• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been missing out on my Mass Effect fix - loaded up ME2 to start all over again for one last hurrah.

I wish I had the PC version of ME1, but I had that on my 360 and my disc got stolen. So I have to start from 2. With no Saren.

If there would be a next-gen ME4, can we please go back to the sci-fi style of ME1? Oh, and whilst ME2&3 were super smooth to run and gun in I definitely want more of the uniqueness of ME1 gameplay with more RPG focus again. Weapon clips are dumb in the future, bring back overheating.
There was a save transferrer if I remember correctly, as well as tools to recreate your save.

TheHall

If ME4 is just a very fleshed out version of ME3's multiplayer i would still pay $70 on day one.

Dear god, that "tacked on" multiplayer was amazing.

Patryn

It would make sense to announce it before PAX and then show it there. PAX is about the Fans and there are alot of cosplayers. If the ME fans would know about a new ME and that it will be at PAX alot of them would show up at PAX in they costumes

PAX East already has some panel where several voice actors will be cosplaying as their ME characters.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If ME4 is just a very fleshed out version of ME3's multiplayer i would still pay $70 on day one.

Dear god, that "tacked on" multiplayer was amazing.

When you end up spending more time in that multiplayer than the entire ME trilogy you know something's good.

Turian Shocktrooper and N7 Shadow are still my favourite despite the fact , the Shock troppers main defining ability is simply a crappier version of a vanguards charge it feels so awesome doing it.

Lucius86

Banned
There was a save transferrer if I remember correctly, as well as tools to recreate your save.

You're right, but alas my original HDD on the 360 got stolen too.

It was more to do with wanting to play ME1 over again more than importing my save - I want that Sovereign chat to get me all goosebumpy. YouTube doesn't cut it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've been missing out on my Mass Effect fix - loaded up ME2 to start all over again for one last hurrah.

I wish I had the PC version of ME1, but I had that on my 360 and my disc got stolen. So I have to start from 2. With no Saren.

If there would be a next-gen ME4, can we please go back to the sci-fi style of ME1? Oh, and whilst ME2&3 were super smooth to run and gun in I definitely want more of the uniqueness of ME1 gameplay with more RPG focus again. Weapon clips are dumb in the future, bring back overheating.

How much is the PC version of ME1? Steam or Origin, i bet its at most 10$. It's worth the price of playing the game at 60 FPS/1080p(especially after hearing how bad the 360 and PS3 versions run), even if there is no controller support.

Plasma

Banned
How much is the PC version of ME1? Steam or Origin, i bet its at most 10$. It's worth the price of playing the game at 60 FPS/1080p(especially after hearing how bad the 360 and PS3 versions run), even if there is no controller support.

Yep definitely worth picking up on the PC, I found the combat and controls for the first game to be much better with the keyboard and mouse.

Kikujiro

Based on the Digital Foundry analysis, ME2 on PS3 is very comparable to the 360 version, but ME3 suffers a lot in the performance department.

That's good to hear, I'm pretty excited to play ME2 and see all the big improvements they made. I know some people say ME1 is better, but I wasn't blown away by the first episode and I feel like I'm gonna like the second one more.

For god's sake...it's 2014 and people is still recommending ME3 to people who have not played the other 2.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106089719&postcount=3080

Why people still do THAT? How can you recommend the last chapter of a 3 chapters story?

Yeah odd that. There is only one thing odder than that and that is Bioware recommending the same damn thing :-

Bioware stooge said:
What we’re trying to do with Mass Effect 3 is that it’s a new beginning for the series. It’s probably a natural entry point. Given the fact this is the beginning of an all-out war with this ancient alien race. We’ve been foreshadowing this war with this race that’s been dormant for 50,000 years. Well now they’ve finally woken up, launching their full scale invasion and trying to wipe out all life as we know it. It’s a natural point for people to jump in.

http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-3-fans-accessible-dyce-99145/

They even went one stage further as to suggest existing fans "experience" Mass Effect 3 for the first time WITHOUT importing a save game (which many had to do anyway because the save game importing was horribly broken and still is for some).

We can only hope lessons have been learnt, though I doubt it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ME4 will provide a better template than any, sans the first game, for being a new entry into the series. Regardless of where it's canonically set in the timeline, it's an entirely new story devoid of Shepard and co. Perfect and logical opportunity to get new fans. The "ME3 = perfect entry point!!!" thing was bafflingly stupid, even if it worked out economically.

prag16

Banned
For god's sake...it's 2014 and people is still recommending ME3 to people who have not played the other 2.

Why people still do THAT? How can you recommend the last chapter of a 3 chapters story?

It was a Wii U topic in which a guy was looking for more games, and I clearly said "If you have no other way to play the series." At around $10 new, you think that's an awful recommendation? I don't.

Gimme a break, man... lol.

ME4 will provide a better template than any, sans the first game, for being a new entry into the series. Regardless of where it's canonically set in the timeline, it's an entirely new story devoid of Shepard and co. Perfect and logical opportunity to get new fans. The "ME3 = perfect entry point!!!" thing was bafflingly stupid, even if it worked out economically.

Anymore rumours ? Very keen for any info

i-Lo

Would people be interested if the next mass effect game had over 10 folds the content of ME3, more dialogues and more characters but played like Baldur's Gate + Diablo (on consoles) with isometric camera angle? It would funnel the money toward more non-graphical and more pertinent upgrades.

With the changing of gens from SD to HD and programming complexities increasing significantly, the cost of games development had sky-rocketed (graphics is not the sole reason, however) last gen. This generation, both consoles (esp. PS4) are far more straight forward to program for. Most know it was done in the hopes of ultimately reducing game development cost (w/ time), thereby attracting more devs. However, will that change how major developers and publishers treat the consumers, many of who are now conditioned to not only expect but accept the much abused ubiquitous micro-transaction system? Given what EA has done with F2P games on mobile platform, I seriously doubt that they along with Bioware will provide a "complete" game and forgo the route of holding content (developed alongside the original project) hostage behind pay-wall. Even to this day, what they did with Javik disgusts me. I would like to believe in EatChildren's faith in Bioware but their track record in recent years makes me fearful.

Maligna

Banned

Honestly I have a hard time recommending the first game to certain people I know just because I fear they'll get to the horribly long Citadel part and then never finish playing. It's happened with a couple people I know already.

prag16

Banned
Honestly I have a hard time recommending the first game to certain people I know just because I fear they'll get to the horribly long Citadel part and then never finish playing. It's happened with a couple people I know already.

That's funny. Two guys I know from work that tried it fell victim to that exact part of the game... got bored and never went back to it during that extended citadel section during the first half of the game.

There's nothing wrong with the first part of the first game. Problem is modern society and gamers are just too riddled with ADHD to focus on anything important.

I always give games a good long chance, whether it's a long section or hard enemies.

royox

It was a Wii U topic in which a guy was looking for more games, and I clearly said "If you have no other way to play the series." At around $10 new, you think that's an awful recommendation? I don't.

Gimme a break, man... lol.

"If you have no other way to play the series...don't play ME3". Easy as hell.

Me1 and ME2 can be sold for 5$ each other (or both at the same time) on Steam sales or Origin.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anymore rumours ? Very keen for any info

Nothing. They've done a good job of keeping a tight lid on things. Summary:

What we know fo sho:
- It's not called "Mass Effect 4".
- No Shepard and crew, totally new story and direction for the series.
- Powered by Frostbite 3.
- Will feature "all the staples elements of the franchise".

Rumour #1: PAX private fan demo leak:
- Two new species: one arrogant and skeletal, the other ancient space golems.
- Turian/Asari/etc return, renders shown.
- Greater diversity and detail in alien facial structures.
- More detailed armour customisation.
- Vehicles return to some degree.
- Core themes: exploration and discovery.
- Implied, but not confirmed, that it's canonically post-trilogy.

Rumour #2: My info, based on an old build:
- Titled "Mass Effect: (something)".
- Core themes: exploration.
- New species.
- PC/Xbone/PS4 only. No last gen port planned.
- Multiplayer.
- Designed similarly to previous entries: third person, powers, etc.
- Implied that the PAX leak details are believable.

Rumour #3: Guy who successfully leaked very detailed Citadel DLC story/content months before release:
- Titled "Mass Effect: First Contact".
- Prequel, set during the First Contact War.
- First person shooter.
- Greater emphasis on action and shooting over role playing.

That's all we go.

royox

But the trilogy has 4 kind of endings and several variations on red and blue endings (red beam destroys everything, red beam destroys everything but organics, red beam only destroys Synthetics...)

How can you contiue that?

EatChildren

But the trilogy has 4 kind of endings and several variations on red and blue endings (red beam destroys everything, red beam destroys everything but organics, red beam only destroys Synthetics...)

How can you contiue that?

Iono. If it's actually a sequel I figure their options are:

a) Set it so fucking far in the future and try to canonise any possible ending/universe state that they're all made irrelevant.
b) Retcon in some post-ending events that trivialises the choice into a new canon.
c) Try and save import ending/universe variations and fail miserable.
d) Say "fuck it" to players desperate for their ending to be canonised and instead pick one or craft a new one and make it that.

Personally, if it's a sequel, I hope to fuck they go with option d. And I hope that just means "Reapers are dead, synthesis didn't happen, and there was no arbitrary "synthetic" genocide. The universe is post-Reaper war. The end." Like I just want them to go with the in a universe of many possibilities, here is one direction instead of pandering to fans who demand their choices matter, instead emphasising that this is just one possible outcome and no it might not be yours but get the fuck over it the trilogy is over it doesn't matter rennaghghdfg.

Iono. If it's actually a sequel I figure their options are:

a) Set it so fucking far in the future and try to canonise any possible ending/universe state that they're all made irrelevant.
b) Retcon in some post-ending events that trivialises the choice into a new canon.
c) Try and save import ending/universe variations and fail miserable.
d) Say "fuck it" to players desperate for their ending to be canonised and instead pick one or craft a new one and make it that.

Personally, if it's a sequel, I hope to fuck they go with option d. And I hope that just means "Reapers are dead, synthesis didn't happen, and there was no arbitrary "synthetic" genocide. The universe is post-Reaper war. The end." Like I just want them to go with the in a universe of many possibilities, here is one direction instead of pandering to fans who demand their choices matter, instead emphasising that this is just one possible outcome and no it might not be yours but get the fuck over it the trilogy is over it doesn't matter rennaghghdfg.

I think those are about the only plausible options. I really don't care what they do as long as they break away from the organic vs. synthetic crap.

royox

That would piss everybody who choose green, blue....or even shoot da fucking kid.

If BW wants to continue ME saga they need the indoctrination theory to become true. Blue, Green = indoctrinated. Red = Not indoctrinated. Shoot the Kid = alternative not canon ending.

Patryn

Nothing. They've done a good job of keeping a tight lid on things. Summary:

What we know fo sho:
- It's not called "Mass Effect 4".
- No Shepard and crew, totally new story and direction for the series.