• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

First Person Shooter with Bioshock's plasmid mechanics and Halo's gunplay. Meaningful choices, focus on characters, plenty of items.

game of all time?

More like shoot me now, because that would be my nightmare. Mass Effect is not a first person shooter.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That idea is kinda silly. Hey lets allow you alter customise this appearance.. that you'll only see in cut scenes... Even Elder scrolls lets you go third person.

Zen

Banned
I agree with those objectives, but I don't think we need to land on a large series of empty rocks to do it. I fundamentally disagree with the idea that having a huge number of sparse, or even procedurally generated planets makes the world better.

You are disagreeing with a fundamental tenant of the romanticism of exploration. Venturing into the vast unknown in precisely the feeling they have said they are trying to evoke with this next game, and allowing for genuinely open and/or dynamic and procedural generated environments (to supplement scripted content) is hugely appealing. Especially to making the exploration in and of itself feel authentic. Negative space serves a very important function particularly in how it affects our minds. What point is the concept of the limitless horizon, and scale, if every planet we can explore is dense, and an uncharted style ruined temple is just around the corner through our guided variety tour that serves only to show how many artists they had building different types of assets to construct into a farcical concept of what true exploration is.

People love Skyrim not because of its density, or refinement, but because of its scope, and scope is more than just rendering a pretty skybox above a Palavin moon with an environment that happens to be three rooms large.

The Mako should return, even if they make the controls easier or have slightly better level design to alleviate some of the frustration, because it still made the experiences and discoveries feel earned.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Not every game in the Mass Effect universe needs to be third person imo. Didn't they try to make FPS multiplayer for ME3?

They already said the game would be in third person like before anyway. As much as I like FPS, i'd rather not Mass Effect go that path. I like seeing my character outside of cutscenes.

Staal

For the appreciation part of this thread, Dead End Thrills is doing a run of ME2. For those who are not familiar with DET:
Dead End Thrills is a website celebrating the passion and talent behind the world’s most exciting videogames. Its mission, if you can call it that, is to strip away the distractions of gameplay and provide lovingly captured snapshots of these virtual worlds and their inhabitants. I’ve compared it previously to the work of a unit stills photographer on a movie set: its job is to flatter and translate without any pretence of ownership. To provide a visual document that isn’t diminished by technology.

It really reminded me of the ME2 world. Although I thinks the galaxy in ME1 has more room for your fantasy and exploration, the worlds of ME2 had some of the best worlds to visit.

privatedancer.jpg

Private Dancer
midnightsun.jpg

Midnight Sun
hotstuffalt.jpg

Hot Stuff (alt version)

I was just thinking about Mass effect yesterday. Now that I have forgotten ME3 and the awful ending, I am looking forward to seeing this,

I guess we will have to wait for e3 2014? Release in fall 2015 perhaps?

I am very much looking forward to a nextgen version of the game.

I will never understand why people think why ME3's ending (starchild) is worse than ME2's ending (terminator made out of liquified humans).

To me the whole debate is a perfect example of how people let their own oppinion be influenced by the oppinion of others and how the oppinion of a minority can cause a butterfly effect, influencing the oppinion of thousands.

The fact that pretty much no press reviewer brought up the issue does not make me think that that they were all bought, but that they basically found the ending quite acceptable. Only after the issue has been brought up after release, all hell broke lose.

People that critizise the A, B, C ending ignore the fact that the state of the universe is also hugely dependent on your prior actions: Whether the Rachni, Quarian, Geth or Krogan peoples live or die has been determined by the actions of the player at that point. I believe that is why Bioware said the ending is not a simple choice of three options.

TomServo

I just finished my Insanity / Renegade / fem-Shep playthrough. I had forgotten how sudden the star child introduction was. I can't imagine how out of left field that must have been without playing Leviathan. At least with Leviathan behind you, you have context and understand what this thing is. Without that... why in the world did that make that DLC? Should have been part of the catalyst search, maybe between Rannoch and Thessia.

Loved these games though. ME2 and ME3 are the only retail games where I've gotten 100% of the achievements.

Harlequin

I am very much looking forward to a nextgen version of the game.

I will never understand why people think why ME3's ending (starchild) is worse than ME2's ending (terminator made out of liquified humans).

To me the whole debate is a perfect example of how people let their own oppinion be influenced by the oppinion of others and how the oppinion of a minority can cause a butterfly effect, influencing the oppinion of thousands.

The fact that pretty much no press reviewer brought up the issue does not make me think that that they were all bought, but that they basically found the ending quite acceptable. Only after the issue has been brought up after release, all hell broke lose.

People that critizise the A, B, C ending ignore the fact that the state of the universe is also hugely dependent on your prior actions: Whether the Rachni, Quarian, Geth or Krogan peoples live or die has been determined by the actions of the player at that point. I believe that is why Bioware said the ending is not a simple choice of three options.

I never quite got the ABC ending outrage, either. However, I still hated the ending because the explanations given in it simply didn't make any sense and were unsatisfactory. And yeah, the fanboy in me also
mourned Shepard
but the writer in me could appreciate that part of the ending for what it was so I never thought BioWare made the wrong call on that. Just on the explanations.

prag16

Banned

Are you a Bioware employee? Actually there are Bioware employees less apologetic to the ending than this post (e.g. Patrick Weekes). I don't mean to be a dick, but this stance just never fails to baffle me (assuming the stance is being made by a big highly invested fan of the series).

What the professional reviewers think means jack shit. And many of them DID allude to the ending being somewhat disappointing. But (a) many of them likely weren't nearly as invested in the series as many of the outraged fans, and (b) in some cases it's likely they didn't say a whole lot since reviews are generally mostly spoiler free.

There's absolutely no way you can just chalk this up to some kind of cascading mob mentality caused by a butterfly effect. I also still find it hard to believe that ANY fan highly invested in the series could possibly be satisfied with those endings whatsoever.

The ME2 final boss was kind of hokey obviously, but the suicide mission was cool and well done. And nothing in ME2 tried to shit all over 60-100 hours of previous gameplay on any level.

That said, I don't think the ending ruins the trilogy. I don't think it even ruins ME3. It sucks monkey fuck, but I still love all the games, and I am super pumped for ME4/whatever.

Vashetti

Banned
How likely is it that the Trilogy is ported to PS4?

I keep thinking about how awesome it would be, they are all beautiful games that would benefit from better hardware.

ME1 is clearly the most rough of them all however. On PS3 at least, the textures are quite muddy and the frame-rate hovers around the 20s.

All three at 1080p and 60fps would be an immediate upgrade for me.

Bisnic

How likely is it that the Trilogy is ported to PS4?

I keep thinking about how awesome it would be, they are all beautiful games that would benefit from better hardware.

ME1 is clearly the most rough of them all however. On PS3 at least, the textures are quite muddy and the frame-rate hovers around the 20s.

All three at 1080p and 60fps would be an immediate upgrade for me.

Why bother porting it to PS4 when you can already get 1080p and 60 FPS on a decent PC? No one would buy it unless they remade textures or stuff like that.

Mozendo

Started playing the series this week just left the citadel.
People have told me that the series dumbs down on it's tactical gameplay and it was non-existent on ME3, I hope next-gen ME brings that back.

Zen

Banned
Marrying the gameplay improvements with the properly implemented versions of the more complex systems of Mass Effect 1.

Vashetti

Banned
Why bother porting it to PS4 when you can already get 1080p and 60 FPS on a decent PC? No one would buy it unless they remade textures or stuff like that.

I don't have a decent PC. Console-only.

Having the complete Trilogy on XB1 and PS4 prepares gamers for ME4 (or w/e they're calling it) and can create new fans too.

Because it's easy money, and not everyone wants to play the PC version. I really don't see how many don't get this.

They could just release the multiplayer and it'd be a instant buy for me, but this is foolish. Release whole series with all DLC to prep a base for next gen, mp included.

Josh5890

Obviously I wouldn't want this to be ME4 but would anyone like an RTS Mass Effect game? With all of the different species and worlds, I think it could be a hit.

I bet Edge of Reality is already working on next gen versions of the trilogy. If you look on their website under projects it says Mass Effect trilogy, when in reality they only ported one game to one console. Porting a 5 yr old game to a system where the series doesn't sell nearly as well as the 360 version doesn't make a lot of sense, but if it was part of a bigger deal to bring it the nexgen platforms it seems a bit more logical. Thats my theory anyway. I'd buy an Xbox One version of the trilogy with all the DLC. Though I guess it wouldn't be able to have Pinnacle Station. Not a huge loss, but I'd miss having Shepard's apartment.

Patryn

I'd love a console HD rerelease. Can't play them on the PC, hate, hate, HATE keyboard and mouse controls for it. Controller feels so much better and natural.

But that's just me.

If they wanted to release Mass Effect Super Triology HD Boogaloo I'll be happy to buy it. But they'd have to package in all the DLC and controller support. Include HD textures in the whole trilogy too.

Patch in controller support?

That would be nice, but I don't see EA fronting the money to patch the PC games without a more significant repackaging or remastering that the Trilogy release from 2012. Which, by the way, was as lazy as hell, and didn't include any of the DLC.

Come on EA, use that Blu-Ray to give us everything, including the DLC.

Edit: oh, you edited. Never mind.

If they wanted to release Mass Effect Super Triology HD Boogaloo I'll be happy to buy it. But they'd have to package in all the DLC and controller support. Include HD textures in the whole trilogy too.

This. The only reason I haven't replayed the first two games on PC is that I don't have all the DLCs for them, and I do have them on the 360.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
My only real hopes for the next Mass Effect are:

No Trilogies, no prequels, no importing saves.

I love Bioware for their focus on making it 'your story' but it was their undoing in Mass Effect, too much time wasted designing for people who tried to romance Wrex 2 games ago.

Make 1 game, with one story and one set of characters.

I really want some kind of playable ship-to-ship combat this time around. Maybe use some tech/mechanics from Galactic Starfighter as a base or something. In a perfect world, my badass starship would be more than just a mission hub.

Like a ME space sim almost? IMO it would be awesome to do a format like I-War 2 where you start out with a small crew and base and eventually recruit more and more and get bigger :3

People have told me that the series dumbs down on it's tactical gameplay and it was non-existent on ME3, I hope next-gen ME brings that back.

Those people are full of shit, Mass Effect 3 has the best combat out of all three.

Mass Effect 3 has the best combat, but is far worse in the RPG department.

Vashetti

Banned

I love Bioware for their focus on making it 'your story' but it was their undoing in Mass Effect, too much time wasted designing for people who tried to romance Wrex 2 games ago.

Err, what?

Wrex is one of the best characters in the series, if you killed him off in the first game then you did your trilogy playthrough a major disservice.

I gotta finish mass effect 3 still. Is it really that bad? I just remember I was really pissed with the fact that I wouldn't be able playing with the characters that I fell in love with in Mass effect 2....which just frustrated me so I stopped playing it and then forgot about the game.

Bisnic

I gotta finish mass effect 3 still. Is it really that bad? I just remember I was really pissed with the fact that I wouldn't be able playing with the characters that I fell in love with in Mass effect 2....which just frustrated me so I stopped playing it and then forgot about the game.

If the only thing you were pissed off in ME3 was the fact that you couldn't play with Miranda/Jack/Thane/whatever, then nothing changed. Well, except that last DLC that allows you to play some arena games with them.

They added a free extended cut for the ending, although i think the "free" part is supposed to expire this year if I remember.

Vashetti

Banned
They added a free extended cut for the ending, although i think the "free" part is supposed to expire this year if I remember.

They only added that "expiry" date because they had to provide some sort of date for the listing, they've said it will remain forever free.

Bisnic

They only added that "expiry" date because they had to provide some sort of date for the listing, they've said it will remain forever free.

Oh, good. I always thought it was weird to expect people to pay for it in the future(which is now), since its just added cutscenes and dialogues. :p

Tellaerin

Like a ME space sim almost? IMO it would be awesome to do a format like I-War 2 where you start out with a small crew and base and eventually recruit more and more and get bigger :3

I'd love something like that myself, though I'm not sure if Bioware would want to invest that much effort in the ship-to-ship side of things. I'd be satisfied with having a ship you can customize (upgrade/change weapons and systems), crew with special ship skills (different crew members might provide bonuses or add special abilities depending on what role you assign them (pilot, gunner, engineer, etc.) ), and ship-to-ship battles. Some of those battles would just be people trying to blow your ship out of the sky, but I'm also imagining scenarios where you'd have to overtake a fleeing ship by crippling its engines, then take out its weapons from a safe distance so you can get close enough to board. Then you'd pick a couple of squadmates and actually board the enemy ship to capture a target or seize cargo or whatever.

The battles could be straight-up action (you fly around and fire the main battery, other crew members man turrets and fire at targets, and you can slow down the action and give orders to target specific systems, increase engine output, etc.), like a space combat version of the ground game, or more of a real-time strategy type thing. Either one would make your ship feel more like an actual ship instead of a base, which is the important thing.

i-Lo

I want to bring the discussion back to what ME series has become from the days of its progenitor: More of a shooter and less of a RPG with dialogues with stagnated in-game innovation. I still remember how it felt like a logical leap in technological advancement when guns did not use ammo clips rather replaceable heat clips.

So, is there an expectation or want for the series to return to what it was before it became what it is now, presumably, to lure more audience? Bioware has certainly come far since the days of BG 1, 2 and even KoTOR in their pursuit of streamlining everything.

Also, what would it take for them not chip away at the plot of their next game by taking one of the characters hostage to DLC? I still find it incredulous that Bioware removed the prothean character.

So (the bitterness rises to the surface), with the new generation of hardware and perhaps a new trilogy, will we see a more rounded RPG and more ethical business practices from Bioware?

Tellaerin

I want to bring the discussion back to what ME series has become from the days of its progenitor: More of a shooter and less of a RPG with dialogues with stagnated in-game innovation. I still remember how it felt like a logical leap in technological advancement when guns did not use ammo clips rather replaceable heat clips.

I felt like they took a step back from ME1 to ME2 with the whole "heat clips" thing, honestly. That felt so shoehorned in to me, this blatantly transparent attempt at rationalizing a "reloading" mechanic in-universe because they wanted the sequel to play more like traditional shooters. The first game's approach, where you had to manage your heat gauge instead of worry about how many shots you've fired, felt more "futuristic" to me. Even if moving to weapons that rely on a disposable clip was "superior tech" (which I still don't buy), every gun in the known universe that used the old heat sinks wouldn't've vanished in the time between games. (Sorry, that whole thing's still a pet peeve of mine.)

So, is there an expectation or want for the series to return to what it was before it became what it is now, presumably, to lure more audience? Bioware has certainly come far since the days of BG 1, 2 and even KoTOR in their pursuit of streamlining everything.

As far as game mechanics in ME being progressively "streamlined" over time, it's been sort of a mixed bag for me. I love the idea of an action-RPG built around gunplay rather than melee, and I think it really does justice to the kind of cinematic sf ME was inspired by. I feel the combat mechanics improved substantially over the course of the series (though that transition from heat gauge to clips still irks me, grumble grumble). But I'd've liked to see a greater emphasis on non-combat skills moving forward, and I didn't like how the level design gradually shifted from "exploring locales laid out in a more-or-less believable way" to "travelling down long, winding paths dotted with enemy encounters, tarted up with set dressing to make them look like places". That type of thing badly screws with my suspension of disbelief.

Also, what would it take for them not chip away at the plot of their next game by taking one of the characters hostage to DLC? I still find it incredulous that Bioware removed the prothean character.

Sadly, I'm kind of resigned to them sawing off bits of content from the main story to sell separately at this point. With ME2 and especially 3, they seem to view the core games as DLC delivery vehicles as much as games in their own right. I mean, even after all this time, the DLC for the PC version of ME3 still hasn't gone on sale as far as I know. That should tell you something.

As excited as I am for a new ME series, I'm most likely going to wait until each game's been out for awhile and all the planned DLC has dropped before I pick them up. I prefer to do "complete" playthroughs if possible, rather than revisiting a game repeatedly as each new piece of content is released.

So (the bitterness rises to the surface), with the new generation of hardware and perhaps a new trilogy, will we see a more rounded RPG and more ethical business practices from Bioware?

Honestly? As long as EA's handling the publishing, nothing on that front's liable to change. Might as well make your peace with it now. : /

doemaaan

Hmm, interesting. That wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Each Mass Effect game could take place during a different time period with different characters. In a way, that's like the Elder Scrolls series, but unlike that series, ME already had you parading around the entire galaxy (obviously not to every location). Each ES game takes place in one province of the Tamriel continent.

It'd feel kinda lame to me if ME didn't find a way to expand on the explorable horizons. Take it passed our galaxy since we've already been up and down the Milky Way... though I wouldn't really complain much. There's plenty of galaxy to explore.

Bisnic

So, what happened to shinobi? Permanent ban? His missing presence in the future reveal thread of ME4 will be felt if so.

Omega

Banned
Fps Mass Effect would kill the series for me.

Really? THAT'S what would kill the series?

Mass Effect has done plenty of series killing worthy stuff and none of that did the job. but changing the perspective ruins everything..

While I wouldn't be pleased with an FPS direction, wouldn't be worse than Vent Kid and he didn't kill the series for me so

@Bisnic, I forgot which mod said it but shinobi asked for a permaban to focus on life.

Bisnic

You know GAF is too big/important when people ask to be banned so they never have to post anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom