• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyburner

Neo Member
Probably, I'm pretty convinced I'll love it based on what I've seen so far.

There's just a few things I wish BioWare would answer:

1. Are we allowed to hear the main theme before the game releases?
2. Who is the composer for the game?
3. When is the multiplayer beta? I loved ME3's multiplayer.

For the plot I'll let the game answer my questions, I have faith. :)

zerosum

Let's boil it down to what it is. An excuse to cut ties with the baggage created by the trilogy and the endings. And that's the right move on Bioware's part. It had to be done.

From an in-universe standpoint though, I was hoping they'd come up with something more compelling than "because we can."

Oh certainly... Absolutely agree with the first point. Even though I don't hate the trilogy ending as much as some.

And for the second, I'd guess there's a bit more behind it than that. If not, not necessarily a deal breaker on my end. We'll find out soon enough. :)

I think that the suspicion is somewhat warranted, there's going to be a five issue comic series named Mass Effect Discovery about a Turian recruit
infiltrating the Andromeda Initiative to retrieve a scientist which has made a potentially 'devastating' discovery.

That seems to me like an indicative of something somewhat shady going on.

Okay, that's interesting - I never keep up with game tie-in material so it flew under my radar. Still, it's going to be pretty hard to come up with a rationale for an intergalactic expedition that doesn't open up a new can of lore-breaking worms.

But hey, if the writers want to surprise us, I'm all for it.

Probably, I'm pretty convinced I'll love it based on what I've seen so far.

There's just a few things I wish BioWare would answer:

1. Are we allowed to hear the main theme before the game releases?
2. Who is the composer for the game?
3. When is the multiplayer beta? I loved ME3's multiplayer.

For the plot I'll let the game answer my questions, I have faith. :)

Can't answer the first and third questions but it seems to be all but confirmed that the main composer is John Paesano. He was credited for the main theme that was shown to private audiences for a concert back in December and a lot of the BioWare staff follow him on twitter.

Plus his twitter banner has the Mass Effect cover-art on it now lol.

XlmtpAe.png

SugarDave

I don't see what the issue is with the jump to Andromeda even if the reason for it is simply "Because why not?" Yes, it's a bit odd that it was never mentioned during the trilogy and we all know the initial development decision to do so was almost certainly just to distance themselves from the original games, but I don't consider it a problem if they do something interesting with the shift.

There's a lot of potential for themes of discovery and character stories of escaping your past etc. I suppose I've grown to be more accepting of lore breaking (to a reasonable extent) if there's something intriguing to take away from the subtext.

Amazon UK have the Collector's Edition Guide for £13.59 for anyone considering buying it. I noticed my initial order for it of £20 recently dropped, seems like a good price.

Gotta be a real particular stickler to not be able to suspend your belief that much. There's like at least 11 billion humans out there. Humanity has the know-how and resources to colonize planets, and is part of a thousand year old galactic civilization by Mass Effect 2. They can miss like a hundred thousand individuals, along with the resources to send an expeditionary mission into another galaxy.

Like, seriously people. You really can't believe that a fraction of a fraction of a percentage of the galactic civilization might prefer going the draw of going to an all new galaxy over "let's colonize yet another planet within our own, and do more of the same".

Maledict

Gotta be a real particular stickler to not be able to suspend your belief that much. There's like at least 11 billion humans out there. Humanity has the know-how and resources to colonize planets, and is part of a thousand year old galactic civilization by Mass Effect 2. They can miss like a hundred thousand individuals, along with the resources to send an expeditionary mission into another galaxy.

Like, seriously people. You really can't believe that a fraction of a fraction of a percentage of the galactic civilization might prefer going the draw of going to an all new galaxy over "let's colonize yet another planet within our own, and do more of the same".

No. because *none* of the mass effect timeline or logic makes sense. Earth doesn't become a galactic power in 27 years. And a private investor doesn't spend more money than *god* to build a colony ship that will never, ever connect back to earth. It's beyond logic comprehension that when 99% of the galaxy is unexplored vast numbers of people would sign up to leave everything they have behind to go on a one way trip that they don't even know will work - especially when we know that humans are already going into dangerous, unknown systems to build colonies not connected to citedal space?

I understand why they are doing it. - they have to escape the ending of mass effect 3. But unless there's some explanation that is revealed in game, we're just going to have it put it in the box alongside the 'humanity conquers the galaxy' and 'where did all the thermal clips come from' and accept the internal logic of the game falls apart when you look closely at it.

Doodis

Here's a game where you use magic space powers with your hands to make miniature black holes and people are fucking worried about having a good reason to explore a different galaxy? Good lord.

No. because *none* of the mass effect timeline or logic makes sense. Earth doesn't become a galactic power in 27 years. And a private investor doesn't spend more money than *god* to build a colony ship that will never, ever connect back to earth. It's beyond logic comprehension that when 99% of the galaxy is unexplored vast numbers of people would sign up to leave everything they have behind to go on a one way trip that they don't even know will work - especially when we know that humans are already going into dangerous, unknown systems to build colonies not connected to citedal space?

I understand why they are doing it. - they have to escape the ending of mass effect 3. But unless there's some explanation that is revealed in game, we're just going to have it put it in the box alongside the 'humanity conquers the galaxy' and 'where did all the thermal clips come from' and accept the internal logic of the game falls apart when you look closely at it.

People do crazy things sometimes. When you exponentially increase the number of people and the resources they have available, you logically have more people doing crazy things on a bigger scale.

And the ME timeline is at least believable (if somewhat over-compressed) if you assume a massive increase in our manufacturing capabilities and a generally conservative mindset in the rest of Citadel space, which... does seem to be the case? The last major race the council found are the Turians who are notoriously stable. Humanity expanding unusually rapidly isn't so totally unbelievable, and I don't really see why you keep going back to that as if it's unspeakable nonsense.

(An incredible degree of manufacturing ability would also explain thermal clips being everywhere too btw).

Muh loooore

There's are more reasons than just "get away from the trilogy" that Bioware decided on making the game take place in a different galaxy. As indicated by all of the Andromeda Initiative videos with their overtones of 60s NASA era wonder of exploration, they're trying to evoke that feeling in the game. Sure, 99% of the galaxy is unexplored, but saying "we're going to go check out this star system next door that doesn't have a mass relay, might be a few years till we get back but since we haven't met any explorers yet, it probably doesn't have intelligent life" doesn't evoke the same feelings as "we're going to go check out that galaxy next door that will take 600 years to get to and might be filled with peoples and environments we never dreamed of"

Fiction writers need to do more than to make sure their plots are airtight from a strictly "logical" perspective. They need to also be emotionally resonant. Sometimes those goals are at odds with each other, most conflict that happens in fiction could be resolved by parties talking to each other, but then that would be boring. Plus we still don't know the specifics of what's going on or if there's ulterior motives for the trip. It's too early to write it off as 'unrealistic'.

Like I said, particular stickler.

First and foremost, what are you basing the plausibility of the 27 year timeline off of? Other civilizations in the real world who, a hundred years from now, have found a technology-imparting monolith left behind by an ancient alien race, but took 50 years to get galactic civilization status?

Like 150 years ago we were on the tail end of the industrial revolution. Ever since then, technological improvement has basically progressed in an exponential manner. Throw in magical space aliens imparting magical space knowledge, some artificial intelligence, mass produced robots, and the sheer amount of raw resources that regular space travel affords you, and I really don't see how you can't find it plausible for humanity to get to the position they're in after 27 years. The question of "why aren't the rest of the galactic races, who've had a thousand years on humans, far surpassed anything we've achieved by then?" is generally answered by the notion of "they're still basing their tech on reaper technology, and that's the level of technology the reapers have set for any civilizations to achieve over the past couple eons".

Secondly, why would it be impossible for a private investor to spend a very large sum of money to build a colony ship? You really can't envision even the slightest possibility for that type of person to exist? As we already know, one of the first people (Alec Ryder) to have set foot on the other side of a Mass relay is heading this thing, so he sure seems to have a vested interest in "going where no man has gone before". Who knows, maybe he got super fucking rich himself, and solely funded the mission? Or maybe some other (group of) angel investor(s) dropped some cash, and went on the ride themselves? Who cares, the point is that there clearly exists some crack in the notion of "It is clearly impossible for a person to exist who would want to fund this mission", some non-zero chance, which is really all you need to be able to tell a story. And that's disregarding any distinct possibility that there is in fact some specific reason for going.

And in terms of finding the people who would want to go on a mission like that, far more human beings than 20.000 have done far dumber shit for far less. Here's a little reality check: Two Hundred Thousand people signed up for the Mars One project, the one way trip to mars. Now, obviously only a fraction of people will actually go through with it, but the point remains that there is clearly some type of person out there who would do something like this.

As to your last point, I really don't think you truly understand how big a number 10+ billion is. When you're talking a number that big, it's almost impossible to make a definitive statement about the statistical impossibility of anything happening. It is absolutely, 100% possible for there to exist ~20.000 (which is 0.0000002% of humanity, by the way) human beings out of 10 billion who would have the specific opinion "I don't care about finding another rock in this galaxy, I'd much prefer to go to a new galaxy, and be among the first to get there". Like, I don't understand how you can't agree with that notion unless you completely don't understand statistical probability. And beside that, we can't even relate what kind of resources such a mission might take. Like, how much is that really compared to what humanity can do? We don't know.

Skyburner

Neo Member
Can't answer the first and third questions but it seems to be all but confirmed that the main composer is John Paesano. He was credited for the main theme that was shown to private audiences for a concert back in December and a lot of the BioWare staff follow him on twitter.

Plus his twitter banner has the Mass Effect cover-art on it now lol.

Thanks! Not really familiar with the man, but indeed that all but confirms it. Now excuse me as I'm going to youtube some of his work, lol. Thanks again!

DevilDog

Here's a game where you use magic space powers with your hands to make miniature black holes and people are fucking worried about having a good reason to explore a different galaxy? Good lord.

So if Ryder and the rest of his pals jump into andromeda and start doing kamehameha waves and summon monsters from his body hair it's going to be fine cuz we make black holes and stuff guys.

Jesus, you're undermining good writers so much it's embarassing.

It's not like someone spend days upon days laying a good foundation for the manipulation of mass. It's not like the writer used Socratic Questioning to create an authentic world.

They need to also be emotionally resonant.
They failed.

It's too early to write it off as 'unrealistic'
Maybe, but they've done a poor job of setting up the premise correctly. As far as Marketing goes at least. As I said, I'm willing to get them a chance to prove me wrong. Going in open minded. Deep inside, I trust BioWare. I think.

prag16

Banned

I don't know if anybody is "worried". We're just pointing our that it's unfortunate that this may be something else to put alongside thermal clips and such as another poster said.

It won't kill my enjoyment of the game by any means. But I hope there's ultimately more there than "Yolo bitches I have 100x the resources of the illusive man so let's blow this pop stand."

But if there's not there's not. And the game still will likely be a frontrunner for my game of the generation regardless.

I'm on a $150 budget. What's a good nvidia gpu in that range that will play MEA smoothly?
1050ti will get you where you want to go. Should be able to play at higher than PS4 equivalent settings at 1080p assuming you have at least a 2500k level CPU. That card isn't ideal for future proofing though. But should be fine for all PS4 multiplats moving forward.

Doing another replay of the trilogy for like the twenty-somethingth time to keep my hype going.

Something I was just wondering about with Andromeda though, is it the entire galaxy that's explorable like in 1-3 or just a small section of it? Because I haven't heard anything about mass relays in Andromeda so I was thinking about how they'd feasibly cover such long distances between systems.

1050ti will get you where you want to go. Should be able to play at higher than PS4 equivalent settings at 1080p assuming you have at least a 2500k level CPU. That card isn't ideal for future proofing though. But should be fine for all PS4 multiplats moving forward.

I already pulled the trigger on a 1050ti GPU before seeing your post but thanks anyway. Yeah, I have an i5-6600k.

Doing another replay of the trilogy for like the twenty-somethingth time to keep my hype going.

Something I was just wondering about with Andromeda though, is it the entire galaxy that's explorable like in 1-3 or just a small section of it? Because I haven't heard anything about mass relays in Andromeda so I was thinking about how they'd feasibly cover such long distances between systems.

Just the "Helius" cluster.

Woorloog

Banned
A note on ME timeline. It was clearly originally intended to be far longer time, with the games set in 23rd century rather than 22nd. This can be seen in an early trailer. This would have explained how humankind spread so widely (mere 30 years is rather fast, there is some limit to population growth even with massive base population, this even with automation allowing for fast infrastructure expansion). But evidently human presence was not scaled back when timeline was reworked.
One other hint at this original plan can be seen in Presley's dialogue, where he notes his grandfather fought during the First Contact War... Presley, who looks like being in his fifties, talking about his grandfather... With longer human lifespan and using the original timeline, this would've made more sense than it does in the final game.

Anyway, given several other scientific and practical issues (like how mass effect fields actually enable perpetual motion machines and shit on laws of thermodynamics), ridiculously fast human expansion isn't that big deal.

And given this, i can't see the Andromeda Initiative as being that big deal either. People do all sorts of nonsensical things just because. Usually on lesser scale though...

Maledict

Like I said, particular stickler.

First and foremost, what are you basing the plausibility of the 27 year timeline off of? Other civilizations in the real world who, a hundred years from now, have found a technology-imparting monolith left behind by an ancient alien race, but took 50 years to get galactic civilization status?

Like 150 years ago we were on the tail end of the industrial revolution. Ever since then, technological improvement has basically progressed in an exponential manner. Throw in magical space aliens imparting magical space knowledge, some artificial intelligence, mass produced robots, and the sheer amount of raw resources that regular space travel affords you, and I really don't see how you can't find it plausible for humanity to get to the position they're in after 27 years. The question of "why aren't the rest of the galactic races, who've had a thousand years on humans, far surpassed anything we've achieved by then?" is generally answered by the notion of "they're still basing their tech on reaper technology, and that's the level of technology the reapers have set for any civilizations to achieve over the past couple eons".

Secondly, why would it be impossible for a private investor to spend a very large sum of money to build a colony ship? You really can't envision even the slightest possibility for that type of person to exist? As we already know, one of the first people (Alec Ryder) to have set foot on the other side of a Mass relay is heading this thing, so he sure seems to have a vested interest in "going where no man has gone before". Who knows, maybe he got super fucking rich himself, and solely funded the mission? Or maybe some other (group of) angel investor(s) dropped some cash, and went on the ride themselves? Who cares, the point is that there clearly exists some crack in the notion of "It is clearly impossible for a person to exist who would want to fund this mission", some non-zero chance, which is really all you need to be able to tell a story. And that's disregarding any distinct possibility that there is in fact some specific reason for going.

And in terms of finding the people who would want to go on a mission like that, far more human beings than 20.000 have done far dumber shit for far less. Here's a little reality check: Two Hundred Thousand people signed up for the Mars One project, the one way trip to mars. Now, obviously only a fraction of people will actually go through with it, but the point remains that there is clearly some type of person out there who would do something like this.

As to your last point, I really don't think you truly understand how big a number 10+ billion is. When you're talking a number that big, it's almost impossible to make a definitive statement about the statistical impossibility of anything happening. It is absolutely, 100% possible for there to exist ~20.000 (which is 0.0000002% of humanity, by the way) human beings out of 10 billion who would have the specific opinion "I don't care about finding another rock in this galaxy, I'd much prefer to go to a new galaxy, and be among the first to get there". Like, I don't understand how you can't agree with that notion unless you completely don't understand statistical probability. And beside that, we can't even relate what kind of resources such a mission might take. Like, how much is that really compared to what humanity can do? We don't know.

It's really simple re the 27 years thing.

There are literally not enough people. Humanity does not breed fast enough.

Unless literally *every* other species in the galaxy has a birth rate like a Galapagos turtle, at the same time as humanities birth rate suddenly goes back to 10+ kids as the average, there just aren't enough human beings on the planet to suddenly be colonizing all the worlds out there, not to be suddenly equal to races who have been around for millennia.

It's basic laws of population growth. The other species of the galaxy would have an *unbelievable* head start on us, population wise, even if they only had a hundred year head start (and they don't, they have several thousand years). You cannot compete with simple stuff like that, and no hand waving can possibly explain that. It just doesn't work.

DevilDog

We're not playing the game yet. Since when is marketing held into account when it comes to the consistency of narrative?

Does that mean that we shouldn't take it into account because in this case the marketing is bad, or in principle?

Mass effect fields actually enable perpetual motion machines and shit on laws of thermodynamics), ridiculously fast human expansion isn't that big deal.

You've got the power to increase or decrease mass. Laws of science exists under certain hypothesies, Mass Effect changes those hypothesies and makes new laws under them.

Does that mean that we shouldn't take it into account because in this case the marketing is bad, or in principle?

You don't (or don't have to) divulge the exact reasoning behind the premise of the game in the marketing. Normal people think "Going to a new galaxy? Cool!", and wait before get their panties in a bunch if the premise isn't explained well enough until after they've finished the game.

Unless literally *every* other species in the galaxy has a birth rate like a Galapagos turtle, at the same time as humanities birth rate suddenly goes back to 10+ kids as the average, there just aren't enough human beings on the planet to suddenly be colonizing all the worlds out there, not to be suddenly equal to races who have been around for millennia.

It's basic laws of population growth. The other species of the galaxy would have an *unbelievable* head start on us, population wise, even if they only had a hundred year head start (and they don't, they have several thousand years). You cannot compete with simple stuff like that, and no hand waving can possibly explain that. It just doesn't work.

Most of those words have populations more in line with a medium-sized 21st century city, though. They're pretty sparsely populated.

DevilDog

You don't (or don't have to) divulge the exact reasoning behind the premise of the game in the marketing. Normal people think "Going to a new galaxy? Cool!", and wait before get their panties in a bunch if the premise isn't explained well enough until after they've finished the game.

Funny you should mention normal people. Who are they? The ones that can't wait to fuck all the characters or those who were laughing when they realized that BioWare has to run 25 billion light years away to escape the corner they wrote themselves into?

As for the rest, we will see. People may hate BioWare a lot but they are on of my favorites and I think they will manage to make a good game. Don't stress over me getting tilted when they butcher things I loved.

It's weird, I think the race looks cool but I'm not really feeling Jaal's design. Something about the way the outfit appears.

Get with the times, old man. Capes are part of any serious military outfit.

Woorloog

Banned
You've got the power to increase or decrease mass. Laws of science exists under certain hypothesies, Mass Effect changes those hypothesies and makes new laws under them.

Laws of thermodynamics are very, very, very well tested and thought about.
And that perpetual motion machines lead to certain problems, like the energy content of universe increasing rather than being constant, breaking conservation of energy.

Anyway, assuming that those breaches are actually allowed, the question becomes "Why isn't anyone taking advantage of that?".
And i regard that as far more annoying thing than changing laws of physics.

In case someone wonders how the mass effect allows for infinite energy, most easily illustrated with guns in MEverse:
A projectile's mass is lowered so that it can be launched to higher speed*, for more kinetic energy. Mass effect fields are fields, and thus the mass reduction happens only within the gun, once the projectile exits the field, its mass should logically revert to its real mass, for greater kinetic energy.
Since kinetic energy depends on both mass and speed so reducing one to increase the other isn't necessarily particularly useful but mass effect fields effectively circumvent this... and as a result generate energy from nothing.
Free energy would be pretty neat, even for a civilization spanning multiple stars. Much simpler than harvesting solar energy or anything else. And one can do a lot with free energy... For one thing, it would allow eliminating the Reapers ridiculously easily via relativistic weapons (FTL drives can't be used for that since they're black box technology really, as noted in the Codex).

That said, i admit it is possible there is a mechanism that actually prevent utilization of mass effect for infinite energy, preserving conservation of energy. But no such thing is stated anywhere, and that is as bad as not exploring consequences of free energy. (Either follow logical consequences or stop them, this makes for far better worldbuilding and story telling than merely ignoring them.)

*Presumably with coils like a coilgun, using mass effect for gravitational acceleration seems impractical and inefficient at so small scale though not impossible.

Your reasoning is flawed in that you demand a science-fiction space opera story (and a very selective part of it at that) to be probable, not plausible. Why do you take offense at this particular issue, but not at something as fundamental as for example Element Zero? How about the existence of the Reapers? Seems pretty improbable to me.

Anyway, to counter your argument: find me a direct quote of the exact population sizes of any of the galactic races. Go on, I'll wait. Fact is, we don't know what the population size of any of the civilizations is, including humanity. But reasoning this out, if humanity has something like 15 billion people, and the Salarians have something like 200 billion... Where's the issue there? Like, again, where are you getting your information as to how the population growth of technological civilizations behave once they exceed where we're at, let alone once they're truly spacefaring?

And in terms of gaining a place on the galactic council: is it improbable? Well, in some sense it is. Mostly if you believe "seniority" to mean anything or whatever. But there are in-universe reasons for humanity to attain it so fast, and even if there weren't, there wouldn't be a story if humanity didn't gain council status. So they had to. I don't know if you know this, but a lot of good stories work this way too.

Funny you should mention normal people. Who are they? The ones that can't wait to fuck all the characters or those who were laughing when they realized that BioWare has to run 25 billion light years away to escape the corner they wrote themselves into?

As for the rest, we will see. People may hate BioWare a lot but they are on of my favorites and I think they will manage to make a good game. Don't stress over me getting tilted when they butcher things I loved.

I shouldn't have used "normal". I actually just meant "open-minded". Like, a person who doesn't try to break a story apart before he has had the chance to actually experience it.

As to butchering things you love... I don't think you'll ever love Mass Effect more than the people who toil away at making the game for years at a time. Ever taken that into account?

DevilDog

Laws of thermodynamics are very, very, very well tested and thought about.

And that perpetual motion machines lead to certain problems, like the energy content of universe increasing rather than being constant, breaking conservation of energy.
I've done all the laws of Thermodynamics in my university, I know what laws Mass Effect Breaks. However, since it's science fiction here comes the Socratic Questioning.

What if we operate under the assumption that this is real, what would that entail? And from there on out you can have all sorts of complex discussions and thoughts.
Being able to manipulate mass would mean easier, faster transportation, Olypmic weighlifting cheaters, security problems, and what if someone congested Eezo? Death, tumors, disasters and 1 kid that can manipulate mass without the help of machinery. This shit just writes itself.

Anyway, assuming that those breaches are actually allowed, the question becomes "Why isn't anyone taking advantage of that?".
And i regard that as far more annoying thing than changing laws of physics.
It's simple, Mass Effect requires Eezo. It's fucking expensive and if you actually find a source you can build a country around it (Omega). It's also pretty damn rare.

Since kinetic energy depends on both mass and speed so reducing one to increase the other isn't necessarily particularly useful but mass effect fields effectively circumvent this... and as a result generate energy from nothing.
Free energy would be pretty neat, even for a civilization spanning multiple stars. Much simpler than harvesting solar energy or anything else. And one can do a lot with free energy...
It's not free energy. It violates the conservation laws but it's not free.

For one thing, it would allow eliminating the Reapers ridiculously easily via relativistic weapons (FTL drives can't be used for that since they're black box technology really, as noted in the Codex).
This is subtly hinting at better world building and gives depth to the Reapers.

You think you're going to win against them by using technology they gave to you and want you to have?

Well... apparently you do but we can all agree it wasn't the best way to go in the end. Reapers after ME1 became nonesense anyway.

I shouldn't have used "normal". I actually just meant "open-minded". Like, a person who doesn't try to break a story apart before he has had the chance to actually experience it.
BioWare has a habit of doing that without my help, ever since 2010. They broke it apart so hard they had to go to another galaxy to start things over.
And I'm still willing to give them a chance to prove themselves, so I'll go in openminded. I think it's fair.
As to butchering things you love... I don't think you'll ever love Mass Effect more than the people who toil away at making the game for years at a time. Ever taken that into account?
I always take it into account.
I spend more than a decade of my life in music. I know the joy of creating something of your own and having someone else say they love it, and the pain of someone criticizing or hating it.

But criticism and civil discussion is necessairy if you want things to improve, and it's something serious artists value. It's not like people here are being dicks like the people from the gaming threads.

Woorloog

Banned
It's not free energy. It violates the conservation laws but it's not free.

It is effectively free. Far more output than input, so it pays for itself over time, thanks to being infinite in theory. Eezo is a limit certainly, but creating more eezo should be possible with such massive amount of energy breaking law of conservation of energy actually allows for.

EDIT before you ask how: I'll just use the infinite energy to move around some stars, merge them to create supernovas and thus additional eezo. Or i'll just figure out the exact mechanism of converting mass-energy into form of eezo and optimize the creation process.

It is effectively free. Far more output than input, so it pays for itself over time, thanks to being infinite in theory. Eezo is a limit certainly, but creating more eezo should be possible with such massive amount of energy breaking law of conservation of energy actually allows for.

EDIT before you ask how: I'll just use the infinite energy to move around some stars, merge them to create supernovas and thus additional eezo. Or i'll just figure out the exact mechanism of converting mass-energy into form of eezo and optimize the creation process.

Doesn't this assume that they've got a) enough eezo to set up the loop you're suggesting, b) that you wouldn't burn more eezo doing it than than you'd produce, c) that they actually *have* a real mass-energy converter? There's a lot of assumptions going into your hypothesis here.

Those sacs on his neck... Do they inflate/deflate like a frog?

I think they're more ears/head tentacles, going off of the other members of his species we've seen.

But criticism and civil discussion is necessairy if you want things to improve, and it's something serious artists value. It's not like people here are being dicks like the people from the gaming threads.

The 27 years discussion is "civil discussion", and has some phantom of a notion of necessity, I suppose. Although, I relatively certain that everything we've said here, they've already thought about themselves. And all the rest? We're not taking into account the effects of deadlines and the realities of game development, so I'm not sure how useful these particular discussions are.

Criticizing something that isn't out yet? Nah brah, that's completely useless. That's noise and drama. It's what words like "concern trolling" and "shitposting" were invented for. Because there is literally no use to it. What are you trying to change in a positive manner when you don't even know what it is you're trying to change yet? I guess you could say "the marketing", but even then I certainly don't think they should be divulging MORE than they already are. I want to find out why they went to Andromeda while I'm playing the game. I mean, what are we really doing when key plotpoints are expected to be released during their marketing campaign? Do we really want devs to move towards what movie trailers have become?

DevilDog

I think we're veering into the unknown here. We don't have nearly enough data to reach any meaningful conclusion. Without input/output values, we're lost.

Also how would one construct a mechanism that provides infinite energy?

I think we're veering into the unknown here. We don't have nearly enough data to reach any meaningful conclusion. Without input/output values, we're lost.

The 27 years discussion is "civil discussion", and has some phantom of a notion of necessity, I suppose. Although, I relatively certain that everything we've said here, they've already thought about themselves. And all the rest? We're not taking into account the effects of deadlines and the realities of game development, so I'm not sure how useful these particular discussions are.

Criticizing something that isn't out yet? Nah brah, that's completely useless. That's noise and drama. It's what words like "concern trolling" and "shitposting" were invented for. Because there is literally no use to it. What are you trying to change in a positive manner when you don't even know what it is you're trying to change yet? I guess you could say "the marketing", but even then I certainly don't think they should be divulging MORE than they already are. I want to find out why they went to Andromeda while I'm playing the game. I mean, what are we really doing when key plotpoints are expected to be released during their marketing campaign? Do we really want devs to move towards what movie trailers have become?
People discussing stuff they care about in Mass Effect can help devs set out priorities. Thus, devs can set out their own goals in accordance with deadlines and organization. This happened with ME2, they collected feedback and decided they won't pour resources into exploration and focus on the characters.

As for the marketing situation, it isn't good. BioWare set out to make us "feel" the vibe of travelling to another galaxy and it's wonders, yet we're wondering why on earth we're going there anyway when the playerbase feels they've barely explored the Milky Way. Damn we're barely explored the races and their homeworlds.

I'm not asking them to show more. Everything so far has been perfectly non spoilery, and I applaud them for showing restraint. I wish more studios were like BioWare in that regard, no matter what people here say about there "being no marketing".
All I'm asking is to show me why we are leaving, if you have a good explanation. You know, set the premise of the sequel.

Anyway, it's late and I'll be off for a couple of days. Peace MassGaff, you're nice.

Corsick

Those sacs on his neck... Do they inflate/deflate like a frog?

The fleshy chunks of skin on his neck makes him and any clothes he wears look awkward and poorly fitting. Kind of a weird species, although that kinda helps lend to its uniqueness. I guess they're supposed to be reminiscent of cobras in a vague way? I'm completely on the fence on if I like their design. Their torso armor/clothing is a bit weird at the neck area.

Woorloog

Banned

The guns in Mass Effect already do that.
I mean, unless i'm somehow mistaken and have been for years, they're fluffed as using the mass effect fields to reduce the mass of the bullet so that they can be fired at higher velocity (for the energy used). Since it is a field, the mass reduction stops when the bullet exits the field and evidently their speed isn't reduced nor is it lost as heat or anything else, so the bullet should have higher kinetic energy.
This effect can be easily exploited for net-energy production, instead of just having better guns.

If i am mistaken, then i really wonder why have complex mass effect field powered gun instead of chemical propellant, because "more powerful guns" cannot be a reason. There is a limit how powerful handheld weapons can be (along with other considerations like weight), and it is already possible to create guns powerful enough they can't be handled practically. Logistics doesn't work either, I'll just use a laser weapon (it seems to me power source would not be an issue in Mass Effect universe).

The fleshy chunks of skin on his neck makes him and any clothes he wears look awkward and poorly fitting. Kind of a weird species, although that kinda helps lend to its uniqueness. I guess they're supposed to be reminiscent of cobras in a vague way? I'm completely on the fence on if I like their design. Their torso armor/clothing is a bit weird at the neck area.

It weirds me out...

...but that's because it looks alien... ...so it succeeds in it's design.

People discussing stuff they care about in Mass Effect can help devs set out priorities. Thus, devs can set out their own goals in accordance with deadlines and organization. This happened with ME2, they collected feedback and decided they won't pour resources into exploration and focus on the characters.

As for the marketing situation, it isn't good. BioWare set out to make us "feel" the vibe of travelling to another galaxy and it's wonders, yet we're wondering why on earth we're going there anyway when the playerbase feels they've barely explored the Milky Way. Damn we're barely explored the races and their homeworlds.

I'm not asking them to show more. Everything so far has been perfectly non spoilery, and I applaud them for showing restraint. I wish more studios were like BioWare in that regard, no matter what people here say about there "being no marketing".
All I'm asking is to show me why we are leaving, if you have a good explanation. You know, set the premise of the sequel.

Anyway, it's late and I'll be off for a couple of days. Peace MassGaff, you're nice.

You're not making a good case for why we should be arguing about the validity of the reasoning behind going to Andromeda when we don't even rightly know the reasoning behind going to Andromeda. Also, the premise is "A group of adventurers takes a 600 year long trip to Andromeda to seek new frontiers" or something like that. Premises don't include elaboration.

prag16

Banned
For Nvidia you're gonna have to increase that budget. You'd want a 1060 minimum.

For ATi a 470 can be had for that price if you wait for the right deal.
It's all relative. If he's looking to pull higher than PS4 performance the 1050ti he already bought is fine.

Also should be noted that the RX470 and 1060 aren't comparable. The latter shits on the former from great height.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

See, you've got something wrong there - it's been implicitly stated that they fully intend to reconnect back with Earth, and the technology exists at the time of the AI departure to contact Earth instantaneously via paired QEC (which can be explained away easily, if the paired link has been destroyed by the Reapers).

It's not that hard to suspend disbelief in their cause at all.

Eh, not commenting on the Initiative's purpose but taken at face value, I don't see why it's so inconceivable. We're sending probes and shit to Pluto and beyond when we've mapped maybe 5% of our own ocean. The hunt for knowledge and "what's out there" isn't gated.

We send probes to pluto, not colony ships. We're also pretty sure we know most of what isn't in our oceans, regardless of the fact that we have only mapped approximately 5% of its seafloor. We don't really care what the detailed seafloor maps of our oceans look like in most cases, and discovering new tiny microorganisms that can survive in deep places is slightly interesting but rarely applicable to anything. Exploring outer space gives us vastly different new information and new opportunities.

In Mass Effect, the galaxy contains seemingly infinite room to expand with new habitable planets to colonize, new species to discover, new resources to exploit, new astrological wonders to explore.

What's particularly stupid about the Andromeda initiative is sending the explorers in blind. Life is teeming in the Milky Way... why would they assume it wasn't in Andromeda? What happens if we get there and it's already occupied and it's unfriendly to humans? Too late to turn back now, we've been flying there for 600 years. This is why we send probes before we dive headfirst into colonization efforts. It's a very clumsy premise to the game.

How exactly is the Andromeda Initiative any different from early explorers here, e. g., whoever first colonized Hawaii and similar places? Or the Vikings?

People have been pointing their ships at an empty horizon for no good reason for 1000s of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom