• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prag16

Banned
Really? THAT'S what would kill the series?

Mass Effect has done plenty of series killing worthy stuff and none of that did the job. but changing the perspective ruins everything..

While I wouldn't be pleased with an FPS direction, wouldn't be worse than Vent Kid and he didn't kill the series for me so

@Bisnic, I forgot which mod said it but shinobi asked for a permaban to focus on life.

I dunno, I'd be very unhappy if they switched to FPS at this point. FPS's in general kind of annoy me; without peripheral vision I always feel like I have blinders on. With a solid three monitor setup, perhaps we could talk.. Even oculus rift with full head tracking could still have this issue to a degree.

The third person perspective gives the illusion of peripheral vision so some extent. For the same reason, I have problems with in-car camera for racing/driving games.

But all that aside for any story based, cutscene heavy game, I prefer third person. Better continuity to be third person the whole time than switching between the two for gameplay vs. cutscenes. I suppose some games do 1st person cutscenes but that loses the cinematic aspect.

Dolobill

I just got back from a NHL game in Edmonton and Casey Hudson was sitting almost directly in front of me. I called out to him, and his wife (I assume) turned around, then whispered something to him.. but he ignored me.

Sorry I have nothing else to report.

Mozendo

Those people are full of shit, Mass Effect 3 has the best combat out of all three.

Mass Effect 3 has the best combat, but is far worse in the RPG department.

But can you play it in a tactical way? Like pause the combat to give your unit commands like in this screen?
mass-effect-pc-tactical_-hud_biotics_01.jpg

Friends have said it plays more like a TPS with RPG elements and there's really no tactical gameplay involved and can bumrush into combat.
It'll sadden if it's true. Even though ME1 wasn't a fully polished tactical game like the Rainbow Six or Operation Flashpoint games I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
But can you play it in a tactical way? Like pause the combat to give your unit commands like in this screen?

Friends have said it plays more like a TPS with RPG elements and there's really no tactical gameplay involved and can bumrush into combat.
It'll sadden if it's true. Even though ME1 wasn't a fully polished tactical game like the Rainbow Six or Operation Flashpoint games I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Huh, yes you can? I played ME2 and ME3 a lot of times and you can pause the combat to select your squadmates commands(or Shepard ones), just like in ME1. Or you can just bind many of them(on PC anyway) on 8 different keyboard shortcuts, which is actually better most of the time, just so it doesnt break the combat too much.

Honestly, the combat itself in ME2 and ME3 works just the same as in ME1, except its actually optimized and better(no dumb talents needed to actually hit your targets with your guns). The only thing most people miss from ME1 when it comes to the actual combat is having bigger open fields and maybe the no global cooldown thing(although its not as bad in ME3 as it is in ME2).

ME3 is better than ME2 because global cooldown isn't as bad, you can better customize your powers, you have a better choice of guns, you can put mods on your guns just like in ME1, you can dodge/roll, and you've got stuff like heavy melee attacks or grabbing enemies when you're in cover.

The only thing I miss about ME1 combat is not having ammo. I hope they bring that back. Or at least the system they intended to have originally in ME2. Wasn't it technical limitations that stopped them doing that?

Why bother porting it to PS4 when you can already get 1080p and 60 FPS on a decent PC? No one would buy it unless they remade textures or stuff like that.

If they release the trilogy with updated textures and dlc for PS4, I am buying that straight away. I already own the games on PC, I just prefer playing on console.

Bisnic

The only thing I miss about ME1 combat is not having ammo. I hope they bring that back. Or at least the system they intended to have originally in ME2. Wasn't it technical limitations that stopped them doing that?

If they release the trilogy with updated textures and dlc for PS4, I am buying that straight away. I already own the games on PC, I just prefer playing on console.

Some ME3 guns works a bit like ME1. Not exactly the same, but you have unlimited ammo, and you have to let your gun recharge when you're getting close to 0, or let it slowly cool down if you actually hit it.

Patryn

Some ME3 guns works a bit like ME1. Not exactly the same, but you have unlimited ammo, and you have to let your gun recharge when you're getting close to 0, or let it slowly cool down if you actually hit it.

Isn't that just one gun? That only comes with Citadel?

Bisnic

Prothean gun still has an ammo limit, I believe. It's just that all the shots are in the single clip.

Whereas the one in Citadel is truly an unlimited ammo weapon.

Nah, Prothean gun also recharge itself. It even use the same cooldown animation as the Citadel gun if you don't stop before it hits 0.

For multiplayer, costs aside, some missions could have your character interact with other players or characters in cutscenes. Each race have different voice actors - male/female. N7 missions but online if you know what I mean.

Patryn

For multiplayer, costs aside, some missions could have your character interact with other players or characters in cutscenes. Each race have different voice actors - male/female. N7 missions but online if you know what I mean.

Interesting idea, but I think it's unlikely. I'm guessing a lot of players would get bored watching the scenes more than once and twice, and would just want to skip them. Anything keeping you out of the action for long periods of time is counter-productive. MP stuff is supposed to be highly repeatable.

Interesting idea, but I think it's unlikely. I'm guessing a lot of players would get bored watching the scenes more than once and twice, and would just want to skip them. Anything keeping you out of the action for long periods of time is counter-productive. MP stuff is supposed to be highly repeatable.

Agreed which is why I said some missions, different outcomes on the choices made by players etc. I can see why it would become monotonous but it could be put in place if enough variety in the mission and different outcomes were possible ?

Mass 3 multiplayer was one of the best surprises last gen for me

Patryn

Agreed which is why I said some missions, different outcomes on the choices made by players etc. I can see why it would become monotonous but it could be put in place if enough variety in the mission and different outcomes were possible ?

Mass 3 multiplayer was one of the best surprises last gen for me

I just don't think it would be possible to create enough variation to avoid large amounts of repeating scenes. You also have the difficulty of what happens if one member of the team wants to skip everything, but everyone else doesn't? Or, even worse, one person wants to watch while everyone else wants to skip? Will they be beholden to sit through it?

Just witness how many people skip anything storywise in MMOs. I have a feeling the MP audience, for the most part, couldn't care less about story stuff and just wants to play.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Citadel gun since I never really used it after. Same for the particle rifle. I liked their idea for ME2 though, but I think they're probably gonna keep the combat pretty similar to ME3 which is a bit of a shame in that regard.

I just don't think it would be possible to create enough variation to avoid large amounts of repeating scenes. You also have the difficulty of what happens if one member of the team wants to skip everything, but everyone else doesn't? Or, even worse, one person wants to watch while everyone else wants to skip? Will they be beholden to sit through it?

Just witness how many people skip anything storywise in MMOs. I have a feeling the MP audience, for the most part, couldn't care less about story stuff and just wants to play.

Yeah I see what you are saying, I just thought it would make a nice change for certain online maps is all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jos Hendriks @Sjosz: I think next week may be a lot of fun. #space

Mass Effect 4 announcement confirmed for next week, followed by Game Informer cover story, information blow out, and multiplayer beta test.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Barrett Rodych @ForgedPixels: Got a crash course in our AI toolset from @bendotc; next week should be pretty awesome. Also maybe I can tweak his AI to stop wrecking me...
(Rodych = QA Analyst at BW Montreal)

Followed by a fan saying:
More likely it's just some intern build review. ;)

And Rodych replying with:
We have a sprint/milestone show n tell tomorrow, but not next week.. :whistle:

EatChildren

I was joking about Game Informer. I think next month's is something else.

But I can't tell if they're just teasing bullshit internal stuff or some fan teases. PAX isn't next week, but the week after, so the time is right for BioWare to tease. And they're teasing Mass Effect related something, not Inquisition. Still, even if it's actually a tease, it could be a HD port of the trilogy, new merch, fan events, etc. WHO KNOWS.

prag16

Banned
(Rodych = QA Analyst at BW Montreal)

Followed by a fan saying:

And Rodych replying with:
Wasn't getting my hopes up... until that last one. now my hopes are up.

Separately, if they rework the trilogy for PS4bone, I hope that version comes to PC as well. I'll gladly triple dip.

Bisnic

When would they ever have the time to make a HD rework of the original trilogy? They have their hands full on the next game, and Bioware Edmonton is doing the new IP.

Wasn't getting my hopes up... until that last one. now my hopes are up.

Separately, if they rework the trilogy for PS4bone, I hope that version comes to PC as well. I'll gladly triple dip.

Anyway, even if they do this, they would need to remake the textures on everything to be worth it on PC since all 3 games are already at 1080p/60 FPS. Otherwise its just a waste of money for PC users.

Well... after thinking about it, if they could remake them for added controller support, better mouse controls(mousewheel doesn't even work *shakes head*) and shorter loading screens for ME2 and key shortcuts for menus in ME2/ME3, i guess it COULD be worth it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so, having sold the 360 .. i started the trilogy on PS3.

It's really weird playing a version of Mass Effect 1 that isn't complete shit in performance, also those PS buttons look so out of place ..

Performance is smoother, but i can't help but feel that ME1 on 360 'looked' better. The PS3 version has very notable aliasing even with the film filter on.

Kikujiro

so, having sold the 360 .. i started the trilogy on PS3.

It's really weird playing a version of Mass Effect 1 that isn't complete shit in performance, also those PS buttons look so out of place ..

Performance is smoother, but i can't help but feel that ME1 on 360 'looked' better. The PS3 version has very notable aliasing even with the film filter on.

I only played the PS3 version and I thought it was pretty bad, a lot of framedrops and possible locks during the loading screens. I hope Mass Effect 2 is better, what I really don't like about Bioware's games is how unpolished they are.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I only played the PS3 version and I thought it was pretty bad, a lot of framedrops and possible locks during the loading screens. I hope Mass Effect 2 is better, what I really don't like about Bioware's games is how unpolished they are.

The thing with ME2/3 on the 360 (I played HUNDREDS of hours of each on 360) is that they're both really well optimized for the 360. Performance is leagues and bounds better than ME1 was, and both games look fantastic.

Based on the Digital Foundry analysis, ME2 on PS3 is very comparable to the 360 version, but ME3 suffers a lot in the performance department.

Oh ma a reveal next week would be awesome. But I'm still skeptical about such things, we thought it would be revealed soon so many times before. But the time seems right.

EatChildren

For what it's worth, BioWare has previously been very generous at PAX. At PAX Prime last year they did a 30+ minute Inquisition preview, more or less the first bulk of gameplay/content footage we got courtesy of off screen recordings. This year's PAX Prime is in a week and a bit.

It would make sense to announce it before PAX and then show it there. PAX is about the Fans and there are alot of cosplayers. If the ME fans would know about a new ME and that it will be at PAX alot of them would show up at PAX in they costumes

Lucius86

Banned
I've been missing out on my Mass Effect fix - loaded up ME2 to start all over again for one last hurrah.

I wish I had the PC version of ME1, but I had that on my 360 and my disc got stolen. So I have to start from 2. With no Saren.

If there would be a next-gen ME4, can we please go back to the sci-fi style of ME1? Oh, and whilst ME2&3 were super smooth to run and gun in I definitely want more of the uniqueness of ME1 gameplay with more RPG focus again. Weapon clips are dumb in the future, bring back overheating.

prag16

Banned
When would they ever have the time to make a HD rework of the original trilogy? They have their hands full on the next game, and Bioware Edmonton is doing the new IP.

Anyway, even if they do this, they would need to remake the textures on everything to be worth it on PC since all 3 games are already at 1080p/60 FPS. Otherwise its just a waste of money for PC users.

Well... after thinking about it, if they could remake them for added controller support, better mouse controls(mousewheel doesn't even work *shakes head*) and shorter loading screens for ME2 and key shortcuts for menus in ME2/ME3, i guess it COULD be worth it.
Well yeah. It would need new textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom