiltrator. I've almost always rolled with Vanguard.

That's dope.
They set off thinking they'd find one thing but by the time they arrive it's A MESS

MESS EFFECT.
Ya I know, I'm off.

X-Frame

I am so so pumped to see the Multiplayer. Given that even BioWare was surprised how well ME3 MP was received I assume they poured more resources into this MP.

I spent over 500 hours on ME3 MP and I can see myself doubling that for ME:A.

I love the reflections on the window and the bit of Tempest UI.

Personally I like the seat/workstation design they've got going on. Reminds me of the bridges in Star Trek starships. I can just imagine in my head the conversations you might have in cutscenes where your companions sit down and man the consoles while you and the salarian pilot talk something out.

Trek Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom